2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78909Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11671 of 19344 Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Member
 
t4t3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
That's not specific to just the 8 series. My E6 would do that as well as my FALD LCD. Low bitrate streaming is the main culprit.
Have never seen this on any panel except LG OLEDs (multiple FALD sets and plasmas). Saw it within the first day of owning a C8. I definitely agree that low bitrate streaming contributes, but perhaps the effects are simply much worse on the LGs.
t4t3r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11672 of 19344 Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Member
 
Hurin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Was watching A Few Good Men off Apple TV 4K. It's a 4K Dolby Vision title. It looks great for the most part. But at several points, especially whenever Danny (Tom Cruise) is interviewing his clients, there tends to be a distracting flicker or flashing of the wall behind Danny (good example is at 52:41). Then, if you can't quite see that, check out the flickering sky at 56:36.

Anyone else seeing that? I'll need to go back and watch something else now just to convince myself it's the transfer and something hasn't gone terribly wrong with my TV. =)
Hurin is offline  
post #11673 of 19344 Old 01-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Member
 
BrianJB7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
White Balance Greyed Out & HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color Off

Had the C8 for about a month.

Performed a couple of factory resets to access "White Balance" settings and turn HDMI Ultra Deep Color on, but once HDMI inputs are assigned to Oppo 4K player and other components, White balance greys out and HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color reverts back to off.

Is this normal? Seems odd to me, thinking it may be a bug, defect..

Any input is greatly appreciated.

MIKEY
BrianJB7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11674 of 19344 Old 01-17-2019, 10:03 PM
Member
 
Hurin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJB7 View Post
Had the C8 for about a month.

Performed a couple of factory resets to access "White Balance" settings and turn HDMI Ultra Deep Color on, but once HDMI inputs are assigned to Oppo 4K player and other components, White balance greys out and HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color reverts back to off.

Is this normal? Seems odd to me, thinking it may be a bug, defect..

Any input is greatly appreciated.

MIKEY
My guess would be that the TV is balking at your HDMI cables. Before I got my C8 and the Apple TV 4K, I would have been skeptical that cables matter that much. But the cheap Amazon basics HDMI cables I got that claimed to be high-speed wouldn't let the Apple 4K TV enable 4:4:4 chroma or Dolby Vision reliably. When I finally replaced all my cables with Monoprice certified HDMI cables, all problems went away.

Last edited by Hurin; 01-18-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Hurin is offline  
post #11675 of 19344 Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,025
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6405 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
To take advantage of the JVC you will need a bat cave. To take advantage of OLED in all its glory is a dim room. Advantage OLED
True, but if the wife says you can have a bat cave, you have a bat cave
calfcramp likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #11676 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After the ice storm power outage last weekend, my 65E8 lost the connection to the cable box program. I went through the setup to reconnect it to the box a couple of times, but no luck. I finally physically pulled the plug on the TV and then plugged it in after a couple of minutes. Only then could I reconnect and set of cable box favorites on the E8 and have it show the cable programs. I don't want to do a full factory reset to fix this in the future, which would probably work, as that resets everything. Any thought on a 'partial reset' other than unplugging and plugging back in?

Great room:LG OLED65E8PUA, Anthem MRX720, Speakers 5.1.4 Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, UB5. S12EQ. 4x Elac A4 Atmos speakers, 2x Emotiva BasX A-100 for atmos speakers -
Man Cave: Vizio P65-F1, NAD T758v3 + Emotiva XPA-5 gen1, Emotiva T2 towers, C2 center, E2 surrounds and Monoprice Monolith 12
JBMeteo is offline  
post #11677 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
That's not specific to just the 8 series. My E6 would do that as well as my FALD LCD. Low bitrate streaming is the main culprit.
Are we sure of this? I have seen this problem on my own C8 with various content - and when I switch to my 10-year old Kuro I don't see these issues.
hhaller is offline  
post #11678 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 2,086
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
So I know I am probably in the minority here who does their own calibrations with Calman. For those of you that do as well, you know that the 2018 models support full 3D LUT with Calman autocal. The only problem is you need a pattern generator for HDR10 and DV. The 2019 models will have built in patterns for both HDR formats so you don't need an HDR patten generator.

