2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 409 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80733Likes

post #12241 of 21637 Old 02-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yep. This is gleaned from earlier posts on this thread:

ASBL (automatic static brightness limiter):
- designed to dim down what it thinks is a static, non-moving image (bright or not)
- dimming of the picture after being static for a certain amount of time. (90 seconds I think but not sure)
- happens gradually
- can also trigger during non static scenes with a very low average picture level
- un-dims when something bright enters the scene or there is a scene change
- can be disabled in the service menu by turning off TPC (Thermal Protection Circuit)

Thanks. I knew about ABL, but the scene wasn't bright at all so I wasn't sure why it would be dimming. Didn't know about ASBL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
High Speed HDMI cables are ok for now but you really should use a High Speed Cable that has been tested and certified. Ethernet means nothing at this point in time because that is an HDMI option that was never adopted by the device mfrs but cable mfrs still like to advertise that feature. It will become useful once eARC is widely adopted and available so until then, I wouldn't worry about it.

HDMI carries both audio and video in one direction, as I'm sure you know. ARC (Audio Return Channel) allows to you send and receive audio in two directions, at its simplest definition.

If you can't run the 4k player thru your receiver because of HDCP, then you can connect your player, via HDMI to your tv and then use an optical cable from your tv to the receiver for audio. You will only get 5.1 audio though, not HD Audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc) because optical doesn't have the bandwidth capacity for the HD Audio stream. You might be able to use the second HDMI out on your player for audio, in which case you'd connect that to your receiver.

You can connect you cable box directly to your tv and use the optical out connection for audio back to your receiver as an option for Spectrum audio. I do that with Comcrap. You can also use the same optical out on the tv for use with the tv's SmartApps. However, you will need to change source every time on your receiver so that it "knows" where audio is coming from (the Spectrum cable connection, the tv's SmartApps, or the blu-ray player).

If it were me, I'd look into upgrading your receiver if budget allows. It would so much easier. That way the receiver would be the hub of your HTS with all connections passing thru it.

When 4k was first introduced, I think HDCP was a version behind 2.2 (2.1 maybe?) so it wasn't a problem then. Now-a-days with 4k HDR tv's, it's almost a requirement to have all of your connected devices on the same HDMI/HDCP hardware versions (2.0b/2.2) so it can be plug and play.

A directional cable is an active cable. Meaning that there is a chipset in the sink end (tv side) that draws a little power from the HDMI input so that you can have a longer cable run (longer than the maximum 25' certifiable distance) and still maintain signal integrity. If your run is under about 20' a passive Premium High Speed HDMI cable will work just fine. Remember, the cable is just the data pipe. It's the HDMI chipsets at the source and sink end that pretty much determine what you can send and receive successfully.
So I talked to the guy I bought my receiver from and he says I'll be fine for now, with a few exceptions. Since the DVR box and current Bluray player aren't sending 4k signals, connecting directly to my receiver will be fine and I can choose to either have the receiver (which is 4k, just not 2.2) or the TV upscale the signal. For streaming, I can either use the ARC hdmi monitor connection on the receiver and the ARC connection on the TV or run an optical cable. Do Netflix and Amazon Prime stream their audio in anything other than 5.1? Downside is I'll only get 5.1 with either ARC or optical, but hopefully I can live with that for a while. When I get a 4k DVD player, it will need to have 2 hdmi outputs and I can run the video directly to the TV and the audio to the receiver. As someone said earlier, this isn't clean but maybe this will last me for a little while. TV was delivered this morning but we're having the den completely re-done so it will be a few days before I can see if all this works. I'll post back but if all goes according to plan. Anybody see any holes in this?
post #12243 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post
So I talked to the guy I bought my receiver from and he says I'll be fine for now, with a few exceptions. Since the DVR box and current Bluray player aren't sending 4k signals, connecting directly to my receiver will be fine and I can choose to either have the receiver (which is 4k, just not 2.2) or the TV upscale the signal. For streaming, I can either use the ARC hdmi monitor connection on the receiver and the ARC connection on the TV or run an optical cable. Do Netflix and Amazon Prime stream their audio in anything other than 5.1? Downside is I'll only get 5.1 with either ARC or optical, but hopefully I can live with that for a while. When I get a 4k DVD player, it will need to have 2 hdmi outputs and I can run the video directly to the TV and the audio to the receiver. As someone said earlier, this isn't clean but maybe this will last me for a little while. TV was delivered this morning but we're having the den completely re-done so it will be a few days before I can see if all this works. I'll post back but if all goes according to plan. Anybody see any holes in this?
Remember that 4k is just a resolution setting. HDCP is digital copy protection. If you don't select 4k, and just 1080, then you should be fine as he said. The setup will be a bit clunky but it is doable, which will get you started.

