2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 417 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78813Likes

post #12481 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey gents,
Looking to snag the 65” C8 or maybe even the B8. Coming from a Panasonic plasma ST60 (their last generation), how will they compare mainly on brightness in a fairly bright room? My panny washes out too much during the day and I’m also jumping into 4K. I’ve ruled out the high end LCDs mainly due to the black levels and motion issues, not to mention off center viewing.

I couldn’t seem to find measurements in nits comparing the two. I don’t want to dive in only to barely gain much other than 4K capability. They look great at Best Buy but that’s not a great test, ha!

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12482 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Do have sound bar or receiver and use it for sound? Go into Setting & disable the internal speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfous View Post
I'm using ARC through an HDMI cable to my receiver.

thx

No joy. The internal speakers are off when I chose ARC.

Sony 65x850c
Denon AVR-1712
Linn Katana
post #12483 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I'm confused by that too. What did you mean @calfcramp ? Mpeg NR is in the "Picture options" menu of each picture mode and should be available in all 21 modes.
What I mean is, after having it calibrated using the newest Calman SD\HDR software, on all the inputs, 16 picture modes{Not counting Dolby Vision} There are settings that can not be adjusted. Both noise reduction is one of them!

I also believe aways back, I asked fellow members if this is normal after getting it calibrated with Calman. I believe you were one that said it is! I do apologize if I am wrong. You sent me this....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56489988

May have been some confusion on my describing the grayed out options.

That post was also back in July, I believe they came out with their newest HDR cal software after that!

Last edited by calfcramp; 02-19-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12484 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
Hey gents,
Looking to snag the 65” C8 or maybe even the B8. Coming from a Panasonic plasma ST60 (their last generation), how will they compare mainly on brightness in a fairly bright room? My panny washes out too much during the day and I’m also jumping into 4K. I’ve ruled out the high end LCDs mainly due to the black levels and motion issues, not to mention off center viewing.

I couldn’t seem to find measurements in nits comparing the two. I don’t want to dive in only to barely gain much other than 4K capability. They look great at Best Buy but that’s not a great test, ha!

Thank you.
Its not an LED, but its considerably better than plasma in a bright room. The ISF - Bright picture mode with the light dialed up to 80+ will do a lot. As long as you don't have direct sun near the screen you should be satisfied. You'll also enjoy better blacks and WAY better highlights.
post #12485 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
What I mean is, after having it calibrated using the newest Calman SD\HDR software, on all the inputs, 16 picture modes{Not counting Dolby Vision} There are settings that can not be adjusted. Both noise reduction is one of them!

I also believe aways back, I asked fellow members if this is normal after getting it calibrated with Calman. I believe you were one that said it is! I am apologize if I am wrong. You sent me this....

That post was also back in July, I believe they came out with their newest HDR cal software after that!

Still confused. Did you go into the Service Menu to change any settings? Is the MPEG NR On or Off, even though it is greyed out?

I know on my older LG some options were not available depending on how the HDMI Input was named (PC, STB, etc) because the tv already had default settings for the particular source with some options not available. I haven't messed around with the HDMI Input names on my C8, and checked the settings options available, so I don't know if that is still true or not. The only source on my older LCD LG that I calibrated was the Movie mode because that was the only input name that had all of the options available with the source being the blu-ray player. It made no sense to me to calibrate the other inputs because the variability in source material so I just adjusted the basic settings for those inputs.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12486 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Still confused. Did you go into the Service Menu to change any settings? Is the MPEG NR On or Off, even though it is greyed out?

