2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 423 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80741Likes

post #12661 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I looked at the specs online, and from what I read, the CX-A5000 will do pass-through of 4k and will also upscale. In any event, if you have a 4k Directv receiver (I have one with my C8), you will just route the 4k signal from your Directv receiver via HDMI into your Yamaha and then via HDMI to your C8's HDMI input. You should have no problems, as long as your HDMI cables can handle 4k. You can get some "certified premium" HDMI cables that can handle 4k from monoprice.com and other places. They are pretty cheap, i.e., you don't need expensive cables. Just make sure they are "certified premium."

And if you set your Yamaha to "pass through," then the C8 will do the upscaling when your Directv receiver is sending the TV a 1080i signal. Just make sure to set the resolution in the Directv receiver to "native." That is, you want the "native" setting to be "on." In other words, for 1080i or 720p SDR, you want the Directv receiver to send the signal in 1080i or 720p to the Yamaha, for the Yamaha to pass it through, and for the C8 to then upscale it.
Interesting! I had read and heard differently. When you look at the specs on the year later models, they specifically indicate support for HDR and DV. Others have stated the device in question (Yamaha in this instance) must support the formats such as HDR and DV in order to allow the passthrough onto the TV. So i guess I am confused on what will happen. I may need to investigate this further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12662 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
Thanks! I believe the Yamaha will not pass HDR or Dolby vision though correct? Does directv use either? Yes, I already grabbed some new certified hdmi cables from amazon/monoprice
I’ll make the resolution adjustment to native on as you mentioned.

I have a Yamaha A-780 set to pass thru native video as received (UHD, DV, HDR10, HLG) and just just let the C8 do the upscaling. Streaming device is the ATV4k and the blu-ray player is the LG UBK90. Premium High Speed HDMI cables (BJC), 10' length. No issues at all with any video source. Cable television is Comcast local stations only and the Comcrap STB is connected directly to the C8 because of Deep Color issues with the legacy (1080 only) STB. Audio out for tv is optical. ARC/CEC is disabled on all devices (don't need it), with the exception of the UBK90 because you can't disable CEC on it. Harmony remote controls the entire HTS.
gymnos likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12663 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
Awesome sauce. Just placed my order. Thanks. Now lets play the Panel lottery!
Best of luck on the panel lottery! :-)
stegen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12664 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I have a Yamaha A-780 set to pass thru native video as received (UHD, DV, HDR10, HLG) and just just let the C8 do the upscaling. Streaming device is the ATV4k and the blu-ray player is the LG UBK90. Premium High Speed HDMI cables (BJC), 10' length. No issues at all with any video source. Cable television is Comcast local stations only and the Comcrap STB is connected directly to the C8 because of Deep Color issues with the legacy (1080 only) STB. Audio out for tv is optical. ARC/CEC is disabled on all devices (don't need it), with the exception of the UBK90 because you can't disable CEC on it. Harmony remote controls the entire HTS.
The difference being your receiver states this in the specs:

4K Ultra HD, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020

Mine states this only:

4K Ultra HD Pass-through and Upscaling
and from Crutchfield spec page........
4K video pass-through and upscaling
This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/wh...-hdcp-2-2.html

Last edited by merrymaid520; 02-25-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #12665 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
The Apple TV is a very easy streamer to use and gets alot of support from the technical side of things. I chose it for my family because I always got flack about having to change remotes just when they figured one out. I change my display's out a little more often then the average owner. The idea of one main streamer with movies stored that we have purchased and having it go through one account was attractive. There are other streamers out there, but we are a Apple Household and it works nicely with the other equipment. A independent streamer for our Displays has worked out nicely and the Wife like the remote.
I don't think that if you lined up all independent streamers you would satisfy all the members needs. So just find one you like, that works for you, and move it from Display to Display as things change.
The only problem with that at my house: once they got a taste of the magic remote and its pointer, there was no going back to the old multi-remote! The previous streaming device is gathering dust. We use the built in apps exclusively and we all love the WebOS. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12666 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Sorry but I don't agree with that at all.