Being as you have an older receiver, ARC may be problematic because, as I indicated, on older systems ARC is usually associated with CEC. CEC has lots of issues due to lack of standardization so if you have issues with CEC, then you may have issues with ARC. CEC allows you go use a single remote control for your entire system but either it flat out doesn't work, ARC doesn't work reliably, or you have issue selecting the correct source input. So, if you have issues, just use an optical cable from your tv to the receiver for the SmartApps and either purchase a Harmony remote or just use the individual remotes that come with your devices.

Streaming at present, is limited to 5.1 for both, and in some cases, lossy Atmos for 4k, so you won't be missing much by using an optical cable instead of ARC. Netflix 4k (an upgrade to basic Netflix) and Amazon Prime (an upgrade to Amazon) do offer audio in Atmos (but not HD Audio) but that's with 4k streams.

How long will your HDMI cable runs be because that can have an effect on ARC and HDR (if you get that far with your system)?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12244 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 08:53 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Anybody see any holes in this?

There is really no "hole in this" so long as you fully understand that the only UHD 4k video you can get with this setup is from streaming directly through the C8's internal apps or by upgrading to UHD 4k sources like an ATV4k or Firestick4k directly connected to the TV. From all other sources you are getting 2k at best that the C8 can upscale to only simulated 4k. You are still getting the same performance from your AVR that you were prior to buying the LG C8. Therefore until you get a true UHD 4k capable AVR and additional speakers you will still be only getting 5.1 audio and simulated 4k.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 02-07-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #12245 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Motion issue on C8?

I currently have a B6 and looking at upgrading to the C8. However, the B6 has terrible motion performance, any de-judder setting above 3 results in artifacts on the screen.

Can anyone tell me their opinion of motion on the C8?

I have ready in older C8 reviews that motion isn't that great. But, perhaps this has been fixed in a firmware update???

Many thanks!
post #12246 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclarkccnp View Post
I currently have a B6 and looking at upgrading to the C8. However, the B6 has terrible motion performance, any de-judder setting above 3 results in artifacts on the screen.

Can anyone tell me their opinion of motion on the C8?

I have ready in older C8 reviews that motion isn't that great. But, perhaps this has been fixed in a firmware update???

Many thanks!
I did not notice any difference from e6 to b7 to c8 myself.
post #12247 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
There is really no "hole in this" so long as you fully understand that the only UHD 4k video you can get with this setup is from streaming directly through the C8's internal apps or by upgrading to UHD 4k sources like an ATV4k or Firestick4k directly connected to the TV. From all other sources you are getting 2k at best that the C8 can upscale to only simulated 4k. You are still getting the same performance from your AVR that you were prior to buying the LG C8. Therefore until you get a true UHD 4k capable AVR and additional speakers you will still be only getting 5.1 audio and simulated 4k.
Quote:
Remember that 4k is just a resolution setting. HDCP is digital copy protection. If you don't select 4k, and just 1080, then you should be fine as he said. The setup will be a bit clunky but it is doable, which will get you started.

Being as you have an older receiver, ARC may be problematic because, as I indicated, on older systems ARC is usually associated with CEC. CEC has lots of issues due to lack of standardization so if you have issues with CEC, then you may have issues with ARC. CEC allows you go use a single remote control for your entire system but either it flat out doesn't work, ARC doesn't work reliably, or you have issue selecting the correct source input. So, if you have issues, just use an optical cable from your tv to the receiver for the SmartApps and either purchase a Harmony remote or just use the individual remotes that come with your devices.

