2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 446 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81152Likes

post #13351 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
It’s weird how they are are rolling the new firmware over the air but it’s not posted on lg website yet.
It's always like that. That way if there are issues with it, they can control how many sets are affected. Once they see it's ok, it goes to a wider audience and then the website

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
calfcramp, Adamd and mrtickleuk like this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13352 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG OLED65C8PUA - Replacement Power Cord

Hello all,

I recently purchased my first OLED TV and am loving it. However, I have never seen a power cord on a TV like the one on this LG OLED65C8PUA. The power cord is too short and I need drop it down my wall shoot and pop it back out to plug it into the outlet. This has not been a problem with previous TV's as I've just been able to purchase a longer power cord (2-prong) via Amazon, Monoprice, etc. However, these LG OLED TVs have a small panel with a single screw you remove to expose a white (Molex type) box connector. I have not been able to find any pre-made power cords for sale online that use this type of connector. I really don't want to modify the existing power cord or make my own, and I'm not super excited about running a good extension cord through the wall. I'm really looking for the cleanest solution here. Additionally, installing a clock-box style power outlet behind the TV isn't really and option for me as I don't want to cut another hole in the wall. Does anybody know of a place that sells power cords for these OLED TVs in longer lengths that are pre-fab? Thanks for any insight anybody can provide.
post #13353 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
Not sure at the moment but I still believe in "three strikes & you are out" law . Don't get me wrong I love the pic of OLED TVs & what they're capable of since been in this arena with the likes of Proton, Runco, NEC three gun projectors & on and on , these OLEDs are far cry better than anything in the market past & present plus the pic is right on the spot right out of the box .
I hear ya, then you factor in the low street price.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13354 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
then you factor in the low street price.......

I don't quite understand what you mean by that .

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #13355 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I hear ya, then you factor in the low street price.......
Should have known you are a dealer .

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #13356 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I didn't install the 04.10.31 firmware update that popped up on Thursday (3/14), now it's showing as no updates available. Oh well. Still planning on holding out until I see others report back on it.
calfcramp likes this.
post #13357 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post
I didn't install the 04.10.31 firmware update that popped up on Thursday (3/14), now it's showing as no updates available. Oh well. Still planning on holding out until I see others report back on it.
You know there’s people out there dieing to get there hands on 4.10.31 then you go ahead and throw it away. I dare you.....

JKJK
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #13358 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
You know there’s people out there dieing to get there hands on 4.10.31 then you go ahead and throw it away. I dare you.....

JKJK
post #13359 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I've been generally really enjoying my first OLED, a 65C8, purchased around New Years. I do experience one significant problem - a/v sync - but this is not the traditional problem nor is it consistent:

- system consists of Oppo BDP-93, Nvidia Shield, and DirecTV box going through Denon 4810 receiver (yes, I still have a 1080p chain, upgrades are coming)
- internal TV speakers and internal apps are not used, TV is only a monitor
- the Denon only has automatic a/v syncing with no manual timing adjustment available
- a/v sync on blu-rays played through BDP-93 is perfect, with Denon automatic a/v syncing turned on
- a/v sync seems to be great/perfect playing ripped movies or games through Nvidia Shield with Denon autmatic a/v syncing turned on
- HOWEVER, a/v sync drifts while watching DirecTV or Amazon Video through the Nvidia Shield with the Denon automatic a/v syncing turned on. It can be perfect for half a show, and then start randomly drifting. Video is
ALWAYS behind the audio.
- I turned off the Denon automatic syncing, and now DirecTV appears to be more consistent, however, video is always slightly behind audio.
- With Denon automatic syncing off, I can manually adjust the a/v sync on the Shield -- however, different apps within the Shield appear to have slightly different timings.
- Never saw any syncing issues with a previous 1080i RPTV or 720p LCD and this exact same signal chain.

