2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 425 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80795Likes

post #12721 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Anyone else see this off of the LG web page?

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our LG C8*** 4K HDR Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ® series TVs. Regrettably, we currently do not have any information about if LG has any plans for a firmware upgrade that will provide support for VRR on our 2018 models. The HDMI® Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps. The new Ultra High-Speed HDMI Cables will support the 48Gbps bandwidth and ensure high-bandwidth dependent features are delivered including an uncompressed 8K video with HDR. The cables will feature exceptionally low EMI (electromagnetic interference) which reduces interference with nearby wireless devices. The cable is backward compatible and can be used with the existing installed base of HDMI devices. Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification and is available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters. All our 2019 OLED lineup that will feature HDMI 2.1 ports and selected premium LCD NanoCell TVs with ThinQ AI will support high frame rate (HFR), variable refresh rate (VRR) as well as automatic low latency mode (ALLM)..^IFV

LG OLED77"C8, OPPO UDP-203, Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP, TiVo Bolt VOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post
Anyone else see this off of the LG web page?

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our LG C8*** 4K HDR Smart OLED TV w/ AI ThinQ series TVs. Regrettably, we currently do not have any information about if LG has any plans for a firmware upgrade that will provide support for VRR on our 2018 models. The HDMI Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps. The new Ultra High-Speed HDMI Cables will support the 48Gbps bandwidth and ensure high-bandwidth dependent features are delivered including an uncompressed 8K video with HDR. The cables will feature exceptionally low EMI (electromagnetic interference) which reduces interference with nearby wireless devices. The cable is backward compatible and can be used with the existing installed base of HDMI devices. Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the Specification and is available to all HDMI 2.0 Adopters. All our 2019 OLED lineup that will feature HDMI 2.1 ports and selected premium LCD NanoCell TVs with ThinQ AI will support high frame rate (HFR), variable refresh rate (VRR) as well as automatic low latency mode (ALLM)..^IFV
Makes sense right now since the new models aren't out yet...

Maybe they will update later in the year if they can update the 2018 models.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
tanman likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #12723 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 12:30 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 358
edit: Sorry for the duplicate posting. I thought it hadn't taken the first time because apparently the refresh is very slow today.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 02-26-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12724 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We have an older ATV and occasionally my wife likes to watch a show she's only mildly interested in in fast forward but with closed caption on.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
post #12725 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 12:35 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolod View Post
I used the magic remote to highlight the progress bar and then I think the left/right allowed flipping through the thumbnails. Don't know if that's the only way to do it though.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

That's the only way it works for me. My Harmony universal remote won't work with the internal apps. Don't know if that's just me or not, though. Would the LG remote work like the Apple TV remote with voice commands on the internal NF app if I initiated Google Assistant or had an Amazon Echo Dot?

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 02-26-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #12726 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
That's the only way it works for me. My Harmony universal remote won't work with the internal apps. Don't know if that's just me or not, though. Would the LG remote work like the Apple TV remote with voice commands on the internal NF app if I initiated Google Assistant or had an Amazon Echo Dot?
That's the problem with those remotes they do not work everything
RBO likes this.
post #12727 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
My Harmony One works fine with the internal apps. I had to manually add a couple of custome buttons.
post #12728 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Oh my god. So I took down the 82" Samsung and hung the 65" oled, took and step back and it was jarring. I almost crapped myself because of the size difference. Kinda regretting going to the 65" now.
post #12729 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 04:23 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
My Harmony One works fine with the internal apps. I had to manually add a couple of custome buttons.

Please expand on how you programed your Harmony to control the apps, to jump say from watching the blu-ray player over to watching one of the internal apps. What button controls that jump and what custom buttons did you have to manually re-program?

Russ (another one)

post #12730 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
Oh my god. So I took down the 82" Samsung and hung the 65" oled, took and step back and it was jarring. I almost crapped myself because of the size difference. Kinda regretting going to the 65" now.
Ah yes, the quality vs quantity dillemma. If you can, sit closer.
post #12731 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 04:34 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I presume that was by choice, however. It must feel like developing tunnel vision, though.

