2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 420 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81138Likes

post #12571 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
Thank you for this! I will start with their settings and eye ball it from here. In your opinion as a C8 owner, if I primarily like the brighter picture settings (more punch as I mentioned before), how inaccurate would the nighttime viewing be? I'd prefer to have one mode to set and forget it I know I also have to set the other modes for DV and HDR viewing but those switch automatically each time. I know it sounds silly (dont blast me for this) but upon viewing the C8 at BB in Vivid mode, it still looked amazing to me! I know the colors are oversaturated and etc, but I liked it Im just trying to obtain a fairly accurate calibrated display with a little extra kick/brightness.
You're welcome. I'll blast you in a PM for daring to say anything positive about vivid mode!

There are many others in this forum that have a better handle on the finer aspects of picture tweaking than I, and one of them may chime in. Part of the problem lies in subjective perception of what qualifies as "punch" in a picture. Some may see brightness/black level as bringing it, others may see color saturation as bringing it. But, "punch" aside, generally speaking a well-adjusted picture for daytime viewing will lack the deep blacks for night viewing. The picture is likely to look washed out to some degree. At least that's my understanding.

There is also the variable of the OLED light which may or may not affect your perception of "punch," but with effects on picture quality that I cannot intelligently articulate. Some have said that OLED light only affects your perception of the brightness of the image without affecting the image quality itself. Others have said that it does affect the image quality. I don't know the answer to that question. I know it affects the perceived brightness, but I don't know if it affects the black level. Logically it seems like it should, but again, others are more educated on the topic.

I don't switch modes or picture settings for daytime vs. night viewing for my main-level OLED (65C7) which is in a room with a lot of ambient light. My 65C8 is in a light-controlled room. All I can tell you is what I did and you can try it for yourself. I used the Digital Video Essentials "calibration" disc to set my picture settings for a dark environment. I also used the AVS HD 709 patterns available in the calibration forum to check the results from the DVE disc. They were not identical, but they were pretty close. I set the display up for a dark environment because the critical viewing is at night. Once that was set, I felt that the settings were satisfactory for daytime noncritical viewing. For that reason, I never change them.

So set it up so that it looks the way you like it, with as much punch as you want, for whatever time of day you will do your critical viewing. Then see how it looks at other times of the day. Keep good notes on your settings and changes so that you're not constantly reinventing the wheel.

And stay away from vivid mode.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad43 View Post
You're welcome. I'll blast you in a PM for daring to say anything positive about vivid mode!

There are many others in this forum that have a better handle on the finer aspects of picture tweaking than I, and one of them may chime in. Part of the problem lies in subjective perception of what qualifies as "punch" in a picture. Some may see brightness/black level as bringing it, others may see color saturation as bringing it. But, "punch" aside, generally speaking a well-adjusted picture for daytime viewing will lack the deep blacks for night viewing. The picture is likely to look washed out to some degree. At least that's my understanding.

There is also the variable of the OLED light which may or may not affect your perception of "punch," but with effects on picture quality that I cannot intelligently articulate. Some have said that OLED light only affects your perception of the brightness of the image without affecting the image quality itself. Others have said that it does affect the image quality. I don't know the answer to that question. I know it affects the perceived brightness, but I don't know if it affects the black level. Logically it seems like it should, but again, others are more educated on the topic.

I don't switch modes or picture settings for daytime vs. night viewing for my main-level OLED (65C7) which is in a room with a lot of ambient light. My 65C8 is in a light-controlled room. All I can tell you is what I did and you can try it for yourself. I used the Digital Video Essentials "calibration" disc to set my picture settings for a dark environment. I also used the AVS HD 709 patterns available in the calibration forum to check the results from the DVE disc. They were not identical, but they were pretty close. I set the display up for a dark environment because the critical viewing is at night. Once that was set, I felt that the settings were satisfactory for daytime noncritical viewing. For that reason, I never change them.

So set it up so that it looks the way you like it, with as much punch as you want, for whatever time of day you will do your critical viewing. Then see how it looks at other times of the day. Keep good notes on your settings and changes so that you're not constantly reinventing the wheel.

