2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 408 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80801Likes

post #12211 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 140
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Thanks Otto.

I have been using the Rtings settings for the last several months. Tweaking OLED light a bit as the panel ages.

Just looking for his settings as a reference point, which I’ve used on every display device he’s posted them for since I started browsing AVS forums in 07. I never use them as an absolute due to panel variance, viewing environment, etc

Was mostly curious if he’s taking a wait & see approach knowing that LG is planing a firmware fix for the ‘overshoot’ issue, if I’m using the correct name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12212 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post
Thanks Otto.

I have been using the Rtings settings for the last several months. Tweaking OLED light a bit as the panel ages.

Just looking for his settings as a reference point, which I’ve used on every display device he’s posted them for since I started browsing AVS forums in 07. I never use them as an absolute due to panel variance, viewing environment, etc

Was mostly curious if he’s taking a wait & see approach knowing that LG is planing a firmware fix for the ‘overshoot’ issue, if I’m using the correct name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don't count on @D-Nice posting any settings.
post #12213 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheads View Post
Don't count on @D-Nice posting any settings.

Especially since his last few comments some weeks ago mentioned that he put his C8 away into storage.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12214 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by family_guy View Post
Hi. I'm new to OLED. I've been noticing on Youtube podcasts where there's little movement, such as people just talking in a studio where the background is fairly static and there are no camera cuts, that the screen starts dimming over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
This is actually ASBL, which can be turned off in the service menu.
Yep. This is gleaned from earlier posts on this thread:

ABL (automatic brightness limiter):
- designed to reduce sustained high brightness output
- dimming of the picture based on average picture level and power draw
- happens during very bright scenes
- dims instantly and un-dims instantly
- can't be disabled, but lowering Oled-Light makes it less aggressive
- the dimming time was faulty between firmwares 3.00.63 (or earlier), and 4.10.15; there was a delay before the change, making it visible.

ASBL (automatic static brightness limiter):
- designed to dim down what it thinks is a static, non-moving image (bright or not)
- dimming of the picture after being static for a certain amount of time. (90 seconds I think but not sure)
- happens gradually
- can also trigger during non static scenes with a very low average picture level
- un-dims when something bright enters the scene or there is a scene change
- can be disabled in the service menu by turning off TPC (Thermal Protection Circuit)
calfcramp and family_guy like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12215 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 12:21 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 359
@mrtickleuk , excellent and very accommodating post as usual.
But, rather than repeating it here shouldn't that be in the C8 FAQ by now? Is the FAQ even still being made current? That is where such queries should be directed to isn't it?
calfcramp likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #12216 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If this has been answered just tell me and I'll search harder, or if I should post this in the receiver forum. Just ordered E8. I have a Marantz 6009 receiver that says it's 4k compatible. It has video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K) for analog and HDMI sources. The receiver has this statement in its description: "This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content." What exactly does that mean?

Will I be good to plug sources into the receiver and then pass the signal to the TV? Don't want to lose any picture quality. Also, any recommendations on a 4k dvd player?
post #12217 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Motion performance on the C8

I currently have a B6 and looking at upgrading to the C8. However, the B6 has terrible motion performance, any de-judder setting above 3 results in artifacts on the screen.

Can anyone tell me their opinion of motion on the C8?

I have ready in older C8 reviews that motion isn't that great. But, perhaps this has been fixed in a firmware update???

Many thanks!
post #12218 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Is this the right time to get a C8?

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about getting a C8 in the 77" flavor. I've noticed that they are going for a nice discount. I also learned that LG's new models are about to be released. Is this the right time to get the C8 or should I wait for the new models to arrive?

Thank you.
post #12219 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post
If this has been answered just tell me and I'll search harder, or if I should post this in the receiver forum. Just ordered E8. I have a Marantz 6009 receiver that says it's 4k compatible. It has video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K) for analog and HDMI sources. The receiver has this statement in its description: "This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content." What exactly does that mean?
It means that you cannot pass 4K content through that AVR from players, streaming boxes, etc. HDCP 2.2 compliance is required from pretty much any available 4K video sources.
tanman likes this.
post #12220 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyKat View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am thinking about getting a C8 in the 77" flavor. I've noticed that they are going for a nice discount. I also learned that LG's new models are about to be released. Is this the right time to get the C8 or should I wait for the new models to arrive?

