2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 389 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81139Likes

post #11641 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 344
^^ I really do not think front projectors will be in any serious trouble anytime soon or even later. They will deliver better technology just like OLED, CLEDIS, etc are improving. Nothing beats a 120" screen in a light controlled room, just my opinion!
emergetech likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11642 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ I really do not think front projectors will be in any serious trouble anytime soon or even later. They will deliver better technology just like OLED, CLEDIS, etc are improving. Nothing beats a 120" screen in a light controlled room, just my opinion!
A 120" micro-LED or rollable OLED would certainly beat it. Projectors have long since been surpassed in picture quality. Screen size is the only advantage they currently hold.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #11643 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
My Brightness adjustment went from 55 to 51 over the first 300 hours using a Test Disk and Test Patterns on a USB Stick. This is on my Display they are all different.
I think you will find that the settings all change alot during the first 300 hours. I could see verifiable change by meter and pattern generator for the first 400 hours.
Doesn’t changing brightness affect HDR differently than you would expect it to with SDR? Have you found lowering your brightness setting has impacted your picture quality in any negative way... as in, maybe you elimated clouding but the blacks were minorly crushed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11644 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
I just got a 65" C8 coming from an older DLP RPTV. I also have a JVC projector with a 100" screen. While the Oled looks fantastic, there is something about the film like look of the JVC that I would still prefer to watch movies on it. I love C8 for TV watching, streaming HDR shows, and sports. But when I want to watch a movie, it's the projector. Actually I was surprised how well it held its with with SDR BT2020 UHD content tone mapped from my Panasonic ub820. Part of this is size, but there is also a feel to the image that makes it more like a movie than TV....so to speak. I had thought if I could get a roll down 100" Oled, I'd do it over a FP, but now I'm not so sure.
smitty and tanman like this.
post #11645 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Doesn’t changing brightness affect HDR differently than you would expect it to with SDR? Have you found lowering your brightness setting has impacted your picture quality in any negative way... as in, maybe you elimated clouding but the blacks were minorly crushed?
Ya but size/quality will still have to face the price option.
post #11646 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I have only set the Brightness specifically where the test disk, test pattern, or pattern generator told me to set it. I learned a long time ago that trying to change settings from broadcaster to broadcaster is impossible. The Best you can do with all calibrations,where broadcasters are concerned is to find the Top 3 channels that you watch most and then split the differences between those 3 and live with it. I have a Major Broadcaster in my area who can't even get all their Cameras to look the same when they are doing the news. As for DVD players I set them up one time with meters, test patterns and live with it, till I change it out.

Black levels are so hard to get to look right sometimes because of Director's one time they want you to see deep and other times not, so they will play with brightness levels right in the middle of something.
So to answer your original question. Sometimes a little crushed Black makes 90% of the rest of my picture look better . My personal opinion is the if I have to error on one side or the other I usually prefer a slight crushed black.
But when it's right by manufactures Display and Video media it is a beautiful thing.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #11647 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
I just got a 65" C8 coming from an older DLP RPTV. I also have a JVC projector with a 100" screen. While the Oled looks fantastic, there is something about the film like look of the JVC that I would still prefer to watch movies on it. I love C8 for TV watching, streaming HDR shows, and sports. But when I want to watch a movie, it's the projector. Actually I was surprised how well it held its with with SDR BT2020 UHD content tone mapped from my Panasonic ub820. Part of this is size, but there is also a feel to the image that makes it more like a movie than TV....so to speak. I had thought if I could get a roll down 100" Oled, I'd do it over a FP, but now I'm not so sure.

Nothing beats the JVC projectors contrast, brightness and size for the price option, at present. And it looks phenomenal. I mostly watch movies on the projector unless they are of the dark variety like Harry Potter and Alien series....
post #11648 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 7416
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
Is dithering and Macro-blocking in near dark scenes the correct description of the issue?
Vincent coined the term "near-black chrominance overshoot".