And stay away from vivid mode.
Ha! I knew I would get a reaction out of you guys regarding the vivid setting. Dont worry, I wont use it! Very good and sound advice here. I will try calibrating it as mentioned in the links for a darker room first to see how I like it. Then I can always adjust things a bit to personal tastes there after. I am likely over thinking all of this and just excited for its arrival. Its replacing my Panny ST60 and its funny how some claim its quite a bit better than the Plasmas while others seem more underwhelmed.
chad43 likes this.
post #12573 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1000 View Post
Dolby Digital Plus is potentially much better than Dolby Digital. It is not simply 5.1 with (lossy) Atmos added. It supports much higher bitrates, more channels, better coding and object-based metadata. Whether these enhancements are used to better the sound quality in Netflix or other streams is not clear to me. It might be possible that the improvements in coding are used to lower the bitrate, resulting in a comparable quality to AC-3. If that is true than sound quality could be even worse if this needs to be transcoded to regular Dolby Digital if E-AC-3 is not supported.

Mark
You are probably correct and that's why I "respectfully" disagreed. I guess for me its a moot point because I don't need or use ARC, my receiver is the hub of my HTS so all HDMI connected devices go thru it first (no need to worry about audio formats), and I don't use the SmartApps (I get everything I need from the ATV4k).
mrtickleuk likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12574 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Many in this forum will say let the C8 do the upscaling, and they may be correct. I've yet to see a scientific comparison where upscaling in any given source device was compared with upscaling in the C8.

It ultimately comes down to (1) which device has the better upscaler and (2) does one method look subjectively better to you than the other.
I've always been in the camp of letting the tv do the upscaling if it can. The C8 automatically upscales all non-native 4k formats to 4k. Whether there is an issue if it receives a signal that has been previously upscaled (modified) to 4k I don't know.

post #12575 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Ha! I knew I would get a reaction out of you guys regarding the vivid setting. Dont worry, I wont use it! Very good and sound advice here. I will try calibrating it as mentioned in the links for a darker room first to see how I like it. Then I can always adjust things a bit to personal tastes there after. I am likely over thinking all of this and just excited for its arrival. Its replacing my Panny ST60 and its funny how some claim its quite a bit better than the Plasmas while others seem more underwhelmed.
I took your meaning regarding the vivid reference in your initial post. It was merely emblematic of what you like to see in a picture.

You are probably overthinking it and are understandably excited. Before I got my C7, and before I got my C8, I spent hours reading hundreds of posts on the forums. I've been self-"calibrating" (more on that later) my displays for years and though I'm not as expert in the finer aspects as others, I generally know my way around displays and their operating functions. Despite this, you'd have thought these were my first televisions ever the way I obsessed over all the details while I was awaiting delivery. I still remember spending hours researching whether I needed to run slides to break in the C7 (you don't, in my opinion).

Unless you get a bad unit, odds are you'll love it by doing nothing more than the basic setup functions (turn energy saving off, make sure picture "enhancements" are off, enable Deep Color, etc), select the Technicolor or ISF Dark mode (SDR), and then adjusting to personal preference.

About the "C" word. There are some who will object to your use of the word "calibration" in the context of adjusting the picture mode settings. Technically, this is not a "calibration," but rather, a picture adjustment. No one appreciates hyper-linguistic clarity more than I (occupational hazard), but I don't think it's necessary to put that fine of a point on it. I recognize and appreciate the distinction, and I actually have a high opinion of the individual members who point out the distinction based on their other contributions to this forum. I just don't know that it's necessary given that the context in which the word is used renders its meaning very clear.

That's more preachy than I like to get.
calfcramp and 11thunder07 like this.
post #12576 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I've always been in the camp of letting the tv do the upscaling if it can. The C8 automatically upscales all non-native 4k formats to 4k. Whether there is an issue if it receives a signal that has been previously upscaled (modified) to 4k I don't know.
I can't disagree with that. That part we "don't know" has always bothered me. I've searched high and low for controlled testing which compares outboard vs. onboard upscaling and haven't found a thing.