What I wish, even more than a firmware update for airplay2 support, is for LG to give us the ability to run autocal with built in pattern support. That would be a killer feature to have!
calfcramp likes this.
curlyjive is offline  
post #11679 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Maybe film quality but the movies are great
i was referring to the shows on Netflix, they're grainy heavy
guitarguy316 is online now  
post #11680 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,674
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I was watching The Orville on Fox (OTA) last night and noticed the first really bad instance of macro-blocking on my C8. It was a scene in a cave about midway thru. The cave background was all blotchy and jumpy. Yikes... I sure hope LG's next firmware will fix this. The only other TV that I've owned with a macro-blocking issue was a Samsung DLP rear projector but the Samsung was 10x worse and I ended up getting rid of it after a year or so.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #11681 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Member
 
wfiveash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is anyone seeing a problem with the remote control buttons like play, pause, back stop working while the C8 is on? I'm seeing this regularly when something has been playing for a while and the remote not used for that time.
wfiveash is offline  
post #11682 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
bobkat007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
Have never seen this on any panel except LG OLEDs (multiple FALD sets and plasmas). Saw it within the first day of owning a C8. I definitely agree that low bitrate streaming contributes, but perhaps the effects are simply much worse on the LGs.
The problem also does not appear on my FALD LCD. At first I thought it was a processing issue on the C8 at near black light levels, but the problem is not limited to near black, actually is worse closer to dark to light greys. I need to investigate further, have not had time to look at streaming or Blu-ray content. Best description I have is a combination of posterization and macro-blocking in low lit scenes. Need to look at something other than Directv before I jump to conclusions.
bobkat007 is offline  
post #11683 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
The problem also does not appear on my FALD LCD. At first I thought it was a processing issue on the C8 at near black light levels, but the problem is not limited to near black, actually is worse closer to dark to light greys. I need to investigate further, have not had time to look at streaming or Blu-ray content. Best description I have is a combination of posterization and macro-blocking in low lit scenes. Need to look at something other than Directv before I jump to conclusions.
I watch streaming exclusively...would be interested in hearing about your viewing experience. Try some of the darker Netflix content (Daredevil, Haunting of Hill House, Hold the Dark, etc.).
hhaller is offline  
post #11684 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Member
 
t4t3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I also get my content exclusively through streaming (DTV Now, PS Vue, YoutubeTV, Netflix, etc), and the first instance of it I ever saw was on an LG OLED. Testing with 4 other panels (2 FALD LED and 2 plasma) and none of them exhibit it to any degree with the exact same streamed content via a built-in app or my Apple TV. I also don't believe I've seen it on an LG OLED when streaming the same content in 4k with or without HDR/DV, but I think others have posted that they HAVE seen it in either hi-quality 1080p content (ie., Blu-ray) or even UHD. To be clear, and someone else with more experience could confirm, I think this is a separate issue than the flashing/chrominance overshoot problem that has been well-documented, although I've seen different verbiage used both here and in regard to the pending fix from LG.
t4t3r is offline  
post #11685 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I was watching The Orville on Fox (OTA) last night and noticed the first really bad instance of macro-blocking on my C8. It was a scene in a cave about midway thru. The cave background was all blotchy and jumpy. Yikes... I sure hope LG's next firmware will fix this. The only other TV that I've owned with a macro-blocking issue was a Samsung DLP rear projector but the Samsung was 10x worse and I ended up getting rid of it after a year or so.
So that is weird, because I watched the Orville last night and had no instance of macro-blocking. Unfortunately I think there are way to many variables to determine what is exactly going on. I watched it on Comcast/Xfinity....that is variable 1. Also, what are your settings? Variable 2. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the LG processor is very susceptible to it's source and that combined with the settings, what your provider is all add in to the pot. That is probably why some people see issues and some don't I can tell you that the macro blocking that I have experienced is all source material related. The one that stands out to me is an episode of the Mayans from FX. I recorded this particular episode and when I watched it....very dark scene with a car set on fire, I saw the macro blocking. I could rewind and cause it everytime. I just got through rewatching the series from On-demand and that scene was perfect this time. Luke Cage season 2 has a similar scene, not sure what episode at the moment, that there is a night scene and a truck blows up and there are flames and very bright spots....again no macro-blocking.

