2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 502 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81746Likes

post #15031 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I think that comment was relating to dynamic tone-mapping which is largely guesswork and estimations based on analysing the incoming signal. And yes, you don't want both the player and the TV to do dynamic tone-mapping.

What Vincent is talking about is one of two things (sorry I can't remember precisely) - when viewing material mastered to more then 1000 nits (eg 4000 nits)
  1. the player doing fixed-scale tone-mapping down to 1000 nits, and doing the "heavy lifting" on behalf of the TV. It's then sent to the player as if it were a 1000-nit title. You can then choose on the TV if you wish to use LG's dynamic tone-mapping or not.
  2. the playing doing dynamic tone-mapping down to 1000 nits, doing the "heavy lifting" on behalf of the TV. It's then sent to the player as if it were a 1000-nit title and you must not enable LG's dynamic tone-mapping as well, there would be no point in the TV re-analysing the signal as it might undo some of Panasonic's careful work on the signal.
Hello again. Thanks for the reply. What I think i now understand and didn't realize before is that the UB820 does some kind of tone mapping weather the HDR Optimizer is on or off. I though the HDR Optimizer WAS it's tone mapper. But apparently that is not the case. So does the player do some kind of tone mapping "automatically" and for lack of a better term, weather you want it to or not?

Quote:
In either case, the main thing to take away is that the player does a much nicer job of tone-mapping from 4000 down to 1000 than anything else out there. Vincent did do A/B comparisons in the video, showing the difference between the TV's tonemapping, and the player's tonemapping.

Also, I was thinking about the 820 myself - I don't need the two projector tone-mapping options as I like HDR so I'll never have a projector. However, news this week is that there's now a new 2019 450 model as well! I'm off to do a comparison.
So to put simply, I can just use the UB820's tone mapping and I will be fine? (I'd assume with the optimizer on is probably better?)

What do you know about the UB450? That might just be the answer to my problems. Although I wanted to like the UB820, it still doesn't do everything I like, and I am not even sure I want to keep it and I feel I should be more sure for $500. Any word on the 450 having the tone mapping the 820 has?

Thanks again!

Last edited by zeonstar; 04-06-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
I am done with LG. Downgraded my firmware, turned off auto updates, and the stupid thing still updated on its own. LG seems to be the kings of firmware updates for things that dont need fixing and then breaking something else. First it was the bad contrast with HDR switching now its the awful darkened picture. I never had the black noise flashing that some had. Way to ruin a good set. And now knowing that these things will still update with auto update off. Yikes. Will never buy LG again and will be selling thie E8 as soon as possible. Between poor customer service and quality control, never buy LG. I like that they want to try to fix the dark picture by randomly replacing parts to see what will fix it. They have no clue

And to mention my tv now also randomly shuts itself off and has audio drop outs with the built in apps now too.
Sounds like maybe you've got a bad set, including one with some software glitches . In particular, the random shut offs and the auto update seems indicative of some sort of anomaly. Out of X number of products made by any company, there is going to be a certain number of defective units.
post #15033 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I agree on the bad set however LG refuses to replace it. It is just 3 months old. Instead they just want to replace random parts in hopes that thry can solve it. Their first attempt was a factory reset using the service remote which according to them should resolve any issues. That did nothing but waste my time, force me to miss work and not get paid so the service tech could reset the tv and have nothing happen.

This is not the first faulty LG Oled I've had. My previous E8 has a bunch of jail bar lines and circles all over the picture and my previous LG oled had really bad light bleed. Blacks weren't black at all. Both times LG tried to say nothing is wrong and eventually they gave a store credit for an exchange, but they were hard fought.

