2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 401 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80771Likes

post #12001 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4874 Post(s)
Liked: 7171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
Put Warcraft in the concerned list of 4k hdr movies with elevated black. Background during the credits is grey while black bars remain true black.
Instead of confining that to owners of this TV, why not post that in https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ted-often.html
calfcramp and smurraybhm like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12002 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Well I went ahead and packed it up and hauled it back to Costco since I had a few weeks left to return and I was off today. Anyways, returned with no issues. Apparently price is now $2,449 in store plus the $100 3-year warranty so I ended up getting some money back. Anyways, the interesting thing is that they had just a few left but they were all "901" serial numbers, which I believe means these were all built in January 2019, so as new as they come off the production line.

Hopefully this one is the same or better with banding and develops no dead pixels. I won't go looking but keeping my fingers crossed.
Glenee likes this.
post #12003 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Looks like maybe a dead green sub pixel?
Patient: It hurts when I do this?

Doctor: Don't do that.
calfcramp and smurraybhm like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12004 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey Guys,

Getting ready to purchase this TV and am falling down the rabbit hole of researching streaming devices. Reading other posts like 'just purchased c8 ..what streaming device should I buy?' or 'apple 4k tv to go with new c8?' ...I feel like I've found devices that output what I want (hdr10, dolby vision, atmos, and dts x ..basically the newer av formats), but can't seem to find one that does it across all apps that I use (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu). I feel like there's a catch with every streaming device, like one streaming device does HDR 10 but not Dolby Vision with a certain app or another streaming devices does both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision but not atmos with another app etc. or something like that ..but if I'm not mistaken, the c8's itself through webos can do everything I'm talking about, right? I never hear anyone saying they just use their c8's webos to get the above av formats on these apps and are happy. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone else in the same boat or was before purchasing this TV? Thanks.

Last edited by keith104; 01-29-2019 at 05:55 PM.
post #12005 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Built-in apps work great for 4K HDR (netflix, amazon, plex).
post #12006 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith104 View Post
Hey Guys,

Getting ready to purchase this TV and am falling down the rabbit hole of researching streaming devices. Reading other posts like 'just purchased c8 ..what streaming device should I buy?' or 'apple 4k tv to go with new c8?' ...I feel like I've found devices that output what I want (hdr10, dolby vision, atmos, and dts x ..basically the newer av formats), but can't seem to find one that does it across all apps that I use (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu). I feel like there's a catch with every streaming device, like one streaming device does HDR 10 but not Dolby Vision with a certain app or another streaming devices does both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision but not atmos with another app etc. or something like that ..but if I'm not mistaken, the c8's itself through webos can do everything I'm talking about, right? I never hear anyone saying they just use their c8's webos to get the above av formats on these apps and are happy. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone else in the same boat or was before purchasing this TV? Thanks.
The only apps that use Dolby vision to my k knowledge are vudu and Netflix and the TV apps work just fine for those. I use a shield to stream everything else. I had an apple TV and returned it. There are a few iptv apps I can't use on the apple TV that's why I returned it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #12007 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
The only apps that use Dolby vision to my k knowledge are vudu and Netflix and the TV apps work just fine for those. I use a shield to stream everything else. I had an apple TV and returned it. There are a few iptv apps I can't use on the apple TV that's why I returned it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have not found any apps that do not work well from the TV itself. Many people also are not aware that if you bookmark a favorite place (I have some streaming sites) in the webos, the first five bookmarks will give you an option to place a tile (canvas as they refer to them) directly in the menu on the tv. I have more sites, with excellent Dolby than I have time to use!
post #12008 of 21681 Old 01-29-2019, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWoodJr View Post
I'm having the same issue. My receiver is pretty old (Yamaha V2400). When I turn on stereo bypass the delay is acceptable, but on the Surround Sound setting I'm getting about 50ms of delay relative to the video. I wonder if a newer receiver would be faster to decode surround sound?
I have a new receiver and there is still a slight audio delay via ARC. Its not terrible, and its less apparent when Dolby Vision content is playing (i guess due to increased video processing). I think the issue comes from the TV itself.

