2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 520 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80769Likes

post #15571 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Don't put settings from another panel into yours, especially the luminance values. There's too much panel variability.

The myth of shared settings refuses to die , sigh .

One of many articles on this subject :

https://referencehometheater.com/201...ults-compared/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2

Last edited by chunon; 04-16-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15572 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I attached a couple of photos of some odd lines that have appeared intermittently at the bottom of my screen - irrespective of content or device I am viewing from on my C8.

Does this look like anything easily identifiable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3044.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	766.8 KB
ID:	2553630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3043.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	2553632  

Physical media is on the way out
post #15573 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
I did this calibration, and I did it with a spectrometer. It was a while back. You may have missed it.....Question. Who in the world would do a 20 point calibration by eye? I posted the gamma graphs and I'm extremely proud of what I accomplished. If you don't like it, you don't like it. There have been at least 3 people that I know of who have calibrated their sets, including jk, and shared similar results. Jeez. You're gone for two weeks and a whole new swath of people have confused each other. I really do enjoy this forum, but the lack of being able to search posts for specific things, ala how Facebook support groups work, is extremely annoying.
Thank you for your efforts. 2 weeks off is like a thousand post to catch up on here lol. Have you ever taken a shot at game mode? I’ve always been curious if it can be accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15574 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I figure I'll try them, if I don't like them I change that back.
post #15575 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBarca View Post
I attached a couple of photos of some odd lines that have appeared intermittently at the bottom of my screen - irrespective of content or device I am viewing from on my C8.

yikes.....
post #15576 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
yikes.....

Does it look like anything you've come across before? Not even sure how to describe it tbh

Physical media is on the way out
post #15577 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwick View Post
I figure I'll try them, if I don't like them I change that back.

Yeah there is no harm in that , I am
Just pointing out the fallacy that pq is “always” improved with someone else’s settings in a lot of cases that’s simply not true.

Glenee and Jrocker23 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #15578 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Just pointing out the fallacy that pq is “always” improved with someone else’s settings in a lot of cases that’s simply not true.

I agree with this as well.

However, and I think we agree on this but if not I apologize (edit: after actually reading your post it seems that we do), I also think there's some merit in people posting their individual settings on the forums. If for nothing else, it gives people who are, perhaps less technically savvy, a distinct place to start playing with while eyeballing possible changes, for better or for worse. I personally am grateful for the settings, and explanations on how to change those settings, people have posted. I haven't applied any of them as they have been posted, but I've tinkered with the IRE values using my own eyes and at the moment I think it has had a positive effect.

OLED55C8PLA | Panasonic UB820
post #15579 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_82 View Post
I agree with this as well.

However, and I think we agree on this but if not I apologize, I also think there's some merit in people posting their individual settings on the forums. If for nothing else, it gives people who are, perhaps less technically savvy, a distinct place to start playing with while eyeballing possible changes, for better or for worse. I personally am grateful for the settings, and explanations on how to change those settings, people have posted. I haven't applied any of them as they have been posted, but I've tinkered with the IRE values using my own eyes and at the moment I think it has had a positive effect.

I agree to a certain point there is some value to certain core settings but I don’t think that extends to white balance settings , too much variance imo .

calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #15580 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Does it look like anything you've come across before? Not even sure how to describe it tbh
No sir it does not, can't add any value here but hopefully someone here will have some suggestions.

Quote:

Totally agree.
FCBarca likes this.
post #15581 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
I did this calibration, and I did it with a spectrometer. It was a while back. You may have missed it.....Question. Who in the world would do a 20 point calibration by eye? I posted the gamma graphs and I'm extremely proud of what I accomplished. If you don't like it, you don't like it. There have been at least 3 people that I know of who have calibrated their sets, including jk, and shared similar results. Jeez. You're gone for two weeks and a whole new swath of people have confused each other. I really do enjoy this forum, but the lack of being able to search posts for specific things, ala how Facebook support groups work, is extremely annoying.
Hey apologies if I sounded critical, I wasn’t. I was just curious. I’m sure you spent quite a bit of effort on it, so thanks.

