2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 386 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81065Likes

post #11551 of 22132 Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Agreed, and that confirms with me that I’ve been blessed with a good panel. I sit about 8 feet from a 77” C8 in a man cave, so defects would be easily identifiable. Another point I’d like to make: I was watching playoff football this past weekend, and noticed no motion artifacts or other issues, but I have a rooftop antenna with TiVo, so I’m wondering if at least part of the problem some are experiencing are due to compression artifacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Compression is definitely a possibility. For as long as I can remember we always had OTA television with the antenna on the rooftop. PQ was always far better than any of our neighbors who had cable or sat. A lot of Super Bowl parties were held at our house for that very reason. We moved last year and had to finally get cable because our location was just not good for OTA. Fortunately for us, there are only two other households who share the cable box at the street (on our property) so we've had really good luck with local HDTV via cable. Comcrap had to run a brand new coax from the street to our house so it's basically a new install. Compression artefacts have not been an issue for us.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11552 of 22132 Old 01-14-2019, 11:54 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6763 Post(s)
Liked: 6766
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post
Having a problem with my 77" C8 and the fact that the entire TV/panel is bent/curved. This creates an image that is slighlty "warped", something that can seen by some but not all viewers (mostly seen by the ones with good eye sight). Its not very easy to meassure but from what we have seen, there is about 10 mm difference between the edges as shown in these images (we don't have a spirit level / bubble level that is long enough but that is a plank that should be straight as it is an skirting board that is manufactured in an industrialized environment and we have tried several with the same result).

Sorry for the bad quality of the images
I am not saying you unit does not have a bend in it but you need a "known" straight edge to measure that, like a "good" aluminium level. You can not use a piece of wood as you do not know if that is straight for sure.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
Imagine how bad the 8K TVs will be for up converted 1080 or even 4k. Everything will be fuzzy and trashy. Its unfortunate that they released 8K so quickly.
Nut sure if iot will be trashy or not, but 8K is pretty much a waste as far as TV's go, maybe a projector with 110" screen or so, but not a smaller screen.
improwise likes this.
post #11553 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I am not saying you unit does not have a bend in it but you need a "known" straight edge to measure that, like a "good" aluminium level. You can not use a piece of wood as you do not know if that is straight for sure.....

Nut sure if iot will be trashy or not, but 8K is pretty much a waste as far as TV's go, maybe a projector with 110" screen or so, but not a smaller screen.

Yes, but its easier said than done finding something like that that is long enough. This is the best we could find and then we used a shorter level to try to make sure the plank was as straight as it would be. The fact that the TV is bent is quite obvious but messuring it is a bit trickier. Do you happen to know allowed tolerances in manufacturing here?

Only other reason for image being a bit "warped" I can think of would be an uneven front glass, not sure how common that would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11554 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am considering 65 C8. But 80-90% of content that i watch are movies and video files that have black bars top/bottom or left/right. 10-20% content is fullscreen movies and games. Pixels in corners will be shut off most of the time, which means that they wont be used as much as the rest of the screen. How long do you think it would take that i start seeing brighter corners (due to low wear) in games and fullscreen material?

I watch stuff mostly at night (about 6 days a week) so brightness wont be ramped up.
ari821 likes this.

Last edited by totaddy; 01-15-2019 at 05:44 AM.
post #11555 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone. I have an OLED C8 65 "already with 400 hours. And today I realized that I have a retention of channel logo and also of wide movies. I am trying to make pixel refresh manually but without any success. When I put it to start now, the tv turns off , but after 10 minutes it automatically turns on with the warning that the pixel refresher has been interrupted and can not be completed.I have tried several times and always shows the same warning.

Anyone else with this problem?
post #11556 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, but its easier said than done finding something like that that is long enough. This is the best we could find and then we used a shorter level to try to make sure the plank was as straight as it would be. The fact that the TV is bent is quite obvious but messuring it is a bit trickier. Do you happen to know allowed tolerances in manufacturing here?

Only other reason for image being a bit "warped" I can think of would be an uneven front glass, not sure how common that would be?

We were able to find a better "tool" for measuring this, a molded brass bar that is perfectly straight (for this purpose at least to make the problem obvious). Surely this must be a bend/curve beyond whats acceptable?

Last edited by improwise; 01-15-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #11557 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
We were able to find a better "tool" for measuring this, a molded brass bar that is perfectly straight (for this purpose at least to make the problem obvious). Surely this must be a bend/curve beyond whats acceptable?

I went through a couple 77 and they all have a slight curve to them. Maybe you have the stick one side more. If you moved it not so close to one side does it show more of a curve?
improwise likes this.
post #11558 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I have heard that due to the very thin frames, it is normal to have some curve. Honestly, that much deviation over the entire screen isn't bad and I wouldn't be bothered by it. I'm sure mine curves a bit too. If you have good uniformity/no banding issues, I would keep it.
improwise and gymnos like this.
post #11559 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Greetings --

I have a couple of questions.

