2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80745Likes

post #13681 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsushi View Post
So I had my TV calibrated by Chad B and still have all the settings from that calibration..If I downloaded this update and put those settings back in would it be close to what I have it now or does this firmware update change everything so dramatically that those settings wouldn't be accurate anymore?

It will change your calibration. The sdr and Dolby Vision moves lots on mine after the update. The HDR didn’t move much though. My friend is calibrating mine again now. I would hold off until chad can do a touch up for you. You would think that LG would give a warning saying when updates change the picture.
calfcramp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13682 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
I'd wager that the vast majority of those who noticed the flashing black macroblocks own neither a meter, nor calman. I know I didn't, yet I clearly had the flashing near-black macroblocking.

It seems odd to blame Calman.

I thought I read that you can revert to a prior firmware if you use the Android app.
It has been documented that Calman autocal cause artifacts. As DNice has said Calman needs to redo its color engine, still using it's old color engine for 3DLUT's.

Don't know about Android app and don't care. It has been 6 months since I last calibrated my C8 and the results are what was expected. So now I'm fine with the new update. But I understand that there are very few that can do what I can do because of the software and hardware I use. So if you are willing to take a chance use the Android app and report back on how it worked so others can go back.

ss
calfcramp likes this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #13683 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 330
So I wonder what happened to a thread that had only 5-10 posts a day. I guess someone issued a new update and another complained about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13684 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtripleone View Post
It will change your calibration. The sdr and Dolby Vision moves lots on mine after the update. The HDR didn’t move much though. My friend is calibrating mine again now. I would hold off until chad can do a touch up for you. You would think that LG would give a warning saying when updates change the picture.

Thank you..not gonna update when it's available for me..Also waiting on Vincent's video on the update
post #13685 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
It has been documented that Calman autocal cause artifacts.
"Artifacts". . . is that to be used interchangeably now with the very specific near-black macroblocking issue that many were noticing who never touched Calman, ever?

Quote:
As DNice has said Calman needs to redo its color engine, still using it's old color engine for 3DLUT's.
Okay. . . but that doesn't explain how Calman would be to blame for something many people who have never calibrated their TVs are noticing.

Quote:
Don't know about Android app and don't care.
People who want to revert their firmware do care. So telling them it's impossible when it is in fact possible seemed worth a correction.

--H
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #13686 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
"Artifacts". . . is that to be used interchangeably now with the very specific near-black macroblocking issue that many were noticing who never touched Calman, ever?

Okay. . . but that doesn't explain how Calman would be to blame for something many people who have never calibrated their TVs are noticing.

People who want to revert their firmware do care. So telling them it's impossible when it is in fact possible seemed worth a correction.

--H

Many of the things ss is mentioning is geared towards people that have calibrated sets. So if you don't have a calibrated set imagine what is being talked about doesn't apply. For everyone else with uncalibrated sets, raise brightness until your shadow detail returns.

Autocal with calman especially in their first release introduced banding and other issues. Even when that is corrected there are still other areas that need addressing. Large luts seem to have issues with yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.
post #13687 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsushi View Post
So I had my TV calibrated by Chad B and still have all the settings from that calibration..If I downloaded this update and put those settings back in would it be close to what I have it now or does this firmware update change everything so dramatically that those settings wouldn't be accurate anymore?
If you haven't updated the firmware leave well enough alone. If not, as long as Chad uses his K10-A and Jeti 1211 you may want to have him use his new copy of LightSpace once he learns how to use it for a 1/3DLUT

ss
calfcramp, sadsushi and Cam1977 like this.

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
post #13688 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yes, if you don't change the label, the TV won't decode 4:4:4 YCbCr properly.
Bummer, when I change the label to PC, I lose all motion settings except black frame insertion (motion pro). That's a no-go for me.

--H
post #13689 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
The black level option is for when you are sending the TV RGB, to tell it whether the video signal within the RGB is
"full/high" (0-255)
or
"limited/low" (16-235).

My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will ) is this:

computer levels are 0 - 255 (black at 0, white at 255)

video levels are 16-235 (black at 16, white at 235)

I have my ATV4k set to YCbCr and 4:2:0. PQ is gorgeous.
mrtickleuk likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #13690 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When calibrating you should be able to at least lessen the effects of macroblocking, Calman's 3DLUT doesn't lessen those effects.

Quote:

Have you used the "Android app" do you know if it works properly, have you used that app"??? Until I see and use a app or see the documented prove that it works and it doesn't screw up are C8's, of course I am not going to recommend any 3dr party app. So as far as I know I can't roll back.
I'm sure some may want to roll back, but in my case I can fix the issues so I don't care. I'm sorry if me being frank about my feelings upset you.
--H[/quote]

"Don't worry be happy"
post #13691 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Okay, I took delivery of my 77C8 two days ago but I had to leave for Minneapolis immediately afterwards so I just started playing with it last night. I'm going to give you a link to some of my first impressions that I gave to my fellow-members on the Blu-ray PQ Discussion Thread. I should add here that the set was manufactured in November of 2018 and it came with the new Firmware Update. (When was it actually released?)

