2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 455 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80798Likes

post #13621 of 21722 Old 03-22-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6685 Post(s)
Liked: 6684
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I came from plasma Panasonic and Samsung and have never looked back , oled is a definite upgrade imo . A lot of naysayers around but I have not thought about going back even once .
Yep OLED here, unless a LED is a steel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13622 of 21722 Old 03-22-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked: 659
New firmware 04.10.40 is up on the Korean lg site.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #13623 of 21722 Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
New firmware 04.10.40 is up on the Korean lg site.
It's the same as the one they just released for American TVs

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13624 of 21722 Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been re-watching Game of Thrones in preparation for season 8 and lamenting the lack of HDR. Overall the picture is too dark, with crushed blacks and dim faces. On normal TV the HDR Effect picture mode is awful, but with GoT on the "light" setting it transforms GoT to the point where it looks like it was shot in HDR, at least on seasons 6 & 7 which I've been watching. Remarkable really.
rdgcss and mrtickleuk like this.

LG C8, TiVo Bolt, ASRock Vision 3D HTPC

Last edited by WPWoodJr; 03-22-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #13625 of 21722 Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Okay, maybe some of the audio guy's here can answer 1 question for me, if they decide. I will spell it it out as clearly as I can.

I have all my sources hooked directly to my AVR via HDMI and 1 optical{PC, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, LG UBK90, and Directv}. I have 1 HDMI going from the the AVR to the ARC{hdmi 2} input of the C8. I have all things that have settings for all devices for ARC and CEC, turned completely off, including the Dolby Atmos sound system. I have an optical going from TV to AVR for my PC. When I am playing Dolby Atmos content and other audio codecs as well, they show up correctly via the AVR. I am wondering since there is an HDMI cable going to the tv, am I actually getting the correct audio content, or am I getting another format because the C8 is involved and I am basically using the AVR as an HDMI hub?
post #13626 of 21722 Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Okay, maybe some of the audio guy's here can answer 1 question for me, if they decide. I will spell it it out as clearly as I can.

I have all my sources hooked directly to my AVR via HDMI and 1 optical{PC, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, LG UBK90, and Directv}. I have 1 HDMI going from the the AVR to the ARC{hdmi 2} input of the C8. I have all things that have settings for all devices for ARC and CEC, turned completely off, including the Dolby Atmos sound system. I have an optical going from TV to AVR for my PC. When I am playing Dolby Atmos content and other audio codecs as well, they show up correctly via the AVR. I am wondering since there is an HDMI cable going to the tv, am I actually getting the correct audio content, or am I getting another format because the C8 is involved and I am basically using the AVR as an HDMI hub?

That's a bit confusing. Most of us use the receiver as the hub of our HTS. In other words, all devices connect to the receiver first with a single HDMI cable going to the tv for video. No issues with audio regardless of source because the receiver does all of the decoding. If you don't use ARC, then you can run an optical cable from the tv to the receiver for SmartApps audio but you will be limited to 5.1 and lossy Atmos. Current ARC is not capable of lossless Atmos or HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc).

For example, I have ARC/CEC disabled on all of my HDMI connected devices (ATV4k, UBK90). As a side note, you can't disable CEC on the UBK90 but as long as ARC/CEC is disabled on the C8 you're ok. I connect the Comcast STB (legacy box, 1080 only) directly to the C8 so I can disable Deep Color on that input because the legacy Comcast STB has issues with Deep Color. I then use an optical cable from the C8 to the receiver for Comcast local HDTV audio, which is limited to 5.1. So, any audio format presented via the UBK90 or the ATV4k are presented as encoded and only the video is sent to the C8.

Being as ARC/CEC is disabled on all of my devices, I use a Harmony remote for single remote control of my system.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #13627 of 21722 Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I had a chance to test out SDR content after the firmware update and I am VERY pleased at what I am seeing. Watching Xfinity content and so far I am not noticing the blockiness that I had seen before in low light scenes from various channels. I also tested Bluray content from several concert Blurays that I have and compared scenes that I noticed previously had issues and now they are rendering wonderfully. At least for my set I am very happy with the firmware update with SDR. Kudos to LG for addressing the issue as my C8 now behaves like I expected an OLED to behave in low light scenes. This coming from a current Pioneer 151 owner and ex LG B7A and Pioneer 500M owner.
calfcramp, SL600, Cam1977 and 2 others like this.
post #13628 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
This is kind of off-topic relative to the recent discussions, but thought that I'd share this.

I've never been very happy with the up-scaling and motion handling of my 65" C8 on compressed 780p content from Comcast. It just did not look good.