Macroblocking is not this issue, as Vincent explains, and as we've been saying for 4 months . Macroblocking can be made far worse when the content has this following problem: "the bitrate was far too low". When you combine that with very dark near-black content (where OLEDs can struggle), you get large visible blocks. If on the other hand the bitrate had been decent, you'd get less of this but because near-black is so difficult it's one of the weaknesses of OLEDs. (Why don't you get this on LCDs? Because they can't get anywhere near this dark in the first place!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller
I do see flashing in dark content as well. But I think that problem goes hand and hand with this macroblocking and crushing issue.
No, it's been proved that they are two utterly separate issues. Please let's not undo months of very careful investigation :-)

I'll post this again, please watch it and it'll catch you up to date (that reddit thread is outdated now):

HTH
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-17-2019 at 12:53 PM.
post #11649 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post

Macroblocking is not this issue, as Vincent explains, and as we've been saying for 4 months . Macroblocking can be made far worse when the content has this following problem: "the bitrate was far too low". When you combine that with very dark near-black content (where OLEDs can struggle), you get large visible blocks. If on the other hand the bitrate had been decent, you'd get less of this but because near-black is so difficult it's one of the weaknesses of OLEDs. (Why don't you get this on LCDs? Because they can't get anywhere near this dark in the first place!)

No, it's been proved that they are two utterly separate issues. Please let's not undo months of very careful investigation :-)

I'll post this again, please watch it and it'll catch you up to date (that reddit thread is outdated now):
https://youtu.be/KjObx--Oq8g

HTH
I'll take your word (and Vincent's) on this problem - I'm no expert all I can say is that I've seen these issues since day one on my otherwise lovely C8. I certainly hope that LG comes through on a fix for these kinds of issues sooner rather than later.
post #11650 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
I have only set the Brightness specifically where the test disk, test pattern, or pattern generator told me to set it. I learned a long time ago that trying to change settings from broadcaster to broadcaster is impossible.

Yep. That's why I calibrated my LCD years ago for movies only (blu-ray) because the signal was the most consistent and most films adhered to the rec.709 standards. I then copied the calibrated settings to the OTA input for broadcast television and then tweaked to taste. Some stations were consistent and others weren't, but given the wide variability in source material it was just something I learned to live with. Live news was ok, but anything else.......

Fortunately I haven't seen a need to calibrate the C8 because the basic settings seem to work very well with just a few modifications as the panel has "aged".

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11651 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
My 55E8 is two weeks old today and quite the upgrade from the 2012 Samsung 7100.
My only disappointment so far is my center channel speaker now resides behind the LG, and I cannot enjoy the new audio codecs with my current RX-A2000 and Oppo BDP 93 equipment. Ah, but things could be worse. I will enjoy what I am lucky to have!
I have read a lot of this forum and I'm impressed with the knowledge the members have. I have a long way to go to even begin to understand a lot of topics being discussed but I think I have benefitted to a small degree from some posts thus far.
Keep up the good work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	777.2 KB
ID:	2512180  
post #11652 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

https://youtu.be/KjObx--Oq8g

HTH
Please look again at my pics again and let me know what you think. I know there are many different un-related issues discussed here, but what I am seeing seems different than what you are referring. I never see any flashing and most of the time the issue is quite removed from near black, and seems most noticeable in dim closeup scenes of dark hair and dark clothing.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoULwacw8Ndygo1R_NM0CoT8ASE5iQ
post #11653 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainiac116 View Post
My 55E8 is two weeks old today and quite the upgrade from the 2012 Samsung 7100.
My only disappointment so far is my center channel speaker now resides behind the LG, and I cannot enjoy the new audio codecs with my current RX-A2000 and Oppo BDP 93 equipment. Ah, but things could be worse. I will enjoy what I am lucky to have!
I have read a lot of this forum and I'm impressed with the knowledge the members have. I have a long way to go to even begin to understand a lot of topics being discussed but I think I have benefitted to a small degree from some posts thus far.
Keep up the good work!

I purchased a new media console to accommodate the 65 C8 and new audio components. I wanted to have the audio compliment the C8 without compromise.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11654 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Please look again at my pics again and let me know what you think. I know there are many different un-related issues discussed here, but what I am seeing seems different than what you are referring. I never see any flashing and most of the time the issue is quite removed from near black, and seems most noticeable in dim closeup scenes of dark hair and dark clothing.

You're not imagining things, I have seen similar issues on my C8.
post #11655 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 7416
Quote:

Hmm. Ok, yes it's not the near-black chrominance overshoot, or macroblocking. Looks like severe posterisation to me. Does this happen in every picture mode? What if you use technicolor with the factory defaults?