Their customer service is awful and if I can sell this one I won't go back to this company again. Seems now they just care about pushing out as many tvs as possible and nothing about quality control. My $500 bedroom LCD is outperforming this $3200 oled right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15034 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
This is not the first faulty LG Oled I've had. My previous E8 has a bunch of jail bar lines and circles all over the picture and my previous LG oled had really bad light bleed. Blacks weren't black at all.
Wow, that's quite a run of bad luck.
post #15035 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Nope. I've done the roll back twice and it updated itself both times with auto updates off. We have both been very careful to select no or just clear the note off the screen. We refuse the update.
Create an access control rule on your router for the TV and lge.com, activate it, roll back......again.......and you should be good.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by Tool Belt; 04-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #15036 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 5714 Post(s)
Liked: 8259
Quote:
Their customer service is awful and if I can sell this one I won't go back to this company again. Seems now they just care about pushing out as many tvs as possible and nothing about quality control. My $500 bedroom LCD is outperforming this $3200 oled right now.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience, and this is going to be too late to suggest now but I write this for others. I would always go back to the retailer, not the manufacturer. At least in the UK, the retailer is who you have the contract with. Depending on how long you've had it, they have to refund/replace and are not allowed to always insist on a "repair". Only in some circumstances (after a long time for example) is it a forced repair. The thing is, once you have accepted the FIRST "repair", you are then committed to a path of repair, repair, repair and the manufacturer gets to call all the shots including them being the people who decide on whether you get a refund or replacement after that.
By refusing a repair and insisting on the retailer doing a refund + replacement, you then start a brand new contract on the replacement TV.
djoberg and Cam1977 like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #15037 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I just wanted to throw my .02 in on the firmware debate. I received my new 65 c8 2 weeks ago and have been battling trying to get it to look good the entire time.
I did the firmware update as soon as I got the TV without thinking about or knowing what it was.
Today, I downgraded my firmware to .15 and OMG the picture is outstanding. I was unable to completely eliminate the black crush on .31 firmware. Less than 20 minutes with the .15 firmware and I have the best picture I have ever had on a television.
calfcramp, djoberg, Make73 and 1 others like this.
post #15038 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Liked: 3955
Quote:
Sorry to hear of your bad experience, and this is going to be too late to suggest now but I write this for others. I would always go back to the retailer, not the manufacturer. At least in the UK, the retailer is who you have the contract with. Depending on how long you've had it, they have to refund/replace and are not allowed to always insist on a "repair". Only in some circumstances (after a long time for example) is it a forced repair. The thing is, once you have accepted the FIRST "repair", you are then committed to a path of repair, repair, repair and the manufacturer gets to call all the shots including them being the people who decide on whether you get a refund or replacement after that.
By refusing a repair and insisting on the retailer doing a refund + replacement, you then start a brand new contract on the replacement TV.
Man couldnt agree more, an exchange while not always easy could be the simpler solution rather than blaming the manufacturer.
calfcramp likes this.
post #15039 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
Quote:
I agree on the bad set however LG refuses to replace it. It is just 3 months old. Instead they just want to replace random parts in hopes that thry can solve it. Their first attempt was a factory reset using the service remote which according to them should resolve any issues. That did nothing but waste my time, force me to miss work and not get paid so the service tech could reset the tv and have nothing happen.

This is not the first faulty LG Oled I've had. My previous E8 has a bunch of jail bar lines and circles all over the picture and my previous LG oled had really bad light bleed. Blacks weren't black at all. Both times LG tried to say nothing is wrong and eventually they gave a store credit for an exchange, but they were hard fought.

Well keep in mind if you like the oled picture but hate lg, they still make all the panels being used by Sony and Panasonic. So even their sets can have the same issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp, mrtickleuk and 3isRC like this.
post #15040 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Quote:
This is the biggest reason I was willing to shell out close to 1K for a 5-year warranty through Best Buy. I have NOTHING to do with LG now, for repairs or replacements, and my salesperson (who had sold me two displays in 3 years adding up to 13K) has pretty much guaranteed me that most issues will result in a REPLACEMENT, not a repair. If they do a repair, it's all done "In-Home" which is nice...but again, the Geek Squad is not well-known for repairing issues so I would insist on a replacement.
mrtickleuk likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #15041 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Well keep in mind if you like the oled picture but hate lg, they still make all the panels being used by Sony and Panasonic. So even their sets can have the same issues

tell them.

calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #15042 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelvion View Post
So I just wanted to throw my .02 in on the firmware debate. I received my new 65 c8 2 weeks ago and have been battling trying to get it to look good the entire time.
I did the firmware update as soon as I got the TV without thinking about or knowing what it was.
Today, I downgraded my firmware to .15 and OMG the picture is outstanding. I was unable to completely eliminate the black crush on .31 firmware. Less than 20 minutes with the .15 firmware and I have the best picture I have ever had on a television.
What is your setting for the picture?
post #15043 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
I'm watching Oblivion standard blu ray on mine right now and I still can't believe how awesome this TV is! I'm on .15 still as well....
post #15044 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 12:50 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
Quote:
I did the firmware update as soon as
I got the TV without thinking about or knowing what it was.
What is your setting for the picture?
I did a calibration starting with the Technicolor preset.
post #15045 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've been having alot of HDMI-CEC issues since upgrading to the latest Firmware.

Is there a tutorial around here explaining how to roll the Firmware back to the previous one?

I don't even know where to find the file for the old one...
post #15046 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I may regret this but what is black crush and the apparent issues LG OLEDs have with it?
post #15047 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post
I've been having alot of HDMI-CEC issues since upgrading to the latest Firmware.