I know on my older LG some options were not available depending on how the HDMI Input was named (PC, STB, etc) because the tv already had default settings for the particular source with some options not available. I haven't messed around with the HDMI Input names on my C8, and checked the settings options available, so I don't know if that is still true or not. The only source on my older LCD LG that I calibrated was the Movie mode because that was the only input name that had all of the options available with the source being the blu-ray player. It made no sense to me to calibrate the other inputs because the variability in source material so I just adjusted the basic settings for those inputs.
You're the man! I had all the inputs set to PC. I wanted them all to be 444 chroma. I set it the way it should be set. According to device and now the options came back! Only thing is when you use consoles or watch movies, it won't be 444 chroma.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12487 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I’m pretty unhappy with lg at the moment:

Purchased my set last month from Costco. Everything was perfect until last week. I have the black scenes blocking/moving/grayish coloring thing happening. Also my motion settings keep turning off when I watch HDR content. And to top it off my white balance “not sure if that’s the right name” the one that lets you pick warm, warm1, warm2...does not work half the time and I have to turn the tv off and back on to get it to work again.

I tried resetting several times, and also cold reset by unplugging and hold the power button. I have the latest software installed. Nothing seems to work.

I have been able to completely eliminate the blocking issue by raising brightness to 53. Almost like a switch as soon as it hits 53 boom it’s totally gone. Of course then I never get true black. So I’m currently stuck with a “perfect black tv”, that can’t go darker than my 230.00 Roku tv.
post #12488 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redogfizbal View Post
I’m pretty unhappy with lg at the moment:

Purchased my set last month from Costco. Everything was perfect until last week. I have the black scenes blocking/moving/grayish coloring thing happening. Also my motion settings keep turning off when I watch HDR content. And to top it off my white balance “not sure if that’s the right name” the one that lets you pick warm, warm1, warm2...does not work half the time and I have to turn the tv off and back on to get it to work again.

I tried resetting several times, and also cold reset by unplugging and hold the power button. I have the latest software installed. Nothing seems to work.

I have been able to completely eliminate the blocking issue by raising brightness to 53. Almost like a switch as soon as it hits 53 boom it’s totally gone. Of course then I never get true black. So I’m currently stuck with a “perfect black tv”, that can’t go darker than my 230.00 Roku tv.
Maybe you should be unhappy with Costco. They sold it to you.

Seriously, every manufacturer has a certain percentage of sets that don't turn on, have some banding issue, or some other problem. That's life. We live in an imperfect world. The same types of issues, i.e., getting a product that has a defect, applies to appliances, cars, computers, stereos, and so on. No manufacturer of any product guarantees that none of their products will ever have a single defect or issue.

If you bought it from Costco last month, you're well within the 90-day return period, so why not just return it and get another one? Chances are you'll get a good one next time.
post #12489 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
You're the man! I had all the inputs set to PC. I wanted them all to be 444 chroma. I set it the way it should be set. According to device and now the options came back! Only thing is when you use consoles or watch movies, it won't be 444 chroma.
Can you actually tell the difference visually between 4:2:0 (movies, sports, tv shows) and 4:4:4 (pc and video games)? 4:2:0 is still the industry standard for blu-ray movies. Unless you plan on using your tv as a pc monitor and are reading text, you shouldn't need anything more than 4:2:0.
lsorensen likes this.

post #12490 of 19212 Old 02-18-2019, 10:45 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6392 Post(s)
Liked: 6391
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamad138 View Post
First day of c8. It's incredible. It just destroys my old q9fn.
Only set that really stands a chance against OLED is the almost gone forever Z9D......
post #12491 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked: 6696
Quote:

I also believe aways back, I asked fellow members if this is normal after getting it calibrated with Calman. I believe you were one that said it is! I am apologize if I am wrong. You sent me this....

Yes, but that's not changed. The White balance and gamma are certainly locked, for the reasons explained.
"MPEG Noise reduction" is in a different menu, and should not be locked. It isn't when I've calibrated with Calman's LUTs.

EDIT: Seen your other post. Good, that's explained that!
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12492 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
Hey gents,

Thank you.

