2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 475 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81606Likes

post #14221 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked: 2697
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
I noticed the contouring as well jk82. You can see it very well with the opening scene of Game of Thrones season 2 episode 9 using HBO Go app on Apple TV 4k. The Blu-ray version of that scene is clean.

Does anyone know of an email address for LG OLED support, I hate having to talk to any tech support folks. (Yes, it is plugged in to a working outlet.)

LeRoy

Interesting. I've left MPEG and Noise Reduction off and have never had any contouring. Of course, I haven't updated yet either. I know on the Cinema Home DV default settings, both of those are set to low. I'm beginning to think I might want to skip this update being as I haven't had any perceived issues so far with any source.
djoberg likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14222 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoyK View Post
Does anyone know of an email address for LG OLED support, I hate having to talk to any tech support folks. (Yes, it is plugged in to a working outlet.)

You can write them here:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/email-appointment

They just replied with pointless things like a step by step guide on where to see what firmware version is installed on the TV, even though I mentioned specifically that the mpeg-noise-reduction setting stopped working with the newest 04.10.31 firmware.

But maybe if more people do this they will forward it to some higher ranks...
post #14223 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
^^^^^^

You (Otto) said to me recently concerning something I declined to do (i.e. have Best Buy calibrate my display), "Good move!" Now I say to you regarding NOT doing the update, "Good move."

I said earlier that my display, which I received less than two weeks ago, came with the new update. I may be mistaken for I wasn't with the Geek Squad the first 15 minutes when they were unpacking and setting up my 77C8. They might have done the update at that time. Had I known what I know now about the update, I would have waited to see if I had the problem with "flashing." If I didn't, I would left well enough alone!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14224 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
No apologies necessary. Some of these threads can be very long, and maybe a bit contentious at times, so if you're new, just ask away. Connecting the ATV4k to a receiver will allow you to experience HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc) and lossless Atmos (if you're setup for that). The C8 can only pass 5.1 and lossy Atmos via ARC. Using and optical only passes 5.1. PQ is probably the same but in my experience (and testing) I felt the ATV4k had a better picture.
Thanks for the advice.
I haven’t been super impressed with the 4K picture quality on the c8 Netflix app. I might give the A 4K TV a shot.
Thanks again!
post #14225 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:06 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked: 7190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
From what I’ve seen on my tv it’s not solved 100%. I would say it’s 80-90% better and does not do it in most scenes anymore. When I changed the 2pt a lot more flashing came back.
You seeing any negatives?
post #14226 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^

You (Otto) said to me recently concerning something I declined to do (i.e. have Best Buy calibrate my display), "Good move!" Now I say to you regarding NOT doing the update, "Good move."

I said earlier that my display, which I received less than two weeks ago, came with the new update. I may be mistaken for I wasn't with the Geek Squad the first 15 minutes when they were unpacking and setting up my 77C8. They might have done the update at that time. Had I known what I know now about the update, I would have waited to see if I had the problem with "flashing." If I didn't, I would left well enough alone!

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about the update, especially after the supposed MPEG issue mentioned above. I have one of those "unicorn" C8's, as someone called it, in that I have not had any of the flashing, macroblocking and other issues that have been talked about ad naseum in this thread. I'm sure there are some issues if I went looking for them but to my eyes, with any source or viewing environment, I just don't see them. To be fair though, this is not my primary viewing tv. For that I have an older LG LCD downstairs which is used for about 90% of our viewing (cable network televison, ATV4 streaming of "non-critical" programs, etc). We use the C8 upstairs, via an ATV4k for major movies, HDR series, occasional network programming, etc. I do have some extensive notes on what to do after the update, if needed, but I think I'm going to sit tight for awhile longer to see what else shakes out. I just don't want to get too far behind in updates if another one comes within the next few weeks or months.

post #14227 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
You can write them here:
https://www.lg.com/us/support/email-appointment

They just replied with pointless things like a step by step guide on where to see what firmware version is installed on the TV, even though I mentioned specifically that the mpeg-noise-reduction setting stopped working with the newest 04.10.31 firmware.