Is there a way to check the video info on the internal LG Apps like Netflix and Amazon? I have the app on my phone, and the info button works fine on external devices, but I get no banner detail on the internal app. I do get a "badge" when video starts if the show is in DV or HDR.

For you Roku users out there, have any of you had success with the "Auto Adjust Display Refresh Rate" setting described here? I'm under the possibly mistaken impression that it's best to pass a signal to the TV and let it work it's magic with the Refresh Rate, but with this setting on the Roku Ultra, many netflix videos just give a black screen, requiring me to go to the Roku Home Menu, or reboot.

Finally, I fired up Lost In Space on the internal Netflix app, got the DV badge, and checked settings. It appears the default for Trumotion on DV is CLEAR? My guess is the forum's wisdom would be to set this to OFF, or user 0 0?

Thanks for your feedback!

David
post #11560 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
And those reasons
I mean the companies have to keep generating reasons for consumers to upgrade. The "traditional" upgrade cycle for a television is too long for the modern economy. The marketing departments have to "create" reasons (e.g. roll-able screens) to generate sales. Ideally reasons that fail after a while (e.g. 3D, 21:9, curved screens) which drive yet more purchases.

Of course it is tricky applying some of this to (larger) niche markets like OLED (I believe LG expected OLED to be 20% of sales last year).

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500H/LG C8
post #11561 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just wanted to share my recent experience fixing a streaming issue I had with my C8 over WiFi using the LG Plex app. The issue was that streaming 4K video didn't playback without pausing (buffering occurred frequently). My WiFi was configured to support both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks using the same network name (for convenience). I assumed the C8 was joining the 5GHz network and it would sometimes but often it would join the 2.4 GHz network or switch while watching a film. In order to force the C8 to join the 5 GHz network I renamed the network so it differed from the 2.4GHz network and configured the C8 to join the new network SSID. Since I've done this I've not seen any buffering playing 4K video over the WiFi via Plex.
mrtickleuk and 11thunder07 like this.
post #11562 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I have heard that due to the very thin frames, it is normal to have some curve. Honestly, that much deviation over the entire screen isn't bad and I wouldn't be bothered by it. I'm sure mine curves a bit too. If you have good uniformity/no banding issues, I would keep it.

Well, the problem isn't really the curve itself but the fact that the entire picture is warped, which is clearly visible when using it for HTPC usage. Stack 2 windows horisontally and its is kind of obvious and gives a feeling of being a bit dizzy. It is not as obvious when viewing full screen video though. We have tried to "live with it" but once you have seen it, its not possible to unsee it. Its a shame as the panel itself seem to be close to perfect in all other regards. The irony is that before this one, we had a curved (not by choice) 78" Samsung and wanted to replace that with a flat one
post #11563 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I went through a couple 77 and they all have a slight curve to them. Maybe you have the stick one side more. If you moved it not so close to one side does it show more of a curve?

Well, we have tried to make the picture as "manufacturer friendly" as possible to avoid discussions about them being "staged". To us, this bend is more than enough and if it is not sorted out, we will probably demand a full refund. May I ask you you returned your first 77"s?
post #11564 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Re flickering on my LG E8.
Just had the main board and screen replace by LG.
Lets hope all is ok now.
Just have to run it in for a couple of hundred hours.
post #11565 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
Just wanted to share my recent experience fixing a streaming issue I had with my C8 over WiFi using the LG Plex app. The issue was that streaming 4K video didn't playback without pausing (buffering occurred frequently). My WiFi was configured to support both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks using the same network name (for convenience). I assumed the C8 was joining the 5GHz network and it would sometimes but often it would join the 2.4 GHz network or switch while watching a film. In order to force the C8 to join the 5 GHz network I renamed the network so it differed from the 2.4GHz network and configured the C8 to join the new network SSID. Since I've done this I've not seen any buffering playing 4K video over the WiFi via Plex.

I agree about the 5 GHz wireless. It works better on my LG and Roku without any buffering. Especially in the evening when everyone in the neighborhood turns on their microwaves and their respective networks, things get noisy in the 2.4 GHz band.
post #11566 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininous View Post
Hello everyone. I have an OLED C8 65 "already with 400 hours. And today I realized that I have a retention of channel logo and also of wide movies. I am trying to make pixel refresh manually but without any success. When I put it to start now, the tv turns off , but after 10 minutes it automatically turns on with the warning that the pixel refresher has been interrupted and can not be completed.I have tried several times and always shows the same warning.

