2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 407 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80770Likes

post #12181 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Yes they are AMERICA'S TEAM (so as I am currently in Austin TX, the pattiots they are could not compute New England v LA.The PATRIOTS. It is so weird. 13 original colonies. I grew up in new england and i was asked a few times yesterday why I cared while I was walking around in n my Patriots shoes... This really is the Lone Star state. Alas, I took a small nap during half time... probably for the best... interestingly the G.O.A.T. Mr. Tom Brady isnt retiring until at least for FOUR MORE YEARS! and Pat and Vanna, hosts of WHEEL OF FORTUNE.. known as AMERICAS GAME signed recently through 2022. While everyone rolls their eyes at the patriots and wheel of fortune, everyone will miss AMERICAS TEAM and AMERICAS GAME when.. all of a sudden... poof they are gone. They will go on in some form but not like this as the seasoned institutions they have been for so long. Be proud of the achievements of all american fun and perseverence. Even if they arent your thing.

OH this is a TV thread... watching my first OLED superbowl OTA was a pleasure on the LG C8. I played around a lot with settubgs without going too far off the rails, like i didnt do: take away all green.. but i tried a lot of setups other TVs would be terrible or great, but honestly i have to say that it was very hard to make this game look bad using settings within reason, and i did manage to make it look better than good and not so good but overall... this lg c8 really is a gem. Lots less bad to say than there is good to say about it.

Hope everyone had fun! I

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Please write in English next time.
RBO, calfcramp, parkman and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12182 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheads View Post
You REALLY should have mentioned fiance ONE more time.
Ha. Thats the thing. I decided to do the whole AV full cycle upgrade moving to oled with the c8 and spatial sound... new media console furniture that looks so much better (i thought that could be my trump card to get out of trouble) and you have no idea how many times MY FIANCE was like "You spent WHAT?" while I was setting up with boxes everywhere and just a mess because it all came the same day. She doesnt know that i orobably due to the timing saved at the very least $2000 on the whole scenario if not more.

Now? I just keep telling her while watching a UHD movie or whatever.. music... really anything I say: "You know I can return everything still if you want". She just sits there and says things like... nothing, while biting her lip slightly grinning,.. or, "i dont want to have to pack it all up... i mean its... here now, I guess". Also grinning.

Oh I think i say it every day because she loves all of it but you know... its hard for some people to say phrases like "you're right, Im wrong and Im sorry." It wasnt fun until it was done and I do believe I am going to keep giving her crap for some time.

post #12183 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Only if you write in ancient Norwegian next time, please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12184 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
I love my 77 inch OLED and thrilled with it but no, it does not destroy my Kuro. Kuro seems to have more depth. It definitely has better motion. No complaints on color from either except that it is fantastic. I'd drop significant change for a 4K Kuro for gaming. Can't believe how far ahead Pioneer was its just mind blowing and I can't think of anything else technology related that has held up like plasma\Kuro. Not a single regret on the C8 though. Its amazing and I look forward to enjoying it for years to come.
Plasma TV's where amazing, especially a Kuro. There are characteristics that are unsurpassed even today.......
TheBrandon likes this.
post #12185 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H 2 View Post
My Fiance and I decided we needed to buy a new TV for our bedroom....
My fiance said yeah, lets get the OLED... Super excited to join the OLED club!!
Quote:

Every time you mention your fiancé, you should write in parenthesis (HumbleBRAG).

Welcome to the OLED club, Farewell to the INCEL club.

Last edited by meli; 02-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #12186 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Only if you write in ancient Norwegian next time, please.

Ditt ønske er min kommando.
post #12187 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Put a sock in it, Jaffe. The boy's in love!

- Coming To America (1988)
post #12188 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Contrast setting going the wrong way?

I've had my 65" C8 since November and it currently has about 400 hours on it. Feedback on this forum has indicated that contrast and brightness settings should settle in after several hundred hours of operation with brightness settings that start out higher and work themselves back to near 50 as the set wears in. So far, my experience has been the opposite. When new I was setting brightness on Tech Expert in the low to mid 50 range to eliminate black crush and to get the grays right. I now find that I have to go to 60 or a little more to get the best blacks and grays. So, is this something I should be concerned about? I was just expecting my settings to settle in lower as opposed to higher. Otherwise, my C8 is performing really well with none of the issues that get discussed from time to tim.