One of the things that’s annoying about this forum is that thread starters can’t pin specific posts. It would make it easier for occasional readers to get important, latest FAQ without having to read the entire thread. Since that doesn’t exist perhaps we can all collaborate on one and we can just keep reposting the FAQ every few pages so that it never gets lost? That way, we won’t have this issue of new owners coming in every week and asking about something that’s been discussed and rediscussed a million times already?

I'm a web developer Jim, Not a doctor!

C8 FAQ
post #15582 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Did anyone on here happen to catch 911 last night on FOX? Was it overly dark, lacking any shadow detail, or is that just my set. I run my TV in ISF high, (due to windows) using Movie Warm 2, gamma 2.2 It looked like everything was crushed to just a black hole. Overall the whole show looked dark. So it got me wondering if this is FOX, or my TV post .31 update?
post #15583 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
There should be a summary where we can post FAQ and others usually located as a 2nd post like in other forums.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
smitty and calfcramp like this.
post #15584 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
Hey apologies if I sounded critical, I wasn’t. I was just curious. I’m sure you spent quite a bit of effort on it, so thanks.

One of the things that’s annoying about this forum is that thread starters can’t pin specific posts. It would make it easier for occasional readers to get important, latest FAQ without having to read the entire thread. Since that doesn’t exist perhaps we can all collaborate on one and we can just keep reposting the FAQ every few pages so that it never gets lost? That way, we won’t have this issue of new owners coming in every week and asking about something that’s been discussed and rediscussed a million times already?
I don't think apologies are necessary. The last few pages of this thread have been full of posts from overly sensitive people complaining about search functionality and "forum etiquette". Folks who just want to get some TV information have to wade through this garbage. Your post was fine. An FAQ or a knowledge base should be maintained , and referenced as an answer for the numerous questions that are asked over and over. Until that exists, I would recommend people abide by the simple rule of, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Or ignore me and let this place continue it's downward spiral.
calfcramp likes this.
post #15585 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Still find LG support ridiculous. I've had 2 repairs to try to fix my tv. Neither has worked and both LG guaranteed would work. Instead, each repair resulted in more issues. Originally it was an extremely darknpicture. Dark scenes everything was just a black blob, nothing could be made out on max everything. The fix, send a tech and reset with the service remote. That did nothing, but then the tv has constent audio drop outs on all sources and now randomly shuts itself off.

The second fix, replace the main board. Same issues still exist after and then the tv made some sound, screen went completely grey and only way to get video back was to turn off and on. Got video back but now has jail bar lines that are easily visable on everything and little circles.

Service tech said that I should have grounds for a replacemet. LGs solution, fix again. What now I have no clue. Each repair causes me to be out money. On this tv and previous ones I have lost $1400 in salary and we are moving soon. A replacement is the easiest option. The repairs do nothing but cause more problems. Why can't LG just admit that this unit is faulty and find a new fix to the problem.
That is odd, there is a point just to replace the unit. Sony for example from what I have seem normally wants to swap the units and not repair....
post #15586 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52

Quote:
I agree to a certain point there is some value to certain core settings but I don’t think that extends to white balance settings , too much variance imo .

It doesn’t hurt to try. Let’s not act as if one can’t revert it back. Thanks for the ones that share their settings. The black crush was so bad for me I was willing to try anything. I know what a good picture looks like. In my case it worked out and it made my picture better.

post #15587 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3isRC View Post
It doesn’t hurt to try. Let’s not act as if one can’t revert it back. Thanks for the ones that share their settings. The black crush was so bad for me I was willing to try anything. I know what a good picture looks like. In my case it worked out and it made my picture better.

Can you point me to where I told anyone not to do it ? I never said that was just offering an opinion and some personal experience , you can do with that whatever you want. Obviously it’s your set so do as you wish .