I'm downsizing in two weeks from a four bedroom home to a one bedroom apartment because I no longer want to take care of a house on my own. But I think it will be like adjusting to a prison cell.

mrtickleuk likes this.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 02-26-2019 at 04:37 PM.
post #12732 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Yeah.... size is part of image quality for sure
post #12733 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
41% reduction in screen size is rough. To the guy going from a home to an Apt. Remember the jail cell comes with someone else handling the maintenance. So you get more time to enjoy your set up.
RBO likes this.
post #12734 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I'm interested in the question, though! You can't FF or RW through a Netflix stream, you can only skip forward or back in huge jumps?
Apple TV 4k and its remote do scroll both FF and RW, including in the Netflix app. The trick is to click first to pause, then scroll to the desired point, preview shows while scrolling, then click to play.
post #12735 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Please expand on how you programed your Harmony to control the apps, to jump say from watching the blu-ray player over to watching one of the internal apps. What button controls that jump and what custom buttons did you have to manually re-program?
Main button to create: a HOME button. It brings up the apps screen.
I basically cloned the my TV activity=use antenna which gives Harmony’s hard buttons control of the TV and changed the TV’s input to HOME. The custom button let’s you get back to allow you to change to a different app.

Last edited by rdgcss; 02-26-2019 at 06:24 PM.
post #12736 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
I've had mixed results with unpowered USB drives.

Have good results with a Lexar 128GB flash drive. IIRC, a WD My Passport Ultra didn't work.

The LG USB port is 2.0. I mainly use an old BlacX 2.0 with no problems. And the HDD stays cool.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like I may have to try an enclosure with a battery to give it enough juice if I want to re-purpose an old hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaStalin View Post
TLDR: Has anyone found a 2.5' Sata to USB 3.0 enclosure that can be powered off of the LG C8's USB port and play 4K remux files without playback stutter?

LG recommends that the external HDD be powered "with a rated voltage of 5V or less and a rated current of 500mA or less".

I have a couple of 2.5" SATA hard drives lying around - one is a solid state Sandisk 250GB and the other is an older 640GB with a disc in it. I've tried an enclosure by Sabrent (EC-UK3B) with both drives and it works with most files, but 4K remux stutters a lot. Maybe it's not the enclosure, but the power requirements of the drives I am using that is the problem. The files play fine when using a Western Digital MyBook, but that requires an external power supply.

Thanks for any recommendations or insights.
post #12737 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Quote:
Main button to create: a HOME button. It brings up the apps screen.
I basically cloned the my TV activity=use antenna which gives Harmony’s hard buttons control of the TV and changed the TV’s input to HOME. The custom button let’s you get back to allow you to change to a different app.
I have the Harmony Companion with LGs sound bar & 4k Blu-ray player added as devices. I also have a FireTV but did not add it as a device. I programmed only 1 activity button (watch TV) with TV & Sound bar. Reprogrammed Menu to Home and Guide to Settings. Along with HDMI-CEC, allows me to control almost everything...still trying to figure out how to reprogram to screen remote (button under 9 on magic remote)...anyone have success adding a custom command???
post #12738 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 07:35 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

@rdgcss and @Kpyo012

I have the Harmony 700 remote. I just got it figured out with clues from both of you. Thank you both.

I set up the new activity as Watch TV 2 and for the LG TV input I selected Smart TV. That then provides a Home button in the Harmony remote lcd screen that brings up the smart apps. Other button commands that mimic the LG remote commands are in the lcd screen as well. Navigating the smart apps and NF and AP programs has to be done with the arrow buttons on the Harmony remote. But I now can use the Harmony FF and RW buttons for much easier and way faster scrolling through the stream.

Thanks again for the clues to figure this out.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 02-26-2019 at 07:57 PM.
post #12739 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
@rdgcss and @Kpyo012

I have the Harmony 700 remote. I just got it figured out with clues from both of you. Thank you both.

I set up the new activity as Watch TV 2 and for the LG TV input I selected Smart TV. That then provides a Home button in the Harmony remote lcd screen that brings up the smart apps. Other button commands that mimic the LG remote commands are in the lcd screen as well. Navigating the smart apps and NF and AP programs has to be done with the arrow buttons on the Harmony remote. But I now can use the Harmony FF and RW buttons for much easier and way faster scrolling through the stream.

Thanks again for the clues to figure this out.

Can't you just go to Devices for the LG and use the options that are listed on the LCD screens specific to the Device (LG tv)? I also use the Harmony 700 for my two HTSs. I rarely need to dig into the LG menu but if I do, I just go to Devices, select the Device I want to use, and scroll thru the options.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12740 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Just watched Overlord on the C8, what a visual difference compared to the nu8000. Now I am wondering what LED is near comparable to the c8 so I can go bigger in size. Any takers?
post #12741 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Just watched Overlord on the C8, what a visual difference compared to the nu8000. Now I am wondering what LED is near comparable to the c8 so I can go bigger in size. Any takers?
There are no LEDs that compare favorably to an OLED
post #12742 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 10:44 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Can't you just go to Devices for the LG and use the options that are listed on the LCD screens specific to the Device (LG tv)? I also use the Harmony 700 for my two HTSs. I rarely need to dig into the LG menu but if I do, I just go to Devices, select the Device I want to use, and scroll thru the options.