I decided to give the DarbeeVision DVP-5000S a try on that HDMI input

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After a week of living with it and doing some A/B with the "Demo" mode on the unit, I'm very pleased. The Darbee has very noticeably improved the picture on this low-quality cable content that the TV has to upscale.

Edit: I use it in the HD mode at the 30% setting. The 35% setting is the one usually recommended, but I found that 35% made the picture look a bit over-processed. 30% was the best.
Hi Pwiss,
Have you ever gone into your xfinitys settings and chosen to choose the highest quality picture possible? You can actually get Xfinity in 1080p if you choose that. The xfinity workers who set it up usually don't do it right.

Kim
post #13629 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceS View Post
Not an expert in this by any means, but you cannot get Atmos over optical, so if your tv sound is set up over optical, it cannot deliver atmos.
Thanks, I took out the toslink from the receiver and I figured out how to get sound through the HDMI Arc. Now I'm able to get lossy Atmos on my blu rays and other content that supports it.

The current problem I'm facing now is that I can't get sound when playing smart hub apps. I am using a logitech controller and when I choose the 'Watch Smart TV' function the cable tv starts along with the programs audio. When I choose a smart home app the cable tv audio remains and the smart home app audio does not come on. I'd like to use this instead of a roku since LG allows playback of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos in all of the content that supports it, unlike Roku and Amazon Fire Stick.
I'm wondering if you guys have experienced this or know what to do. This is what my 'Watch Smart TV' activity looks like.

1) LG TV Power On
2) Yamaha AV Receiver Power On
3) LG TV Input Smart TV
4) Yamaha AV Receiver HDMI Out

Yamaha Receiver Setup on RX-A780.

1) HDMI Out 1 - HDMI 2 (ARC) from TV to Yamaha Receiver HDMI Out 1
2) HDMI Out 2 - HDMI output from Xfinity box to Yamaha Receiver HDMI Out 2
3) HDMI Out 3 - HDMI output from Xbox One X to Yamaha Receiver HDMI Out 3

Kim
post #13630 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3776
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Pwiss,

Have you ever gone into your xfinitys settings and chosen to choose the highest quality picture possible? You can actually get Xfinity in 1080p if you choose that. The xfinity workers who set it up usually don't do it right.

That’s not true 1080p you are just causing the cable box to do the upscaling . My guess is the lg would do a better job of upscaling so you should set it to native if that setting is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2

Last edited by chunon; 03-23-2019 at 04:59 AM.
post #13631 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I took out the toslink from the receiver and I figured out how to get sound through the HDMI Arc. Now I'm able to get lossy Atmos on my blu rays and other content that supports it.

The current problem I'm facing now is that I can't get sound when playing smart hub apps. I am using a logitech controller and when I choose the 'Watch Smart TV' function the cable tv starts along with the programs audio. When I choose a smart home app the cable tv audio remains and the smart home app audio does not come on. I'd like to use this instead of a roku since LG allows playback of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos in all of the content that supports it, unlike Roku and Amazon Fire Stick.
I'm wondering if you guys have experienced this or know what to do. This is what my 'Watch Smart TV' activity looks like.

1) LG TV Power On
3) LG TV Input Smart TV

Do you know if there is any talk about a firmware update for eArc. It would be nice to be able to get lossless Atmos. A lot of receivers are getting a firmware update.