Streaming at present, is limited to 5.1 for both, and in some cases, lossy Atmos for 4k, so you won't be missing much by using an optical cable instead of ARC. Netflix 4k (an upgrade to basic Netflix) and Amazon Prime (an upgrade to Amazon) do offer audio in Atmos (but not HD Audio) but that's with 4k streams.

How long will your HDMI cable runs be because that can have an effect on ARC and HDR (if you get that far with your system)?
Thank you so much for all this information! I think I understand and this is just a short-term fix until I get a new receiver. ARC may or may not work, but it doesn't sound like I lose anything by using the optical cable. I'll look into a 4k roku or firestick to replace the HDDVR box from Timewarner, but my understanding is that Spectrum isn't broadcasting anything in 4K so is there any real advantage to that over continuing to use the box for TV? My assumption is streaming should already be in 4k from the apps on the TV. My cable runs are one 6 foot and the rest are 4 foot.
post #12248 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun1 View Post
Wonderful! Thank you. For some reason I thought the x1400 didn’t do ARC. But if it does, then that works perfectly!

Less cables to TV is better!
ARC works great for me as well.
Spectrum cable box, Sony X700 4k UHD player and Ethernet cable connected to C8. (Yes Otto, they are all certified cables )
HDMI cable from HDMI 2 port on C8 => Denon X2000.
Use C8's apps for Nexflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4k, YouTube, etc...
All controlled by LG 'Magic' remote which powers TV, Denon and Cable box on/off with one button. Need to use Sony remote for UHD player.

Since my system is 2.0, all the additional considerations for multi channel sound don't come into play.
post #12249 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for all this information! I think I understand and this is just a short-term fix until I get a new receiver. ARC may or may not work, but it doesn't sound like I lose anything by using the optical cable. I'll look into a 4k roku or firestick to replace the HDDVR box from Timewarner, but my understanding is that Spectrum isn't broadcasting anything in 4K so is there any real advantage to that over continuing to use the box for TV? My assumption is streaming should already be in 4k from the apps on the TV. My cable runs are one 6 foot and the rest are 4 foot.
Network television (broadcast tv) does not broadcast in 4k, usually 720p and sometimes 1080i. 4k and 4k HDR is available via streaming (Roku, ATV4k, etc) if you pay extra for the service. I have cable tv for just the local HD stations (major networks, PBS, and MeTV). The rest of the "stuff" I don't bother with and just stream exclusively thru the ATV4k. I don't bother with the SmartApps on the C8. They're fun to play with every now and then but 99% of our streaming is thru the ATV4k. I don't use the few streaming apps that are also available with the 4k UHD blu-ray player. If push comes to shove, I can just use my laptop and stream to the tv via Airplay. The C8 will automatically upscale to 4k if the native signal is not in 4k. Our C8 is also hardwired to eliminate any issues that may occur via WiFi. Just make sure you have the bandwidth to stream in 4k, 4k HDR, and you have a robust WiFi signal.

Being as your cable runs are all under 10' just purchase Premium High Speed HDMI cables (with a QR label) a little longer than minimum so you can give the cable a little bit of slack at the connection. I use BJC cables. That being said, no one can give you a 100% guarantee that their cables will work without issues because there is more to a successful connection than just the data pipe. Premium cables just give you a little extra confidence that your connection will be able to handle the data stream ok. I also might add that a good cable can not improve pq regardless of what the slick marketing says. If you get a solid picture without any issues that's the best you can do.

post #12250 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
I think if you watched a dark scene and raised it back up to 50, you’d be surprised.
I had the same issue. Left half of the screen. Raised it with LG, had someone come by and check, a week later, technician came and replaced the panel. No problems since.