All I can do is state my experience going from plasma to the C8 OLED. I had a professionally calibrated Pioneer KRP-600M which most considered the best display until 4K and OLED and others came out. The picture on my C8 just knocks me out, especially on 4K blu ray HDR or DV. The brightness of my C8 can be much higher, especially if you have it professionally calibrated for a bright room. I have not had it calibrated yet but even without that calibration it can easily be brighter than my Pioneer was.
post #12493 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTBC View Post
All I can do is state my experience going from plasma to the C8 OLED. I had a professionally calibrated Pioneer KRP-600M which most considered the best display until 4K and OLED and others came out. The picture on my C8 just knocks me out, especially on 4K blu ray HDR or DV. The brightness of my C8 can be much higher, especially if you have it professionally calibrated for a bright room. I have not had it calibrated yet but even without that calibration it can easily be brighter than my Pioneer was.
I'm going to agree with that. I came from a 65inch Panasonic VT-30 that died on me. My C8 blows the panny out of the water, and mine isn't calibrated yet either. Across the board with HD-Blu rays, to gaming on the PS4, to even over the air TV. Also, I'm surprised how much we like the streaming apps. I never used them in the past and we always used the PS4. The ease of use of pushing one button and having everything there, instead of changing inputs on the receiever and using that damn PS4 controller to play movies is awesome. I'm super happy with my choice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
calfcramp, jboileau and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12494 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I hate to bug you guys and I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread but..... The HDR in the upper right of the screen doesn't popup when I play HDR. What did I mess up? Thanks
post #12495 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thunder07 View Post
I hate to bug you guys and I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread but..... The HDR in the upper right of the screen doesn't popup when I play HDR. What did I mess up? Thanks

Do you have deep color enabled for that hdmi input ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #12496 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
^ I don't know, I just got this TV a couple days ago. where in the menu do I do that? It's a 55E8 Thanks again
post #12497 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
^ I don't know, I just got this TV a couple days ago. where in the menu do I do that? Thanks again

I am new to my set also but I believe it is under general settings ?

11thunder07 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #12498 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

HDMI Ultra Deep Color can be set to each HDMI input. On the 65 C8 it is found under: Picture -> Picture Mode -> Additional Settings. I have mine enabled on the HDMI input from my UHD devices. For my Comcrap legacy cable box (1080 only) I had to connect the STB directly to the C8 and then disable Deep Color because the STB couldn't handle it. All other devices go thru my receiver.

What is interesting is that on the Cinema Home (Dolby Vision) default, HDMI Ultra Deep Color is grayed out.
calfcramp and 11thunder07 like this.

post #12499 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Quote:
^ I don't know, I just got this TV a couple days ago. where in the menu do I do that? It's a 55E8 Thanks again
Settings --> Picture --> Additional Settings --> "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color" = ON

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #12500 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
HDMI Ultra Deep Color can be set to each HDMI input. On the 65 C8 it is found under: Picture -> Picture Mode -> Additional Settings. I have mine enabled on the HDMI input from my UHD devices. For my Comcrap legacy cable box (1080 only) I had to connect the STB directly to the C8 and then disable Deep Color because the STB couldn't handle it. All other devices go thru my receiver.

What is interesting is that on the Cinema Home (Dolby Vision) default, HDMI Ultra Deep Color is grayed out.

Thanks for the more detailed info , for dv that setting isn’t required because it is presented in an 8 bit container I believe.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #12501 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the more detailed info , for dv that setting isn’t required because it is presented in an 8 bit container I believe.
You are correct! 24/25/30Hz Dolby Vision hides its 10 or 12bit 4:2:0 signal inside an 8-bit 4:4:4/RGB container (8.9Gbps), and it's compatible with HDMI 1.4!

