2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 430 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80785Likes

post #12871 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New 65C8, audio setup question

Great upgrade coming from an old, fading, Pioneer Kuro! My question is this whether it's best to use ARC to get Digital OTA TV audio to my Receiver or better to use the Optical Audio output from the TV to the Receiver? I've set it up both ways, and it sounds the same, but are there any advantages from one to the other? I did search Forum, but the search results were more confusing than illuminating on this subject.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 4885 Post(s)
Liked: 7183
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
Thanks for confirming! So just to be sure, for HDR10 content (not Dolby Vision), CONTRAST and OLED LIGHT should both be set to 100, right?
If you are ever in any doubt, merely do a "reset" for that mode. It's really simple .

All forms of HDR (dolby vision, HDR10, HLG, SL-HDR1) need to perform tone-mapping and need fixed values for Brightness, Contrast and OLED Light.
  • Contrast in all forms of HDR: 100
  • Brightness in all forms of HDR: 50
  • OLED Light:
    • in all forms of HDR except dolby vision: 100
    • in dolby vision only: 50

HTH
mildclubsauce likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12873 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdred View Post
The LG C8 is not as bright as the Samsung Q8 you cannot argue that it really is a fact. However I have personally owned the Q8 and Q9 and I have had major light bloom and dse on both tvs which I could not get over which is I why I went with the C8. I can tell you that I have not noticed the difference in brightness at all. The LG has NO DSE at all. I still squint during lightning on the C8 as I did with the Q8 and Q9. This really comes down to your personal preference I think for what problems you want to deal with.
I owned the Q9FN for about 4 days,, and i went looking for blooming in HDR netflix movies, and i could say that I did not see any blooming
whatsoever.. I have not owned the Q8FN, but being that it only has 40 dimming zones, there's no way that the q8fn can not show blooming here and there.. The DSE i saw on the Q9FN was very bad,, on any outdoor bright sky panning scene, you would see it clearly.. Also, the Q9FN did not do a good job when upscaling heavily compressed hd content, it also had poor motion resolution regarding the low quality content.. But if you fed that baby a great signal, it was marvelous (minus the DSE).. The DSE for me was a deal breaker,, also, I didnt like the fact that the tv would almost blind you when certain scenes suddenly came up,.. And the C8 of course is not as bright, but the C8 is NOT A DIM TV...

Panasonic ST60 60"

(a bunch of tv's in between)

SONY X940E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12874 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
If you are ever in any doubt, merely do a "reset" for that mode. It's really simple .

All forms of HDR (dolby vision, HDR10, HLG, SL-HDR1) need to perform tone-mapping and need fixed values for Brightness, Contrast and OLED Light.
  • Contrast in all forms of HDR: 100
  • Brightness in all forms of HDR: 50
  • OLED Light:
    • in all forms of HDR except dolby vision: 100
    • in dolby vision only: 50

HTH
Perfect, thanks!
calfcramp, parkman and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12875 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnorton View Post
Great upgrade coming from an old, fading, Pioneer Kuro! My question is this whether it's best to use ARC to get Digital OTA TV audio to my Receiver or better to use the Optical Audio output from the TV to the Receiver? I've set it up both ways, and it sounds the same, but are there any advantages from one to the other? I did search Forum, but the search results were more confusing than illuminating on this subject.

Thanks!
Welcome! ARC is finicky so well done if it works. There is an advantage with ARC - it can carry DD+ streams, and optical cannot. DD+ can carry lossy Atmos, and this is used in some cases (eg "Jack Ryan" TV series on Amazon Prime Video; that gives you both dolby vision and dolby atmos at the same time!).

There is one confusing thing you have to do first though. In the Sound menu, switch back to internal speaker to enable the "dolby Atmos" option at the top. Then turn Atmos on. Then switch your sound out back to ARC.
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12876 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Proud new C8 owner as of this week! Loving it so far compared to my previous Panasonic St60 plasma. The HDR content on UHDs is impressive! Much brighter than my plasma too.
Question, from certain angles in the daylight, when the display has a blank black background, I see a reddish tint in the screen. Normal? The picture on all content looks perfect though. I even did some panel testing using the Disney wow calibration disc and from my limited knowledge, everything checked out ok.

Thanks.
post #12877 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Welcome! ARC is finicky so well done if it works. There is an advantage with ARC - it can carry DD+ streams, and optical cannot. DD+ can carry lossy Atmos, and this is used in some cases (eg "Jack Ryan" TV series on Amazon Prime Video; that gives you both dolby vision and dolby atmos at the same time!).