Thank you.
Up to you but I would say the new model will be baby steps as far as advancements. The price will be going up as well, you can count on that.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 02-06-2019 at 11:22 PM.
post #12221 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyKat View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thank you.

It depends on how much you're willing to spend. There's always something "better" around the corner. It all depends on what you want and what compromises you are willing to make. A 2018 77 C8 should be cheaper as soon as the 2019 models are released to the wild.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12222 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Will I be good to plug sources into the receiver and then pass the signal to the TV? Don't want to lose any picture quality. Also, any recommendations on a 4k dvd player?

If your receiver isn't HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 complaint it will not pass copy-protected 4K video content. You will need to buy quality cables, too. Best to bite the bullet & upgrade your receiver. I have an Oppo 203 4k Blue-ray player & love it but it's been discontinued. There is a Panasonic DP-UB820 that has great reviews .

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
post #12223 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
1 Months passed since LG announced they are working on a FW fix for the flashing issue... 2-3 months till a new FW arrives

TV : LG OLED 65C8 [U]
post #12224 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
It depends on how much you're willing to spend. There's always something "better" around the corner. It all depends on what you want and what compromises you are willing to make. A 2018 77 C8 should be cheaper as soon as the 2019 models are released to the wild.
While I agree, in general, about the timing for C9s arriving, I think the rare cheap deal on 77C8 now is worth grabbing. 77" will still be very low volume for a while. Just look at high Costco price.
Supply and demand are both low, so basic economic laws don't work well here.
post #12225 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Up to you but I would say the new model will be baby steps as far as advancements. The price will be going up as well, you can count on that.
I believe you're correct. Thank you.
post #12226 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I am OK with the 7k line, up to 8k out the door. I know it is hard to predict the future; that's why I am trying to gauge if this is the right time.

Thank you.
post #12227 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
While I agree, in general, about the timing for C9s arriving, I think the rare cheap deal on 77C8 now is worth grabbing. 77" will still be very low volume for a while. Just look at high Costco price.
Supply and demand are both low, so basic economic laws don't work well here.
Oh man… I am about to go ask a friend for his SUV and go get one tonight! It would not fit in my car.
Thanks!
post #12228 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
If your receiver isn't HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2 complaint it will not pass copy-protected 4K video content. You will need to buy quality cables, too. Best to bite the bullet & upgrade your receiver. I have an Oppo 203 4k Blue-ray player & love it but it's been discontinued. There is a Panasonic DP-UB820 that has great reviews .
Don't the 4K DVD players allow for this by having 2 hdmi outs - one for video that can run directly to the TV and one for audio that can run to the receiver? I think my cables are HDCP 2.2.

One more question - since I'll be streaming from apps on the TV do I just run an audio out cable from the TV to the receiver? Thank you for your advice! I'm trying to get through this massive thread to see settings.
post #12229 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Don't the 4K DVD players allow for this by having 2 hdmi outs - one for video that can run directly to the TV and one for audio that can run to the receiver? I think my cables are HDCP 2.2.

One more question - since I'll be streaming from apps on the TV do I just run an audio out cable from the TV to the receiver? Thank you for your advice! I'm trying to get through this massive thread to see settings.
If you use Premium High Speed HDMI cables (with the QR label for authenticity) those are certified for HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2 hardware specs so not to worry. The cable really has nothing to do with the HDMI hardware version, only that they've been tested and certified to pass the signal. It's the HDMI chipsets on the source and sink end that determine what you can successfully send and receive. So yes, if you don't have a receiver that has the current HDMI hardware versions you will have issues. Most content now is encoded in HDCP 2.2. The cable is just a data pipe.

Will you need to use ARC and how long will your cable runs be?

HDCP 2.3 will be the newest copy protection scheme but it has not been released yet.

post #12230 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yep. This is gleaned from earlier posts on this thread:

ABL (automatic brightness limiter):
- designed to reduce sustained high brightness output
- dimming of the picture based on average picture level and power draw
- happens during very bright scenes
- dims instantly and un-dims instantly
- can't be disabled, but lowering Oled-Light makes it less aggressive
- the dimming time was faulty between firmwares 3.00.63 (or earlier), and 4.10.15; there was a delay before the change, making it visible.