But maybe if more people do this they will forward it to some higher ranks...
Thanks jk82

Sent my complaint off this afternoon. I hope it avoids that great bit bucket in the sky.

LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ920, Panasonic DP-UB820, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, AT&T Gigabit Internet & U-verse
post #14228 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You seeing any negatives?
I think the update was a good thing. I just don’t use the 2pt I used the 20pt bumped up the 5% to 9 and my tv looks way better then it did before the update.
3isRC likes this.
post #14229 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
Liked: 3243
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^

Just remember there are a lot of us that are happy with the update and not posting over and over like the few who aren't. It's made a huge difference for me and as far as crushed blacks go it was an easy fix with a few tweeks of IRE. By the way I've never seen banding like Jk82 posted on any type of content. Like others I tend to leave the processing controls "off."
calfcramp and ganzhimself like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #14230 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has Vincent Teoh come back yet recommending the install of this update?

The last I read was that he suggested holding off from installing it.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
post #14231 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
Has Vincent Teoh come back yet recommending the install of this update?

The last I read was that he suggested holding off from installing it.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
Check his Twitter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #14232 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
By the way I've never seen banding like Jk82 posted on any type of content. Like others I tend to leave the processing controls "off."

It's from the movie "The Man from Earth: Holocene" and one of the worst examples I've seen regarding color banding that's why I used it as an example to show the mpeg-noise-reduction setting last year. I still had the old pictures and just made new ones with 04.10.31 and yeah that setting does literally nothing now with any crappy content I tried.
gymnos likes this.
post #14233 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Check his Twitter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
He refers to calibrated TVs - due to the expense of a calibration, I guess - but I didn't notice anything giving the go ahead for uncalibrated TVs.
post #14234 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 5506 Post(s)
Liked: 7971
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinaz View Post
This is incredibly helpful, and thoughtful...thank you for posting this. I adjusted to these on my ISF (Bright and Dark) and Technicolor settings, and applied to all inputs. Without analyzing anything (yet), I figured I would just do this by default, and go from there.

Thanks again!
You are welcome I'm trying to cut down on the FAQs being posted here so next time someone asks how to do it, please refer them to that post with the picture!

Btw that level of "10" isn't worth copying, it's not my result after I did ant careful adjustments. It's just what it was happened to be set at when I took the picture.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #14235 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Just remember there are a lot of us that are happy with the update and not posting over and over like the few who aren't. It's made a huge difference for me and as far as crushed blacks go it was an easy fix with a few tweeks of IRE. By the way I've never seen banding like Jk82 posted on any type of content. Like others I tend to leave the processing controls "off."
Newbie question,

I just got the update and was attempting to make the few tweaks to the IRE as suggested in previous posts. I cannot tell from looking at the TV content but I may have made changes I did not intend to make as I got lost in the IRE and Luminance settings since I don't understand how they work or what they do. My bad for attempting it...

Someone in previous posts mentioned it is as easy as making a few tweaks to the IRE. This affected my luminance and I am not sure where that setting should end up so can someone list the steps to take to make these tweaks and what the end result should be.

Also am I correct in that this adjustment only affects the particular picture mode I am in when making the changes.

If all else fails how do I get the settings back to the way they were right after the update before I tweaked them.

Thanks
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #14236 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have big request - I need european 55C8PLA 04.10.15 update, someone help ?
post #14237 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
I doubt that is correct.
-snip