Anyone else with this problem?
Something doesn't sound right to me. I have never tried to use the manual pixel refresh, so maybe others can comment. But it also sounds strange that you are seeing image retention after only 400 hours. That doesn't sound right.
post #11567 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgr131 View Post
Is there a way to check the video info on the internal LG Apps like Netflix and Amazon? I have the app on my phone, and the info button works fine on external devices, but I get no banner detail on the internal app.
I have the app on my phone and I can't even get the video info on external apps, like Netflix on the ATV4k. I hit the info button and nothing happens.
post #11568 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
News about flashig macroblock?
post #11569 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked: 7360
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
TV? I want to know who cleans your house? I am in the USA, and I will pay that person's plane ticket!!
Haha. As I said, it wasn't my staircase. And I've never been a delivery guy either, I just remember reading about it
That picture was just plucked at random to help people visualise the challenge! The guy holding the top of the 60kg TV had to go up it backwards!
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11570 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I have the app on my phone and I can't even get the video info on external apps, like Netflix on the ATV4k. I hit the info button and nothing happens.
If you are using Netflix on the AppleTV then you need to use the Apple remote to show the Netflix info banner which is shown in the attached photo.

When you are using an external device like the AppleTV and you press the click wheel on the LG remote then you will see the HDMI banner at the top similar to the one shown in Live TV.

The LG phone app will only show the info for the internal Netflix app on the TV itself.

On internal apps you will NOT see the big black banner that you normally see on Live TV or HDMI inputs.

I hope that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FILE0297.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	2511206  
Jrocker23 likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #11571 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daicon Frost View Post
News about flashig macroblock?
LG is working on a fix. It will take some time ( 3-4 months) :

Since the firmware update relates to the TVs’ picture quality, it will have to go through an especially stringent testing process before rolling out to TVs. LG estimates that this could take as much as three or four months.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#13d0ca542c25

TV : LG OLED 65C8 [U]
post #11572 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
The LG phone app will only show the info for the internal Netflix app on the TV itself.

On internal apps you will NOT see the big black banner that you normally see on Live TV or HDMI inputs.

I hope that makes sense.
What button do you press to get that data? I press the info button in the ios app, and I don't get any response in the netflix app on the LG.

I do get the big banner with data when I press the info button with my Roku or Directv content.
post #11573 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went back and watched the youtube video again, and I had misinterpreted it. I didn't realize it was only talking about the internal Netflix app. Thanks.
post #11574 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I’m taking a hard look at the 65” C8, has anyone came from what was I think one of the last plasma TVs made, the Samsung PN60F8500. My usage is about 80% streaming with the Nvidia Shield (hard wired gigabit connection), 10% broadcast, and 10% gaming. My viewing distance is a 8’. I’m wondering what your thoughts are if you made a similar jump.

Last edited by dustman52; 01-15-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #11575 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Greetings --

I have a couple of questions.

Is there a way to check the video info on the internal LG Apps like Netflix and Amazon? I have the app on my phone, and the info button works fine on external devices, but I get no banner detail on the internal app. I do get a "badge" when video starts if the show is in DV or HDR.

For you Roku users out there, have any of you had success with the "Auto Adjust Display Refresh Rate" setting described here? I'm under the possibly mistaken impression that it's best to pass a signal to the TV and let it work it's magic with the Refresh Rate, but with this setting on the Roku Ultra, many netflix videos just give a black screen, requiring me to go to the Roku Home Menu, or reboot.

Finally, I fired up Lost In Space on the internal Netflix app, got the DV badge, and checked settings. It appears the default for Trumotion on DV is CLEAR? My guess is the forum's wisdom would be to set this to OFF, or user 0 0?

Thanks for your feedback!

David
I have had Roku Ultras connected to my 77C8 (since May) and a Sony 900D (for over a year and a half), both set to “disabled” and have never had any streaming quirks with any app I was watching. Everything has looked fine. Though I have never had any problems my entire life with seeing motion or judder when at the movies or watching in my HT.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #11576 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
What button do you press to get that data? I press the info button in the ios app, and I don't get any response in the netflix app on the LG.

I do get the big banner with data when I press the info button with my Roku or Directv content.
So you can control the TV with the app but the Info button doesn't work with the internal Netflix app? That's strange and I'm afraid I don't have an answer.

It works for me on my Android phone and my iPad. I'm pressing the button in the bottom right:

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #11577 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
So you can control the TV with the app but the Info button doesn't work with the internal Netflix app? That's strange and I'm afraid I don't have an answer.

It works for me on my Android phone and my iPad. I'm pressing the button in the bottom right:

I'll double check again tonight. Thanks!

D
post #11578 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6763 Post(s)
Liked: 6766
Quote:
My 65" has a bend in it........

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman52 View Post
I’m taking a hard look at the 65” C8, has anyone came from what was I think one of the last plasma TVs made, the Samsung PN60F8500. My usage is about 80% streaming with the Nvidia Shield (hard wired gigabit connection), 10% broadcast, and 10% gaming. My viewing distance is a 8’. I’m wondering what your thoughts are if you made a similar jump.
Plasma guys usually love OLED 's I know this plasma guy does.....
tbass2k likes this.
post #11579 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Plasma guys usually love OLED 's I know this plasma guy does.....
What he said.
post #11580 of 22132 Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman52 View Post

I've done that, well, kind of as I had an E6 and a C7 inbetween. The OLED just blows the F8500 out of the water.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page