I've read every post in this thread and I've never seen anything like a consensus that there is a better picture. I know that some people prefer an external device, and if pushed I could accept there might be more functionality (but the Netflix app is the Netflix app is the Netflix app, where ever it is running, so I'm not sure what exactly) - but a better picture? No!
I wasn't talking about this thread specifically but what I thought I had read on some other threads here, such as in the ATV4k thread. And I've read similar things outside of this forum -- or at least I thought I did. I also know that using the ATV4k absolutely provides a more seamless and faster and less quirky experience in my environment than the internal apps in my TV and Blu-ray players. But perhaps I have translated better functionality and a better streaming experience in my own mind to a better picture. Or perhaps I misinterpreted some comments in the ATV4k thread.

In any event, please don't say that what I said came out of nowhere. If it came out of anywhere, it came out of my butt.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12667 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The difference being your receiver states this in the specs:

4K Ultra HD, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020

Mine states this only:

4K Ultra HD Pass-through and Upscaling
and from Crutchfield spec page........
4K video pass-through and upscaling
This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/wh...-hdcp-2-2.html
Yep. That's why when I purchased the 65 C8 I decided to build out the upstairs HTS (I have an LG LCD HTS downstairs) and purchase all new complementary components so I could get the maximum benefit out of my system without issues or compromises. It took about 5 months to budget and plan for it.

post #12668 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Quick question on my soon to arrive 65" C8. Currently my Yamaha receiver does not support 4K so I will be connecting my Vero 4k+ media player to the TV directly via HDMI and use ARC out of the TV back to the Yamaha. I understand the TV only outputs the lossy DD+ format but will it decode that off of a TrueHD or DTS-MA file from my Blu ray UHD file? I ask because my UHD blu ray rips only have the lossless audio file, I normally only rip it that way to save space.

I am not sure if the lossless audio tracks always contain the lossy version to?

Thanks.
The C8 converts TrueHD on incoming HDMI signals to DD+ and retains atmos. It does not do this for files played back from files by the video player on the TV. It does not do it for DTS-MA either. If you have ripped files and want to play them using an app on the TV, that app is responsible for converting the audio itself, or you have to make sure the files are already using DD+, DD or DTS (not MA).
gymnos likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #12669 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfighter View Post
No one yell at me this time, because I am not an xbox cohort.

(Every time I start talking about anything other than an Apple 4k tv, which does not play UHD discs I get crucified... only this thread too. Everywhere else they agree with me... just context)

If you want a super no frills player I will tell you now to follow someone elses recommendation.

First thing though. Samsung, which you may find lower priced than others is because they decided to stop making players, so I assume an overpriced streaming only device or a just cast it from your Samsung s10 to your Samsung tv while keeping it from not losing its charge on a Samsung wireless charging station (i own one Samsung tv and 3 Samsung phones... I'm refreshing this year.. and I went lg for the tv because it is awesome..
we will see about the phones.) You have to think about how much support time you will get from Samsung
They discontinue, that support will disappear fast.

Sanyo has an 80 dollar player but again. For a straight player follow someone else's advice because
.. Sanyo? I dont usually have brand bias but it is half the price or more of... everything (generally speaking). I didnt know they were still in business.

It looks after a quick google there are a few that hover around 100, most are 100-200, and Sony has a 300 dollar one out there. 300...why?

If you want no frills for real someone will give you a recommendation at a lower range.

But for me, let's say it together other members of this thread...
Xbox One S.

It can play 4k discs hdr, dolby vision, dts, dolby (including atmos), or even uncompressed pcm up to 7.1 if your receiver can handle it, it has all apps too like Vudu, movies anywhere, Netflix, prime video, [name you app here]... apple music isnt there but they even have deezer and spotify although MS has their own music service, oh and they rent and sell movies and the apps tend to be the most updated compared to other platforms. It does music streaming or your old CDs! It has a lot of games because it's an xbox. If you are a casual gamer, it runs the games well at HD res, but then UPSCALES to 4k. (And if you are a real gamer just get an xbox one x and get native 4k and x one x enhancements). But Blu-ray and any other video 4k content is fully native. No issues..at all

And its $200 usually on sale for.less and usually comes with a game or two

The other added benefit is that Mocrosoft wont be dropping updates and support for the Xbox S OR X for a very very long time. I cant stress enough

. A long time

So if you want no frills that's cool buy for a relative same price (give or take 60 bucks). BUT MS updates not forever but sort of forever compared to other very specific hardware (say other forms of HDR gain traction... you will get an update from MS instead of worrying if you will never get that new HDR type support or if there is something weird with your standalone player praying that a firmware update will ever arrive.)