Other than getting a more modern receiver (in the upgrade plan for later in 2019), is there any suggestions to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this exact type of problem?
post #13360 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg View Post
I've been generally really enjoying my first OLED, a 65C8, purchased around New Years. I do experience one significant problem - a/v sync - but this is not the traditional problem nor is it consistent:

- system consists of Oppo BDP-93, Nvidia Shield, and DirecTV box going through Denon 4810 receiver (yes, I still have a 1080p chain, upgrades are coming)

- internal TV speakers and internal apps are not used, TV is only a monitor

- the Denon only has automatic a/v syncing with no manual timing adjustment available

- a/v sync on blu-rays played through BDP-93 is perfect, with Denon automatic a/v syncing turned on

- a/v sync seems to be great/perfect playing ripped movies or games through Nvidia Shield with Denon autmatic a/v syncing turned on

- HOWEVER, a/v sync drifts while watching DirecTV or Amazon Video through the Nvidia Shield with the Denon automatic a/v syncing turned on. It can be perfect for half a show, and then start randomly drifting. Video is

ALWAYS behind the audio.

- I turned off the Denon automatic syncing, and now DirecTV appears to be more consistent, however, video is always slightly behind audio.

- With Denon automatic syncing off, I can manually adjust the a/v sync on the Shield -- however, different apps within the Shield appear to have slightly different timings.

- Never saw any syncing issues with a previous 1080i RPTV or 720p LCD and this exact same signal chain.

Other than getting a more modern receiver (in the upgrade plan for later in 2019), is there any suggestions to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this exact type of problem?
So you have all your devices plugged into the Denon receiver? Might be worth trying plugging them into the TV directly to see if the problem still exists. The shield allows 4k so I'd certainly recommend not having any 4k capable device plugged into your receiver since your receiver will only output 1080p. Try it out and let us know the results unless I read your post wrong and you have them plugged into the TV already.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #13361 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
It was a test version yes, but some people apparently already got it the regular way. Test version can be obtained by setting the update server in the service menu to engineering mode or just downloaded from LGs servers if someone leaks the URL.
What exactly is the menu item you changed called? Update server doesn't exist as an item on my E8, nor does anything called engineering mode.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's under System 2 > NSU

Last edited by clifak; 03-16-2019 at 08:04 PM.
post #13362 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked: 2131
Just thought I'd chime in to say I will be a proud owner of my first OLED on Thursday. I purchased the C8 77" at Best Buy today at a very good price, along with a 5-year warranty at a reduced price. Needless to say, I am quite excited!

For the last 10 years I had a Pioneer Elite PRO-151 plasma and a Sony 940D LCD/LED. I bought the Sony in June of 2016 and four days ago I was watching a UHD Blu-ray and a vertical red line appeared on the left-hand side of the screen. I did a factory reset to no avail. I then called Sony and they gave me the number to the nearest Authorized Sony Repair Center...they told me the panel was shot and not worth repairing (since I had no extended warranty). I then started shopping and was elated to see how much an LG OLED 77" had gone down since I was shopping for OLEDs in 2016 (I had wanted the LG 77G then but there was no way I would be shelling out nearly 20K for a tv). So, I will finally have the OLED I've always wanted ever since I decided to replace my Pioneer Elite PRO with a bigger display. I can't wait for PERFECT BLACKS (and no clouding/blooming), Dolby Vision, and excellent HDR performance.
tbass2k, calfcramp, sd13 and 5 others like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #13363 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
^man are you in for a treat! Congrats!!!
calfcramp and djoberg like this.
post #13364 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5093 Post(s)
Liked: 7428
@djoberg welcome! I remember that feeling of excitement, enjoy!
calfcramp and djoberg like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #13365 of 22300 Old 03-16-2019, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked: 1713
If it was me, I'd buy an LG cable: https://lg.encompass.com/item/11060390/LG/EAD64026802/ and lengthen it. Crimp connectors, wire nuts, or solder and heat shrink tubing.

Not pretty, but no one would see it, and it would allow you to retain the original cable.
post #13366 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 323
You should be excited, OLED has the best PQ ever, IMO.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
djoberg likes this.
post #13367 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Just a heads up for anybody wishing to try the engineering mode to get the newest firmware. Thanks to JK, for reminding me, lol. I totally forgot about that!

I scoured the menus for every input, every setting, and tested them all. There are no added or removed entrees at all and the update will not ruin calibrations! I can't tell if the firmware will fix the issues this was made for, as I never have had those to start{knock on wood}.
post #13368 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Just a heads up for anybody wishing to try the engineering mode to get the newest firmware. Thanks to JK, for reminding me, lol. I totally forgot about that!

