2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 426 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81121Likes

post #12751 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I have a harmony one doing some pretty crazy things. My setup shares all components through a matrix switch to both a 65C8 and a JVC projector. So I need discrete activities for those. Plus I programmed an Apps activity just for the LG apps and it works perfectly. I made one button the dedicated home button. The info button is even a choice, so you don't need t he app for it. I have a FiOS box, an Oppo 103D, a Panny 820, a Denon AVR, a HDMI Matrix switch, and an HDFURY integral. I probably have 8 different activities. It all works really well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12752 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'm not sure if that's true. I don't bother with the SmartApps so maybe it's a bit different jumping between apps but I don't see why it would be... I don't use ARC/CEC because I don't need nor want to so maybe CEC has something to do with that. The tv is connected directly to the receiver via optical for cable tv audio (5.1).

Perhaps so. But our setups are somewhat different. And I do use the internal apps which is why I use ARC. Doing so requires turning to the TV as the source of Video and Audio. Don't yet know if that makes the difference I've experienced or not unless I experiment with other options. Right now I finally have the C8 internal Netflix App doing what I've wanted it to thanks to the Harmony. From the comments of other users as well, it seems there are multiple solutions to getting the same result with the Harmony. Thanks for pointing out your suggestions.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #12753 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I'm not sure if that's true. For example, I typically power on my HTS using the TV Activity. That turns on the tv, cable box, and receiver. If I decide I want to stream something from the ATV4k, I just select the ATV4k Activity. The cable box turns off but the receiver and tv stay on. If I need to do something specifically on the ATV4k, I just select the ATV4k Menu option and I can do whatever I need to do. If there is something more specific I need to do I can always select Device -> ATV4k and use the options available to me. Going back to TV I select the TV Activity and the cable box turns on and I'm back to television. Selecting Device -> LG gets me all the options specific to the LG. There is a very short delay going back and forth between devices but that's due to handshaking. The same is true if I choose the LG UBK90 blu-ray player. With the exception of the ATV4k (which shuts off automatically after the specified time), you can't have all of your devices on at the same time. As I said, I don't bother with the SmartApps so maybe it's a bit different jumping between apps but I don't see why it would be. Controlling audio volume thru any of my devices is as simple as pressing Volume Up or Down. I don't use ARC/CEC because I don't need nor want to so maybe CEC has something to do with that. The tv is connected directly to the receiver via optical for cable tv audio (5.1).

Exactly! I use the Harmony and since you can decide during programming which devices should be on at the same time for each activity, it just takes me the push of a button to change activities or apps! To go from watching Netflix to watching cable I just exit Netflix and press the Harmony cable tv button.
rdgcss likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12754 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 11:59 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ @Otto Pylot and @joyceS

Doh! I was blind but now I see... So, after further experimentation, which required only turning on my Watch TV activity to power the LG C8, the DVR and the AVR, then simply doing what you both said to navigate more thoroughly through Netflix as well, I am now sufficiently chagrined to admit my Harmony ineptitude. The ability I sought was at my finger tips all along and I was too dense to realize the full joys that Harmony provides with a little more enlightenment than I possessed until your intervention. And now I feel empowered to wield the Harmony remote with a more self-assured command. Not only can I confidently assert my will undaunted over my entire HTS, I also now have a multitude of options I could only dream of before. I am not worthy, but I thank you for your generous guidance. I bow to your superior knowledge.

Russ (another one)

post #12755 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 7395
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well of course they are comparable. One looks amazing and the other not so much. Very comparable. It's really hard to compete with zero blooming, zero backlight bleed, infinite contract ratio, true blacks, extremely wide viewing angle, etc.
Indeed. They are comparable in the same way that you can compare a turd with a bar of chocolate.
RBO and calfcramp like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12756 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ In a blind taste test perhaps.

mildclubsauce and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 02-27-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #12757 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post

Doh! I was blind but now I see... So, after further experimentation, which required only turning on my Watch TV activity to power the LG C8, the DVR and the AVR, then simply doing what you both said to navigate more thoroughly through Netflix as well, I am now sufficiently chagrined to admit my Harmony ineptitude. The ability I sought was at my finger tips all along and I was too dense to realize the full joys that Harmony provides with a little more enlightenment than I possessed until your intervention. And now I feel empowered to wield the Harmony remote with a more self-assured command. Not only can I confidently assert my will undaunted over my entire HTS, I also now have a multitude of options I could only dream of before. I am not worthy, but I thank you for your generous guidance. I bow to your superior knowledge.
The list of activities that can be set up is numerous. For instance, the Harmony cannot control the Sony Playstation, but you CAN set up an activity called Gaming, have the devices of the LG and AVR tuned to the right input automatically turn on, so you just press a button on the playstation.