So if you want no frills I defer to other suggestions. There is just so much value packed in... I just cant see paying for JUST a player in that relative price range even if that's what you are looking for.

But that's for you to decide.

This is where everyone yells at me
Well so far, the Xbox One doesn't do DV blurays. Also netflix outputs EVERYTHING in DV, whether it should be or not. The netflix app is totally useless as a result. Why it does this I can't figure out. Seems netflix says Microsoft wants it this way and Microsoft says netflix implemented it wrong. Who knows. Other streaming apps don't seem to have a problem switching HDR on and off as required. And netflix seems to have the same mistake on the PS4 from what I have read, so it seems to be incompetence on the part of netflix's console app developers.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #12670 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep. That's why when I purchased the 65 C8 I decided to build out the upstairs HTS (I have an LG LCD HTS downstairs) and purchase all new complementary components so I could get the maximum benefit out of my system without issues or compromises. It took about 5 months to budget and plan for it.
That's what I thought, I guess another upgrade is in my future
post #12671 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
The C8 converts TrueHD on incoming HDMI signals to DD+ and retains atmos. It does not do this for files played back from files by the video player on the TV. It does not do it for DTS-MA either. If you have ripped files and want to play them using an app on the TV, that app is responsible for converting the audio itself, or you have to make sure the files are already using DD+, DD or DTS (not MA).
Thanks for the info. With the DTS-MA material, I thought those always carry a core lossy track that the C8 can then process, no?
post #12672 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. With the DTS-MA material, I thought those always carry a core lossy track that the C8 can then process, no?
I am not sure if it extract the DTS core automatically when playing video files, although in theory it should be easy to do. Certainly no DTS:X support in that case.

Len Sorensen

post #12673 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
I am not sure if it extract the DTS core automatically when playing video files, although in theory it should be easy to do. Certainly no DTS:X support in that case.
Sounds like a little trial and error is in order . I also will continue to rip my UHDs and include the lossy track in addition to the Lossless ones, that way I should be covered right!
post #12674 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Great news is there are more winners then losers.....
Good to hear. I ordered through Amazon cuz they had a fantastic offer so I will buy return till I get a good one.
post #12675 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Good to hear. I ordered through Amazon cuz they had a fantastic offer so I will buy return till I get a good one.

Unless the dealer that Amazon is using sells you a refurbed/returned unit because the original owner didn't like the panel.

post #12676 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Unless the dealer that Amazon is using sells you a refurbed/returned unit because the original owner didn't like the panel.
Its sold and shipped by amazon so I would assume it should be brand new, unopened. Its not from Amazon warehouse either
post #12677 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Its sold and shipped by amazon so I would assume it should be brand new, unopened. Its not from Amazon warehouse either
Good luck. I hope you win the lottery. I did, and I purchased locally .

post #12678 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
That's what I thought, I guess another upgrade is in my future
Sorry if I led you astray. I read that the receiver does 4k ultra hd pass through and that it "supports the latest super high resolution video formats" and assumed that they were referring to HDR, etc. Well, the good news is that an upgrade shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg since most of the receivers nowadays will give you what you need.
post #12679 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Sorry if I led you astray. I read that the receiver does 4k ultra hd pass through and that it "supports the latest super high resolution video formats" and assumed that they were referring to HDR, etc. Well, the good news is that an upgrade shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg since most of the receivers nowadays will give you what you need.
No worries at all! Its sort of misleading when Yamaha states "4k passthrough supported" which I guess technically is correct although just about all 4k material is copyrighted using HDCP 2.2 which it is NOT compatible with. The newer 5100 from yamaha added Dolby Vision (FW updated) and supports HDR etc, thats the one I will grab at some point
post #12680 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
"no" . As you found out later, it did not arrive. There was speculation on that website that they would add dolby vision support for 4K bluray discs, alongside the existing dolby vision support for Netflix, but it did not happen.

What you needed to find is the press release from last fall/autumn saying that it had happened, not speculation from last summer saying that it will happen

Despite what starrfighter claims over and over in those very long posts - a bit embarrassing because it's so easy to check by playing a 4K bluray disc which has dolby vision on it - there is no support for dolby vision for 4K bluray discs.