I scoured the menus for every input, every setting, and tested them all. There are no added or removed entrees at all and the update will not ruin calibrations! I can't tell if the firmware will fix the issues this was made for, as I never have had those to start{knock on wood}.
How does someone turn this on? Do I need a service remote or a phone with IR? I tried finding a store locally with a service remote yesterday and had no luck. Amazon has service remotes I can get one for Tuesday I might do that. I would also like to try changing when the tv does comp cycles to reduce banding.

Last edited by Adamd; 03-17-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #13369 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello

I just ordered a 65" C8, it will be here on Thursday. I wanted to get the LG slim wall mount but don't see anything for the 2018 model. Did LG actually make one or does one for the older models work ?

Once mounted, are there setting that should be adjusted out of the box ?

it's my first OLED.
post #13370 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 344
^^Just set it on Technicolor mode and enjoy!
post #13371 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
Once mounted, are there setting that should be adjusted out of the box ?

it's my first OLED.
My father liked my OLED65C so much that he picked one up for himself. I shared these settings with him in the format below to help guide him through each input (etc.). Obviously your panel may vary but these settings are likely good for a new panel out of the box and are based on the RTINGS.com settings for the most part. The only thing I'd really urge you to adjust to taste initially are the motion-related settings since people vary widely on what bothers them (motion blur, flickering, "soap opera effect" etc.).

I tried to format the below so that it flows much like the actual menu system of the TV itself.

Obviously, everyone's mileage may vary and if anyone takes issue with any setting/preference above I wholeheartedly endorse such criticizm. This is just what worked for me (and a few others/websites upon which I based these settings).

Code:
For each input/device, set up the following modes for each content type:

SDR (standard dynamic range) = "ISF Expert (Bright Room)" and "ISF Expert (Dark Room)"
HDR (high dynamic range) = "Technicolor Expert"
Dobly Vision (Dolby's HDR) = "Cinema Home (user)"

If your device won't output HDR or Dolby Vision, you will only need to set up two picture modes (ISF Expert Bright and Dark).

Procedure, menu structure, and settings follow. . .

-----------------------------------------

First, select the HDMI input for the device.
Then, playback SDR, HDR, or Dolby Vision content so that the TV will offer the appropriate Picture Modes (not all modes are available for all media types)

----WHILE PLAYING BACK SDR (STANDARD DYNAMIC RANGE) MEDIA-----
Picture Mode Settings
	"ISF Expert (Bright Room)"
		OLED LIGHT = 60 (adjust to taste for room when bright/daylight)
		Contrast = 85
		Brightness = 50
		Sharpness = 0
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Super Resolution = Off
			Color Gamut = Auto
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2
			White Balance
				Color Temperature = Warm2
				(ignore all other "white balance" settings)
			Color Management System
				(ignore all Color Management System settings)
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off
			MPEG Noise Reduction = Off
			Black Level = Low
			Real Cinema = On
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User
					De-Judder = 2
					De-Blur = 0
					Motion Pro = Off
	Aspect Ratio Settings
		Aspect Ratio = 16:9
		Just Scan = On		
	Energy Saving = Off
	Additional Settings
		Eye Comfort Mode = Off
		HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color
			(if device on this input is HDR/Dolby Vision-capable, turn this on)

Picture Mode Settings
	"ISF Expert (Dark Room)"
		OLED LIGHT = 30 (adjust to taste for room when dark)
		Contrast = 85
		Brightness = 50
		Sharpness = 0
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Super Resolution = Off
			Color Gamut = Auto
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2
			White Balance
			Color Management System
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off
			Black Level = Low
			Real Cinema = On
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User
					De-Judder = 2
					De-Blur = 0
					Motion Pro = Off
	Aspect Ratio Settings
		Just Scan = On		
	Energy Saving = Off
	Additional Settings
		Eye Comfort Mode = Off
		HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color

----WHILE PLAYING BACK HDR MEDIA (or force device into HDR output)-----
Picture Mode Settings
	"Technicolor Expert"
		OLED LIGHT = 100 (DO NOT ADJUST FOR HDR MEDIA!)
		Contrast = 85
		Brightness = 50
		Sharpness = 0
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Dynamic Tone Mapping = On
			Super Resolution = Off
			Color Gamut = Auto
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2 (grayed out)
			White Balance
				Color Temperature = Warm1
			Color Management System
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off
			Black Level = Low
			Real Cinema = On (grayed out)
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User
					De-Judder = 2
					De-Blur = 0
					Motion Pro = Off
	Aspect Ratio Settings
		Just Scan = On		
	Energy Saving = Off
	Additional Settings
		Eye Comfort Mode = Off
		HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color

