2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 406 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80769Likes

post #12151 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My Fiance and I decided we needed to buy a new TV for our bedroom (upgrade from a 32" insignia POS).
After looking at ~$500 TVs for a while, I wasn't really happy with buying anything that can be described as "entry level".

I spun the tale that a better idea was to replace the F8500 plasma in the living room
with a better TV, and the plasma can go in the bedroom, where it would do better in the low light.

She thought that was a good idea, possibly not knowing that a "Better TV" than the plasma is an OLED (muhahahaha)

We go to the store, and for some reason the sales guy tried to convince me to get a Sony 900F for the "Better Picture and Colour Processing".
He also reminded my Fiance the Sony was about $1500 cheaper. At this point I thought I was doomed to non-OLEDness...

I stuck to my guns, knowing that I wanted the C8, as I wasn't going from the Last Great Plasma, to anything but an OLED, and shockingly,
My fiance said yeah, lets get the OLED (!!!) (We booked a very expensive wedding venue the day before... That may have played a part in this).

Overall, I got it set up, and this thing is amazing... Not only is the picture incredible (lights off, Beta Fish OLED demo, G.Sus...),
but all of the apps are super easy to control and accessible (Fiance gives it an A+++ compared to my plasma that froze all the time).

Bought a 4k Blu ray player and watched Avengersin glorious HDR 4k and nearly cried a few times (at the picture, not plot)

Just wanted to share my story, super excited to join the OLED club!!
smitty, tbass2k, RBO and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
It looked great on OTA here Cam.
I dont know why it looked so bad...but it wasnt specific to my C8, my 940e also looked bad.
post #12153 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
That's terrible news. Was weather in your area a factor?

I thought it was a fantastic Super Bowl as a master class in Defense domination until the Patriots Offense started getting into gear late in the 2nd half and then the Rams Offense offering up a posing threat for a bit. It ended with the outcome I wanted which was seeing the GOAT get a 6th ring. The Patriots are America's Team in my eyes.
Lol...i might have been biased since my team was not in it😆
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12154 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H 2 View Post

I stuck to my guns, knowing that I wanted the C8, as I wasn't going from the Last Great Plasma, to anything but an OLED, and shockingly,
My fiance said yeah, lets get the OLED (!!!) (We booked a very expensive wedding venue the day before... That may have played a part in this).
LOL, you should have bought a new sports car too
post #12155 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
LOL, you should have bought a new sports car too
A bit of advice for you younger single guys, get everything electronic you might want (77" OLED, Atmos speakers with dual subs, top of the line AVR, game systems, Drone. etc....) before getting engaged/married. Makes married life easier.
tbass2k, tanman, RBO and 6 others like this.
post #12156 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I dont know why it looked so bad...but it wasnt specific to my C8, my 940e also looked bad.

Maybe it was Brady, they should have used Giselle! I know this is asking for a trouble....

But OTA really looked much better than cable. And I now I exclusively use OTA for local channels just because of the quality.
post #12157 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
A bit of advice for you younger single guys, get everything electronic you might want (77" OLED, Atmos speakers with dual subs, top of the line AVR, game systems, Drone. etc....) before getting engaged/married. Makes married life easier.

"Priorities"
post #12158 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
I have the C8 and a Pioneer 151. In a dim room watching cable the 151 is still a great TV. I can relate to the smoother part as you are not upscaling HD content to a 4K resolution plus I love the Plasma dithering process for low light scenes. The C8 still does a commendable job at upscaling. The Kuro’s have great colors but the C8 also excels in this area especially in Technicolor mode. I don’t think the C9 will drastically change anything. The C8 does what the Kuro does plus adds so much more to the table like perfect blacks, HDR and Dolby Vision 4K content, Smart TV apps and the list goes on. In my house I watch the C8 100% of the time and the 151 is in another room that other family members watch periodically. Maybe OLED pricing will come down enough for you to eventually make the switch. Buy if you are used to a Kuro only OLED will make you happy going forward.
I'm definitely in your camp. I sold by 151. Is the C8 perfect? No, but it is a step or two above the 151 all around.