Kim
post #13632 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

1) LG TV Power On
3) LG TV Input Smart TV

I have a problem with the audio somewhat the same. I have the Yamaha 3070 and harmony remote. I have Lindy cec-less adapters plugged into my cable box, which helped a lot, and my installer also programmed the commands "cable audio" and "tv audio" into my harmony under each appropriate activity. If the audio is silent (which is what I get), I just hit the button on the Harmony and it comes right on. On my setup, it seems that if I go to the tv sound FIRST and then to something else all is fine. ARC is a touchy setup, but I have 7.4.1 and everything I listen to MAKES IT WORTH THE WORK!!
post #13633 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I have a problem with the audio somewhat the same. I have the Yamaha 3070 and harmony remote. I have Lindy cec-less adapters plugged into my cable box, which helped a lot, and my installer also programmed the commands "cable audio" and "tv audio" into my harmony under each appropriate activity. If the audio is silent (which is what I get), I just hit the button on the Harmony and it comes right on. On my setup, it seems that if I go to the tv sound FIRST and then to something else all is fine. ARC is a touchy setup, but I have 7.4.1 and everything I listen to MAKES IT WORTH THE WORK!!
Hi joyce,
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me what the entire start sequence is for your smart tv harmony activity is? I'm curious to how the cable audio stops playing. It would be a great help. I have a 5.1.2 setup. I just got the LG tv from a friend who owns an electronics store for a big discount on top of the 'lets get rid of everything to clear space for 2019 tv sale' due to inviting him to a bunch of football games. Since the 65c8 is so highly rated I figured I'd do the rest of the home theater setup with in the wall cable concealment from a home theater professional.
I decided to buy an xbox one x for the 4k blu ray player and so I could still be a big kid to some degree, but I didn't know that Xbox one x doesn't have all of their apps in dolby vision (amazon, vudu) including their 4k blu ray dvd. I want to stream the movies I have in Dolby Vision and play it in Atmos whether lossy or not on the LG smart hub.
I really appreciate all of the help. I just started going on this forum but I think I want to be a regular to expand my knowledge. Thanks!
post #13634 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Hi joyce,
Thanks for the response. Can you tell me what the entire start sequence is for your smart tv harmony activity is? I'm curious to how the cable audio stops playing. It would be a great help. I have a 5.1.2 setup. I just got the LG tv from a friend who owns an electronics store for a big discount on top of the 'lets get rid of everything to clear space for 2019 tv sale' due to inviting him to a bunch of football games. Since the 65c8 is so highly rated I figured I'd do the rest of the home theater setup with in the wall cable concealment from a home theater professional.
I decided to buy an xbox one x for the 4k blu ray player and so I could still be a big kid to some degree, but I didn't know that Xbox one x doesn't have all of their apps in dolby vision (amazon, vudu) including their 4k blu ray dvd. I want to stream the movies I have in Dolby Vision and play it in Atmos whether lossy or not on the LG smart hub.
I really appreciate all of the help. I just started going on this forum but I think I want to be a regular to expand my knowledge. Thanks!
On Harmony, I have the tv enabled on hdmi 2 (arc port) and the Yamaha enabled on audio 1, which is the arc port. Everything on my Yamaha goes through audio 1 to the arc port on tv. For cable, I have the tv and Yamaha at the same settings and add in the cable box with the proper av # it is attached to (in my case AV port 3). I will say that before I got the Lindy cec-less adapters I had a LOT more problems. It does not bother me now to hit an extra button on my Harmony to sometimes correct the audio.
post #13635 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Hi Pwiss,

I don't use the Comcast junk. I have my own cable box, enabled by a Comcast cable card.
post #13636 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I was hoping C8 Prices would have dropped more by now, but I guess this might happen when C9 becomes available in the uk.

I was thinking about buying a 55inch C8 for my brother. However, Just seen a 55inch C7 on ebay uk for £499 which is calibrated and seller states has good uniformity. I might consider it, but have to travel to West London as it is collection only.

What are c8 prices like in usa?
post #13637 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
On Harmony, I have the tv enabled on hdmi 2 (arc port) and the Yamaha enabled on audio 1, which is the arc port. Everything on my Yamaha goes through audio 1 to the arc port on tv. For cable, I have the tv and Yamaha at the same settings and add in the cable box with the proper av # it is attached to (in my case AV port 3). I will say that before I got the Lindy cec-less adapters I had a LOT more problems. It does not bother me now to hit an extra button on my Harmony to sometimes correct the audio.
Hi,
Is your audio 1 the hdmi cable. I have my hdmi cable hooked up from the LG tv's hdmi 2 arch port to the receivers hdmi out 1. The problem is I don't know how to get the sound from the hdmi cord. Are you using a toslink as well and getting the smart tv's sound from that?

Kim
post #13638 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
ARC, at present, is only capable of delivering lossy Atmos, regardless of the tv mfr. eARC, once available, is supposed to be able to deliver lossless Atmos as well as HD Audio. It's not a limitation of the tv, it's a limitation of ARC.
Quote:
Thanks for the input. That's what I read but I wasn't sure since the home theater professional connected the HDMI to the receiver as well. Is there a way to get non lossy dolby atmos from this tv. I've read that you need to use the HDMI Arc port (HDMI2) to connect the HDMI to the receiver if you want Atmos but there is a degradation of sound quality. Thanks!
Quote:

1) LG TV Power On
3) LG TV Input Smart TV

Your post doesn't make sense to me. Why would you be getting lossy atmos from your blue rays? Do you have your player connected to your TV instead of to your AVR? If connected to your AVR via HDMI you should be getting full ATMOS if it is on the disk not lossy ATMOS. The lossy limitation is only with sound coming from your TV to your AVR via ARC. (Which really isn't much of an issue because I believe the internal Netflix/Hulu apps on the LG only have lossy atmos being streamed to them anyway. Where it does come into play is if you are using the Plex app on the LG or USB connected files connected to the TV they will only play back in lossy to the AVR, vs if it had eArc then you could get the full atmos.)