I just dont know why the AV Sync Adjustment's negative nudges were removed for 2018 OLED's...
WPWoodJr and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12009 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith104 View Post
Hey Guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
Built-in apps work great for 4K HDR (netflix, amazon, plex).
I agree with hiperco. We only stream our video (hardwired with 25Mbs service) using the C8s built-in apps. Netflix has UHD HDR & Dolby Vision & it seem to me that Prime's "Jack Ryan" series was in Dolby Vision, too. YouTubeTV replaced our Dish Network & saved us $65 per month & I cannot tell any difference in PQ. Streaming is definitely the future.

If there is a problem with the C8 it's WebOS. It works fine but is limited in apps when compared to devices like nVidia Shield, Roku & others.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
post #12010 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
E8 HDR problems

Hello! I'm my parents' tech support, but I'm having some trouble. They recently purchased a 65" LG E8 4K HDR OLED etc. etc. TV, and were excited to try it with their 4K Blu-ray player. However, when plugging in a 4K Blu-Ray the player spat out a message saying "Please connect to a TV that supports 4K and HDR for the best experience." Okay, so the receiver doesn't do 4K properly, no big deal - unplug the receiver and plug the player directly into the TV. Bam, now 4K works... but only when manually selected from the player's settings menu. Setting it to "Auto" outputs at 1080p.

However, now we have issues with the HDR. The TV continually gives a prompt saying it will set the HDMI port to "Ultra HD Deep Color Mode," with the only option being "OK." The prompt cannot be cancelled or cleared in any way apart from actually turning off the entire TV. So you click "OK" and it stops detecting a signal from the Blu-Ray player. Alright, go into the settings and disable Ultra HD Deep Color Mode for HDMI Port 1 and - the prompt immediately appears again. The prompt appears no matter what HDR or Deep Color settings are selected in the Blu-Ray Player's settings menu, despite the "HDR" tag appearing in the top-right corner of the TV and LG's own website saying I shouldn't need to use UHD Deep Color if the source is an HDR source.

I tried two separate 4K UHD Blu-Ray Players (Sony UBP-X800 and Samsung UBD-K8500), manually changing both the output resolutions and HDR settings, which produced the same results with the UHD Deep Color prompt on the TV. I tried three different 4K Blu-Rays (How To Train Your Dragon, The Fifth Element, and Hacksaw Ridge), and all four HDMI ports on the TV. My initial assumption was that the cables were inadequate to properly display HDR content but these are nice cables, and I have additionally swapped out cables from a second setup that I know is working properly (my parents upstairs setup, with a Sony X-930E and another UBP-X800) and was met with the same issue, again on BOTH the Sony and Samsung players.

The TV is running Firmware 04.10.15. According to my parents, this issue did NOT occur prior to this firmware update.

I have tested:
Different Blu-Rays
Different Blu-Ray players
Different HDMI ports
Different HDMI cables
All produce the exact same results, an uncancellable "For an optimized viewing experience..." prompt with the HDR tag and the visually-apparent massive brightness increase that comes with properly functioning HDR.

TL;DR: HDR broke how fix, not hardware problem

Do you guys have any idea what is going on or how I might fix it?
post #12011 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikenh View Post
Hello! I'm my parents' tech support, but I'm having some trouble. They recently purchased a 65" LG E8 4K HDR OLED etc. etc. TV, and were excited to try it with their 4K Blu-ray player. However, when plugging in a 4K Blu-Ray the player spat out a message saying "Please connect to a TV that supports 4K and HDR for the best experience." Okay, so the receiver doesn't do 4K properly, no big deal - unplug the receiver and plug the player directly into the TV. Bam, now 4K works... but only when manually selected from the player's settings menu. Setting it to "Auto" outputs at 1080p.

