2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 427 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80776Likes

post #12781 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I took advantage of the huge price drop yesterday and have ordered a 55 C8. I watch sports and we watch movies and kid's shows. I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy and I don't want to be adjusting picture settings every time I change the channel. The #1 issue for me is motion. I'm very sensitive to blur, which is why I still have a plasma as my primary set. I've looked thru the rtings.com settings, but they don't appear to recommend any motion settings to be on. For those of you using your 2018 OLED's for watching similar to mine, what do you recommend to minimize motion issues? It's basketball season, so I'll be watching tons of that in the next month, but baseball is around the corner and football usually gives the biggest test for TV's, as fast moving passes and players tend to blur on these modern sets.

As for the kid's shows, I plan on using the logo luminance function to attempt to mitigate the Disney/Nickelodeon, etc. logos and I'll always watch full screen, even if it's 4:3 content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After scrolling this thread, reading all your posts, and the recent price drops, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 65” C8.

I have a Samsung 65” JS8500 that I’ll be replacing but I am sort of ignorant with a few things.

I’m trying to compare of my connections will cause any issues. I run everything through my Denon AVRX2400. PS4, 4K Apple TV, Nintendo Switch.

I also have some older HDMI cables. With this newer tech is there a way for me to make sure when I buy this C8 I’m getting the absolute best image possible?

BTW, your posts have me absolutely beyond thrilled to think about this on my wall!!
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12783 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeercy View Post
I took advantage of the huge price drop yesterday and have ordered a 55 C8. I watch sports and we watch movies and kid's shows. I'm a set it and forget it kind of guy and I don't want to be adjusting picture settings every time I change the channel. The #1 issue for me is motion. I'm very sensitive to blur, which is why I still have a plasma as my primary set. I've looked thru the rtings.com settings, but they don't appear to recommend any motion settings to be on. For those of you using your 2018 OLED's for watching similar to mine, what do you recommend to minimize motion issues? It's basketball season, so I'll be watching tons of that in the next month, but baseball is around the corner and football usually gives the biggest test for TV's, as fast moving passes and players tend to blur on these modern sets.

As for the kid's shows, I plan on using the logo luminance function to attempt to mitigate the Disney/Nickelodeon, etc. logos and I'll always watch full screen, even if it's 4:3 content.

I still have a plasma and that concern you have about motion on the oled was shared by me as well.. When you are watching high quality content, the motion will be excellent, You should not see any blur. But when when you watch what they call 24p content material, the tv shows a stutter that is God awful,.. while plasma's are immune to this, along with leds i think as well...for a few days i watched both my plasma and my oled side by side sharing the same feed,, in 95% of what i watched the motion was comparable. I noticed it really bad once while watching "pawn stars" on the history channel on verizon fios..

Panasonic GT50 55"

SONY X900E 75"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12784 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McClane View Post
After scrolling this thread, reading all your posts, and the recent price drops, I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the 65” C8.

I have a Samsung 65” JS8500 that I’ll be replacing but I am sort of ignorant with a few things.

I’m trying to compare of my connections will cause any issues. I run everything through my Denon AVRX2400. PS4, 4K Apple TV, Nintendo Switch.

I also have some older HDMI cables. With this newer tech is there a way for me to make sure when I buy this C8 I’m getting the absolute best image possible?

BTW, your posts have me absolutely beyond thrilled to think about this on my wall!!
Yeah man,, at these prices, I can't really think of a reason for anyone not to pick one up right now.. I was always led to believe that mostly all hdmi cords are the same, but maybe someone that's more updated on this can chime in..

Panasonic GT50 55"

SONY X900E 75"
post #12785 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:

Just make sure your hdmi cables are decent. If you don't have, look for hdmi certified cables and you don't need to spend a ton of money on them. Check monoprice, they have good cables and great prices. Again check for certified ones.