There is one confusing thing you have to do first though. In the Sound menu, switch back to internal speaker to enable the "dolby Atmos" option at the top. Then turn Atmos on. Then switch your sound out back to ARC.
So I’m also finding that the ARC audio from my C8 into my Yamaha receiver is quite temperamental. Upon switching sources often times the Yamaha loses audio connection and I have to turn arc off then on again. I’m assuming this is normal?
post #12878 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
No, but then not everybody has (or wants) a 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos setup. The answer isn't always "go drop $800+ on a new AVR so everything can run through it because that's the way I do it for my Atmos system". Just pointing out there are alternative methods to use an existing AVR with a C8 if HD audio is not a priority.
That's certainly true. However, tv speakers are terrible and soundbars can't compete with even a nominal 5.1 system. For me, if I'm going to spend what I did for the 65 C8 (along with the UBK90 and ATV4k) I want to utilize the tv to its fullest potential, and that includes not only a glorious picture but the audio that is supposed to go with blu-ray/UHD/HDR material. My system is capable of Atmos but I have not yet installed the extra speakers and probably won't for a long time. However, budget is definitely a consideration so one does what one can.
mrtickleuk likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #12879 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Thanks. Ya no plastic strips on the back. But total hours of usage is only 1. Weird. I heard you can reset total hours of usage in the service menu though. I'm gonna exchange this just to be safe.
the large plastic sheets were hard to see on my set. had mine on the wall for a week before i realized the three pieces were still attached.
post #12880 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 03:45 PM

Liked: 59
Regarding Audio on C8. Does anyone here use the option "Internal Speakers + Optical"?

Is it too weird sounding? Any success with it?
post #12881 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 03:48 PM

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed View Post
the large plastic sheets were hard to see on my set. had mine on the wall for a week before i realized the three pieces were still attached.
Was the back of your TV covered in a layer of dirt like mine?
post #12882 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
Everything about quantum apotheosis or whatever he calles himself, is a FRAUD.. He for some reason has been bashing oleds for his

whole sad youtube stint..He claims to be a professional calibrator, yet he hides his name and wont give out any contact info. He bought a $9 light meter from ebay, and that's literally the only calibration tool he owns,. The only reason he's even got 10k subs is that he constantly inserts HDTV'S name into his subject line of his videos, then calls Vince and Rtings liars,, just to boost his own sub count.. Youtube already took his site down last year,, now hes back at it again.. DONT LISTEN TO ANYTHING HE SAYS,, HE IS NOT A CALIBRATOR..He's just a talentless nobody that likes to run his mouth,,

Glad people are finally seeing through his lies. I’ve been fighting this guy for years about his inaccurate claims. But what frustrates the most is his videos are the ones that show up when you search hdtv calibration or something similar.

DO NOT TRUST QUANTUM APOTHEOSIS, DO NOT FOLLOW HIS ADVICE OR USE HIS SETTINGS!
calfcramp, Tony1 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12883 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Regarding Audio on C8. Does anyone here use the option "Internal Speakers + Optical"?

Is it too weird sounding? Any success with it?

I just use optical out and internal speakers off for cable television. All other sources go thru the AVR. Don't understand why one would use the internal speakers and optical.

post #12884 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
Glad people are finally seeing through his lies. I’ve been fighting this guy for years about his inaccurate claims. But what frustrates the most is his videos are the ones that show up when you search hdtv calibration or something similar.

DO NOT TRUST QUANTUM APOTHEOSIS, DO NOT FOLLOW HIS ADVICE OR USE HIS SETTINGS!

Don't worry. Most everyone here on AVS knows about him.
calfcramp and Tony1 like this.

post #12885 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Was the back of your TV covered in a layer of dirt like mine?
can't remember that far back in time
events prior to thanksgiving are lost in a tryptophan haze.
post #12886 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Yes Contrast 100 is the only setting you should ever use for all forms of HDR. Otherwise the TV's tone-mapping algorithm will be off.
These (Contrast, Brightness, OLED Light) are all the defaults. Don't touch these settings in the HDR modes
Won't the tone mapping algorithm be off anyways, if you have it on and mess with the settings and vice versa?
post #12887 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6674
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
A Q8 is better than the C8? That tells me right off the bat this guy is insane. Most professional reviewers would not say that.
I know I would never say that, now there are pros and cons to every TV......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
Couple of more questions about wall mounting the C8 77":
1) Once the TV is mounted on an articulating wall mount, is it safe to push the TV back toward the wall by applying pressure on the two opposite horizontal sides of the TV? I ask because it requires substantial force to push the articulating mount flush with the wall (against the friction of the mount hinges). If not, what is the safest way to push and pull the TV on the wall mount to the back or front on an occasional basis?