The "HDMI Ultra Deep Color" really means "change the EDID to indicate to connected devices that I can handle the high-bandwidth modes from HDMI 2.0". See the link in my sig for a nice table where you can see the bandwidths

If you can find some 60Hz Dolby Vision content to send down the HDMI cable, I think that setting would be un-greyed. But I have no external dolby vision source, or indeed, content.
Otto Pylot and calfcramp like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-19-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #12502 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:

I believe you are correct. Thanks.

post #12503 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You are correct! 24/25/30Hz Dolby Vision hides its 10 or 12bit 4:2:0 signal inside an 8-bit 4:4:4/RGB container (8.9Gbps), and it's compatible with HDMI 1.4!

The "HDMI Ultra Deep Color" really means "change the EDID to indicate to connected devices that I can handle the high-bandwidth modes from HDMI 2.0". See the link in my sig for a nice table where you can see the bandwidths

If you can find some 60Hz Dolby Vision content to send down the HDMI cable, I think that setting would be un-greyed. But I have no external dolby vision source, or indeed, content.

Yep matches my understanding thanks

calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #12504 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Maybe you should be unhappy with Costco. They sold it to you.

Seriously, every manufacturer has a certain percentage of sets that don't turn on, have some banding issue, or some other problem. That's life. We live in an imperfect world. The same types of issues, i.e., getting a product that has a defect, applies to appliances, cars, computers, stereos, and so on. No manufacturer of any product guarantees that none of their products will ever have a single defect or issue.

If you bought it from Costco last month, you're well within the 90-day return period, so why not just return it and get another one? Chances are you'll get a good one next time.

I took your advice and exchanged my set for another at Costco. They gave me no problems at all. First thing I noticed about the new set is that the screen was perfectly flat and had no ripples like my last set; “the last set had some minor ripples along the bottom.” it came with the most recent firmware out of the box.

The black level blocking is completely gone, HDR no longer turns off my motion settings, and I can adjust the white balance again. So I guess I won’t know if it was a bad panel, or some type glitch in my firmware. I just hope everything stays this way, because the picture is so dang good.
calfcramp, jboileau and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12505 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 289
^^ Ripples, sounds very fishy? It looks like someone returned it, since it also had the update. You could keep checking the set but if I were you if things do not seem right, go to another place other than Costco.

Oops, I stand corrected. Thanks @Jrocker23
Jrocker23 likes this.

Last edited by tanman; 02-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.
post #12506 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ Ripples, sounds very fishy? It looks like someone returned it, since it also had the update. You could keep checking the set but if I were you if things do not seem right, go to another place other than Costco.
He said the new set had no ripples like the old one and the screen was flat compared to the old one. I think you read his comment wrong

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
tanman likes this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #12507 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Does this mean I would not want to use 10 or 12 bit or 4:2:2 on Dolby Vision from xbox one x?

post #12508 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redogfizbal View Post
I took your advice and exchanged my set for another at Costco. They gave me no problems at all. First thing I noticed about the new set is that the screen was perfectly flat and had no ripples like my last set; “the last set had some minor ripples along the bottom.” it came with the most recent firmware out of the box.

The black level blocking is completely gone, HDR no longer turns off my motion settings, and I can adjust the white balance again. So I guess I won’t know if it was a bad panel, or some type glitch in my firmware. I just hope everything stays this way, because the picture is so dang good.
That's awesome. I hope it turns out to be a keeper. I'm very happy with mine, as it seems I got one of the good ones also.
calfcramp likes this.
post #12509 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does the LG C8 Netflix app output 24p content as 24fps to the TV? My other Netflix device is an Nvidia Shield (Android) which apparently doesn't do 24fps, so if the LG Netflix app does 24fps, that would be nice. What about Amazon Prime?
post #12510 of 19212 Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
Does this mean I would not want to use 10 or 12 bit or 4:2:2 on Dolby Vision from xbox one x?
No, not at all. It's explaining how the dolby vision signal is wrapped up and tunnelled down the cable via a HDMI1.4-compatible RGB 8-bit connection. For you as a user, you don't need to know and you would normally set the HDMI Deep Colour to ON at the TV end, for every HDMI socket, unless you have a particular problem with an old incompatible device.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page