When I refer, in my linked post, to the 940D, I'm talking about a 2016 Sony LCD/LED (for those who may not know). The processor for up-scaling is definitely better on the Sony, though "Dish Network" (which I use) may be another factor for the less-than-stellar satellite broadcasts.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...l#post57792280

BTW, so far I really like the LG UBK90 UHD Blu-ray player. It loads fast and has remarkable PQ, both with HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
Cool. Are you able to get Dolby Atmos with it? I just want to make sure if I get that one I can still get it.

Kim
post #13692 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Have you used the "Android app" do you know if it works properly, have you used that app"??? Until I see and use a app or see the documented prove that it works and it doesn't screw up are C8's, of course I am not going to recommend any 3dr party app. So as far as I know I can't roll back.
I'm sure some may want to roll back, but in my case I can fix the issues so I don't care. I'm sorry if me being frank about my feelings upset you.
You being "frank about your feelings" didn't upset me. Your telling people unequivocally that there is no way to revert to a prior version of the firmware when such an ability has been repeatedly mentioned (and one person is documented to have done it even after this most recent firmware release) merely warranted a correction.

Is it so hard to say "Oh, I didn't realize that was possible?" It looks a lot better than the above.

--H
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Hurin; 03-23-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #13693 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Very little artifacts next to none. That's why I use LightSpace to run a 9461 point profile (3DLUT) not Calman. I do use Calman to run the 1DLUT grayscale 26 point rolling.

Imho Calman and some streaming video is to blame for the artifacts.

ss

Aren’t there differences in recommenced contrast settings between LightSpace and Calman . 100 in Ls and 85 in Calman how do you reconcile the two ? Also are you profiling in each app or using a common meter profile ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #13694 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You being "frank about your feelings" didn't upset me. Your telling people unequivocally that there is no way to revert to a prior version of the firmware when such an ability has been repeatedly mentioned (and one person is documented to have done it even after this most recent firmware release) merely warranted a correction.

Is it so hard to say "Oh, I didn't realize that was possible?" It looks a lot better than the above.

--H
What I was saying is I "can't roll back", I simply reprofiled my C8.
Never said impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Aren’t there differences in recommenced contrast settings between LightSpace and Calman . 100 in Ls and 85 in Calman how do you reconcile the two ? Also are you profiling in each app or using a common meter profile ?

If you are talking about SDR 3DLUT, I simply use 85 contrast setting in the C8. I'm not sure why you are suggesting that you can only use 100 brightness setting for LightSpace.
I use Chromasurf and Jeti LiVal along with Ted's disk WRGB patches, when I profile my K10-A. And yes I use the same meter profile for both LS and CM that I installed in the K10's memory. I would think the last thing you would want to do is use two different meter profiles for the same calibration.
I haven't had time to try LightSpace's new 1DLUT, so for now I just use CM for the 1DLUT and to input the 3DLUT from LS.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
post #13695 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Never said impossible.

If you are talking about SDR 3DLUT, I simply use 85 contrast setting in the C8. I'm not sure why you are suggesting that you can only use 100 brightness setting for LightSpace.

I use Chromasurf and Jeti LiVal along with Ted's disk WRGB patches, when I profile my K10-A. And yes I use the same meter profile for both LS and CM that I installed in the K10's memory. I would think the last thing you would want to do is use two different meter profiles for the same calibration.

I haven't had time to try LightSpace's new 1DLUT, so for now I just use CM for the 1DLUT and to input the 3DLUT from LS.

ss

I am a LightSpace noob just thought that was the recommendation , I have a C6 and i1pro2 so not sure how I would pull off the one profile.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #13696 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I have the LG UBK90 UHD/Blu-ray player which is HDR10/DV capable. It doesn't have all the other bells and whistles that the higher end Panasonic UHD player has but it works beautifully with my C8 and costs a lot less than the Panasonic, which is an excellent UHD/Blu-ray player.
Thanks! I am looking for one with Dolby Vision though. I'm thinking of getting one if Microsoft doesn't release a firmware update for Blu Ray Dolby Vision. I think I'll wait another half year or so though or for the prices to go down pretty significantly.

Kim
post #13697 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Never said impossible.
I stand corrected and apologize. Having gone back to read the original post, I now see how that could be how you meant what you originally posted.
calfcramp likes this.
post #13698 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I am a LightSpace noob just thought that was the recommendation , I have a C6 and i1pro2 so not sure how I would pull off the one profile.

LightSpace is now able to do a 1DLUT (Grayscale) that can be inputted directly from LS, so if that works you only need one meter profile and one software.
Or have your friend Chad stop by and use his 1211 and K10 as I laid out how to do the meter profile. Or try a meter profile with CM and one profile with LS and compare the x,y and Y readings. If the meter corrections x,y and Y are close, it probably would be worth a shot and see how well the calibration come out using LS meter profile to run tests on your new calibration.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
post #13699 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Never said impossible.

ss
Hey, Do you guys think it is worth getting a professional calibration. I copied the calibration from rtings and flatpanelshd. Would it make a big difference? I used the below.

http://best-tv-settings.com/tv-settings-lg-oled-c8/

Kim
post #13700 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
LightSpace is now able to do a 1DLUT (Grayscale) that can be inputted directly from LS, so if that works you only need one meter profile and one software.