2) Is it OK to lift the TV by the bottom of the thin panel while setting the TV on the wall mount?
I would push where the mount attaches to the TV......pull from the bottom center. You pull from the edges you could bend the screen. I personally would probably not use an articulating arm with an OLED.

You will have to life the TV to put it on the mount, just like you said.
Tony1 likes this.
post #12888 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey all - brand new to this thread and I’m expecting delivery of my 65” C8 next week. Trying to read as much as I can but this thread has almost 13k responses! Just trying to figure out how to best configure my set. FWIW, I mainly watch xfinity cable and Blu-ray via my old oppo 95 player. Perhaps down the road I may get a 4K player. In fact I’m just researching on how to get get 4K content. My living room is pretty bright and I’m 15’ away from the panel. I plan to connect it to my Denon x4200w via hdmi in a 2.1 setup.

Any pointers/links will be greatly appreciated. TIA
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12889 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 11:18 PM

Temperamental ARC here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
So I’m also finding that the ARC audio from my C8 into my Yamaha receiver is quite temperamental. Upon switching sources often times the Yamaha loses audio connection and I have to turn arc off then on again. I’m assuming this is normal?
Yeah, so I thought ARC was working great with my C8 and Yamaha RX-A3070. I was only using ARC to get OTA TV Digital Audio back to the Yamaha. It works fine, and sounds good, but when I use the Harmony Remote to change activities/inputs/sources things don't switch correctly most of the time. I have to restart the TV or some other component to get things synced up again. So I turned off ARC in the Yamaha and am using the regular Optical output from the C8 to send audio. Everything switches and syncs just fine when not using ARC. It is so normal these days for advertised features to not work correctly
post #12890 of 21701 Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 PM

D-Nice settings list for the C8?

I've read a ton of pages here and have done several searches for a recommended settings list for the C8 from D-Nice. I can't seem to find a list here. If D-Nice has posted such a list here, and if you have it bookmarked, would you mind posting a link here so I can find it?

Thanks!
post #12891 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sfnorton , D-Nice did not ever post the settings, so they are not findable

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Won't the tone mapping algorithm be off anyways, if you have it on and mess with the settings and vice versa?
Sorry, I used the word "off" which was ambiguous!

If you change those key settings, the tone mapping algorithm will be confused/wrong/make bad decisions. That's what I meant by "off" . As in, your aim was "off" if you miss a target when shooting.

You cannot turn the TV's tone mapping algorithm off in the sense of disabling it. It's internal to the TV, and required because the TV cannot produce 4,000 nits, and it does not cover the entire rec2020 colour gamut. You wouldn't want to see HDR without any tone-mapping at all. Colours at the edges of the gamut would look randomly wrong; bright areas would be a solid shade of the TV's peak brightness. It would be completely unwatchable!

Aside: This is nothing to do with switching it to "dynamic" mode ("Dynamic Tone mapping"). This is the mode where it will ignore the metadata and make its own judgements when it is doing its tone-mapping. But in all forms of HDR, the TV is always doing tone-mapping. It has to because of its limitations
calfcramp likes this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 03-02-2019 at 02:20 AM.
post #12892 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
No, but then not everybody has (or wants) a 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos setup. The answer isn't always "go drop $800+ on a new AVR so everything can run through it because that's the way I do it for my Atmos system". Just pointing out there are alternative methods to use an existing AVR with a C8 if HD audio is not a priority.
That's certainly true. However, tv speakers are terrible and soundbars can't compete with even a nominal 5.1 system. For me, if I'm going to spend what I did for the 65 C8 (along with the UBK90 and ATV4k) I want to utilize the tv to its fullest potential, and that includes not only a glorious picture but the audio that is supposed to go with blu-ray/UHD/HDR material. My system is capable of Atmos but I have not yet installed the extra speakers and probably won't for a long time. However, budget is definitely a consideration so one does what one can.
Soundbars can definitely compete with AVR setups. I have owned the LG SK10Y, Samsung K950, and now the Nakamichi 9.2.4 Soundwafe sound bar which has outstanding performance and sound quality. These are all Atmos equiped sound bars but the Nakamichi checks all the boxes. Check out the reviews.
post #12893 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, so I thought ARC was working great with my C8 and Yamaha RX-A3070. I was only using ARC to get OTA TV Digital Audio back to the Yamaha. It works fine, and sounds good, but when I use the Harmony Remote to change activities/inputs/sources things don't switch correctly most of the time. I have to restart the TV or some other component to get things synced up again. So I turned off ARC in the Yamaha and am using the regular Optical output from the C8 to send audio. Everything switches and syncs just fine when not using ARC. It is so normal these days for advertised features to not work correctly
Exactly the issues I’m having. My solution, I bought a new Yamaha CX-5100 so I can avoid ARC all together.
post #12894 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
I've read a ton of pages here and have done several searches for a recommended settings list for the C8 from D-Nice. I can't seem to find a list here. If D-Nice has posted such a list here, and if you have it bookmarked, would you mind posting a link here so I can find it?