post #12159 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I'm always baffled at these "terrible" motion handling comments. I've had nothing but great on my C8 as far as motion. It must be because I came from LCD to OLED.
Same here on the E8. I was prepared for the worse when watching sports but I can't tell if there is any difference between my middle of the road 9-year-old Samsung plasma and the OLED in terms of motion handling. Maybe I am not watching the right things but I can follow the football on a pass in real time and I see no issues with the motion. Movies the same way. I think the plasma had a more film look but the OLED looks more like real life. Shouldn't that be the goal? Or at least look like what the director intended?
healthnut likes this.
post #12160 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck View Post
For those of you on the fence about upgrading from Plasma to the C8, I just returned my C8 and hooked up my 11 year old Kuro 141FD. Although the C8 is brighter with higher resolution, the image on the Pioneer is more pleasing in many other ways. Much smoother and more realistic colors IMO. Appears to have considerably more depth. For me, definitely not a $3000 upgrade. Hopefully the C9 will change things as I don't know how much longer I will have with my Kuro.
I love my 77 inch OLED and thrilled with it but no, it does not destroy my Kuro. Kuro seems to have more depth. It definitely has better motion. No complaints on color from either except that it is fantastic. I'd drop significant change for a 4K Kuro for gaming. Can't believe how far ahead Pioneer was its just mind blowing and I can't think of anything else technology related that has held up like plasma\Kuro. Not a single regret on the C8 though. Its amazing and I look forward to enjoying it for years to come.
healthnut likes this.
post #12161 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4874 Post(s)
Liked: 7169
Quote:
Welcome! I remember that excitement
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12162 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:

And we are happy to have you Congrats on your purchase!
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12163 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 03:05 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Congratulations! I suggest leaving the C8 off during the honeymoon.
calfcramp likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #12164 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After 7 months to get information about my TV malfunctions and a technician, here is LG's answer:

"Hello sir,

We acknowledge receipt of your email.

We would like to apologize for the delay in processing your request. Indeed, we have been late and can not answer you within a reasonable time.

You are contacting us about the picture quality of your LG OLED65C8PLA TV.

After consultation of your file, we inform you that we sent a request for intervention on 23/01/2019 to the technical station. A technician intervened on your device and proceeded to replace a part, however the problem persists.

The technician was also able to see grains only on the reading of the film, however, the logo is not impacted. We invite you to check the functionality of your player. "

Whatever !
Your technician has seen the worries on 3 different films: one in HDR and another in dolby vision on a UB820 and also on Oblivion in bluray on a BDT310.

And if he had not been in a hurry he could have seen it on Xbox one S too

Tomorrow is formal notice recommended for refund given the hidden defect because it is just inadmissible something like this. They make me crazy since July 2018 anyway!

Is that the professionalism today?

Sorry to tarnish the forum but my LG experience turns out to be a disaster.

I just want to finish it and move on.

Those who have no worries with this screen are blessed gods really!

Otherwise good luck for those who embark on the adventure ...
post #12165 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titi77260 View Post
After 7 months to get information about my TV malfunctions and a technician, here is LG's answer:

"Hello sir,

We acknowledge receipt of your email.

We would like to apologize for the delay in processing your request. Indeed, we have been late and can not answer you within a reasonable time.

You are contacting us about the picture quality of your LG OLED65C8PLA TV.

After consultation of your file, we inform you that we sent a request for intervention on 23/01/2019 to the technical station. A technician intervened on your device and proceeded to replace a part, however the problem persists.

The technician was also able to see grains only on the reading of the film, however, the logo is not impacted. We invite you to check the functionality of your player. "

Whatever !
Your technician has seen the worries on 3 different films: one in HDR and another in dolby vision on a UB820 and also on Oblivion in bluray on a BDT310.

And if he had not been in a hurry he could have seen it on Xbox one S too

Tomorrow is formal notice recommended for refund given the hidden defect because it is just inadmissible something like this. They make me crazy since July 2018 anyway!

Is that the professionalism today?

I just want to finish it and move on.

Those who have no worries with this screen are blessed gods really!

Otherwise good luck for those who embark on the adventure ...

That is really unfortunate and I feel for ya. Every tv mfr is going to have stories like this and I'm sad to hear it was LG this time. Hopefully you'll have a better experience with your next set from whom ever you choose to purchase from. However, it's not clear as to what your problem was.

post #12166 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello, I purchased a 77" LG C8 during 2018 Black Friday. The TV had the same hissing problem as another poster described, whenever there were dark colors or majority of black on the screeen. An LG tech came by today and said it was most likely one of the transistors on the internal power supply. He swapped the power supply for another and the problem went away, the TV is amazingly silent now, all the time. Very happy LG was able to fix this so quickly. Hope everyone else with a hissing 77" can get this taken care of.
healthnut and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12167 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by titi77260 View Post
Sorry you had a problem. But it would help if you didn't make every sentence a paragraph. Very hard to read.
smitty likes this.
post #12168 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I’m using an Apple TV 4K with my LG C8 OLED TV. Whenever watching any Dolby Vision content via iTunes or Netflix. Anything that is pure black in any scene including the black bars displays a static snow pattern that is moving In a constant motion. over the image. The static is not as noticeable when the room is lit but In the dark it’s very noticeable and distracting. HDR 10 or SDR is fine it’s just Dolby Vision where I see this issue. I’m using the Belkin high speed cable recommended by Apple and all my tv settings are correct. Dolby vision content on the built in lg web OS apps is fine.