In my setup, I've got a Marantz AV8802A as my pre/pro. My belief is that the Marantz's internal scaler is very high quality, so I let it do all the upscaling, but no other picture adjustments or processing. My way may be better, or it may be worse than having the C8 do the upscaling. Since I'm otherwise thrilled with the result I decided to just leave it alone and spend more time on the driving range.
post #12577 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5084 Post(s)
Liked: 7412
Quote:
I would like to respectfully disagree with that somewhat. I think a lot of folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference between discrete 5.1 via optical vs ARC. ARC does have the advantage, on some systems, to pass lossy Atmos but until eARC is commonplace, and supported on multiple devices, the audio is basically the same. If you don't have a properly setup Atmos system, there is no difference.
Sure - I was meaning technically. DD+ is technically superior. I may have perfect pitch but I don't have "golden ears" so pass no comment on real-life audio quality

In practice, I'm sure it is the exact same soundtrack that Amazon pipe through either DD or DD+, Perhaps they use DD+ to save bandwidth, instead of increasing the quality of the same soundtrack. I have no way to measure it.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-22-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #12578 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for this! I will start with their settings and eye ball it from here. In your opinion as a C8 owner, if I primarily like the brighter picture settings (more punch as I mentioned before), how inaccurate would the nighttime viewing be? I'd prefer to have one mode to set and forget it I know I also have to set the other modes for DV and HDR viewing but those switch automatically each time. I know it sounds silly (dont blast me for this) but upon viewing the C8 at BB in Vivid mode, it still looked amazing to me! I know the colors are oversaturated and etc, but I liked it Im just trying to obtain a fairly accurate calibrated display with a little extra kick/brightness.
It's your choice but if you wanted accuracy, using Vivid means you've started from the absolute worst possible position.
EDIT: Just caught up on the other posts. My reply here looks very meek now
@chad43 , message received
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-22-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #12579 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
It's your choice but if you wanted accuracy, using Vivid means you've started from the absolute worst possible position.
He was just using vivid as an example. He's not going to use it.
post #12580 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
All good. I just felt bad that the poor guy was getting ganged up on for making the mistake of mentioning "vivid" in any sort of positive way!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12581 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I know now because I read the other posts after the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Hey mrtickleuk. Quick Question on the C8 calibration. If gamma, color, etc is grayed out after using autocal, why are the standard ones not? Contrast, brightness, color, etc. Messing with those in anyway while the others have already been calibrated, would destroy the calibration, no?
To add to @Wjboshart 's reply - "no" .

Tyler from Spectracal pointed out that the LUT is calculated and designed for the defaults for Contrast=85 and Brightness=50. If you change those two settings, your calibration will be wrong. Not "destroyed", but definitely wrong. It'll also be an invalid LUT if the calibration wasn't done with those two values. Those two values effectively put the TV in "bypass mode", so that the custom-loaded LUT will be correct and also take over the role of the "thing that dictates the black level and peak white" etc.

You can adjust everything else that isn't greyed out as much as you like. Most of them will not affect the calibration but two more controls that I would not touch at all are "Colour" and "tint" for obvious reasons :-)
calfcramp likes this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 02-22-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #12582 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I can't disagree with that. That part we "don't know" has always bothered me. I've searched high and low for controlled testing which compares outboard vs. onboard upscaling and haven't found a thing.

In my setup, I've got a Marantz AV8802A as my pre/pro. My belief is that the Marantz's internal scaler is very high quality, so I let it do all the upscaling, but no other picture adjustments or processing. My way may be better, or it may be worse than having the C8 do the upscaling. Since I'm otherwise thrilled with the result I decided to just leave it alone and spend more time on the driving range.
There may be technically "correct" ways to do various things with HTS's but the bottom like is if you like what you see/hear, then it's the correct way I gave up a long time ago trying to make everything in my HTS's technically accurate or correct. Cost being the driving factor in trying to keep up with it all. Besides, I had to get a grip on my OCDness My receiver is a Yamaha A-780 for the upstairs HTS (65 C8).
calfcramp, chad43 and mrtickleuk like this.

post #12583 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos75 View Post
Purchasing a C8 and setting it up and I have a question in regards to setting up my BD player. For the best PQ should I set the player (Sony X700) up to upscale or let the TV do it?
After a few months experience with a 55C8 + X700 I've noticed image quality that is highly synergistic with UHD Blu-ray. I have the 4K Upscale Setting set to Auto2, which automatically outputs 4K (2160P). While one could change it to Auto1 for HD Blu-ray (1080P) sources, therefore letting the C8 process the upscaling, I haven't seen anything in the image quality which compels me to bother.

LG's upscaling of my broadcast (antenna) feeds as well as streaming 1950's-60's B&W television shows is very satisfying. Striking an excellent balance for both high and low quality content.