It went away when going below 50 Brightness too, but you really notice how details fade away. I wouldn't recommend it. Try and get your panel replaced.
post #12251 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
(Yes Otto, they are all certified cables )

Excellent!

post #12252 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Let's not get into an Apple debate, we aren't a bunch of two year olds on this forum, open your mind. If you do some homework there are a lot of folks who are using the ATV4k with great success without being an Apple fan or eco system member. The ATV4k paired with LG works extremely well, so well I've got one for each of my OLEDs. You have to give Apple credit for driving down the cost of streaming rentals and/or purchases. Prices have dropped about $10 per since their entry. One reason Disney isn't happy with them. A 4k DV title with Atmos from the iTunes store looks and sounds pretty darn good - that's coming from someone who has over a 1,000 blu-rays and nearly 100 4k disks.

I agree. The ATV4k paired with my 65 C8 (and the LG UBK90 4k UHD player) makes for a very nice system. Nothing wrong with Roku, Firestick, etc but ATV has always met my needs, and I don't think the price of a unit is that outrageous. And with Airplay, streaming anything from my laptop is problem-free. It's also nice to have 65" screen for my laptop However, that is not to be interpreted as Apple being better than others. It's not. It's just another option that works as expected in our systems (we have two HTS's) without issues.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #12253 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I did not notice any difference from e6 to b7 to c8 myself.
Baby step years.........These OLED's are pretty sweet They are not perfect but they are sweet.....
calfcramp likes this.
post #12254 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Baby step years.........These OLED's are pretty sweet They are not perfect but they are sweet.....

I agree! I'm digging the hell out of mine

post #12255 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Unless you call me a child again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
The word “we” is plural not singular so that would relate to me and others as well. The shortcomings or advantages with different devices are well documented, given a users needs the choice is usually pretty easy. This thread isn’t about streaming devices, so I’m done as well. Dismissing any product because of who made it is wrong, even Samsung
calfcramp likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #12256 of 21637 Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
LG 55 E8, still having audio issues?

Is it just me, or are others still experiencing sibilant or hissing affected audio when listening through the TV speakers?
A firmware update or two ago, this was addressed specifically in a fix. But no matter what I do, turn on/off or change sound modes, turn on/off Dolby Surround or ATMOS or change/deselect One Touch Sound Tuning, the audio does not improve.
It seems to be a sporadic issue, mainly affecting DTV audio, not all the time, not every DTV station???
My DTV audio is set to Auto. Even changing this to one of the prescribed format preferences does not seem to make a difference.
For some unknown reason, LG sound device selection always defaults to TV speakers + Optical, but if I change to TV speakers (only), there is no improvement either.
Is this still an issue that needs addressing?
post #12257 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandG View Post
She might even appreciate being referred to by the correct term: You're her fiancé, she's your fiancée.
Really? Hmm, learned something new today
calfcramp likes this.
post #12258 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
C8 Panel appears softer and dimmer

I am onto my second C8 panel as the first had uniformity and banding issues and overall, appeared less appealing than the Kuro Pro-141FD it replaces. Based on several forum users' experiences that the C8 is significantly better than the plasma, I decided to give it a second chance.

My second panel has excellent uniformity and minimal vertical banding but appears to be considerably softer and dimmer than the previous panel to the point where even my wife noticed it. The image looks closer to a 1080p image than 4k. My source material is mostly Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube through the LG apps.

My SDR settings are Expert Dark, OLED light at 30%, Expert Bright, OLED light at 50% and Technicolor Expert OLED light at 30%. HDR setting is Technicolor Expert default or Cinema or Cinema Home default. I have played around with sharpness and usually leave it a 0, although increasing it seems to have little effect. All processing and noise reduction is left off with the exception of Dynamic Tone Mapping which is on. Energy Saving is off. The panel has about 60 hours on it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by Knuck; 02-08-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #12259 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck View Post
I am onto my second C8 panel as the first had uniformity and banding issues and overall, appeared less appealing than the Kuro Pro-141FD it replaces. Based on several forum users' experiences that the C8 is significantly better than the plasma, I decided to give it a second chance.

My second panel has excellent uniformity and minimal vertical banding but appears to be considerably softer and dimmer than the previous panel to the point where even my wife noticed it. The image looks closer to a 1080p image than 4k. My source material is mostly Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube through the LG apps.

