2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 404 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80427Likes

post #12091 of 21274 Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck View Post
For those of you on the fence about upgrading from Plasma to the C8, I just returned my C8 and hooked up my 11 year old Kuro 141FD. Although the C8 is brighter with higher resolution, the image on the Pioneer is more pleasing in many other ways. Much smoother and more realistic colors IMO. Appears to have considerably more depth. For me, definitely not a $3000 upgrade. Hopefully the C9 will change things as I don't know how much longer I will have with my Kuro.
Thats so old. No 4k. No HDR Dolby vision and atmos, no technicolor hdr that no one uses but the c8 can do it... and the apps, so many APPS, and the IQ tech because i need to control my washer not just with the 16 too many cycles by lg with my fingers, and not jusg through an app, i need to tell my lg tv to wash delicates and extra rinse!!! How do you survive???

In all seriousness your TV cant handle 4k, HDR, smart connectivity, apps... that said i dont know what your sound scenario is. Drop the $$... now i havent looked at c9 rumors so i cant tell you to wait but the c8 is not getting much cheaper and it does everything... like looks great, is not 7k for an oled and seems pretty futureproof.

If you can grab a 2018 Nakamichi 9.2.4 Shockwafe or 7.2 Shockwafe Elite: these models are exactly the same as the 2019 models that are coming... the same hardware with newer firmware that is being given for free to the 2018 owners. You can pay 550-900 now or 1600+ when all stock is gone and Nakamichi sends the new series: same hardware as 2018 with their new firmware built in... wanna pay 700 more for not having to get a 2018 version if you can and upgrade a firmware yourself? it even says these are the same and will have the exaxt same performance.

The nakamichi shockwafe has dts x, dts the rest, dolby atmos and all the dolby rest, has 3 hdmi inputs to plug into and arc that passes all video 4k hdr and dolby vision while processing all of the sound types you could need, bluetooth, neural x and dolby surround which can a 2 channel pcm and blow it up rediculously never mind dolby and dts tech.

2018 and 2019 CES Best in show

11 years, the lg c8 IS THE TV that processes things i did not know existed, you gotta have the sound go with it.

Like a bed or a phone, bug money drop, its time to cycle to the 21st century. And right now you can probably save 1500 for only a couple weeks if you can find stock.

As for c9, will it make me breakfast? Of course it will be better somehow. But the c8 is good for years. I dont see anyone buying anything else for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
nelamvr6 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 21274 Old 02-01-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
What picture mode did you use on the C8?
Thats the question... lots of BS to turn off to make it look like it should... and modes... then again it was the first tv i looked at out of the box and actually was very surprised how good it looked... then i changed modes and disabled everything but dynamic tone mapping and hdmi deep color... even better.

Btw did i say 4k and hdr? Its 2019. Not a dis, its serious encouragement to use the opportunities right now for this person to upgrade.

0h yeah... 65INCH dont 55 it.

post #12093 of 21274 Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
For those of you on the fence about upgrading from Plasma to the C8, I just returned my C8 and hooked up my 11 year old Kuro 141FD. Although the C8 is brighter with higher resolution, the image on the Pioneer is more pleasing in many other ways. Much smoother and more realistic colors IMO. Appears to have considerably more depth. For me, definitely not a $3000 upgrade. Hopefully the C9 will change things as I don't know how much longer I will have with my Kuro.
I have the C8 and a Pioneer 151. In a dim room watching cable the 151 is still a great TV. I can relate to the smoother part as you are not upscaling HD content to a 4K resolution plus I love the Plasma dithering process for low light scenes. The C8 still does a commendable job at upscaling. The Kuro’s have great colors but the C8 also excels in this area especially in Technicolor mode. I don’t think the C9 will drastically change anything. The C8 does what the Kuro does plus adds so much more to the table like perfect blacks, HDR and Dolby Vision 4K content, Smart TV apps and the list goes on. In my house I watch the C8 100% of the time and the 151 is in another room that other family members watch periodically. Maybe OLED pricing will come down enough for you to eventually make the switch. Buy if you are used to a Kuro only OLED will make you happy going forward.
RBO and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12094 of 21274 Old 02-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
What picture mode did you use on the C8?
For non DV and HDR material I primarily used the Expert Dark or Bright modes. Turned off all processing except dynamic tone control. I didn't use the technicolor mode that much. Found it a little dim and colors slightly faded.