Regarding your specific question, where the TV is showing your HUB program, but the Receiver is still playing the cable audio. Your Receiver input needs to change to TV, at least that is the setting for my Pioneer receiver. I believe that is your issue.

Also you need to have ARC and HDMI Out 1 turned on I would think in your receiver settings.

Edit: also adding that I have a Logitech hub as well. Is that what you have, when you say you have the controller?

Just want to say you may experience issues since you have ARC turned on. At least with my Pioneer this also turns on CEC. So when I choose the watch DirecTV activity, it switches activity to the DirecTV input, but then the damn LG 4K player or Nvidia Shield take over and switch the LG receiver input back to them. So I added a delay to the Watch DirecTV activity and switch input back to DirecTV again. In my case these two componenets, LG 4K player and Nvidia Shield cannot turn off CEC, so they auto switch input on my AVR.

Last edited by RonBonnell; 03-23-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #13639 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBonnell View Post
Your post doesn't make sense to me. Why would you be getting lossy atmos from your blue rays? Do you have your player connected to your TV instead of to your AVR? If connected to your AVR via HDMI you should be getting full ATMOS if it is on the disk not lossy ATMOS. The lossy limitation is only with sound coming from your TV to your AVR via ARC. (Which really isn't much of an issue because I believe the internal Netflix/Hulu apps on the LG only have lossy atmos being streamed to them anyway. Where it does come into play is if you are using the Plex app on the LG or USB connected files connected to the TV they will only play back in lossy to the AVR, vs if it had eArc then you could get the full atmos.)

Regarding your specific question, where the TV is showing your HUB program, but the Receiver is still playing the cable audio. Your Receiver input needs to change to TV, at least that is the setting for my Pioneer receiver. I believe that is your issue.

Also you need to have ARC and HDMI Out 1 turned on I would think in your receiver settings.
Yeah, that's why I said the OP's post was confusing to me. Optical out from the C8 to my Yamaha A-780 works just fine for Comcast tv audio and would work just fine for the SmartApps if I chose to use them (with ARC disabled). My guess is that either the receiver is not setup correctly (I use Audio 1 on the A-780 for the optical connection), the connections are not correct, or the HUB is not setup properly. If ARC is to be used, then do not connect an optical cable unless you need it for another device and only need 5.1 audio.

post #13640 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4893 Post(s)
Liked: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
What are c8 prices like in usa?
May I gently remind you of the last 3 words of the thread title.
Otto Pylot and calfcramp like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #13641 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If you're using a Harmony remote to control your system (as I do) then you should be disabling CEC so you don't have input-switching issues. If you need ARC (I don't), then you can leave ARC enabled on your systems and use the Lindy CECless Adapter to disable CEC for that input. Keep in mind that some devices do not allow for individual control of ARC/CEC so you either disable or enable both. The Lindy adapter does seem to work well for some, for others not so much.
Or another option with the Harmony Hub, is to add a delay and then switch back to the input you wanted again. This is what I do for now before shelling out a few more dollars for Lindy CEC adapters.
post #13642 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:23 AM

I DO understand him (I think). His receiver is processing Atmos from various sources, but since his TV is hooked up through optical, he is not getting atmos through the smart apps on the TV. I have a 7.4.1 atmos system. I have an HDMI from audio 1 on Yamaha (arc port) to hdmi 2 on tv (arc port) and get atmos just fine through Netflix, etc. from TV. You may need to correct the audio setting on the tv if it is set for optical.
post #13643 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBonnell View Post
Or another option with the Harmony Hub, is to add a delay and then switch back to the input you wanted again. This is what I do for now before shelling out a few more dollars for Lindy CEC adapters.

That would work too.

post #13644 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
After updating. Gamma by default in 2.2, brightness adjusted correctly, the Ire 5 shows a gamma 2.9 until it drops to 2.3 in the 25th. Can someone explain to me, what are these types of LG thinking about ?????? I have enough knowledge and material to repair this, but most people do not. Do you spend a lot of money on a TV to see crushed blacks ????? if you do not adjust the gamma correctly, after the update, the image is a disaster, no detail is distinguished in the shadows. I can not believe that LG has done this.
Make73 likes this.
post #13645 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I DO understand him (I think). His receiver is processing Atmos from various sources, but since his TV is hooked up through optical, he is not getting atmos through the smart apps on the TV. I have a 7.4.1 atmos system. I have an HDMI from audio 1 on Yamaha (arc port) to hdmi 2 on tv (arc port) and get atmos just fine through Netflix, etc. from TV. You may need to correct the audio setting on the tv if it is set for optical.