Please don't get me wrong...I am not saying there is nothing wrong with your TV, all I am saying is that there may be a lot of variables involved in this issue and that is why LG may be taking so long to get a firmware fix out for this. I know it's also frustrating for people who have these issues, and people like myself come back with "nope, my set doesn't show that". I am not trying to rub it in anyone's face, just trying to put out there that not all sets seem to be affected by these issues and there is hope that maybe you will get the viewing pleasure you were expecting. In all sincerity good luck and I hope a fix is coming soon!!
RavenBF is offline  
post #11686 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
I also get my content exclusively through streaming (DTV Now, PS Vue, YoutubeTV, Netflix, etc), and the first instance of it I ever saw was on an LG OLED. Testing with 4 other panels (2 FALD LED and 2 plasma) and none of them exhibit it to any degree with the exact same streamed content via a built-in app or my Apple TV. I also don't believe I've seen it on an LG OLED when streaming the same content in 4k with or without HDR/DV, but I think others have posted that they HAVE seen it in either hi-quality 1080p content (ie., Blu-ray) or even UHD. To be clear, and someone else with more experience could confirm, I think this is a separate issue than the flashing/chrominance overshoot problem that has been well-documented, although I've seen different verbiage used both here and in regard to the pending fix from LG.
I saw it for the first time streaming in DV this week, which is what sent me down this rabbit hole. Didn't matter if I was using the built in app or Apple TV.
hhaller is offline  
post #11687 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
Is anyone seeing a problem with the remote control buttons like play, pause, back stop working while the C8 is on? I'm seeing this regularly when something has been playing for a while and the remote not used for that time.
Ok, I'll bite. Yes I have major problems with play and pause buttons on the remote - there are no play and pause buttons, and I'd like some!
TimRex likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #11688 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Did you read the rting's report?
@grittree I think he expects to ask a series of questions and other people to cut and paste the answers into here, despite being given the information and R-Tings having a VERY comprehensive website

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #11689 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
Have never seen this on any panel except LG OLEDs (multiple FALD sets and plasmas). Saw it within the first day of owning a C8. I definitely agree that low bitrate streaming contributes, but perhaps the effects are simply much worse on the LGs.
Vincent discussed this at the start of his video (re-re-re-posted only yesterday! HERE). He says that LGs use lower bit-depth for near-black quantisation in the panel.

This is not the same issue as the near-black chrominance overshoot (which causes the "flashing" effect) which LG are working on to fix in firmware. Both issues are discussed separately in that video.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #11690 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBF View Post
Please don't get me wrong...I am not saying there is nothing wrong with your TV, all I am saying is that there may be a lot of variables involved in this issue and that is why LG may be taking so long to get a firmware fix out for this.
Well, they've only just started. They've taken 1 week so far, that's not long at all. (The engineers would have been flat out preparing for CES before that).

Quote:
I know it's also frustrating for people who have these issues, and people like myself come back with "nope, my set doesn't show that". I am not trying to rub it in anyone's face, just trying to put out there that not all sets seem to be affected by these issues and there is hope that maybe you will get the viewing pleasure you were expecting. In all sincerity good luck and I hope a fix is coming soon!!
Yes, we all do. Thanks for your kind understanding

Just for your information, even thought this has been re-posted again and again, all 2018 LG OLEDs are affected since we're all running the same firmware. It is the panel variation which determines how much you will see, if anything.

Vincent says in the video I linked to above:
"From my investigation, this affects all 2018 LG oleds"
  • "If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits above the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, then you may not actually see this problem at all".
[Very important - we know it affects all 2018 panels: it will still be there, but you just won't see it]

I expect you fall into this category. There's not much value in people in this category telling everyone else they don't see it, to be honest. Before LG committed to fix it, when we were trying to establish how many people were affected, sure, but not really now

The message we need to share is that yes it's a known issue, and LG has committed to fixing it.

Equally:
  • If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits a long way below the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, you'll see it terribly.
  • If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits a bit below the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, you'll see it a bit. [me!]
  • If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits only just below the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, you'll barely see it at all.
calfcramp, RavenBF and JV_82 like this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #11691 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,610
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4t3r View Post
I also get my content exclusively through streaming (DTV Now, PS Vue, YoutubeTV, Netflix, etc), and the first instance of it I ever saw was on an LG OLED. Testing with 4 other panels (2 FALD LED and 2 plasma) and none of them exhibit it to any degree with the exact same streamed content via a built-in app or my Apple TV. I also don't believe I've seen it on an LG OLED when streaming the same content in 4k with or without HDR/DV, but I think others have posted that they HAVE seen it in either hi-quality 1080p content (ie., Blu-ray) or even UHD. To be clear, and someone else with more experience could confirm, I think this is a separate issue than the flashing/chrominance overshoot problem that has been well-documented, although I've seen different verbiage used both here and in regard to the pending fix from LG.