Here are the settings that are giving me the best picture quality on cable, OTA, and Streaming Apps:

Mode - Tech Expert
OLED - 66
Contrast - 90
Brightness - 60
Color - 51
Sharpness - 26
Tint - 0
White Bal. - warm 1
Gamma - 2.2

All the motion and noise options off
post #12189 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Ditt ønske er min kommando.
Well thank you. Maybe I will run whatever my broken phone decides i said or typed from through google translate from english to english...

I wonder if anything good would actually come of that...

post #12190 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I thought I had mentioned her enough, but usually when my fiance and I talk about making a decision,
it usually ends up being my fiance making a decision, and me hoping that my fiance makes the right decision.

But this time, I made the decision, and my fiance told me that my fiance's fiance made the right decision,
and my fiance's fiance was excited about it.

Lol.

I think when I wrote that initial post, I was still in a state of shock, as I've wanted to upgrade from my plasma for about a year or two now, since OLED's had become affordable-ish. BUT usually when I get it in my head that I want to upgrade something, I am ultimately talked out of the idea.

So being told "Okay" threw my whole world off axis
jpicc50, Markalark and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Josh H 2; 02-05-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #12191 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Have seen mention here of LG remote app for smart phones. Searched for such on my IPad. Lots of choices. Can anyone recommend whick app is best ?
post #12192 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
I thought I had mentioned her enough, but usually when my fiance and I talk about making a decision,
it usually ends up being my fiance making a decision, and me hoping that my fiance makes the right decision.

But this time, I made the decision, and my fiance told me that my fiance's fiance made the right decision,

Lol.

I think when I wrote that initial post, I was still in a state of shock, as I've wanted to upgrade from my plasma for about a year or two now, since OLED's had become affordable-ish. BUT usually when I get it in my head that I want to upgrade something, I am ultimately talked out of the idea.

Funny- when my WIFE said the same that this was the TV she wanted, I was in shock and stammered for a few seconds. I went with my WIFE'S direction without question. Alternate universe, maybe? I thought it was funny, haters are gonna hate as they say. Roll with it and enjoy your set. I got a 55 and 65 out of my WIFE'S MOMENT OF INSANITY. ( The bill to match but hey, you only live once)

Best of luck to you
post #12193 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 03:47 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

I know, right? I think hipster is the new jive. We need some white haired old person fluent in the language to translate. I could maybe help. Makes me think back to my mother's talents:

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #12194 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPagz View Post
I’m using an Apple TV 4K with my LG C8 OLED TV. Whenever watching any Dolby Vision content via iTunes or Netflix. Anything that is pure black in any scene including the black bars displays a static snow pattern that is moving In a constant motion. over the image. The static is not as noticeable when the room is lit but In the dark it’s very noticeable and distracting. HDR 10 or SDR is fine it’s just Dolby Vision where I see this issue. I’m using the Belkin high speed cable recommended by Apple and all my tv settings are correct. Dolby vision content on the built in lg web OS apps is fine.

Wondering if if anyone else with this tv has experienced this issue?
I have not seen that problem. But I had to upgrade the cable from Apple TV 4K to LG 55C8 before the Dolby Vision setting would work. I bought a Monoprice certified cable and it works without a problem.
post #12195 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
C8 or E8...I guess I need to find the difference.

I had a Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro 141 I think it was, and was from day one disappointed with the level of brightness or contrast. The picture was amazing but I like brighter.

I hear LG has something called Auto Brightness Limiting (ABL) , and that it might do exactly what would make me miserable. And that you CANT turn it off.

Anyway, what is the main difference , speakers? Per RT that seems to be it, unless I am missing something.

On RT what is color banding called on their ratings, you know where watching DTV or streaming and dark backgrounds have all that waviness interference. Which of these is better for that?
post #12196 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by saronian View Post
I have not seen that problem. But I had to upgrade the cable from Apple TV 4K to LG 55C8 before the Dolby Vision setting would work. I bought a Monoprice certified cable and it works without a problem.