As for your image quality, the quality will be as good as the image signal from each of your devices.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #12786 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I came from a Samsung 64pn8500 plasma and I get the jump to LED wouldnt be easy but figured they had to have come a long way to match near what the OLED and Plasmas were. Guess not. Ill stick with OLED. Thanks much guys. The wife gave me permission to spend whatever I want on a TV so I think the C8 77" is in the future.
post #12787 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
Placed an order for the C8 65!!! The recent price drop was just too good to pass up.

Delivery date is Saturday. This will be my first 4K TV and I'm beyond excited. I have about 25 4K UHDs ready to play.

My current audio receiver is the Denon X2000 that has 4K passthrough. I'm really hoping I can get by with this receiver for now.

If your UHD player has separate HDMI outputs for Audio and video, your good to go. If not, you could look at one of the solutions from HDFURY to handle the HDCP restrictions.
post #12788 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've complained about sports motion here several times. Coming from a DLP, it's just terrible. Well, I've turned on Motion Pro, and motion it is back to being as it should be. I tried it a couple of times earlier and turned it back off after a few hours because I didn't like the darkness associated with it. I've gotten used to it now. It's no darker than my DLP was and even though it doesn't 'pop' like having motion pro turned off, the trade off is more than acceptable. Hoping they'll incorporate some of the 2019 series motion pro changes, but if not, I'll be OK. Anyone that finds the pan blur or other motion artifacts while watching sports, I recommend giving motion pro a several day trial. It may your best trade off.
hockeynut likes this.
post #12789 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6676 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
post #12790 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked this up last night at Costco to replace my faulty Vizio PQ and while it was late and I only had about an hour and a half to play around I am concerned. First on the Blue startup screen I have multiple pixels stuck flashing white, at least 6 that are very bright and noticeable and a few more that are faint. I hope that these go away with some use and I'm going to try the pixel refresh tonight if its still there. But the biggest concern is that the screen would randomly cut out to black for a split second. Sometimes it was multiple times per minute and other times it would be fine for 5 or 7 minutes then a quick flash again. Currently I have everything going to my receiver then the receiver going to the TV HDMI #2 . Tonight I'm going to run everything to directly to the TV then out to the receiver. Just seems weird that the startup screens didn't have any issues except for the stuck pixels but streaming using the TV apps did and also watching via DirecTv and AppleTv all had video drop outs. Hope its just the current setup and it just needs some changes.
post #12791 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

You are going to love your new toy. These are what you need. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #12792 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
At least those held there value.....

Their value.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #12793 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeercy View Post
...The #1 issue for me is motion. I'm very sensitive to blur, which is why I still have a plasma as my primary set. I've looked thru the rtings.com settings, but they don't appear to recommend any motion settings to be on. For those of you using your 2018 OLED's for watching similar to mine, what do you recommend to minimize motion issues? It's basketball season, so I'll be watching tons of that in the next month, but baseball is around the corner and football usually gives the biggest test for TV's, as fast moving passes and players tend to blur on these modern sets...

Like any over indulgence, watching the LG C8 for some is an acquired taste. There are those, perhaps like yourself, who just have to be compelled and conditioned to fully appreciate the goodness. The simplest solution to overcoming any revulsion to what you see on the C8 screen is to have the wife strap you in a chair, put on the eye cuffs and take it like a man. If it worked for Alex DeLarge, it can work for you too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alex DeLarge.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2532366  
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 02-28-2019 at 09:36 AM.
post #12794 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post
Just picked this up last night at Costco to replace my faulty Vizio PQ and while it was late and I only had about an hour and a half to play around I am concerned. First on the Blue startup screen I have multiple pixels stuck flashing white, at least 6 that are very bright and noticeable and a few more that are faint. I hope that these go away with some use and I'm going to try the pixel refresh tonight if its still there. But the biggest concern is that the screen would randomly cut out to black for a split second. Sometimes it was multiple times per minute and other times it would be fine for 5 or 7 minutes then a quick flash again. Currently I have everything going to my receiver then the receiver going to the TV HDMI #2 . Tonight I'm going to run everything to directly to the TV then out to the receiver. Just seems weird that the startup screens didn't have any issues except for the stuck pixels but streaming using the TV apps did and also watching via DirecTv and AppleTv all had video drop outs. Hope its just the current setup and it just needs some changes.
Wondering what your issues were with your Vizio PQ... I'm returning my Vizio PQ due to excessive bloom and FALD flickering in panning shots... Also, it fails to display video on startup at least 50% of the time. I'm waiting on my C8 to be delivered, ordered it yesterday but it looks like it's going to be quite the wait for the freight company since I live out in the sticks.
post #12795 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:

The HDMI cable is just a data pipe. It can not improve the pq (reds can't be made redder for example). You either get the picture without sparkles, dropouts, etc or you don't. Depending on the length of your cable run, about the best you can do is use Premium High Speed HDMI cables, which are certified by HDMI.org, and come with a QR label for authenticity, for runs up to about 20' (4k HDR). Longer runs will probably require the use of a hybrid fiber HDMI cable (Ruipro comes to mind) but they are expensive. If you're hanging your panel on the wall, and your cabling is installed in-wall, using a conduit for your cable run is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling, so plan ahead. There are other factors involved in a successful cable run besides the data pipe but if you start off with good cables, installed properly, that's one less thing to worry about if there are issues. No cable is 100% guaranteed to work for any given setup.

I have a 65 C8 cabled with Premium High Speed HDMI cables (copper-based) and the pq is jaw dropping. I will be testing some Ruipro hybrid fiber cables for Ruipro once they arrive and are installed sometime next week.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12796 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
I was always led to believe that mostly all hdmi cords are the same, but maybe someone that's more updated on this can chime in..

See my response to John_McClane.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12797 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post
Wondering what your issues were with your Vizio PQ... I'm returning my Vizio PQ due to excessive bloom and FALD flickering in panning shots... Also, it fails to display video on startup at least 50% of the time. I'm waiting on my C8 to be delivered, ordered it yesterday but it looks like it's going to be quite the wait for the freight company since I live out in the sticks.
I could not get anything in 4K over HDMI to work on my Vizio. I could hear the audio but no video but using the internal apps all worked fine. When I picked up the C8 last night the sales rep asked what TV I was coming from and when I told him I'm currently returning a Vizio PQ he said "issues with 4k over HDMI?" so it's a known issue at least with Costco in the Vizio PQ and P series. He also told me that only HDMI 5 would play 4K which is odd since Vizio says port 5 is low bandwidth and can't do full color HDR. I really loved the HDR and DV picture on the Vizio but not being able to get any 4k external device to work with it killed it for me.
ganzhimself likes this.
post #12798 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
If your UHD player has separate HDMI outputs for Audio and video, your good to go. If not, you could look at one of the solutions from HDFURY to handle the HDCP restrictions.
ARC works great for me with a Denon X2000 and an LG 55C8.
Spectrum cable box, Sony X700 4k UHD player and Ethernet cable connected to C8. Used Monoprice certified HDMI cables.
HDMI cable from HDMI 2 port on C8 => Denon X2000. The C8 acts as the system's switching hub.
Use C8's internal apps for Nexflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4k, YouTube, etc...
All controlled by LG 'Magic' remote which powers TV, Denon and Cable box on/off with one button. Need to use Sony remote for UHD player.

Since my system is 2.0, all the additional considerations for multi channel sound don't come into play.