Last edited by joyceS; 02-27-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #12758 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:29 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Yes, I do that already. Thanks.

Russ (another one)

post #12759 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone else found the Amazon app to be extremely buggy recently? Since getting my C8 in December, I'd watched a few 4K/HDR things through Amazon (Hereditary, a few episodes of Homecoming) and not had any major issues. But the last week, I've watched a few more episodes of Homecoming and multiple times every episode the video will just freeze up while the audio continues. Rewinding a click or two then resuming fixes it, but it's *real* annoying. I don't think I've gotten any app updates recently that might account for it.
post #12760 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked: 2555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post

Don't be too hard on yourself . The idea of AVS is to help each other. It's far too easy at times to get locked into one train of thought and it takes another member to being a little clarity to the muddy waters.
mrtickleuk likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12761 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdude View Post
Has anyone else found the Amazon app to be extremely buggy recently? Since getting my C8 in December, I'd watched a few 4K/HDR things through Amazon (Hereditary, a few episodes of Homecoming) and not had any major issues. But the last week, I've watched a few more episodes of Homecoming and multiple times every episode the video will just freeze up while the audio continues. Rewinding a click or two then resuming fixes it, but it's *real* annoying. I don't think I've gotten any app updates recently that might account for it.
That happened on to me once. I thought it might have been related to the quick start plus so I disabled that. Hasn't happened again but it's only been about 10 days.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
post #12762 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolod View Post
That happened on to me once. I thought it might have been related to the quick start plus so I disabled that. Hasn't happened again but it's only been about 10 days.
Hm, yeah I see a few people have recommended that too. I'll have to give it a try.

I did also find this older comment of someone having the same problem, back in December. So it's not a recent issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezman View Post
I had this exact issue last night watching The Grand Tour Season 2 in UHD. I found that if you react quick enough, you may be able to just rewind a little and hit play again and it will continue past the freeze. Either way, very annoying and it needs to be fixed.
post #12763 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolod View Post

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Sometimes you have to reboot a PC to clear up a problem, same thing here. An app is a program. Quick start on most likely leaves the apps running in some type of background mode. With quick start off the TV takes a little longer to boot up because it has to reload & restart the apps, same as reboot on a PC.
post #12764 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Placed an order for the C8 65!!! The recent price drop was just too good to pass up.

Delivery date is Saturday. This will be my first 4K TV and I'm beyond excited. I have about 25 4K UHDs ready to play.

My current audio receiver is the Denon X2000 that has 4K passthrough. I'm really hoping I can get by with this receiver for now.

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
post #12765 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 7395
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
Placed an order for the C8 65!!! The recent price drop was just too good to pass up.

Delivery date is Saturday. This will be my first 4K TV and I'm beyond excited. I have about 25 4K UHDs ready to play.

My current audio receiver is the Denon X2000 that has 4K passthrough. I'm really hoping I can get by with this receiver for now.
Well done! I'm afraid your X2000 can't handle HDCP2.2 copy protection. You will have to pass the video output of your player directly to the TV.
hockeynut likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12766 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
Oh my god. So I took down the 82" Samsung and hung the 65" oled, took and step back and it was jarring. I almost crapped myself because of the size difference. Kinda regretting going to the 65" now.
Oh my gosh, I bet.......
post #12767 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2160 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post
Rtings did give the Vizio PQ65 a very good review, especially in regards to the black levels. But... As an owner of the PQ65, I'd say that it doesn't come close to OLED blacks, especially due to the fact that the FALD algorithms are not great. There is a lot of bloom in dark scenes.

Needless to say, the PQ65 is headed back to the store once my C8 arrives.
Interesting on the PQ. I have a 2016 P50 in the bedroom and I hardly notice blooming in content if I am not looking for it. That TV does have like 126 zones and only 50 inches, so it may have a lot to do with it.