Fell free to purchase some UHD Blu-ray HDR discs and be amazed at how good both film and digital movies can look.
calfcramp likes this.
post #12584 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha, no worries folks. I never planned to use Vivid as stated earlier. Just used in context to describe what I am after. Next thing you know, the Mods will be kicking me out of this forum I kid

Again, thanks for everyone's help, truly! The TV just shipped as well.
post #12585 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All good. I just felt bad that the poor guy was getting ganged up on for making the mistake of mentioning "vivid" in any sort of positive way!
Secretly you all watch your sets in vivid but are in denial.

post #12586 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Secretly you all watch your sets in vivid but are in denial.

<slap!>

Do keep us updated and hang around when it arrives, of course
merrymaid520 likes this.

post #12587 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
I watch everything in game mode

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #12588 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I often have color gamut set to 'wide' for SDR to get the extra vividness without actually choosing the 'vivid' color mode
ma1746 likes this.
post #12589 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Yes, I know now because I read the other posts after the reply

To add to @Wjboshart 's reply - "no" .

Tyler from Spectracal pointed out that the LUT is calculated and designed for the defaults for Contrast=85 and Brightness=50. If you change those two settings, your calibration will be wrong. Not "destroyed", but definitely wrong. It'll also be an invalid LUT if the calibration wasn't done with those two values. Those two values effectively put the TV in "bypass mode", so that the custom-loaded LUT will be correct and also take over the role of the "thing that dictates the black level and peak white" etc.

You can adjust everything else that isn't greyed out as much as you like. Most of them will not affect the calibration but two more controls that I would not touch at all are "Colour" and "tint" for obvious reasons :-)

Mrtickleuk, as USUAL, more help from you! Appreciate it. There are some sources that I use regularly that show some over brightness and it really annoys me. I kept the settings exactly as it was left by the calibrator. Now I will slightly try to adjust it!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12590 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
<slap!>

Do keep us updated and hang around when it arrives, of course
Will do!
post #12591 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by saronian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos75 View Post
Purchasing a C8 and setting it up and I have a question in regards to setting up my BD player. For the best PQ should I set the player (Sony X700) up to upscale or let the TV do it?
After a few months experience with a 55C8 + X700 I've noticed image quality that is highly synergistic with UHD Blu-ray. I have the 4K Upscale Setting set to Auto2, which automatically outputs 4K (2160P). While one could change it to Auto1 for HD Blu-ray (1080P) sources, therefore letting the C8 process the upscaling, I haven't seen anything in the image quality which compels me to bother.

LG's upscaling of my broadcast (antenna) feeds as well as streaming 1950's-60's B&W television shows is very satisfying. Striking an excellent balance for both high and low quality content.

Fell free to purchase some UHD Blu-ray HDR discs and be amazed at how good both film and digital movies can look.
OH don't worry about that lol, I own about 300 UHD BDs lmao
post #12592 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone know if the sky10 lg soundbar will get in the viewing area of the bottom of the c8 if I set the soundbar directly in front lf the c8? Seems to be the only way I would hear the top firing speakers.
post #12593 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I watch everything in game mode
Not sure if you're kidding, but I do as well and love it in game mode. Cable, movies, and gaming, and after tweaking a few settings here and there in each mode couldn't be happier with using the game mode setting.
post #12594 of 22253 Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
Not sure if you're kidding, but I do as well and love it in game mode. Cable, movies, and gaming, and after tweaking a few settings here and there in each mode couldn't be happier with using the game mode setting.

Yes, he is kidding. There are definitely certain modes that one should use for a given source but it you're happy with what you use then that's the correct mode for you.
calfcramp likes this.

post #12595 of 22253 Old 02-23-2019, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, he is kidding. There are definitely certain modes that one should use for a given source but it you're happy with what you use then that's the correct mode for you.

What's funny is that I worked at a broadcasting station and attention to video detail was my number one priority. Blacks being black, whites being white, and colors as bang on as possible. So once I finally decided on OLED for home viewing, I went through all the different picture modes and settings while switching from cable to movies to gaming. I know and I realize it sounds crazy, but using game picture mode with tweaked settings for each mode gave me the most accurate settings on my 55" C8. Maybe I simply drink too much wine...............but yes, I'm definitely happy with my C8 and its overall performance.
post #12596 of 22253 Old 02-23-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question on my soon to arrive 65" C8. Currently my Yamaha receiver does not support 4K so I will be connecting my Vero 4k+ media player to the TV directly via HDMI and use ARC out of the TV back to the Yamaha. I understand the TV only outputs the lossy DD+ format but will it decode that off of a TrueHD or DTS-MA file from my Blu ray UHD file? I ask because my UHD blu ray rips only have the lossless audio file, I normally only rip it that way to save space.