The ONLY time I've seen macroblocking on my C8 was watching Roswell the other night on the CW (Comcrap local HDTV only). I've never seen it on other network broadcast stations so I just attributed it to source. Streaming Hill House via the ATV4k was amazing and issue-free. So has anything else we've streamed whether it but upconveted 1080i to 4k or 4k HDR. We are in the process of watching S3 of The Expanse (streamed via iTunes on the ATV4k) and it has lots of dark scenes and flashing lights (explosions, etc) and there are never any pq issues. The scenes of dark space with stars et al in the background is just amazing.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #11692 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 10:34 AM
Member
 
wfiveash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Ok, I'll bite. Yes I have major problems with play and pause buttons on the remote - there are no play and pause buttons, and I'd like some!

I've attached a photo of the remote that came with the C8...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1,002.8 KB
ID:	2512628  
wfiveash is offline  
post #11693 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,634
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
I've attached a photo of the remote that came with the C8...

Which is how mine looks, could be USA v European.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #11694 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Well, they've only just started. They've taken 1 week so far, that's not long at all. (The engineers would have been flat out preparing for CES before that).



Yes, we all do. Thanks for your kind understanding

Just for your information, even thought this has been re-posted again and again, all 2018 LG OLEDs are affected since we're all running the same firmware. It is the panel variation which determines how much you will see, if anything.

Vincent says in the video I linked to above:
"From my investigation, this affects all 2018 LG oleds"
  • "If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits above the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, then you may not actually see this problem at all".
[Very important - we know it affects all 2018 panels: it will still be there, but you just won't see it]

I expect you fall into this category. There's not much value in people in this category telling everyone else they don't see it, to be honest. Before LG committed to fix it, when we were trying to establish how many people were affected, sure, but not really now

The message we need to share is that yes it's a known issue, and LG has committed to fixing it.

Equally:
  • If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits a long way below the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, you'll see it terribly.
  • If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits a bit below the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, you'll see it a bit. [me!]
  • If you have a panel whose near-black luminance sits only just below the brightness threshold that is required to trigger this issue, you'll barely see it at all.
Point taken Sir!! Again, choice of words.....it's not that I am not affected, I just don't see it!! I have a tendency lately to drop out of the forums for a couple of weeks then come back, so if I am rehashing something that is going on and on, my bust and I am sorry!!! Again, I just hope that when all is said and done, a fix comes out and everyone can have the awesome viewing experience that comes with an OLED!! I am going to crawl under my rock now for another two weeks!!
calfcramp, Cam1977 and mrtickleuk like this.
RavenBF is offline  
post #11695 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,199
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked: 3477
^round and round😆😆😆
Cam1977 is online now  
post #11696 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
bobkat007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Vincent discussed this at the start of his video (re-re-re-posted only yesterday! HERE). He says that LGs use lower bit-depth for near-black quantisation in the panel.

This is not the same issue as the near-black chrominance overshoot (which causes the "flashing" effect) which LG are working on to fix in firmware. Both issues are discussed separately in that video.
'lower bit-depth for near-black quantisation'


Does anyone have a pic that they can post that accurately depicts this quoted issue?
bobkat007 is offline  
post #11697 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
I've attached a photo of the remote that came with the C8...
No way! First you guys are allowed to see how many hours you've used, and now this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Which is how mine looks, could be USA v European.
Yes. Looks like it. Here's mine:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8 Remote - no play pause.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2512644  

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #11698 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked: 6702
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
'lower bit-depth for near-black quantisation'


Does anyone have a pic that they can post that accurately depicts this quoted issue?
All explained in Vincent's video in great detail.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #11699 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
bobkat007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
'lower bit-depth for near-black quantisation'


Does anyone have a pic that they can post that accurately depicts this quoted issue?
And could there be a firmware fix for that also? To me, 'lower bit-depth for near-black quantisation' is way more bothersome to me than the overshoot chrominance issue.
bobkat007 is offline  
post #11700 of 19344 Old 01-18-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,634
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
No way! First you guys are allowed to see how many hours you've used, and now this!

Yes. Looks like it. Here's mine:

Well that's not fair. Keep in mind your consumer protection laws are a lot better in Europe than the US.
Markalark and mrtickleuk like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off