----WHILE PLAYING BACK DOLBY VISION MEDIA (or force device into Dobly Vision output)-----
Picture Mode Settings
	"Cinema Home (User)"
		OLED LIGHT = 50 (DO NOT ADJUST FOR DOLBY VISION!)
		Contrast = 85
		Brightness = 50
		Sharpness = 0
		Color = 50
		Tint = 0 (grayed out)
		Expert Controls
			Dynamic Contrast = Off
			Super Resolution = Off
			Color Gamut = Wide (grayed out)
			Color Filter = Off
			Gamma = 2.2 (grayed out)
			White Balance
			Color Management System
		Picture Options
			Noise Redution = Off
			Black Level = Low (grayed out)
			Motion Eye Care = Off
			TruMotion
				User
					De-Judder = 2
					De-Blur = 0
					Motion Pro = Off 
	Aspect Ratio Settings
		Just Scan = On		
	Energy Saving = Off
	Additional Settings
		Eye Comfort Mode = Off
		HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeat the above for each HDMI input and/or device, and the built-in "smart tv" functionality.
gymnos and majori3333 like this.
post #13372 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Stablax

Thanks,
These are helpful for a new owner
post #13373 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
My father liked my OLED65C so much that he picked one up for himself. I shared these settings with him in the format below to help guide him through each input (etc.). Obviously your panel may vary but these settings are likely good for a new panel out of the box and are based on the RTINGS.com settings for the most part. The only thing I'd really urge you to adjust to taste initially are the motion-related settings since people vary widely on what bothers them (motion blur, flickering, "soap opera effect" etc.).

I tried to format the below so that it flows much like the actual menu system of the TV itself.

Obviously, everyone's mileage may vary and if anyone takes issue with any setting/preference above I wholeheartedly endorse such criticizm. This is just what worked for me (and a few others/websites upon which I based these settings).

Code:
For each input/device, set up the following modes for each content type:

SDR (standard dynamic range) = "ISF Expert (Bright Room)" and "ISF Expert (Dark Room)"
HDR (high dynamic range) = "Technicolor Expert"
Dobly Vision (Dolby's HDR) = "Cinema Home (user)"

If your device won't output HDR or Dolby Vision, you will only need to set up two picture modes (ISF Expert Bright and Dark).

Procedure, menu structure, and settings follow. . .

-----------------------------------------

First, select the HDMI input for the device.
Then, playback SDR, HDR, or Dolby Vision content so that the TV will offer the appropriate Picture Modes (not all modes are available for all media types)

----WHILE PLAYING BACK SDR (STANDARD DYNAMIC RANGE) MEDIA-----
Picture Mode Settings
    "ISF Expert (Bright Room)"
        OLED LIGHT = 60 (adjust to taste for room when bright/daylight)
        Contrast = 85
        Brightness = 50
        Sharpness = 0
        Color = 50
        Tint = 0
        Expert Controls
            Dynamic Contrast = Off
            Super Resolution = Off
            Color Gamut = Auto
            Color Filter = Off
            Gamma = 2.2
            White Balance
            Color Management System
        Picture Options
            Noise Redution = Off
            Black Level = Low
            Real Cinema = On
            Motion Eye Care = Off
            TruMotion
                User
                    De-Judder = 2
                    De-Blur = 0
                    Motion Pro = Off
    Aspect Ratio Settings
        Just Scan = On        
    Energy Saving = Off
    Additional Settings
        Eye Comfort Mode = Off
        HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color

Picture Mode Settings
    "ISF Expert (Dark Room)"
        OLED LIGHT = 30 (adjust to taste for room when dark)
        Contrast = 85
        Brightness = 50
        Sharpness = 0
        Color = 50
        Tint = 0
        Expert Controls
            Dynamic Contrast = Off
            Super Resolution = Off
            Color Gamut = Auto
            Color Filter = Off
            Gamma = 2.2
            White Balance
            Color Management System
        Picture Options
            Noise Redution = Off
            Black Level = Low
            Real Cinema = On
            Motion Eye Care = Off
            TruMotion
                User
                    De-Judder = 2
                    De-Blur = 0
                    Motion Pro = Off
    Aspect Ratio Settings
        Just Scan = On        
    Energy Saving = Off
    Additional Settings
        Eye Comfort Mode = Off
        HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color