Then someone should confirm if all things go back to version .15 exactly the way it was prior to their update. Like a computer many things get internally updated within the processing module, just saying. Maybe not the effort on this thread.
post #14238 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 2223
Quote:
I’m sure you read that I have had the update since I took delivery of it 2 weeks ago so I don’t have anything to compare the update to. I love the PQ on UHD/HDR movies and overall I’m satisfied with satellite broadcasts, especially now after bumping the IRE setting to 5 and a luminance setting of 9. The black crush is gone so I’m a Happy Camper.
smurraybhm likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #14239 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 26
LG really fked up grey scale 5% with New firmware. Seems like they are nerfing it so people go buy the c9.
post #14240 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Connecting the ATV4k to a receiver will allow you to experience HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc) and lossless Atmos (if you're setup for that). The C8 can only pass 5.1 and lossy Atmos via ARC. Using and optical only passes 5.1. PQ is probably the same but in my experience (and testing) I felt the ATV4k had a better picture.
I could be wrong. But unless you're streaming your own custom rips from a media server, you're never going to get that high quality audio from an Apple TV since nobody bothers to encode those uncompressed/bit-heavy audio streams into anything that comes over the internet.

That's not to say that you shouldn't connect the ATV4K to the receiver. I would have done so if it didn't result in some audio lip sync issues that were annoying me. So I don't want to seem pedantic. But, well, getting TrueHD and DTS-MA from your Apple TV isn't high on the list of reasons to connect to the receiver.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #14241 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Newbie question,

I just got the update and was attempting to make the few tweaks to the IRE as suggested in previous posts. I cannot tell from looking at the TV content but I may have made changes I did not intend to make as I got lost in the IRE and Luminance settings since I don't understand how they work or what they do. My bad for attempting it...

Someone in previous posts mentioned it is as easy as making a few tweaks to the IRE. This affected my luminance and I am not sure where that setting should end up so can someone list the steps to take to make these tweaks and what the end result should be.

Also am I correct in that this adjustment only affects the particular picture mode I am in when making the changes.

If all else fails how do I get the settings back to the way they were right after the update before I tweaked them.

Thanks
PG55

Not that this will probably help you now, unless you do a complete reset of the tv, but what I did is go thru each of the settings and wrote down what the defaults were before making any changes. That way I had a baseline to refer to as to where the tv was out of the box. After that, I could easily go thru the Word doc. after an update and see what, if anything was changed. For me, it was better than having to do a complete reset of the tv if I got lost or screwed up a Picture Mode setting. It also makes it easier if someone asks what settings you have for a particular PM to go back and check if you are not sitting in front of your tv. I only have the PM settings recorded for the modes that I am currently using. The ones I haven't used yet, or have no need to use, they are still at defaults and if I ever decide to use or try them, I'll go thru the same process.

post #14242 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
If in doubt, you can always revert the TV to factory settings.

But, it shouldn't be that hard to set all the luminance values back to zero. You just go to IRE 5, set it to zero. Then you go to IRE 10, set it to zero. And so on. The only one that has an additional setting is IRE 100, where you set the overall luminance target of the entire curve.

Quote:
You just raise the luminance a few notches and then observe the test pattern to see if shadow details emerge. Nobody can tell you what your TV should be set to. . . you have to observe for yourself.

Also, please keep in mind, if you don't have a meter and you're just an average Joe/Jane, there is no "correct" setting so long as you think the TV looks good. If you already think the TV looks good, stop messing with it!

Quote:
Yes. And only that mode for that input. If you change inputs (from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2), you'll find those modes remain unchanged.

Quote:
See above, Just go through each IRE step in the 20-point adjustment range (5 IRE up to 100 IRE) and set to zero. If you messed with the 2-point adjustments, I have no idea. . . haven't been in there myself.

For full peace of mind, there's also the factory reset option. But then you've gotta get everything set back up from scratch. It's not that hard though. . . sometimes a fresh start feels good.