ASBL (automatic static brightness limiter):
- designed to dim down what it thinks is a static, non-moving image (bright or not)
- dimming of the picture after being static for a certain amount of time. (90 seconds I think but not sure)
- happens gradually
- can also trigger during non static scenes with a very low average picture level
- un-dims when something bright enters the scene or there is a scene change
- can be disabled in the service menu by turning off TPC (Thermal Protection Circuit)
this is all 100% true but there is also another dimming function, i turned off ABSL but i still see dimming when you have a near static scenes (with static elements) like soccer broadcasts or video that seem to have high APL for sustained period

there seems to be no way to disable this and its very annoying
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12231 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
If you use Premium High Speed HDMI cables (with the QR label for authenticity) those are certified for HDMI 2.0b/HDCP 2.2 hardware specs so not to worry. The cable really has nothing to do with the HDMI hardware version, only that they've been tested and certified to pass the signal. It's the HDMI chipsets on the source and sink end that determine what you can successfully send and receive. So yes, if you don't have a receiver that has the current HDMI hardware versions you will have issues. Most content now is encoded in HDCP 2.2. The cable is just a data pipe.

HDCP 2.3 will be the newest copy protection scheme but it has not been released yet.
My cables say High Speed HDMI with ethernet (UL) CL2, and they are directional. Do they pass? My runs will all be less than 6 feet. Not sure about ARC since I don't understand it or know if my receiver will support it. I'll be using a HD cable box from Spectrum which I know won't be 4k but assuming the TV can do a decent job of upscaling. I'm at least going to try to use the 2 hdmi outs on the back of the dvd player and see what happens, and I'm going to try running the cable from the audio out on the back of the TV to the receiver for audio when streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. If it doesn't work then I'll look at a new receiver. I'm a little ticked that my receiver is just kidding when it says it's 4k ready.

Did you have to change your Netflix to the 4k service?
post #12232 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Full HDMI2.1 support with 48Gbps bandwidth modes (eg 12 bit 4:4:4 4K60), eARC, ALLM, VRR, etc - more than baby steps for many people
I think their announcement took many people by surprise at CES - I was certainly expecting 2019 to be a stop-gap year with HDMI 2.1 not arriving until the 2020 models. It removes the hesitation for many potential buyers.

(It also adds hesitation for potential buyers of Samsung, Philips, Sony etc TVs! )

Other than HDMI2.1, yes I do agree in general. Having seen the youtube videos posted of Neil Robinson at CES, I would certainly be interested in the panel improvements he mentioned.
What wasn't mentioned was improved manufacturing processes, improved uniformity, yield, etc. Those will be the baby-step improvements, sadly

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-06-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #12233 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
My cables say High Speed HDMI with ethernet (UL) CL2, and they are directional. Do they pass? My runs will all be less than 6 feet. Not sure about ARC since I don't understand it or know if my receiver will support it. I'll be using a HD cable box from Spectrum which I know won't be 4k but assuming the TV can do a decent job of upscaling. I'm at least going to try to use the 2 hdmi outs on the back of the dvd player and see what happens, and I'm going to try running the cable from the audio out on the back of the TV to the receiver for audio when streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc. If it doesn't work then I'll look at a new receiver. I'm a little ticked that my receiver is just kidding when it says it's 4k ready.

Did you have to change your Netflix to the 4k service?
I also have Spectrum cable with their DVR. Have video mode set to HDR Effect on C8, looks really good to me
post #12234 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:

My Marantz 6009 receiver does support ARC, but still not sure how I'll get audio from the TV when streaming to the receiver.
post #12235 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since I am new to this game. My C8 being my first 4K, is there a primer somewhere on what all I need to ensure everything will work together properly?

I don’t yet have a 4K source. So that will probably be Netflix or streaming service. 4K disc player down the road.

AVR Denon x1400
Speakers will be Focal 906 and HSU VT3 MK5

I need speaker wires and an optical out from TV to AVR.

Other than HDMI from sources to AVR and AVR to TV, what else am I missing?

Anything else I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12236 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun1 View Post
Since I am new to this game. My C8 being my first 4K, is there a primer somewhere on what all I need to ensure everything will work together properly?

I don’t yet have a 4K source. So that will probably be Netflix or streaming service. 4K disc player down the road.

AVR Denon x1400

I'm running a Denon x4500h and I use ARC and it works brilliantly. I was planning on streaming from my PS4, but the TVs apps work so good and easy, I just use that. You can set up the Denon to automatically switch to TV Audio when you turn it on as well. So in my opinion, no need for optical.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #12237 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
My Marantz 6009 receiver does support ARC, but still not sure how I'll get audio from the TV when streaming to the receiver.
High Speed HDMI cables are ok for now but you really should use a High Speed Cable that has been tested and certified. Ethernet means nothing at this point in time because that is an HDMI option that was never adopted by the device mfrs but cable mfrs still like to advertise that feature. It will become useful once eARC is widely adopted and available so until then, I wouldn't worry about it.