@starrfighter we are all wrong from time to time, I had a run of wrongness here at the end of January, you'll also find my apology posts after them. But please, all you had to do was check for yourself first, with an actual dolby vision disc in this case, before writing very long posts and telling people who were correct to "google harder". I'm sure you didn't mean to come across as rude .

Ok. I hope that it will be added in the future. Its absence is a complete disgrace. But so far, MS has refused to even say "it will come".
I am an alpha ring xbox tester. But it's worked for a couple months already.

I am sorry if I misled anyone. DV works for me.

Maybe... isnt Dolby Vision meant to be used at 12 bits? Or at least 10? I have noticed when running though certain sound systems FIRST the sound system cant even pass more than 8bits even if they claim HDR compatible, a lot arent... really.

If a sound system says it can do DV it does, whether passthrough or split to the TV or just direct to the c8. Since I got the c8 a couple months ago... I havent had an issue. Again I am in the xbox alpha ring, and... I know the option has been there for longer but it works.... for me. They should have pushed it out unless they are waiting to tout it as a feature on a milestone public release? If so... lame.

I should mention that a year ago everyone was freaking out about Blu-ray disc player prices UHD and everyone was like getting Xbox it has the best player than the standalone players for context... it just doesn't even make sense on a streaming app and not the disc but again I'm always a month or two ahead of everyone else so again if I misinformed anyone and I'm going to go read the article now but if it isn't there it's going to be

I'm actually really surprised it's not there based on Plenty of posts here.

Last edited by starrfighter; 02-25-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #12681 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
So it is generally recommended to get the C8 professionally calibrated for dim room movie watching? If not, what is the best out-of-the-box picture mode for movies?
I have a relatively bright living room (at least my better half likes it this way) and I followed the rtings video (
). They calibrate for ISF Dark Room and have some suggestions for tweaking the default. I applied some of these suggestions to the ISF Expert Bright Room mode, and I varied very slightly from default values to good results. This is a placeholder until I get the panel calibrated by Lion AV next month. . . my calibrator recommended Standard for HDR content. I haven't viewed a lot of HDR, but have left it at the ISF Bright Room and it's looked very nice. Will do some comparisons in the coming days. . .

ISF Bright Room Mode for SDR content
OLED Light 76
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Sharpness 15
Color50
Tint 0

Expert
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Res off
Color Gamut auto
Color Filter off
Gamma 2.2
White Balance and Color Mgmt default values (Warm 2)

Picture Mode Settings
NR off
MPEG NR off
Black level low
Real Cinema on (not much difference off)
Motion Eye Care off
TruMotion
De-Judder 5
De-Blur 2
Motion Pro off

Energy Saving off
Eye Comfort off
HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color on

Screen Shift on
Logo Luminance High
DMRSX likes this.

HT: Oppo 205, Oppo 93 (all region), DirecTV > Marantz SR7012/SimAudio MOON 340i (FL/FR) > B&W CM10S2, B&W Centre 2 S2, B&W 683 (surround), B&W ASW 610 sub; LG C8 OLED 55" monitor
2CH: Oppo 205, Rega RP3/Hana EH> Rega PSU-2 > SimAudio MOON Neo 310LP > SimAudio MOON 340i > B&W CM10S2
post #12682 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM

After reading the article and the reddit it seems as though I am correct.

If your Xbox One S/X doesnt support DV on UHD Blu-ray. It will. Soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

post #12683 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:

It might already. Again DV is 12-bit so if you run first to a receiver for the best sound, it may be incapable of passing 12-bits, which you have to set yourself on the video settings screen. Try going right to the TV with 12-bit and DV checked, you just might find the support is actually there

But then you have a problem: Atmos isnt going to your soundbar via ARC. If you can grab a Nakamichi 7.1 DTX Pro, 7.2 Elite, or 9.2 Ultra 2018 editions, they are on MAJOR discount. The firmware is SUPER DTS centric, but the 2019 versions of these same systems are the same hardware with a firmware update to pass DV, Process Atmos and literally every source... I mean it can do 7.1 PCM uncompressed... and it has a ton of processing options. The 2019 version will be HUNDREDS of dollars more than the very discounted 2018 versions... BUT since it's exactly the same hardware as 2018, so they are giving the new firmware to all 2018 hardware. The page even says.... there will be no difference between 2018 and 2019 after the firmware upgrade... just HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS.