Don't get me wrong, the C8 displayed an excellent image but the Kuro just had a more natural look I didn't experience with the LG. Maybe I had a bad panel or it required professional calibration.
post #12095 of 21274 Old 02-01-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6589 Post(s)
Liked: 6587
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
I have the C8 and a Pioneer 151. In a dim room watching cable the 151 is still a great TV.
Man, that is one hell of a TV, there are alot of things that are better on a plasma.....
post #12096 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked: 7029
Quote:
For non DV and HDR material I primarily used the Expert Dark or Bright modes. Turned off all processing except dynamic tone control. I didn't use the technicolor mode that much. Found it a little dim and colors slightly faded.
Hope you had the colour temperature set to "Warm2", in Expert Dark or Bright modes, otherwise it would have looked bad.

[note: the sentence above is not talking about the Technicolor Expert mode, which is different to all the others]

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the C8 displayed an excellent image but the Kuro just had a more natural look I didn't experience with the LG. Maybe I had a bad panel or it required professional calibration.
Fair enough. Perhaps amateur or professional calibration would help, and remember that the panel takes 100-200 hours to settle in. I've got excellent results with Calman direct LUTs on mine, you can get the charts very accurate without too much trouble but beyond that it's a matter of choose which white point to use to give the best perceptual match to what you're aiming for.

I hope you turned "Dynamic contrast" off, and you were referring to "Dynamic Tone Mapping" above . I used to leave DTM on but recently started experimenting with even turning that off for 1,000-nit content, as it's analysing the incoming signal and has to react and the TV can do ~800 nits anyway so doesn't have to tone-map the luminance that much. It is of most use for 4,000 nit content.
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-02-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #12097 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
Hope you changed the colour temperature to "Warm2", which is not the default, otherwise it would have looked bad
That’s a false statement. If you’re still on the latest fromwire, you should leave to warm1 for technicolor modes as that aligns with the changes they made to hit a different white point. Google it
RBO, Otto Pylot and smurraybhm like this.
post #12098 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

That has been my experience as well. And my C8 is calibrated by Chad B.

I wish that my 64F8500 (also calibrated by Chad B) had lasted a year longer than it did, I'm wondering how much of an improvement the C9 will be.
post #12099 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 09:30 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:

I'll call bs on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
That has been my experience as well. And my C8 is calibrated by Chad B.

I wish that my 64F8500 (also calibrated by Chad B) had lasted a year longer than it did, I'm wondering how much of an improvement the C9 will be.

My Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO150FD was a wonderful tv, but I didn't hesitate to give it to my middle son after I got my 77" C8. You both are missing the point already made by @starrfighter and @pwiss at the top of this page. The plasma was indeed great at resolutions of 1080p or less. That is, if all you are interested in watching is SDR, then of course, uprgrading from the plasma to a UHD 4K television makes no sense. If you however do want the 4K resolution and a better reproduction of 1080p or less it is then a no-brainer to upgrade to the C8. My only disappointment when I first got my 65" C8 was that it looked marginally better with blacks in SDR than my 60" Kuro but the negligible increase in screen size left me wanting more. So I then also purchased a 77" and have not even used the 65" since (I am however moving in a month and will be putting the 65" in the new bedroom). What really makes all the difference between the Kuro plasma and the C8 in assuring that you get the most bang for the buck with a major upgrade in quality of image reproduction is proper adjustments to PM and, of course. size matters.

edit: Forgot to mention about your other point that your C8 was calibrated by Chad B but you were still underwhelmed by your C8's performance. I am extremely pleased with my personal efforts at adjusting my PM settings on the 77" that I have been wondering if I should not bother with the tentative appointment I have with Chad B come May. Your comment pretty much is the final nail in that coffin.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 02-02-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #12100 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikenh View Post
Hello! I'm my parents' tech support, but I'm having some trouble. They recently purchased a 65" LG E8 4K HDR OLED etc. etc. TV, and were excited to try it with their 4K Blu-ray player. However, when plugging in a 4K Blu-Ray the player spat out a message saying "Please connect to a TV that supports 4K and HDR for the best experience." Okay, so the receiver doesn't do 4K properly, no big deal - unplug the receiver and plug the player directly into the TV. Bam, now 4K works... but only when manually selected from the player's settings menu. Setting it to "Auto" outputs at 1080p.