HDMI carries both audio and video in one direction, as I'm sure you know. ARC (Audio Return Channel) allows to you send and receive audio in two directions, at its simplest definition.

If you can't run the 4k player thru your receiver because of HDCP, then you can connect your player, via HDMI to your tv and then use an optical cable from your tv to the receiver for audio. You will only get 5.1 audio though, not HD Audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc) because optical doesn't have the bandwidth capacity for the HD Audio stream. You might be able to use the second HDMI out on your player for audio, in which case you'd connect that to your receiver.

You can connect you cable box directly to your tv and use the optical out connection for audio back to your receiver as an option for Spectrum audio. I do that with Comcrap. You can also use the same optical out on the tv for use with the tv's SmartApps. However, you will need to change source every time on your receiver so that it "knows" where audio is coming from (the Spectrum cable connection, the tv's SmartApps, or the blu-ray player).

If it were me, I'd look into upgrading your receiver if budget allows. It would so much easier. That way the receiver would be the hub of your HTS with all connections passing thru it.

When 4k was first introduced, I think HDCP was a version behind 2.2 (2.1 maybe?) so it wasn't a problem then. Now-a-days with 4k HDR tv's, it's almost a requirement to have all of your connected devices on the same HDMI/HDCP hardware versions (2.0b/2.2) so it can be plug and play.

A directional cable is an active cable. Meaning that there is a chipset in the sink end (tv side) that draws a little power from the HDMI input so that you can have a longer cable run (longer than the maximum 25' certifiable distance) and still maintain signal integrity. If your run is under about 20' a passive Premium High Speed HDMI cable will work just fine. Remember, the cable is just the data pipe. It's the HDMI chipsets at the source and sink end that pretty much determine what you can send and receive successfully.
jtchambliss likes this.

post #12238 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfocean View Post
I'm running a Denon x4500h and I use ARC and it works brilliantly. I was planning on streaming from my PS4, but the TVs apps work so good and easy, I just use that. You can set up the Denon to automatically switch to TV Audio when you turn it on as well. So in my opinion, no need for optical.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wonderful! Thank you. For some reason I thought the x1400 didn’t do ARC. But if it does, then that works perfectly!

Less cables to TV is better!

post #12239 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Full HDMI2.1 support with 48Gbps bandwidth modes (eg 12 bit 4:4:4 4K60), eARC, ALLM, VRR, etc - more than baby steps for many people

Sure, once you have AVRs, soundbars, and other hardware that can actually take advantage of any of those features, it will be really useful.
MeximusPrime and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12240 of 21727 Old 02-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun1 View Post

AVR Denon x1400

You've got the receiver and you've got the speakers so that's half the battle.

If your HDMI cable runs are under about 20', then purchase Premium High Speed HDMI cables. That's about the best you can do for now. Any number of cable mfrs offer Premium High Speed HDMI cables (Monoprice, BJC, MediaBridge to name a few). The cables will come with a QR label for authenticity.

Any solid copper core speaker wire (AWG18 is recommended) will work. You don't need to spend a lot of money on the wire.

Optical from the tv to the receiver is good for the tv's SmartApps or if you have a cable box connected to your tv and want audio. However, optical is limited to 5.1 at this point in time as is ARC. Some devices will pass lossy Atmos but that's it. Optical and ARC can not pass HD Audio (DTS-MA, Dobly TrueHD, etc). If you want to eliminate the optical cable you can use ARC, which does work for a lot of folks but do keep in mind that quite often, ARC is tied to CEC, and CEC has lots of issues. If you have separate control of ARC and CEC on your receiver that shouldn't be an issue but do keep that in mind.

I have a 65 C8. The hub is a Yamaha A-780 receiver. Connected to that is an ATV4k and an LG UBK90 4k UHD player. Cable tv is Comcrap for just the local HD stations and that is connected directly to the tv with an optical out to the receiver for audio. I don't bother with the C8 SmartApps as the ATV4k offers everything that I need. ARC/CEC is disabled on everything and the entire system is controlled by a Harmony remote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page