I'll say that every time I go into the bedroom and continue watching something I was just in the middle of on the E8, I am surprised how much worse the LCD looks in terms of contrast, colors and just general sense of realism to the picture.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #12768 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Interesting on the PQ. I have a 2016 P50 in the bedroom and I hardly notice blooming in content if I am not looking for it. That TV does have like 126 zones and only 50 inches, so it may have a lot to do with it.
The PQ65 is capable of pushing over 2000 nits peak brightness in HDR/Dolby Vision content. I'm sure that has something to do with the blooming vs the plain P Series sets. Adjusting the Active Full Array (FALD) settings to Low vs Medium or High does alleviate the blooming but you sacrifice peak brightness which, kind of defeats the purpose of a super bright Full Array LED backlit TV... I suspect that there's just not enough dimming zones (192 in the 65") in the backlight to eliminate bloom in dark scenes or the algorithms that Vizio uses are just not good enough.
post #12769 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The PQ65 is capable of pushing over 2000 nits peak brightness in HDR/Dolby Vision content. I'm sure that has something to do with the blooming vs the plain P Series sets. Adjusting the Active Full Array (FALD) settings to Low vs Medium or High does alleviate the blooming but you sacrifice peak brightness which, kind of defeats the purpose of a super bright Full Array LED backlit TV... I suspect that there's just not enough dimming zones (192 in the 65") in the backlight to eliminate bloom in dark scenes or the algorithms that Vizio uses are just not good enough.
Yeah exactly. All those nits and poor backlight control = blooming mess, yuck, no thanks.
ganzhimself and mrtickleuk like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #12770 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well of course they are comparable. One looks amazing and the other not so much. Very comparable. It's really hard to compete with zero blooming, zero backlight bleed, infinite contract ratio, true blacks, extremely wide viewing angle, etc.
Indeed. They are comparable in the same way that you can compare a turd with a bar of chocolate.
I'm not super versed in these so cut me a break. All I have to go off is the advertisements essentially. I figured with the FALD on the upper end leds that the contrast had to be somewhat close to oled, guess not.
post #12771 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
I'm not super versed in these so cut me a break. All I have to go off is the advertisements essentially. I figured with the FALD on the upper end leds that the contrast had to be somewhat close to oled, guess not.
The better LCDs will look fine during the day, but a dim room will be a massive advantage to OLED. Once you get spoiled by OLED contrast, there's no going back.

post #12772 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The better LCDs will look fine during the day, but a dim room will be a massive advantage to OLED. Once you get spoiled by OLED contrast, there's no going back.
Exactly. Nearly all the blooming issues I've noticed with my Quantum LED are not noticeable during the day or when the living room is fully lit and very bright. In a dim room, blooming can be quite apparent. The contrast can be very good with FALD, but it's not OLED good.
post #12773 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post

Yeah, the price dip got me to pull the plug as well. Currently have a 75" SUHD and gonna try to ignore the size difference cause the blacks on the C8 have me hooked.

Wish I could get the 77" C8 but just can't get past the 3X+ price difference.

Going thru some of the features and so far I'm impressed. I've even found a way to play DV from DLNA. Also nice to have ATMOS over ARC.
hockeynut likes this.

My Gear:
Spoiler!
post #12774 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Quote:
Exactly. Nearly all the blooming issues I've noticed with my Quantum LED are not noticeable during the day or when the living room is fully lit and very bright. In a dim room, blooming can be quite apparent. The contrast can be very good with FALD, but it's not OLED good.
I own a few LCDs and a couple of Oleds, LCDs dont hold a candle to Oled in any measurable way that i care about, no matter what the lcd fanboys say. I am always amazed at how the C8 can make certain movies look 3D like or as if im looking through a mirror, I never get that feeling with LCDs. If your serious about this hobby and do some research Oled should always be at the top of your list for an outstanding viewing experience.

Last edited by Cam1977; 02-27-2019 at 07:59 PM.
post #12775 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
I own a few LCDs and a couple of Oleds, LCDs dont hold a candle to Oled in any measurable way that i care about, no matter what the lcd fanboys say. I am always amazed at how the C8 can make certain movies look 3D like or as if im looking through a mirror, I never get that feeling with LCDs. If your serious about this hobby and do some research Oled should always be at the top of your list for an outstanding viewing experience.
I agree, IMO, watching anything on an LCD just feels like watching a big computer monitor. I've been eying the OLEDs for years now, and it took being severely disappointed in another LCD for me to finally pull the trigger. To go up and spend as much or more for a Quantum LED as one would on an OLED seems silly at this point, especially with the recent price drop on the C8s.
post #12776 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Considering how astronomically expensive these were even at 55, these are a bargain with the BEST pq available at this time. Get ready to get used to a natural picture as opposed to an artificial one!
calfcramp likes this.
post #12777 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the dumbest question.

At some point, I must have figured out how to disable my "magic remote", where I can point at the screen and click things. Problem is, I want it back now.

....how do I get it back?
post #12778 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Considering how astronomically expensive these were even at 55, these are a bargain with the BEST pq available at this time. Get ready to get used to a natural picture as opposed to an artificial one!

Haha. Yeah paying 6K for an E6 was kind of nuts.
calfcramp, srkmish and Cam1977 like this.

post #12779 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignlee View Post
I have the dumbest question.

At some point, I must have figured out how to disable my "magic remote", where I can point at the screen and click things. Problem is, I want it back now.

....how do I get it back?

I didn't know you could turn off the click feature. Try scrolling the wheel, and the icon to click with should show up.
calfcramp and ensignlee like this.

My Gear:
Spoiler!
post #12780 of 22227 Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Haha. Yeah paying 6K for an E6 was kind of nuts.
Lol thats what i paid for my old EF!

Last edited by Cam1977; 02-27-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page