My SDR settings are Expert Dark, OLED light at 30%, Expert Bright, OLED light at 50% and Technicolor Expert OLED light at 30%. HDR setting is Technicolor Expert default or Cinema or Cinema Home default. I have played around with sharpness and usually leave it a 0, although increasing it seems to have little effect. All processing and noise reduction is left off with the exception of Dynamic Tone Mapping which is on. Energy Saving is off. The panel has about 60 hours on it.

Has anyone else experienced this?
You didn't mention your contrast and brightness settings. That could contribute to dark/dull PQ. What are they? On my 65" C8 I find I get sharper images using Cinema when watching Spectrum cable broadcasts and Netflix. And, I have my OLED light at 75%, Contrast at 90%, and brightness at 55%. I also set sharpness at 25. My panel has about 400 hours on it.
post #12260 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
You didn't mention your contrast and brightness settings. That could contribute to dark/dull PQ. What are they? On my 65" C8 I find I get sharper images using Cinema when watching Spectrum cable broadcasts and Netflix. And, I have my OLED light at 75%, Contrast at 90%, and brightness at 55%. I also set sharpness at 25. My panel has about 400 hours on it.
For Comcast cable (local HD stations only) I use:

Picture Mode Cinema User

OLED Light 40
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Sharpness 10
Color 50
Tint 0

For streaming via the ATV4k (NF, AP, HBO Go, etc.) I use:

Picture Mode Technicolor Expert

OLED Light 30
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Sharpness 0
Color 50
Tint 0

This works extremely well for us in a room with controlled day/night lighting and use of a bias light at night. It just demonstrates the wide variability in settings from C8 to C8 under differing conditions. One just has to experiment until the right combination is achieved. My panel (65 C8) has not suffered any of the issues reported (at least not to the point that pq was affected regardless of source).

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 02-08-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #12261 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
post #12262 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck View Post
My second panel ... appears to be considerably softer and dimmer than the previous panel to the point where even my wife noticed it. The image looks closer to a 1080p image than 4k.

Yes early in the life of the C8, This was discussed by several people and myself in about the 200-300 page range of the thread. As both my 65" and 77" C8s aged and settled in and I found more of a sweetspot for settings and PM choice the more the softness and dimness of SDR images dissipated. My SDR settings are superb now with just over 1400 hours of use on my 77". I have to presume you are not complaining of this issue with the UHD PM you use for NF, AP and UT, correct? I use the defaults PM settings of Cinema for DV and TexhExp for HDR which are perfect for me as is.

My SDR settings on my 77" C8 are :

PM Technicolor Expert
OLED Light 45
Contrast 60
Brightness 51
Sharpness 0
Color 65
Tint G3

Expert Controls
Dynamic Contrast OFF
Dynamic Color OFF
Super Resolution OFF
Color Gamut AUTO
Color Filter OFF
Gamma BT.1886

White Balance
Color Temp WARM1
2 Point HIGH - red 0 green -1 blue -3
LOW - red 3 green 2 blue 14
Picture Options
Noise Red OFF
MPEG Noise Red OFF
Black Level LOW
Motion Eye Care OFF
Real Cinema ON
TruMotion OFF or CLEAR

You will have to experiment for the next few hundred hours of usage to find the right combination of settings as your C8 ages.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 03-02-2019 at 10:43 AM.
post #12263 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
wrf is the impact of a Home Theater or Television, smartphone, iPad ecosystem? Is it as much of an existential threat as cow flatulence? You have tossed the term ecosystem into the discussion a few times now virtue-signaling your moral sensibilities to the presumably dangerous levels that LG C8 televisions emit electronic pollution. Isn't it really more the garbage in garbage out factor than what amount of pollution the C8 contributes? Or of any electronics for that matter. I mean are we really now going to blame the C8 for how much the gals of The View or Steven Colbert and Anderson Cooper pollute the airwaves? Isn't that pollution of the ecosystem more the cause of viewer abuse of the C8 than the fault of the C8 itself? Inquiring minds need to know.
The term ecosystem is used in technology as a way to describe platforms and Apple is known as a more of a closed ecosystem and Google is known as open, and plenty in the middle. Windows and Mac programs rarely work on each other, something people have been debated and based decisions on for years, and now with IoT and things like streaming devices, its important to know the differences. But I think you know that. To each their own, but it is good to be aware of your options. Have a nice day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #12264 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 330
^^ Regardless, which eco- or ego-system one belongs to, us withing the LG C8 ecosystem need to work together on improving. Besides once you get as big as Google how do they stay open ecosystem, I don't buy it....
calfcramp likes this.
post #12265 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 12:47 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
The term ecosystem is used in technology as a way to describe platforms and Apple is known as a more of a closed ecosystem and Google is known as open, and plenty in the middle. ... But I think you know that.