Thanks!
There are no such settings, but plenty of other sources to give you a few options if you read this thread or use google.
calfcramp likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #12895 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I am new to the 65C8 club. I got my replacement C8 yesterday after the previous one would not boot past the WebOS screen. The bad one had a green bar that would start in the upper right corner and then proceed towards the bottom of the screen, sort of like a progress bar.

All seems to be good with the replacement.

Now to find time to read the thread...
post #12896 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:

That's probably due to a CEC incompatibility (input switching), which is quite common, and there is very little you can do about that because CEC is not standardized so the mfrs are free to implement however they choose. There are no firmware "fixes". ARC and CEC are still associated with each other on a lot of systems so you either enable both or disable both. Some systems are now allowing for separate control which helps. Another option is to use something like a Lindy CECless adapter which blocks the CEC commands but allows ARC to still function.

For OTA audio just use an optical cable from your tv to the receiver. No need for ARC. I did that for years with my other HTS and it worked perfectly. You are limited to discrete 5.1 but that's all you can get anyway from OTA television.

The other option is to disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices, use an optical cable as I mentioned above for OTA audio and get a programmable remote like a Harmony for single remote control of your HTS. I have two HTS's (the C8 is upstairs) and both are controlled effortlessly with Harmony 700's.

post #12897 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
I am new to the 65C8 club. I got my replacement C8 yesterday after the previous one would not boot past the WebOS screen. The bad one had a green bar that would start in the upper right corner and then proceed towards the bottom of the screen, sort of like a progress bar.

All seems to be good with the replacement.

Now to find time to read the thread...

Excellent! Welcome to the club You might want to start with the basic settings given on rtings.com. That's a good place to start and a lot of us are still using those settings with a few tweaks for our viewing environments.
wfiveash and calfcramp like this.

post #12898 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
I've read a ton of pages here and have done several searches for a recommended settings list for the C8 from D-Nice. I can't seem to find a list here. If D-Nice has posted such a list here, and if you have it bookmarked, would you mind posting a link here so I can find it? !
You can find suggested settings on rtings.com, and CNET might have some also. Personally, I think it's best to only use those as a starting point, and after the TV has broken in for 100 hours or so, to then (1) adjust your set using the AVS 709HD disc or disk like Avia or WOW or Spears and Munsell, or (2) adjust by eye. Each panel is a bit different so you can't assume someone else's settings will be perfect for you. But rtings, etc. at least gives you a start.

Personally, I like the Technicolor Expert mode the best for SDR, and I adjusted by color and tint using the AVS 709HD disc, but YMMV.
post #12899 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 331
^^ So I have about 400+ hours on the C8. Have been viewing it in Technicolor Expert Mode only SDR and 1080p content and it looks excellent. So from others experience considering my eyes, how much improvement will one notice with any further tweaking by be it may rtings, CNET, AVS 709, professional calibration, etc.

I am guessing the answer will be "your eyes have it"
calfcramp likes this.
post #12900 of 21701 Old 03-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ So I have about 400+ hours on the C8. Have been viewing it in Technicolor Expert Mode only SDR and 1080p content and it looks excellent. So from others experience considering my eyes, how much improvement will one notice with any further tweaking by be it may rtings, CNET, AVS 709, professional calibration, etc.

I am guessing the answer will be "your eyes have it"

Someone else’s settings are going to be worse than the preset in almost all cases due to panel variance , if you like it as is I would stick with that, it’s pretty close to ideal out of the box . Avs 709 will probably not benefit you much since you can only really set black level and contrast which are almost always correct out of the box. Pro calibration is always the best but it’s value is subjective imo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tanman and 11thunder07 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page