--H
mrtickleuk and PG55 like this.
post #14243 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about the update, especially after the supposed MPEG issue mentioned above. I have one of those "unicorn" C8's, as someone called it, in that I have not had any of the flashing, macroblocking and other issues that have been talked about ad naseum in this thread. I'm sure there are some issues if I went looking for them but to my eyes, with any source or viewing environment, I just don't see them. To be fair though, this is not my primary viewing tv. For that I have an older LG LCD downstairs which is used for about 90% of our viewing (cable network televison, ATV4 streaming of "non-critical" programs, etc). We use the C8 upstairs, via an ATV4k for major movies, HDR series, occasional network programming, etc. I do have some extensive notes on what to do after the update, if needed, but I think I'm going to sit tight for awhile longer to see what else shakes out. I just don't want to get too far behind in updates if another one comes within the next few weeks or months.
I did the update two days ago, primarily because it kept bugging me to do the update every time I turned on the set, and I got tired of answering "no." I think that I also have one of the "unicorn" C8's and I wouldn't have updated were it not for the set constantly nagging me.

The first night everything looked great. Even so, I did the adjustment to 5% IRE to see if made any improvement in some content that I thought had crushed blacks, and it seemed to make no difference. And on other content, everything looked the same as before.

Then last night I was watching an episode of Brooklyn 99 on Directc on demand, and the picture was very dark. It was weird and something I'd never seen before. It was basically unwatchable. I deleted it and watched other stuff for the rest of the night, but it's like once something like that get's in your head, you keep thinking "is this picture right or is it also too dark?"

I deleted the bad on-demand program, but I'm going to try to record it again tonight and see if it looks funky again and if looks funky on my LCD.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know whether the update made any impact on the PQ on my set, but if it wasn't for the "nagging," I wouldn't have done it either, and I don't think you're crazy to wait a bit.

I'll check the funky episode of Brooklyn 99 again tonight and report back.
post #14244 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
I could be wrong. But unless you're streaming your own custom rips from a media server, you're never going to get that high quality audio from an Apple TV since nobody bothers to encode those uncompressed/bit-heavy audio streams into anything that comes over the internet.

That's not to say that you shouldn't connect the ATV4K to the receiver. I would have done so if it didn't result in some audio lip sync issues that were annoying me. So I don't want to seem pedantic. But, well, getting TrueHD and DTS-MA from your Apple TV isn't high on the list of reasons to connect to the receiver.

I did a little more digging and you are correct. ATV4k can output them losslessly as 7.1 PCM but it can not output TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X. However, I don't use or need ARC so it's just easier for me to run all of my devices thru the receiver first and just pass native video to the C8 and let the receiver decode the native audio tracks. To my ears, it sounds better because my other option would be to use ARC and its audio limitations or optical and its audio limitations. I do use optical but only for network broadcasts via my Comcrap STB. I've never had any lip sync issues that were bothersome.

post #14245 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I did the update two days ago, primarily because it kept bugging me to do the update every time I turned on the set, and I got tired of answering "no." I think that I also have one of the "unicorn" C8's and I wouldn't have updated were it not for the set constantly nagging me.

The first night everything looked great. Even so, I did the adjustment to 5% IRE to see if made any improvement in some content that I thought had crushed blacks, and it seemed to make no difference. And on other content, everything looked the same as before.

Then last night I was watching an episode of Brooklyn 99 on Directc on demand, and the picture was very dark. It was weird and something I'd never seen before. It was basically unwatchable. I deleted it and watched other stuff for the rest of the night, but it's like once something like that get's in your head, you keep thinking "is this picture right or is it also too dark?"

I deleted the bad on-demand program, but I'm going to try to record it again tonight and see if it looks funky again and if looks funky on my LCD.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know whether the update made any impact on the PQ on my set, but if it wasn't for the "nagging," I wouldn't have done it either, and I don't think you're crazy to wait a bit.

I'll check the funky episode of Brooklyn 99 again tonight and report back.