Last edited by Gandu; 02-28-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #12799 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post
I could not get anything in 4K over HDMI to work on my Vizio. I could hear the audio but no video but using the internal apps all worked fine. When I picked up the C8 last night the sales rep asked what TV I was coming from and when I told him I'm currently returning a Vizio PQ he said "issues with 4k over HDMI?" so it's a known issue at least with Costco in the Vizio PQ and P series. He also told me that only HDMI 5 would play 4K which is odd since Vizio says port 5 is low bandwidth and can't do full color HDR. I really loved the HDR and DV picture on the Vizio but not being able to get any 4k external device to work with it killed it for me.
Haven't ran into that issue yet, but my PQ65 won't display video many of the times that I turn it on. That and the fact that blooming and the backlight flicker are driving me nuts is why I'm taking mine back for a C8. I'm just hoping the C8 doesn't have any issues when it's delivered as I don't want to jump through more hoops.
Sxrd55 likes this.
post #12800 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4877 Post(s)
Liked: 7173
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
I'm not super versed in these so cut me a break. All I have to go off is the advertisements essentially. I figured with the FALD on the upper end leds that the contrast had to be somewhat close to oled, guess not.
It was all in just my friend, no offence intended
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12801 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4877 Post(s)
Liked: 7173
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignlee View Post
I have the dumbest question.
At some point, I must have figured out how to disable my "magic remote", where I can point at the screen and click things. Problem is, I want it back now.
Follow these instructions, and the pointer should re-appear:

ensignlee and 11thunder07 like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12802 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
Was playing around with the LG app store and it downloaded some update last night which then notified me that the TV can now be turned on via Wi-Fi through the LG TV Plus app. I believe before you were only able to turn the TV off via Wi-Fi. This morning the LG TV Plus app was also updated with a new look on iOS.
mrtickleuk likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #12803 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 331
It is amazing how "no price talk works" at AVS. Lookout folks....
post #12804 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 01:44 PM

I am having a hard time judging the actual burn in rate with this TV. A lot of Amazon reviews show images of burn-in. This is making me think about protection from where I decide to purchase it.

I usually never go this route. What is the group's opinion on this?
post #12805 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am having a hard time judging the actual burn in rate with this TV. A lot of Amazon reviews show images of burn-in. This is making me think about protection from where I decide to purchase it.

I usually never go this route. What is the group's opinion on this?
Never judge issues by reviews. For everyone person that complains or has an issue and posts it, there could be dozens of people with no issues who do not post that they have no issues.

Just don't leave static images on for hours at a time and don't want CNN or channels like it for 5 straight hours a day.

Just mix up your content the best you can, don't worry and enjoy.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS

Last edited by Jrocker23; 02-28-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #12806 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensignlee View Post
I have the dumbest question.

At some point, I must have figured out how to disable my "magic remote", where I can point at the screen and click things. Problem is, I want it back now.

....how do I get it back?
Thanks for the replies Mr. B and MrTickleuk!

So I tried the scroll wheel, no dice.

And I wiggled it SO HARD lol, no dice. :/

guess I can try a factory reset of the TV but that seems intense lol.
post #12807 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 331
^^Note scroll through the menu, I have seen a command to turn off the red dot and re-size it. Don't ask me where.....
post #12808 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
I was always led to believe that mostly all hdmi cords are the same, but maybe someone that's more updated on this can chime in..
That used to be true in the days of 1080 but not all HDMI cables have the bandwidth for 4K 60Hz (in particular older cables may not meet the modern spec). A cable that isn't good enough will lead to no picture, picture cutting out, or sparkles. The good news is that once you meet the basic bandwidth requirement they are all going to give the same PQ, so you don't need to buy a $1000 HDMI cable to get the optimal PQ. Monoprice and Blue Jean Cables make solid HDMI cables for reasonable prices.

If you need a very long run (more than 15-20ft) then you may need an active cable or a very thick cable like the BJC Belden Series-1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| LG OLED65C8P | Pioneer VSX-LX503 | Def Tech BP9040 + CS9040 + A90 + SR9080 | Klipsch R-112SW |
post #12809 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Never judge issues by reviews. For everyone person that complains or has an issue and posts it, there could be dozens of people with no issues who do not post that they have no issues.

Just don't leave static images on for hours at a time and don't want CNN or channels like it for 5 straight hours a day.

Just mix up your content the best you can, don't worry and enjoy.

https://youtu.be/nOcLasaRCzY

Appreciate the reply and you are absolutely right on most reviews...

Thank you for posting the video... Football Saturday and Sunday is my concern... F'n ESPN and their ticker! haha
post #12810 of 21695 Old 02-28-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ESPN & football games Shouldnt be an issue. I watch sports as well and all good on my C8 & C6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page