Is there a tutorial around here explaining how to roll the Firmware back to the previous one?

I don't even know where to find the file for the old one...
Do a search for the Android "SURE" app. Here is the post with the link to the firmware.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57811528
post #15048 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I may regret this but what is black crush and the apparent issues LG OLEDs have with it?

Search it and look at the last 5 pages of this thread. It has been discussed here and on the web. Just don't enter "orange crush"
post #15049 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Belt View Post
Here is the 4.10.15 for 65C8PUA USA

I removed the link to the 65C8 firmware since I don't have enough posts yet to include it in this reply

The MD5 hash is:

fe5aaaa56eaaa3f779eb46c88f9ecbd9

Use entirely at your own risk.

I would think so but want to make sure...is this firmware also applicable to the 55C8PUA?
post #15050 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie88 View Post
Quote:
Here is the 4.10.15 for 65C8PUA USA

I removed the link to the 65C8 firmware since I don't have enough posts yet to include it in this reply

The MD5 hash is:

fe5aaaa56eaaa3f779eb46c88f9ecbd9

Use entirely at your own risk.

I would think so but want to make sure...is this firmware also applicable to the 55C8PUA?
I would think so.
post #15051 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7293 Post(s)
Liked: 7327
Quote:
Create an access control rule on your router for the TV and lge.com, activate it, roll back......again.......and you should be good.
Then block the URL in your router.....
post #15052 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I wonder if LG has ever considered the way they can "dim" CNN's banners for example with the logo setting: detect the logos and create an option to have white or black or a cycle of them both display on screen over the banners?

I suppose someone could also connect a cheap PC to the TV, stream CNN and "zoom" in through the operating system to a point that you don't see any banners, it wouldn't look good blown up like that with things cut off too, but if you are a news junkie, it might be an option?
post #15053 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm having an odd issue with the Amazon Prime app on my C8 and wondering if anyone else has come across it.

I have TruMotion enabled, but whenever I launch the Amazon app it gets disabled when watching video. Even when I select a picture preset normally that has it enabled, I have to go into the settings of that preset and enable it. Then then next time I try to watch something in Amazon Prime, it's disabled again.

Has anyone else encountered this, and is there a way to fix it?

I understand that TruMotion is a very subjective thing and some people don't like it, but leaving it off wouldn't be a "fix" for me since I prefer video with it on. Thanks in advance.
post #15054 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post
I have TruMotion enabled, but whenever I launch the Amazon app it gets disabled when watching video. Even when I select a picture preset normally that has it enabled, I have to go into the settings of that preset and enable it. Then then next time I try to watch something in Amazon Prime, it's disabled again.

It's one of many minor bugs that will probably never get fixed. Only happens with the amazon app (as far as I know) and I think even 2017s have it. The problem is LG only fixes things when they get bad press, contacting their support about such things is pointless.
post #15055 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
It's one of many minor bugs that will probably never get fixed. Only happens with the amazon app (as far as I know) and I think even 2017s have it. The problem is LG only fixes things when they get bad press, contacting their support about such things is pointless.
Ah that's a bummer. I might try contacting them anyway. Who knows, the next update might have a fix for the Amazon bug instead of just crushing blacks (fortunately I haven't come across that issue on the latest firmware).

Thanks for the info.
post #15056 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

While you're at it you could also mention that 'mpeg noise reduction' no longer works with the latest firmware (except with the game preset).

I've already contacted them about it but it was just frustrating and a waste of time.
calfcramp and Pyronaut like this.
post #15057 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 37
A little off topic but can anyone tell me how to disable Google Assistant from my C8. It pops up every time I turn on the C8.
Thanks
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #15058 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked: 3269
Quote:
Nope. I've done the roll back twice and it updated itself both times with auto updates off. We have both been very careful to select no or just clear the note off the screen. We refuse the update.
Interesting how you are the only member I’ve read that this has ever happened to on either the 8 or 7 series threads. I suspect something else is amiss - not trying to be an xxx by the way.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #15059 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Well I rolled it back this morning, confirmed I was on .15, watched tv for an hour, turned it off, went and had a shower, then turned it back on when I was done and had no message to update. Checked the firmware version and it was on .30. Had all auto updates turned off, so that's three times it's still done it on it's own. And there was nobody else in the house thomis morning.
post #15060 of 23355 Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Checked the firmware version and it was on .30.

Is that a typo or is it really 4.10.30 that it auto updated to? That's a firmware that was never available for download and has only been seen pre-installed on newly purchased TVs or ones where the mainboard was replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page