I am not sure if the lossless audio tracks always contain the lossy version to?

Thanks.
post #12597 of 22253 Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
New C8 owner here coming from a Panny plasma that experienced the dreaded 7 blinking lights of death. Happy camper.

One quirk that may just be something I have to live with. I have the LG connected to a Marantz SR7012 and have enabled the HDMI-CEC function. For some reason the BACK button on the LG remote switches the input on the Marantz. This is really a pain as I've become accustomed to using the DirecTV remote to control audio volume and other functions of the Marantz. Other actions of the LG remote also seem to switch inputs on the Marantz but the BACK button was the one I've noticed consistently.

Anyone else experience this issue, and is there a workaround or solution that I'm missing? Or is this just an unfortunate HDMI-CEC "feature"?

Thx!
jmhilden likes this.

HT: Oppo 205, Oppo 93 (all region), DirecTV > Marantz SR7012/SimAudio MOON 340i (FL/FR) > B&W CM10S2, B&W Centre 2 S2, B&W 683 (surround), B&W ASW 610 sub; LG C8 OLED 55" monitor
2CH: Oppo 205, Rega RP3/Hana EH> Rega PSU-2 > SimAudio MOON Neo 310LP > SimAudio MOON 340i > B&W CM10S2
post #12598 of 22253 Old 02-23-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quick question on my soon to arrive 65" C8. Currently my Yamaha receiver does not support 4K so I will be connecting my Vero 4k+ media player to the TV directly via HDMI and use ARC out of the TV back to the Yamaha.
If you connected your 4k Blu-Ray player which has two outputs, 1 to the TV and 1 to your AVR, then you would be able to get the full lossless soundtracks, and also get the HDR from the video as it's going directly to the TV.

Quote:
I understand the TV only outputs the lossy DD+ format but will it decode that off of a TrueHD or DTS-MA file from my Blu ray UHD file? I ask because my UHD blu ray rips only have the lossless audio file, I normally only rip it that way to save space.
I am not sure if the lossless audio tracks always contain the lossy version to?
It depends what is in the track.
  • For Dolby audio, the Dolby Digital lossy alternative track is separate to the Dolby TrueHD lossless track. You will have to either go back and re-rip, or (better) just play the disc as above.
  • For DTS, the DTS lossy "inner core" is part of the same track as the lossless "differences data" part. Both are used to create the lossless audio, and they are not separate. I've never tried sending a DTS-HD lossless track to the TV to see if it can extract the lossy "inner core", though. You'll have to tell us what happens

post #12599 of 22253 Old 02-23-2019, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
What's funny is that I worked at a broadcasting station and attention to video detail was my number one priority. Blacks being black, whites being white, and colors as bang on as possible. So once I finally decided on OLED for home viewing, I went through all the different picture modes and settings while switching from cable to movies to gaming. I know and I realize it sounds crazy, but using game picture mode with tweaked settings for each mode gave me the most accurate settings on my 55" C8. Maybe I simply drink too much wine...............but yes, I'm definitely happy with my C8 and its overall performance.
Jobs like ours require more wine. And it's always 5 somewhere and that's when we switch to shots but you know what about the rest of the day?

Wine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #12600 of 22253 Old 02-23-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you connected your 4k Blu-Ray player which has two outputs, 1 to the TV and 1 to your AVR, then you would be able to get the full lossless soundtracks, and also get the HDR from the video as it's going directly to the TV.

It depends what is in the track.
  • For Dolby audio, the Dolby Digital lossy alternative track is separate to the Dolby TrueHD lossless track. You will have to either go back and re-rip, or (better) just play the disc as above.
  • For DTS, the DTS lossy "inner core" is part of the same track as the lossless "differences data" part. Both are used to create the lossless audio, and they are not separate. I've never tried sending a DTS-HD lossless track to the TV to see if it can extract the lossy "inner core", though. You'll have to tell us what happens
Thank you once again! You are a LG tv jedi guru
I don’t have a disc player, my 4K movies are ripped to a server and played across my network on Kodi via Vero 4K+ box. I’ll plan to rip my UHDs with both lossless and lossy tracks until I upgrade my Yamaha to a 4K compatible model. This way the tv can send the lossy track back down to the tv via HDMI ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page