However, now we have issues with the HDR. The TV continually gives a prompt saying it will set the HDMI port to "Ultra HD Deep Color Mode," with the only option being "OK." The prompt cannot be cancelled or cleared in any way apart from actually turning off the entire TV. So you click "OK" and it stops detecting a signal from the Blu-Ray player. Alright, go into the settings and disable Ultra HD Deep Color Mode for HDMI Port 1 and - the prompt immediately appears again. The prompt appears no matter what HDR or Deep Color settings are selected in the Blu-Ray Player's settings menu, despite the "HDR" tag appearing in the top-right corner of the TV and LG's own website saying I shouldn't need to use UHD Deep Color if the source is an HDR source.

I tried two separate 4K UHD Blu-Ray Players (Sony UBP-X800 and Samsung UBD-K8500), manually changing both the output resolutions and HDR settings, which produced the same results with the UHD Deep Color prompt on the TV. I tried three different 4K Blu-Rays (How To Train Your Dragon, The Fifth Element, and Hacksaw Ridge), and all four HDMI ports on the TV. My initial assumption was that the cables were inadequate to properly display HDR content but these are nice cables, and I have additionally swapped out cables from a second setup that I know is working properly (my parents upstairs setup, with a Sony X-930E and another UBP-X800) and was met with the same issue, again on BOTH the Sony and Samsung players.

The TV is running Firmware 04.10.15. According to my parents, this issue did NOT occur prior to this firmware update.

I have tested:
Different Blu-Rays
Different Blu-Ray players
Different HDMI ports
Different HDMI cables
All produce the exact same results, an uncancellable "For an optimized viewing experience..." prompt with the HDR tag and the visually-apparent massive brightness increase that comes with properly functioning HDR.

TL;DR: HDR broke how fix, not hardware problem

Do you guys have any idea what is going on or how I might fix it?
Just to get it out of the way, are you using this type of cable with the hologram? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #12012 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Instead of confining that to owners of this TV, why not post that in https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ted-often.html
Because it happens with this tv and not really with others, at least in my experience.

My C8 is mostly fine but I do get some weird gray stuff going on at times with near black, left side especially. Was watching Lady Bird on Bluray the other day and a shot of the night sky had looked noticeablh brighter on the left hand side of the screen. I know these tvs have uniformity issues in this regard, and oleds in general can have trouble with near black content.

Most of the time I can’t notice this, but it can be very offputting at times when the ‘grayish blacks’ rear their ugly head.
post #12013 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhur212 View Post
Just to get it out of the way, are you using this type of cable with the hologram? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

No, I am not using those cables. I have swapped out cables that work fine with the Sony player on a 4K Sony TV. Still the same issue with the LG.
post #12014 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6526 Post(s)
Liked: 6240
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Why are you disabling UHD Deep Color?!? That needs to be enabled in order for 4K HDR. Plug the UHDBR player into an input and enable UHD Deep color. Set the player to “Auto” and it should display HDR for HDR and SDR for SDR.

Last edited by Ph8te; 01-30-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #12015 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhur212 View Post

Those are Premium High Speed HDMI cables which are certified by an ATC to meet all HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications, but are only certifiable to 25'. His issue is probably not cable related.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12016 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Why are you disabling UHD Deep Color?!? That needs to be enabled in order for 4K HDR. Plug the UHDBR player into an input and enable UHD Deep color. Set the player to “Auto” and it should display HDR for HDR and SDR for SDR.
I never once said I had it disabled. I have a Panasonic UB820 plugged directly into the TV for video. Sometimes grayish blacks happen where they otherwise wouldnt have on an LCD tv.
post #12017 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
I never once said I had it disabled. I have a Panasonic UB820 plugged directly into the TV for video. Sometimes grayish blacks happen where they otherwise wouldnt have on an LCD tv.

Sorry, quoted the wrong poster.
post #12018 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:
No, I am not using those cables. I have swapped out cables that work fine with the Sony player on a 4K Sony TV. Still the same issue with the LG.