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11656 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I purchased a new media console to accommodate the 65 C8 and new audio components. I wanted to have the audio compliment the C8 without compromise.
Unfortunately I do not have enough space to accomodate a new console, but maybe I can research a "taller" console. Thanks for the inspiration!
calfcramp likes this.
post #11657 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6793
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
The marvel shows are the worst
Maybe film quality but the movies are great

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I think the 88” will be affordable in a few years (and even better than the current iteration). At that point, front projectors could be in some serious trouble. It wasn’t so very long ago the 77” was 20k. We’re moving in the right direction, it’s a great time for a home theater hobbyist to be alive!
I doubt a high end 85" + will be available for below $10,000. Has not happened yet ijn history, not a high end.

Quote:
All you have to do is fire up a DLA-RS540u and anyone would agree with you. $4000 for the projector MSRP, $300 for a screen.......
smitty and BobDyl like this.
post #11658 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
LG OLED 65E8 question.
Just received my set today and have a quick question. I can’t get 4K on the sets internal Netflix or amazon prime apps. Works fine through my Apple TV 4K external box. I’m I missing something or is this normal
Question 2 where in the menus to I check if I have the current firmware update.
Thanks
post #11659 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike I View Post
LG OLED 65E8 question.

Just received my set today and have a quick question. I can’t get 4K on the sets internal Netflix or amazon prime apps. Works fine through my Apple TV 4K external box. I’m I missing something or is this normal

Question 2 where in the menus to I check if I have the current firmware update.

Thanks
Make sure your apps are up to date.

For updates go to
Settings / general / about this tv / check for updates

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Mike I likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #11660 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Hmm. Ok, yes it's not the near-black chrominance overshoot, or macroblocking. Looks like severe posterisation to me. Does this happen in every picture mode? What if you use technicolor with the factory defaults?
All picture modes with default settings look very similar. Source is Directv network shows, normally very good. I should add, I can improve somewhat if I adjust brightness up or down a bit from 50, never the same amount and direction though.
post #11661 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Make sure your apps are up to date.

For updates go to
Settings / general / about this tv / check for updates

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Thanks much
post #11662 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
Rtings did a year long test and black bars have zero effect on the TV you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Did rting do a test with black bars as in movie, can you please share that result?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11663 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Maybe film quality but the movies are great

I doubt a high end 85" + will be available for below $10,000. Has not happened yet ijn history, not a high end.

All you have to do is fire up a DLA-RS540u and anyone would agree with you. $4000 for the projector MSRP, $300 for a screen.......

To take advantage of the JVC you will need a bat cave. To take advantage of OLED in all its glory is a dim room. Advantage OLED
calfcramp and healthnut like this.
post #11664 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Yeah this looks like really bad posterization like others said. Do you have a timestamp of any show/movie on amazon/netflix that shows similar results?

Do you have MPEG Noise Reduction turned on? Try playing with that at different levels and see if it makes a difference...that setting is also tied to color banding reduction..that's not exactly what I see in your images but perhaps it may help.
post #11665 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post
Did rting do a test with black bars as in movie, can you please share that result?
Thanks
Did you read the rting's report?
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #11666 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari821 View Post

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's in YouTube.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #11667 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Quote:

That's not specific to just the 8 series. My E6 would do that as well as my FALD LCD. Low bitrate streaming is the main culprit.
Ph8te, smurraybhm, Cam1977 and 1 others like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #11668 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
That's not specific to just the 8 series. My E6 would do that as well as my FALD LCD. Low bitrate streaming is the main culprit.
Have never seen this on any panel except LG OLEDs (multiple FALD sets and plasmas). Saw it within the first day of owning a C8. I definitely agree that low bitrate streaming contributes, but perhaps the effects are simply much worse on the LGs.
post #11669 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Was watching A Few Good Men off Apple TV 4K. It's a 4K Dolby Vision title. It looks great for the most part. But at several points, especially whenever Danny (Tom Cruise) is interviewing his clients, there tends to be a distracting flicker or flashing of the wall behind Danny (good example is at 52:41). Then, if you can't quite see that, check out the flickering sky at 56:36.

Anyone else seeing that? I'll need to go back and watch something else now just to convince myself it's the transfer and something hasn't gone terribly wrong with my TV. =)
post #11670 of 22277 Old 01-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
White Balance Greyed Out & HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color Off

Had the C8 for about a month.

Performed a couple of factory resets to access "White Balance" settings and turn HDMI Ultra Deep Color on, but once HDMI inputs are assigned to Oppo 4K player and other components, White balance greys out and HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color reverts back to off.

Is this normal? Seems odd to me, thinking it may be a bug, defect..

Any input is greatly appreciated.

MIKEY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page