Same here. When I was putting together the new HTS centered around the 65 C8 I just purchased all new Premium High Speed HDMI cables from BJC and they work just fine according to the video test from the ATV4k and viewing content.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12197 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPagz View Post
I’m using an Apple TV 4K with my LG C8 OLED TV. Whenever watching any Dolby Vision content via iTunes or Netflix. Anything that is pure black in any scene including the black bars displays a static snow pattern that is moving In a constant motion. over the image. The static is not as noticeable when the room is lit but In the dark it’s very noticeable and distracting. HDR 10 or SDR is fine it’s just Dolby Vision where I see this issue. I’m using the Belkin high speed cable recommended by Apple and all my tv settings are correct. Dolby vision content on the built in lg web OS apps is fine.

Wondering if if anyone else with this tv has experienced this issue?
I'm using Apple TV 4K with my LG C8 as well. I have not noticed that in Dolby Vision with all blacks. But I have noticed that there is a flickering of near-black macroblocking even with the video paused in certain circumstances. I found it was related to the framerate matching functionality of the Apple TV. If I disabled the "match framerate" option, the flickering stopped.

So. . . try disabling framerate matching and see if it has any effect.

How close are you to the image when you notice this "static" on black?
post #12198 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Helping a friend tomorrow with installing on the wall and was wondering since the tv has a back edge (thin top half and thicker bottom) would it be ok to set his small stb on that edge behind the screen?
post #12199 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Helping a friend tomorrow with installing on the wall and was wondering since the tv has a back edge (thin top half and thicker bottom) would it be ok to set his small stb on that edge behind the screen?
What would be the point of that? I wouldn't, you would need to get an articulating wall mount that comes out in order to fit a stb box behind and the heat from the tv & stb wouldn't be a good idea. Unless it's as small as a fire tv, than it would be ok otherwise...I assume he would need to install an IR reapeter also to control it behind the tv.

Most wall mounts are pretty close to the wall.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #12200 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

No. For the reason given above. It's not a good idea to attach or mount anything to the back of the tv. The only thing I have attached to mine is an LED bias light string (MediaLight).

post #12201 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hi. I'm new to OLED. I've been noticing on Youtube podcasts where there's little movement, such as people just talking in a studio where the background is fairly static and there are no camera cuts, that the screen starts dimming over time. If I hit a button on the remote, then the brightness goes back to normal. What could be the cause of this? I'm using ISF Bright mode.
post #12202 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
I know, right? I think hipster is the new jive. We need some white haired old person fluent in the language to translate. I could maybe help. Makes me think back to my mother's talents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXSLcYQHqFQ
Jive talkin bee gees
.. always jive talkin.

post #12203 of 21680 Old 02-05-2019, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Just joined the ranks today. Pulled the trigger on a 65” C8. It is sitting in the garage waiting to be opened and hung on the wall.

Now I need to figure out some 4K sources to give it!

And also need to pull the trigger on my AVR and 2.1 speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12204 of 21680 Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Lol.

She might even appreciate being referred to by the correct term: You're her fiancé, she's your fiancée.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12205 of 21680 Old 02-06-2019, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
When you have to ask for something.
post #12206 of 21680 Old 02-06-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Come on People. Start your own thread about my fiance already.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #12207 of 21680 Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Hi. I'm new to OLED. I've been noticing on Youtube podcasts where there's little movement, such as people just talking in a studio where the background is fairly static and there are no camera cuts, that the screen starts dimming over time. If I hit a button on the remote, then the brightness goes back to normal. What could be the cause of this? I'm using ISF Bright mode.

It's called ABL, AVS search engine is your friend. You may want to consider turning the OLED light setting down, it can also be disabled, not recommended though.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #12208 of 21680 Old 02-06-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Sorry if this was answered. 12k posts in this thread and I’ve only made it up through September of last year so far.

Did D-Nice post his calibration settings or is he waiting on the firmware update from LG later this spring before putting up any reference settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #12209 of 21680 Old 02-06-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
This is actually ASBL, which can be turned off in the service menu.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
family_guy likes this.
post #12210 of 21680 Old 02-06-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
Sorry if this was answered. 12k posts in this thread and I’ve only made it up through September of last year so far.

Did D-Nice post his calibration settings or is he waiting on the firmware update from LG later this spring before putting up any reference settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You would be best to start with the basic settings from rtings.com. It's a nice place to start and a lot of us have found that they work quite nicely with few modifications for viewing environment and/or source material. Posted calibration settings (acquired with a colorimeter) are just a guide as they will not calibrate your panel, only adjust your tv to the tv that they came from. Just test out the basic settings and leave the CMS settings at default.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page