The 9.2 firmware is already out and 7.2 and 7.1 within weeks. 2019 isnt out but there are 2018 versions at a rediculously reduced price here and threre. It will play anything you want however you want.

I suggest plugging directly into the LG, setting your output to 12 bit and enable DV and see what happens.... the update might not have been rolled out to the xbox public ring, or it may have and possibly you missed a setting or your reciever cant do it.

I dont have all sorts of equipment to test with so I cant say for sure.

calfcramp likes this.

post #12684 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:

What Reddit are you talking about? I'm an alpha skip ahead insider and we have not heard about DV disc compatibility

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
mrtickleuk likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #12685 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
What Reddit are you talking about? I'm an alpha skip ahead insider and we have not heard about DV disc compatibility

There is a link above. Also I just found this:

Current list of TVs that support Dolby Vision with Xbox is available at https://www.dolby.com/us/en/categori...compatible.pdf

C8 E8 is there.

post #12686 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 12:43 PM

I mean I'm reading stuff now... it works for me... also maybe enable 4:2:2?

post #12687 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
I mean I'm reading stuff now... it works for me... also maybe enable 4:2:2?

Unfortunately what you are read and interpreting is not for Dolby Vision on disc.

Xbox CANNOT do Dolby vision on disc and it only works for the Netflix app.

Please stop giving false information & this is not the right forum for Xbox Dolby vision talk. There is a forum for that.

I don't understand how you are reading the articles and getting Dolby vision on disc out of it. It is strictly for Netflix streaming.

There was a comment by someone early on when DV came out for Xbox & they said it was coming to disc but Microsoft immediately responded and said it's not true

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #12688 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4863 Post(s)
Liked: 7155
Quote:
I am an alpha ring xbox tester. But it's worked for a couple months already.

I am sorry if I misled anyone. DV works for me.
Ok. One more time. I do not believe it works for you: this is ONLY about 4k Blu-ray disc playback. You are now saying that you can put a dolby vision 4k Blu-ray disc into your Xbox One X and get dolby vision from the disc? Not from memory: you have actually done it today? Because if so, you're the only person in the world whose Xbox One X can do that from a 4k Blu-ray disc. None of the other "alpha ring" testers can do it either. This is nothing against you, it is clarifying what the actual case is for anyone thinking of buying one.
RBO and calfcramp like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12689 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 330
^^^ BTW, how many 4k discs are there that have DV incorporated? I know I am going to catch hell for not knowing the list but I thought they were a rare breed.

Never mind, I just found a good list of movies!
calfcramp and Jrocker23 like this.

Last edited by tanman; 02-25-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #12690 of 21654 Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Ok. One more time. I do not believe it works for you: this is ONLY about 4k Blu-ray disc playback. You are now saying that you can put a dolby vision 4k Blu-ray disc into your Xbox One X and get dolby vision from the disc? Not from memory: you have actually done it today? Because if so, you're the only person in the world whose Xbox One X can do that from a 4k Blu-ray disc. None of the other "alpha ring" testers can do it either. This is nothing against you, it is clarifying what the actual case is for anyone thinking of buying one.

Excellent point. I am at this moment wondering whether buying an XBox X to go with my 65" C8 for the bedroom would make sense. And I think she is making the decision much more difficult.

The obvious problem with the ongoing discussion regarding XBoxes is the usual symantical conflation of differing nomenclatures under one moniker. There are three Microsoft products that are being addressed, each with its own name, that at crucial points of the discussion all are being referred to as THE XBox. But the XBox is not the same as the XBox S and both of those products are not the same as the XBox X. The last referenced Reddit post makes that very mistake and even goes so far as to caution the reader to be sure their Television firmware must be up to date without mentioning the same regarding the XBox models. That's rather illustrative of the typical hubris that a Microsoft supporter would make.

I am also wondering if the Netflix app in all devices are indeed identical to the app supplied with the C8. I really dislike the NF app in the C8 because of its inability to do a reverse or forward scroll of a program. It can only do a reverse or forward jump between the NF program's internal scene markings necessitating a reloading of the stream. That's a very annoying method to go back to re-listen or re-watch something missed only a second or two earlier thus forcing the viewer to go back several minutes or more instead. Is the NF app that way for the XBox models or the ATV4k as well?

edit: decided to comply with internet etiquette and include the obligatory emoji where appropriate.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 02-25-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page