However, now we have issues with the HDR. The TV continually gives a prompt saying it will set the HDMI port to "Ultra HD Deep Color Mode," with the only option being "OK." The prompt cannot be cancelled or cleared in any way apart from actually turning off the entire TV. So you click "OK" and it stops detecting a signal from the Blu-Ray player. Alright, go into the settings and disable Ultra HD Deep Color Mode for HDMI Port 1 and - the prompt immediately appears again. The prompt appears no matter what HDR or Deep Color settings are selected in the Blu-Ray Player's settings menu, despite the "HDR" tag appearing in the top-right corner of the TV and LG's own website saying I shouldn't need to use UHD Deep Color if the source is an HDR source.

I tried two separate 4K UHD Blu-Ray Players (Sony UBP-X800 and Samsung UBD-K8500), manually changing both the output resolutions and HDR settings, which produced the same results with the UHD Deep Color prompt on the TV. I tried three different 4K Blu-Rays (How To Train Your Dragon, The Fifth Element, and Hacksaw Ridge), and all four HDMI ports on the TV. My initial assumption was that the cables were inadequate to properly display HDR content but these are nice cables, and I have additionally swapped out cables from a second setup that I know is working properly (my parents upstairs setup, with a Sony X-930E and another UBP-X800) and was met with the same issue, again on BOTH the Sony and Samsung players.

The TV is running Firmware 04.10.15. According to my parents, this issue did NOT occur prior to this firmware update.

I have tested:
Different Blu-Rays
Different Blu-Ray players
Different HDMI ports
Different HDMI cables
All produce the exact same results, an uncancellable "For an optimized viewing experience..." prompt with the HDR tag and the visually-apparent massive brightness increase that comes with properly functioning HDR.

TL;DR: HDR broke how fix, not hardware problem

Do you guys have any idea what is going on or how I might fix it?

So for those of you following this topic. I ordered some Monoprice "certified" cables and they arrived this morning.

Everything works perfectly. A nice cheap fix. Thanks so much for solving my problem, with all the cables I tried I never expected this to work especially since it worked until the E8 firmware update.
RBO, mrtickleuk, Jbhur212 and 1 others like this.
post #12101 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 957
I still own a 60”
Pioneer Kuro and it’s used in the bedroom for older programming. It’s looks fine in this application, but my 77” C8 blows it away in every category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tbass2k, RBO, sadsushi and 2 others like this.
post #12102 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
That’s a false statement. If you’re still on the latest fromwire, you should leave to warm1 for technicolor modes as that aligns with the changes they made to hit a different white point. Google it
It's not a "false statement" thanks, I am perfectly well aware of the fact that the technicolor mode is different. It's been discussed in detail right here, no need to "google" I was in the discussion about the technicolor mode. He'd already said he didn't like the technicolor mode and that he used ISF Bright and Dark, and I was clearly talking about those two modes. Sheesh!

Quote:
So for those of you following this topic. I ordered some Monoprice "certified" cables and they arrived this morning.

Everything works perfectly. A nice cheap fix. Thanks so much for solving my problem, with all the cables I tried I never expected this to work especially since it worked until the E8 firmware update.
Excellent news! Thanks for the update and glad it was so simple. It's also the reason people were so quick to ask about the cables - it so often is the cause that we're used to it. And even if not - you would have eliminated the biggest suspect .
The other main thing to take away - in so many things in tech - "correlation is not causation". The firmware changed, and it stopped working. We all immediately jump to the conclusion "that made it fail!". But co-incidences are real, and often trap us and send us down the wrong path. I think the previous cable would have been marginal, and tipped over into failure when it did - which could have happened at any time.
The same thing happens here in the UK with Sky satellite PVRs. Hard discs fail. Millions of customers, so thousands will be having their discs failing every day, and boxes replaced. But when the discs fail during the time they are rolling out new software, there's always a flood of "the new firmware killed my disc!" threads
RavenBF likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-02-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #12103 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 11:10 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

@mrtickleuk , *cough*, *cough*, not so clear. You originally said, "Hope you changed the color temperature to "Warm 2", which is not the default..."

Warm 2 is indeed not the default for TE PM but is the default for isf Dark and Bright, I believe. So you werent' clearly speaking of the isf PM. *cough*

edit: Your edit did not improve the misstatement, but yeah, calling your comment a "false statement" was a bit harsh, you clearly were not intentionally lying, *cough*, as opposed to just making an incorrect statement at worst or an unclear statement at best.

We all have bad weeks now and again.

calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 02-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #12104 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
@mrtickleuk , *cough*, *cough*, not so clear. You originally said, "Hope you changed the color temperature to "Warm 2", which is not the default..."