Yes, sort of. The C8 can not send Atmos via ARC from the SmartApps. That's the current limitation of ARC. As I mentioned, I use Audio 1 on the A-780 receiver for the optical connection and have my C8 configured to disable the internal speakers and use optical out. That works perfectly for Comcast HDTV (local tv stations only, with a direct connection from the STB to the C8) and would work just fine for the SmartApps. Both cases would result in 5.1 only. For lossy Atmos via the SmartApps he would need to use ARC out and ARC in from the C8 to the receiver. If he uses ARC, then I don't see a need to use an optical cable. However, if he doesn't have the ability for separate control of ARC and CEC on all of his HDMI connected devices, he could end up with a source selection issue due to CEC incompatibility (which is very common). CEC issues can also affect ARC at times and the hassle is just not worth it to me. I don't have long HDMI cable runs so there really isn't a need for me to use ARC/CEC.
calfcramp likes this.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 03-23-2019 at 09:43 AM.
post #13646 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
I don't use the Comcast junk. I have my own cable box, enabled by a Comcast cable card.

I have a Comcast legacy STB (1080 only) that is connected directly to my C8. The C8 does all of the upscaling and pq is suprisingly good, depending on the network. I use it for local HDTV stations only. Audio out is via an optical because 5.1 is the best cable can do at present. All other viewing (streaming, etc) is done via the ATV4k. I have a similar setup for the downstairs HTS, which is an older LCD tv and pq is exceptional for local HDTV stations as well.

post #13647 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, sort of. The C8 can not send Atmos via ARC from the SmartApps. That's the current limitation of ARC. As I mentioned, I use Audio 1 on the A-780 receiver for the optical connection and have my C8 configured to disable the internal speakers and use optical out. That works perfectly for Comcast HDTV (local tv stations only, with a direct connection from the STB to the C8) and would work just fine for the SmartApps. Both cases would result in 5.1 only. For lossy Atmos via the SmartApps he would need to use ARC out and ARC in from the C8 to the receiver. If he uses ARC, then I don't see a need to use an optical cable. However, if he doesn't have the ability for separate control of ARC and CEC on all of his HDMI connected devices, he could end up with a source selection issue due to CEC incompatibility (which is very common). CEC issues can also affect ARC at times and the hassle is just not worth it to me. I don't have long HDMI cable runs so there really isn't a need for me to use ARC/CEC.
All I can tell you is my smartapps read "dolbyatmos" on my Yamaha when playing through ARC channel, and my ceiling speakers produce amazing ATMOS sound. I use cec-less adapters on all devices. I agree he must use the arc in and out of the tv. Maybe he just has to change audio setting on tv....I can't remember whether optical is a different setting on the C8.
post #13648 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You talking about Kimmyang's post? No, he is saying he is not getting sound at all from the smart apps, which from his set up looks like AVR isn't set to TV input from ARC. He no longer has optical hooked up. As I said, I think it is that he doesn't have AVR input changed to TV in his Watch Smart TV activity. Just not sure why he said he is getting "lossy" Atmos sound from Blue Ray and other components now. To have it limited to lossy he would need to be going through his TV to the AVR from the blue ray, etc, but then it wouldn't make sense that he was getting sound from them, but not from the internal apps.
post #13649 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Hi, I did change it to HDMI Arc. Thanks for all the help btw! I eventually figured it out by googling. I turned the HDMI control on to audio1. I can't tell if I'm getting Dolby Atmos though through the Dolby Access apps and the Amazon one though. The Yamaha RX-A780 just says Audio1. The sound is good!

Kim
post #13650 of 21722 Old 03-23-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
All I can tell you is my smartapps read "dolbyatmos" on my Yamaha when playing through ARC channel, and my ceiling speakers produce amazing ATMOS sound. I use cec-less adapters on all devices. I agree he must use the arc in and out of the tv. Maybe he just has to change audio setting on tv....I can't remember whether optical is a different setting on the C8.

Yes, if you have ARC enabled then you will get lossy Atmos via the SmartApps from the C8 to the receiver. If you don't have ARC enabled and attempt to do that with an optical cable, you won't get Atmos. Optical is a setting on the C8 and I use it. To get lossless Atmos, you will need to go thru the receiver with an external device such as an ATV4k, Roku, etc. so the receiver can properly decode the audio streams. ARC currently is limited to lossy Atmos only on most systems due to the HDMI chipset versions. eARC (part of the HDMI 2.1 chipset hardware) is supposed to deliver lossless Atmos as well as HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc). The Lindy adapters do seem to work well for most folks in disabling the CEC commands without affecting ARC, but not in all cases.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page