Or have your friend Chad stop by and use his 1211 and K10 as I laid out how to do the meter profile. Or try a meter profile with CM and one profile with LS and compare the x,y and Y readings. If the meter corrections x,y and Y are close, it probably would be worth a shot and see how well the calibration come out using LS meter profile to run tests on your new calibration.

ss

As far as I know the lg template for the 1d lut is not available as of yet. Thanks for the info

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #13701 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I’m getting lossless atmos with the ub820 blu day player connected via hdmi to my C8 with cec enabled and bitstream right? It shows as so just paranoid with all of this lossless atmos talk. Lol
post #13702 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey, Do you guys think it is worth getting a professional calibration. I copied the calibration from rtings and flatpanelshd. Would it make a big difference? I used the below.

http://best-tv-settings.com/tv-settings-lg-oled-c8/

Yes, every tv is different. Copying settings might even make your tv worse. No way to tell unless you have a meter.
post #13703 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Quote:
Cool. Are you able to get Dolby Atmos with it? I just want to make sure if I get that one I can still get it.
Yes! I watched a few UHD Blu-rays last night with Dolby Atmos. Here is a post I made on the LG UBK90 Owners' Thread describing how impressed I am with it. The price is excellent at most of the "usual places."

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...l#post57793078
calfcramp and chunon like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #13704 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Even with the new patch my tv still comes out of black weird. At the start of the movie if it fades in you can see the pixels get to bright at first. This is in hdr I’ve noticed it most. It seems pretty much fixed for none hdr but hdr still shows the flashing. Hopefully another update will clean up the hdr as well.

Last edited by Adamd; 03-23-2019 at 08:28 PM.
post #13705 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
After the recent FW update I’m also experiencing a bit of black crush. Granted, I don’t have it calibrated or a meter but it was noticeable. Prior, I really liked the RTings settings and still use them. For those who have done the update, to get it back as close as it was before, do I just bump the brightness from 50 to 52-53? Any other settings I should mess with and would this be for all content, HDR, DV, SDR?
I do have the Disney WOW disc if that would help, I just really don’t know how to use it.
Thanks!
post #13706 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Thanks! I am looking for one with Dolby Vision though. I'm thinking of getting one if Microsoft doesn't release a firmware update for Blu Ray Dolby Vision. I think I'll wait another half year or so though or for the prices to go down pretty significantly.
Hello? DV is Dolby Vision. The UBK90 is HDR10 and Dolby Vision capable. You can't beat the price of the UBK90 for a UHD HDR10/Dolby Vision player unless you go up to the Panasonic model, which is really good but really expensive.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #13707 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That's a bit confusing. Most of us use the receiver as the hub of our HTS. In other words, all devices connect to the receiver first with a single HDMI cable going to the tv for video. No issues with audio regardless of source because the receiver does all of the decoding. If you don't use ARC, then you can run an optical cable from the tv to the receiver for SmartApps audio but you will be limited to 5.1 and lossy Atmos. Current ARC is not capable of lossless Atmos or HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc).

For example, I have ARC/CEC disabled on all of my HDMI connected devices (ATV4k, UBK90). As a side note, you can't disable CEC on the UBK90 but as long as ARC/CEC is disabled on the C8 you're ok. I connect the Comcast STB (legacy box, 1080 only) directly to the C8 so I can disable Deep Color on that input because the legacy Comcast STB has issues with Deep Color. I then use an optical cable from the C8 to the receiver for Comcast local HDTV audio, which is limited to 5.1. So, any audio format presented via the UBK90 or the ATV4k are presented as encoded and only the video is sent to the C8.

Being as ARC/CEC is disabled on all of my devices, I use a Harmony remote for single remote control of my system.
A bit confusing? I don't know if you meant that in a confusing way to read or confusing way to have it setup as that. I am using it as a hub, basically doing exactly what you are, other than the Comcast STB if I am reading correctly. So the answer to my question, is yes? The TV is not interfering with the audio and only decoding the video?

Right now, I use 4 remotes, lol. I had the Harmony 650 before, but it was a nightmare.
post #13708 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
After the recent FW update I’m also experiencing a bit of black crush. Granted, I don’t have it calibrated or a meter but it was noticeable. Prior, I really liked the RTings settings and still use them. For those who have done the update, to get it back as close as it was before, do I just bump the brightness from 50 to 52-53? Any other settings I should mess with and would this be for all content, HDR, DV, SDR?

I do have the Disney WOW disc if that would help, I just really don’t know how to use it.

Thanks!

I was also using RTINGS settings prior to the update. After the update I had to change gamma to 1.9 and bump brightness to 54. I normally keep my OLED light at 41. I think it’s close now to where it was before but I’m still playing around with it.

post #13709 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtripleone View Post
You would think they would, the good news is most updates do not effect the picture settings.
post #13710 of 21660 Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Anyone have the 4.10.15 firmware to download just in case this new one misbehaves

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page