Warm 2 is indeed not the default for TE PM but is the default for isf Dark and Bright, I believe. So you werent' clearly speaking of the isf PM. *cough*
Ok we're splitting hairs and I've edited the post in case it wasn't clear (enough!). If warm2 is the default in those modes, then that's my mistake (and it's also great). Also I can see how that would be confusing, and we don't want that

ps yes I have had a bad week lol. That's 3 mistakes on this website, plus other unwanted upheaval in the "real world" too! Ho hum.
RBO and calfcramp like this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #12105 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 11:58 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ps yes I have had a bad week lol. That's 3 mistakes on this website, plus other unwanted upheaval in the "real world" too! Ho hum.

no worries, mate.
calfcramp, sadsushi and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)

post #12106 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Anyone ever seen the edge of the screen glow? Maybe it’s just my eyes being weird but when the screen changes images or panning I feel like the edges light up or glow and then settle back to normal color they should be?

Almost like an edge lit led tv. I’ll try to link a video.
post #12107 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Hope next week is better.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12108 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hope you had the colour temperature set to "Warm2", in Expert Dark or Bright modes, otherwise it would have looked bad.

[note: the sentence above is not talking about the Technicolor Expert mode, which is different to all the others]

Now THAT re-edit says it as clear as the skin on Princess Kate's arse..
calfcramp, Bumtious and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)

post #12109 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Sounds like your not ready for change. There is nothing wrong with that at all btw. When your ready the new TV will be fine.
calfcramp likes this.
post #12110 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

Fair enough. Perhaps amateur or professional calibration would help, and remember that the panel takes 100-200 hours to settle in. I've got excellent results with Calman direct LUTs on mine, you can get the charts very accurate without too much trouble but beyond that it's a matter of choose which white point to use to give the best perceptual match to what you're aiming for.

I hope you turned "Dynamic contrast" off, and you were referring to "Dynamic Tone Mapping" above . I used to leave DTM on but recently started experimenting with even turning that off for 1,000-nit content, as it's analysing the incoming signal and has to react and the TV can do ~800 nits anyway so doesn't have to tone-map the luminance that much. It is of most use for 4,000 nit content.
I also concur with this info. Pro calibration makes such a huge difference. I wish I always calibrated in the past and saved hours among hours trying to eyeball it! The only issue I have is when you autocal, it locks certain settings completely after its done!
post #12111 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Wink

Quote:

Occam's razor strikes again.Glad you got it worked out.
mrtickleuk likes this.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #12112 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Ok we're splitting hairs and I've edited the post in case it wasn't clear (enough!). If warm2 is the default in those modes, then that's my mistake (and it's also great). Also I can see how that would be confusing, and we don't want that

3 mistakes on a forum that has a gazillion posts with a good percentage of them just jibberish, while your info and opinions, help more than hurt.

I think a pass is deserved!
post #12113 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 06:43 PM

THE SUPER BOWL: TOMORROW and I'll be watching it over the air with my digital antenna going into the LG C8 65-inch directly and then passing sound out via ARC to the 7.2 Elite Nakamichi (what i love about the nakashimi system is the crowd, if the mics are set up near cool people its fun to listen to them, but if near a-holes its that experience... but it always feels like you are in the stadium for better or worse) but oh the last time I asked for some calibration curiosity I got one reply and it looks like nobody wanted to answer but this time...

ITS THE SUPERBOWL

So if you are watching OTA or NOT and you think your LG C8 is THE BEST, DA BOMB and is going to smack down all other callibration settings, let's see what you got!!!

This is NOT about the fact that every panel is different this is about the Super Bowl and that you did a better job with your panel JUST for the Super Bowl than ANYBODY ELSE can do and you're not afraid to tell people how its done!

CALLIBRATION WARS: SUPERBOWL EDITION LETS GO!

A few responses snd I will change settings during the very many commercials at times and declare THE WINNER (Tom Brady... crap now everyone knows its rigged)

ITS THE SUPER BOWL so let's see who has THE best settings and have some geek fun!!!

With this years superbowl halftime alone theres plenty of time to try out as many calibrations as possible.

Its unbiased, my fiance, a normal person, will judge.

OH NO LETS GO!!!
SUPERBOWL

Last edited by starrfighter; 02-02-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: SUPER BOWL or Puppy Bowl? My girl... sigh
post #12114 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

starrfighter, the problem is that every TV is different, so changing settings on your set to match my set and someone else's set really doesn't tell you anything. For example, on my set, I have to set the tint on the green end (G13 or G14 depending on the picture mode) for the picture to look right, while I know from reading other folk's settings that they might be at 0 or G1 or R1 or whatever. So if you were to use my settings on your set, it might look great, or it might look like krap.