Well, so that works too. Good on you!

BUT...going back and forth between internal apps to other special activities is not convenient. Switching from special activities to one device turns the entire Harmony remote into that single devices' slave. To go back you have to power off everything and then power on again with that button for the special activity to allow the remote to control several devices simultaneously. Much more convenient all around to access the Smart TV apps as a special activity of its own so I can still control audio volume through the AVR with the Harmony and jump between internal apps as well or leave them for other special activities as I please with a single press of another special activity button on the Harmony remote.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 02-26-2019 at 10:57 PM.
post #12743 of 21715 Old 02-26-2019, 10:47 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You could still get a 77" C8. Put the 65" in the bedroom.
mildclubsauce and lsorensen like this.

Russ (another one)

post #12744 of 21715 Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Posts removed. No price talk.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #12745 of 21715 Old 02-27-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Posts removed. No price talk.

Here's a link to the Price Talk thread; it's a bit difficult to find:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...-w-series.html

For years, I thought the policy of "No Price Talk" was applicable to all the AVS threads, I thought it was because of the site's sponsors.
Maybe the link should be added to this thread's first post?
post #12746 of 21715 Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You could still get a 77" C8. Put the 65" in the bedroom.
Nah, I have a Samsung 64pn8500 for the bedroom. Id return the C8. So even a Q9 or 900f isnt comparable?

Last edited by stegen; 02-27-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #12747 of 21715 Old 02-27-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 115
a friend is asking about a table top stand. He wants to use the two separate bar type that has no base. Anyone tried any of them. He is getting a 65C8 delivered Friday.

Universal TV Stand Base for 39-65”, Drsn TV Stand Legs Pedestal Feet Wall Mount 3-in-1

similar to this..can hold 110 lbs

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drsn-TV-Sta...-/254124240885
post #12748 of 21715 Old 02-27-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Rtings did give the Vizio PQ65 a very good review, especially in regards to the black levels. But... As an owner of the PQ65, I'd say that it doesn't come close to OLED blacks, especially due to the fact that the FALD algorithms are not great. There is a lot of bloom in dark scenes.

Needless to say, the PQ65 is headed back to the store once my C8 arrives.
mildclubsauce and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12749 of 21715 Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Well, so that works too. Good on you!

BUT...going back and forth between internal apps to other special activities is not convenient. Switching from special activities to one device turns the entire Harmony remote into that single devices' slave. To go back you have to power off everything and then power on again with that button for the special activity to allow the remote to control several devices simultaneously. Much more convenient all around to access the Smart TV apps as a special activity of its own so I can still control audio volume through the AVR with the Harmony and jump between internal apps as well or leave them for other special activities as I please with a single press of another special activity button on the Harmony remote.
I'm not sure if that's true. For example, I typically power on my HTS using the TV Activity. That turns on the tv, cable box, and receiver. If I decide I want to stream something from the ATV4k, I just select the ATV4k Activity. The cable box turns off but the receiver and tv stay on. If I need to do something specifically on the ATV4k, I just select the ATV4k Menu option and I can do whatever I need to do. If there is something more specific I need to do I can always select Device -> ATV4k and use the options available to me. Going back to TV I select the TV Activity and the cable box turns on and I'm back to television. Selecting Device -> LG gets me all the options specific to the LG. There is a very short delay going back and forth between devices but that's due to handshaking. The same is true if I choose the LG UBK90 blu-ray player. With the exception of the ATV4k (which shuts off automatically after the specified time), you can't have all of your devices on at the same time. As I said, I don't bother with the SmartApps so maybe it's a bit different jumping between apps but I don't see why it would be. Controlling audio volume thru any of my devices is as simple as pressing Volume Up or Down. I don't use ARC/CEC because I don't need nor want to so maybe CEC has something to do with that. The tv is connected directly to the receiver via optical for cable tv audio (5.1).
rdgcss likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12750 of 21715 Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Nah, I have a Samsung 64pn8500 for the bedroom. Id return the C8. So even a Q9 or 900f isnt comparable?
Well of course they are comparable. One looks amazing and the other not so much. Very comparable. It's really hard to compete with zero blooming, zero backlight bleed, infinite contract ratio, true blacks, extremely wide viewing angle, etc.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page