One of the network tv programs that I use as a "pq" check is The Orville. It has lots of dark scenes with varying light content, colorful explosions, fast motion, etc. All that space stuff. It looks fantastic (via Comcrap local HDTV, legacy 1080 STB). Other tv content (even my old Westerns on MeTV) look great. Streaming via the ATV4k or watching movies via the UBK90 all look great, so that's why I'm a bit apprehensive about this update. My only real concern is any future updates if I don't apply this update. I agree that the nag message is getting old but I just ignore it and it goes away in about a minute.

post #14246 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

I too noticed a huge improvement with the update. I actually turned off automatic updates after this update as I don't want this goodness to be taken away by an over reaction update. I think owners need to factor in the panel variance with the "crushed black" situation. The firmware update could have caused crushed blacks on some sets and not on others depending on where the sets starting point was. I have tested my brightness levels with 3 separate tests and my set is not needing an IRE adjustment based on those tests. I am using Brightness 50 and BT1886. Anybody who doesn't have calibration testing equipment(including myself) is just guessing as to what their gamma reading officially is at on 5 IRE. I chose to leave mine alone and who knows I could be lowering it from 2.4 to 2.2 by increasing the 5 IRE setting to 9 or 10 I just don't know. But all that being said if adjusting the 5 IRE gives one a picture they like better that is all that counts. I upped mine in testing and it introduced more noise in the picture.
calfcramp likes this.
post #14247 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 5506 Post(s)
Liked: 7971
Yes, the speculation was that the reason for the delay releasing that update was LG testing on lots of panels to come to a judgement of an "average" panel, so that they'd know what values to use.
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #14248 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
If in doubt, you can always revert the TV to factory settings.

But, it shouldn't be that hard to set all the luminance values back to zero. You just go to IRE 5, set it to zero. Then you go to IRE 10, set it to zero. And so on. The only one that has an additional setting is IRE 100, where you set the overall luminance target of the entire curve.

You just raise the luminance a few notches and then observe the test pattern to see if shadow details emerge. Nobody can tell you what your TV should be set to. . . you have to observe for yourself.

Also, please keep in mind, if you don't have a meter and you're just an average Joe/Jane, there is no "correct" setting so long as you think the TV looks good. If you already think the TV looks good, stop messing with it!

Yes. And only that mode for that input. If you change inputs (from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2), you'll find those modes remain unchanged.

See above, Just go through each IRE step in the 20-point adjustment range (5 IRE up to 100 IRE) and set to zero. If you messed with the 2-point adjustments, I have no idea. . . haven't been in there myself.

For full peace of mind, there's also the factory reset option. But then you've gotta get everything set back up from scratch. It's not that hard though. . . sometimes a fresh start feels good.

--H

Thank you! That is great and clear information. One more question. I am not in front of my TV but I seem to remember when I was at 100 IRE the luminance set itself to 130. Do I just leave it there or is that also to be adjusted.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #14249 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you! That is great and clear information. One more question. I am not in front of my TV but I seem to remember when I was at 100 IRE the luminance set itself to 130. Do I just leave it there or is that also to be adjusted.
That 130 you see is the luminance target (if memory serves). . . which is a different setting. Only the 100 IRE setting allows that to be changed. It is greyed out at every other IRE setting between 5-95. My understanding is that the setting there at 100 IRE for target then influences the targets for all the others. If it was at 130 (which jives with my memory as well, I'm not at my TV either), leave it there, no harm done.
PG55 likes this.
post #14250 of 23105 Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
It's always better to post questions in the thread, so that everyone reading, not just one person in private, can benefit from the answer.
Many people "lurk" and don't post or find these discussions by searches in the future. By having the discussion here, they all benefit too.

For those still struggling here's the 3-step guide to how to adjust your 5% grey level. This was described a few times but here's everything in a single image. Images can't be attached to PMs either.

So. Change the value of (3), if you think you have "black crush" then increase it. Use Wizziwig's excellent test pattern if you would like to. Read the whole of that thread too.
Thankyou. But for a little more clarity there are 2 settings available for Pattern, "outer" and "inner".
You clearly advocate to use "outer".
Someone in this thread previously said they would use "inner" to make this WB adjustment.
Could you explain what these options mean, and when you would use either. There had been a previous explanation of difference but I did not understand how and when you would need to use the different options in a practical sense.

BTW I am hanging off updating to the new software until I absolutely have to.
There are those that advocate a 2pt adjustment rather than 20 pt. It is all so confusing as to what is the correct thing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page