Wondering if if anyone else with this tv has experienced this issue?
post #12169 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I've been thinking about buying a 65-inch C8, so I've been keeping an eye on the prices. I'm surprised that the prices have come down so little since the model's introduction.
Does this seem typical? Or maybe it's because this model is aimed at a niche audience (videophiles) and LG knows they don't have to lower the price?
I thought prices would move after the announcement of the C9's, or around the Super Bowl, but that didn't happen.

(hopefully this question is general enough that it doesn't conflict with the thread rules)

Edit: I just found the correct Forum, I think.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...t-found-deals/

AVS has so many sub-forums it can be difficult to find the correct one. Maybe this link could be added to this thread's first post.
Something like "All Price Talk Belongs in this Forum": https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...t-found-deals/
LVKeith likes this.

Last edited by meli; 02-05-2019 at 04:09 PM.
post #12170 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPagz View Post
I’m using an Apple TV 4K with my LG C8 OLED TV. Whenever watching any Dolby Vision content via iTunes or Netflix. Anything that is pure black in any scene including the black bars displays a static snow pattern that is moving In a constant motion. over the image. The static is not as noticeable when the room is lit but In the dark it’s very noticeable and distracting. HDR 10 or SDR is fine it’s just Dolby Vision where I see this issue. I’m using the Belkin high speed cable recommended by Apple and all my tv settings are correct. Dolby vision content on the built in lg web OS apps is fine.

With my 65 C8 anything that I view via the ATV4k is problem free. I use the BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables (cable run is less than 10'). Your issues sounds like what some C8 users have experienced with what is called the "panel lottery".

post #12171 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I’ll say this ‘brighter left half of the screen during certain black thresholds’ issue I’ve experienced has been annoying. It’s not for all black content but sometimes it stands out pretty bad. About 150 hours in right now.
post #12172 of 21680 Old 02-04-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I've been thinking about buying a 65-inch C8, so I've been keeping an eye on the prices. I'm surprised that the prices have come down so little since the model's introduction.
Does this seem typical? Or maybe it's because this model is aimed at a niche audience (videophiles) and LG knows they don't have to lower the price?
I thought prices would move after the announcement of the C9's, or around the Super Bowl, but that didn't happen.

(hopefully this question is general enough that it doesn't conflict with the thread rules)
I think the prices have been following the same general pattern for the last few years. They start high with big discounts after a couple of months. Smaller discounts until another big discount during Black Friday week. And then the prices go back up and stay there until you can't find the model. I think you are better off waiting on a C9
meli likes this.
post #12173 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Try setting the Brightness setting on your TV to 49 or 48 from the Dolby Vision default of 50. This eliminated the problem for me with no significant degradation in overall image brightness.
post #12174 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

I see it on all Dolby Vision content, from the TV's built-in Vudu app and my Panasonic UB-820.
post #12175 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefastos View Post
Try setting the Brightness setting on your TV to 49 or 48 from the Dolby Vision default of 50. This eliminated the problem for me with no significant degradation in overall image brightness.
You’re more than likely crushing black level details though.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12176 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
You’re more than likely crushing black level details though.
This might be true, but it doesn't look like it does, at least not to my eyes. Plus, even if it did, I'd rather have slightly crushed blacks than static-y grey blacks (not that either one of those is the ideal situation, of course).
post #12177 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does someone know how I can select a subtitle track beyond the 8th? In am playing a MKV on my C8 via USB with 18 embeded subtitle tracks and I need the 11th. In the menu I can only select upto the 8th. Thanks for any ideas.
post #12178 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This might be true, but it doesn't look like it does, at least not to my eyes. Plus, even if it did, I'd rather have slightly crushed blacks than static-y grey blacks (not that either one of those is the ideal situation, of course).
I think if you watched a dark scene and raised it back up to 50, you’d be surprised.
post #12179 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I lowered the contrast and that pretty much resolved it from my seating position.
post #12180 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
My Fiance and I decided we needed to buy a new TV for our bedroom (upgrade from a 32" insignia POS).
After looking at ~$500 TVs for a while, I wasn't really happy with buying anything that can be described as "entry level".

I spun the tale that a better idea was to replace the F8500 plasma in the living room
with a better TV, and the plasma can go in the bedroom, where it would do better in the low light.

She thought that was a good idea, possibly not knowing that a "Better TV" than the plasma is an OLED (muhahahaha)

We go to the store, and for some reason the sales guy tried to convince me to get a Sony 900F for the "Better Picture and Colour Processing".
He also reminded my Fiance the Sony was about $1500 cheaper. At this point I thought I was doomed to non-OLEDness...

Overall, I got it set up, and this thing is amazing... Not only is the picture incredible (lights off, Beta Fish OLED demo, G.Sus...),
but all of the apps are super easy to control and accessible (Fiance gives it an A+++ compared to my plasma that froze all the time).

Bought a 4k Blu ray player and watched Avengersin glorious HDR 4k and nearly cried a few times (at the picture, not plot)

You REALLY should have mentioned fiance ONE more time.
kpeercy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page