Please see above.
post #12019 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Once you buy a firestick and down load some third party apps, you will see why no other devise is worth having.....
Piracy ain't cool bruh...
smurraybhm likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #12020 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Please see above.
I have already tried that and I get a "no signal" message on the E8 when set exactly as you stated. I was only trying to disable because I get the "no signal" message when is is enabled.
post #12021 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I have already tried that and I get a "no signal" message on the E8 when set exactly as you stated. I was only trying to disable because I get the "no signal" message when is is enabled.

Did you try going away then back to input when you get “no signal”. That no signal is usually a source or cable issue (the the UHDBR player is on). It could be a handshake issue as well.
post #12022 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has to be the cables. Which ones are you using?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #12023 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Has to be the cables. Which ones are you using?

Hmm, I too thought that Deep Color was disabled so that's why I mentioned that it probably wasn't the cable. We need to know how long the cable run is. If under 25', then Premium High Speed HDMI cables would be something to consider.

post #12024 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Hmm, I too thought that Deep Color was disabled so that's why I mentioned that it probably wasn't the cable. We need to know how long the cable run is. If under 25', then Premium High Speed HDMI cables would be something to consider.
I am using these cables from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-6f...i+cables&psc=1

They work to my Sony 4K
post #12025 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They work to my Sony 4K
Get some blue jean cables.

post #12026 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

They work to my Sony 4K
If those cable works then that's fine. At under 10', most cables will work, for now. However, they are not certified, and they list them under the Product Description as "HDMI 2.0 cable" which is highly suspicious because HDMI.org asked cable mfrs years ago to not label cables with the HDMI hardware version. Just label them as High Speed HDMI or Premium High Speed HDMI if the cable has been certified to meet all HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications. In that case, the cable will come with a QR label for authenticity. That being said, there are no 100% guarantees that any cable will work because there are other factors that go into a successful cable connection other than the data pipe (cable).

post #12027 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Get some blue jean cables.
I agree. I use BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables.

post #12028 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
I agree with hiperco. We only stream our video (hardwired with 25Mbs service) using the C8s built-in apps. Netflix has UHD HDR & Dolby Vision & it seem to me that Prime's "Jack Ryan" series was in Dolby Vision, too. YouTubeTV replaced our Dish Network & saved us $65 per month & I cannot tell any difference in PQ. Streaming is definitely the future.

If there is a problem with the C8 it's WebOS. It works fine but is limited in apps when compared to devices like nVidia Shield, Roku & others.

I must be the only person that has issues with the C8's built in Amazon app then. I constantly get freezes in it and the last two times I got a hard freeze where I had to hard reset the TV to get it back up and running. I am also hard wired. The Netflix app has had no problems at all though. I actually just ordered the Amazon Fire Stick 4K to use it just for Amazon Prime Video because of the issues I've had with the C8 internal app.
post #12029 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezman View Post
I must be the only person that has issues with the C8's built in Amazon app then. I constantly get freezes in it and the last two times I got a hard freeze where I had to hard reset the TV to get it back up and running. I am also hard wired. The Netflix app has had no problems at all though. I actually just ordered the Amazon Fire Stick 4K to use it just for Amazon Prime Video because of the issues I've had with the C8 internal app.
Actually I too have had issues with the Amazon App. Based on a response from Amazon tech support, I did a factory reset on the TV (yuck, I know). This helped a lot, but the last time I watched Amazon video I experienced crash that required a power cycle of the TV. Ugh...
post #12030 of 21681 Old 01-30-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
Actually I too have had issues with the Amazon App. Based on a response from Amazon tech support, I did a factory reset on the TV (yuck, I know). This helped a lot, but the last time I watched Amazon video I experienced crash that required a power cycle of the TV. Ugh...
You can also uninstall apps and re-install them. That fixed a VUDU issue for me.
calfcramp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page