FWIW, here are my primary settings:

Technicolor Expert picture mode:

OLED Light - 25
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 52
Sharp - 10
Color - 69
Tint - G13
Color Temp. - Warm 1
Color Gamut - Auto
Gamma - 1.9
post #12115 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
starrfighter, the problem is that every TV is different, so changing settings on your set to match my set and someone else's set really doesn't tell you anything. For example, on my set, I have to set the tint on the green end (G13 or G14 depending on the picture mode) for the picture to look right, while I know from reading other folk's settings that they might be at 0 or G1 or R1 or whatever. So if you were to use my settings on your set, it might look great, or it might look like krap.

FWIW, here are my primary settings:

Technicolor Expert picture mode:

OLED Light - 25

Contrast - 85

Brightness - 52

Sharp - 10

Color - 69

Tint - G13

Color Temp. - Warm 1

Color Gamut - Auto

Gamma - 1.9
But that's the point there's a lot of commercials and there's a halftime show no one wants to watch this a lot of time to play around one time and I'm curious the differentials between each one of you has between the other my first job was in QA and Microsoft there's a little bit of it in that in me can't help it

I assume all gimmicks are shut off?

post #12116 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
But that's the point there's a lot of commercials and there's a halftime show no one wants to watch this a lot of time to play around one time and I'm curious the differentials between each one of you has between the other my first job was in QA and Microsoft there's a little bit of it in that in me can't help it

Uhh, starrfigher, there's no such thing as a "digital antenna". I used an analog antenna for years. Way before the digital transition and way after that. Same antenna, same setup, and same positioning. OTA HDTV was dead-on-balls perfect. That statement, and the fact that you said you worked in Microsoft QA brings your credibility into question.

You want to try different calibration settings so I ask you, did you create those with a colorimeter or was it just plug and play or borrowed settings? If your panel is truly calibrated, then there is no reason to adjust settings because you get whatever the source transmits. Some sources are better than others. Yes, OTA typically offers better PQ due to minimal or lack of compression but I fail to see the point of your post.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12117 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Uhh, starrfigher, there's no such thing as a "digital antenna". I used an analog antenna for years. Way before the digital transition and way after that. Same antenna, same setup, and same positioning. OTA HDTV was dead-on-balls perfect. That statement, and the fact that you said you worked in Microsoft QA brings your credibility into question.

You want to try different calibration settings so I ask you, did you create those with a colorimeter or was it just plug and play or borrowed settings? If your panel is truly calibrated, then there is no reason to adjust settings because you get whatever the source transmits. Some sources are better than others. Yes, OTA typically offers better PQ due to minimal or lack of compression but I fail to see the point of your post.
It is an analog antenna that picks up 'digital' local channels there's no reason to go into antenna debate land I misspoke

post #12118 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:

I can't help but agree that yes working in Microsoft QA about 15 years ago when I got started should not bring some total credibility, i should have said i worked at a QA company that contracted a lot with MS down the street so it felt like working at MS proper, but I also have worked for a giant Healthcare company in building a national database that is still in use for today that I can't talk about and I am a computer programmer that knows too many languages which is a real thing, but my best is data analysis so I'm trying to grab some data and I thought it would be fun. If you need credentials for some reason.... on a consumer enthusiast message board... its about fun on the superbowl. I gave some of my cred when i shouldn't need to give any.

Last edited by starrfighter; 02-03-2019 at 05:17 AM.
post #12119 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:

As for the point of my post I'm just curious to see how differential the panels can be actually haven't calibrated mine yet other than on the fly but I'm not looking to borrow anyone's anything I just got my TV I'll do a calibration when I do it I'm just interested to see same model name same panel but they're so not the same and how far the difference is but that's not my main goal of my main goal is to just have something to do with all the extra time that's inserted into the Super Bowl and have fun doing it and not worrying about actual calibration but how good are bad does one person's perfect settings look on what is supposed to be the same TV but never is , is that so wrong? I felt like a Super Bowl shutout my settings are better than yours would be fun or interesting if it's not that's okay too and besides I wouldn't even be the judge my fiance who has no expertise at all is the judge and I'm really wondering what she'll say compared to what I think based on what people post but I don't know I just thought it would be fun thing for the Geeks like me and if you don't think it is don't participate

post #12120 of 21274 Old 02-02-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
For SDR, I think so, although I think I have TruMotion (or whatever it's called) set to User and 2,2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page