huh, actually I wasn't aware of that silly word play in the tech world. Anyway...an Apple a day keeps me regular.

Russ (another one)

post #12266 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Yes early in the life of the C8, This was discussed by several people and myself in about the 200-300 page range of the thread. As both my 65" and 77" C8s aged and settled in and I found more of a sweetspot for settings and PM choice the more the softness and dimness of SDR images dissipated. My SDR settings are superb now with just over 1400 hours of use on my 77". I have to presume you are not complaining of this issue with the UHD PM you use for NF, AP and UT, correct? I use the defaults PM settings of Cinema for DV and TexhExp for HDR which are perfect for me as is.

You will have to experiment for the next few hundred hours of usage to find the right combination of settings as your C8 ages.
Good to know. Fortunately I bought the C8 from Costco so I have time to monitor the break-in.
post #12267 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
WiFi disconnects after sometime, so frustrating... Its not routers fault... I connect the TV to 5GHz wifi which is hidden so after the TV disconnects, I need to enter my wifi settings all over again. Too bad the tv's ethernet is up to 100mbps . I will check how it works with 2.4Ghz as some suggested (my tv is 1 m from the router, same room) and see if it suddenly disconnects . With 2.4Ghz I get ~70Mbps , on 5Ghz I reached ~220 mbps .

I will connect the TV via Ethernet cable . I didn't have issues with 100mbps and Netflix

What bothers me more is that it seems to forget my WiFi (password+SSID) so in order to connect it back I need add the Wifi network again.

TV : LG OLED 65C8 [U]

Last edited by Dreamer2018; 02-08-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #12268 of 21637 Old 02-08-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2018 View Post
WiFi disconnects after sometime, so frustrating... Its not routers fault... I connect the TV to 5GHz wifi which is hidden so after the TV disconnects, I need to enter my wifi settings all over again. Too bad the tv's ethernet is up to 100mbps . I will check how it works with 2.4Ghz as some suggested (my tv is 1 m from the router, same room) and see if it suddenly disconnects . With 2.4Ghz I get ~70Mbps , on 5Ghz I reached ~220 mbps .

I will connect the TV via Ethernet cable . I didn't have issues with 100mbps and Netflix

What bothers me more is that it seems to forget my WiFi (password+SSID) so in order to connect it back I need add the Wifi network again.

FWIW, I have my C8 hardwired to a gigabit switch and get a 100Mbps all of the time, which is more than adequate for streaming 4k HDR.
rdgcss and mrtickleuk like this.

post #12269 of 21637 Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
I agree. The ATV4k paired with my 65 C8 (and the LG UBK90 4k UHD player) makes for a very nice system. Nothing wrong with Roku, Firestick, etc but ATV has always met my needs, and I don't think the price of a unit is that outrageous. And with Airplay, streaming anything from my laptop is problem-free. It's also nice to have 65" screen for my laptop However, that is not to be interpreted as Apple being better than others. It's not. It's just another option that works as expected in our systems (we have two HTS's) without issues.
Thanks all for the help. Tv is set up and looks great, ARC is working so I’m getting DD from cable box and DD+ from tv apps. After I get some hours on it I’ll start tweaking some settings.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12270 of 21637 Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
The word “we” is plural not singular so that would relate to me and others as well. The shortcomings or advantages with different devices are well documented, given a users needs the choice is usually pretty easy. This thread isn’t about streaming devices, so I’m done as well. Dismissing any product because of who made it is wrong, even Samsung
Dismissing a product just because way back when you had an issue is not always the wisest either. People and Companies change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page