----WHILE PLAYING BACK HDR MEDIA (or force device into HDR output)-----
Picture Mode Settings
    "Technicolor Expert"
        OLED LIGHT = 100 (DO NOT ADJUST FOR HDR MEDIA!)
        Contrast = 85
        Brightness = 50
        Sharpness = 0
        Color = 50
        Tint = 0
        Expert Controls
            Dynamic Contrast = Off
            Dynamic Tone Mapping = On
            Super Resolution = Off
            Color Gamut = Auto
            Color Filter = Off
            Gamma = 2.2 (grayed out)
            White Balance
                Color Temperature = Warm1
            Color Management System
        Picture Options
            Noise Redution = Off
            Black Level = Low
            Motion Eye Care = Off
            TruMotion
                User
                    De-Judder = 2
                    De-Blur = 0
                    Motion Pro = Off
    Aspect Ratio Settings
        Just Scan = On        
    Energy Saving = Off
    Additional Settings
        Eye Comfort Mode = Off
        HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color

----WHILE PLAYING BACK DOLBY VISION MEDIA (or force device into Dobly Vision output)-----
Picture Mode Settings
    "Cinema Home (User)"
        OLED LIGHT = 50 (DO NOT ADJUST FOR DOLBY VISION!)
        Contrast = 85
        Brightness = 50
        Sharpness = 0
        Color = 50
        Tint = 0 (grayed out)
        Expert Controls
            Dynamic Contrast = Off
            Super Resolution = Off
            Color Gamut = Wide (grayed out)
            Color Filter = Off
            Gamma = 2.2 (grayed out)
            White Balance
            Color Management System
        Picture Options
            Noise Redution = Off
            Black Level = Low (grayed out)
            Motion Eye Care = Off
            TruMotion
                User
                    De-Judder = 2
                    De-Blur = 0
                    Motion Pro = Off 
    Aspect Ratio Settings
        Just Scan = On        
    Energy Saving = Off
    Additional Settings
        Eye Comfort Mode = Off
        HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeat the above for each HDMI input and/or device, and the built-in "smart tv" functionality.

Wrong.

It should be BT1886 , not gamma 2.2
post #13374 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Personally I didn’t like the look of BT1886, so I use 2.2 and suspect there are many like me. To say it’s wrong is just wrong as we all have different preferances and that other thing called panel variance.
calfcramp and gymnos like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #13375 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post
Wrong.

Fair enough. Feel free to take it up with RTings. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. To each their own.

--H
calfcramp and gymnos like this.
post #13376 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3813
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post
Wrong.

There is a lot of differing opinion on gamma no one answer, this has been going on since the plasma days, I use a power 2.3 for my night mode but it’s really subjective . I agree with poster above the bt1886 can look a little contrasty and unnatural .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #13377 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5093 Post(s)
Liked: 7428
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Personally I didn’t like the look of BT1886, so I use 2.2 and suspect there are many like me.
On an OLED panel that can do perfect black, BT.1886 is exactly the same curve as gamma 2.4.
On an LCD that can't do black, BT.1886 is a slightly different curve, but more or less the same as gamma 2.4.
These are both for "dark room" viewing. You should think of BT.1886 as equivalent to gamma 2.4 in what it aims to get out of the display and how quickly it "comes out of black".

Completely different scenario: gamma 2.2 on the other hand is used for "bright room" viewing - lower number of gamma curve means it "comes out of black" more rapidly so that you can see the very dark shadow details in the bright room conditions.

And yes some people prefer the look of 2.2, even if they can see everything with it set to 2.4. Or 2.3. Some nutters even use 1.9

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 03-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.
post #13378 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I ordered a service remote today. Can anyone give me some tips on what setting I have to change to get 03.10.31? I’m going to be looking online on how to navigate the service menu.
post #13379 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
I ordered a service remote today. Can anyone give me some tips on what setting I have to change to get 03.10.31? I’m going to be looking online on how to navigate the service menu.
Do they sell service remotes in stores?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #13380 of 22300 Old 03-17-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Do they sell service remotes in stores?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I wish then i would have one now. At least in my area I could not find anything. I got mine off amazon.
macmane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page