“Better” is subjective for sure , the only way to know for sure is to put a meter on your set .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #15588 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Can you point me to where I told anyone not to do it ? I never said that was just offering an opinion and some personal experience , you can do with that whatever you want. Obviously it’s your set so do as you wish .

“Better” is subjective for sure , the only way to know for sure is to put a meter on your set .

I don’t need a meter to see if black crush is there lol.

post #15589 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
@chronitis , you need to ignore such comments that seem to easily offend you. The comment that your settings made someone's set look "washed out" was risible and obviously a one off. You, like many others here provided a service to many many others here like myself, who greatly appreciate your generosity and selfless contribution. That should counterbalance the odd comment to the contrary. Shrug it off and just suggest they reset to the defaults then, no harm no foul.

Your settings made a marked improvement to my PQ. Are your settings perfect for my C8? I won't know that until and if I get it professionally calibrated. I may find at that time that only a few minor additional adjustments might be necessary your settings look that good. Thanks again for what you did.

Russ

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #15590 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
@chronitis , you need to ignore such comments that seem to easily offend you. The comment that your settings made someone's set look "washed out" was risible and obviously a one off. You, like many others here provided a service to many many others here like myself, who greatly appreciate your generosity and selfless contribution. That should counterbalance the odd comment to the contrary. Shrug it off and just suggest they reset to the defaults then, no harm no foul.

Tour settings made a marked improvement to my image. Are your settings perfect for my C8? I won't know that until and if I get it professionally calibrated. I may find at that time that only a few minor additional adjustments might be necessary your settings look that good. Thanks again for what you did.

Russ
This ^
calfcramp, ganzhimself and 3isRC like this.
post #15591 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Bones View Post
I don't think apologies are necessary. The last few pages of this thread have been full of posts from overly sensitive people complaining about search functionality and "forum etiquette". Folks who just want to get some TV information have to wade through this garbage. Your post was fine. An FAQ or a knowledge base should be maintained , and referenced as an answer for the numerous questions that are asked over and over. Until that exists, I would recommend people abide by the simple rule of, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. Or ignore me and let this place continue it's downward spiral.

You're wrong. His apology was indeed warranted. There are quite a few very generous and patient people on this site who repeatedly answer the same questions ad nauseum. There comes a point when patience is no longer necessary. That point is when a flurry of "newbie" questions appear at the same time and it appears those people are merely trolling to create friction and arguments. There are two such comments on this page alone that indicate what I am saying. There are several more in the last dozen or so pages. There us an FAQ addendum to this thread and if you had the common sense and self-assertiveness necessary to satisfy your curiosity you could search for it. The same advice given and justifiably so to the numerous "newbie" questions asked in the last few days that have created quite an inordinate amount of bickering. That is very unusual for this thread. I am surprised no moderator as yet has put a stop to it.
smitty, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #15592 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3isRC View Post
I don’t need a meter to see if black crush is there lol.

I wasn’t referring to that btw , full settings was what I was referring to .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #15593 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
Thread starters can't pin specific posts? Why not, each post has a 'permalink'.
For this thread, it seems ZISSOU is gone, so can't edit first post. But a supermod can, say, if a FAQ is created.
post #15594 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Yes, I know what that is, it happened to me once too.

When you close the TV, sometimes it starts a panel self-refresh instead of shutting itself down immediately. You know this happens when you turn off the TV and you don't immediately hear the relay "clang". It takes around 5 to 15 minutes, and only then you hear the "clang".

If you happen to turn on the TV while it's doing the panel self-refresh, sometimes you get those kind of artifacts on the screen.

They will go away the next time the panel will do a self-refresh. Just let the TV on for ~ 4 hours, and when you turn it off it will do the self-refresh.

Just don't trigger the pixel refresh manually, that's a procedure that will clear this up, but also reduces the panel lifetime much more than the self-refresh.
post #15595 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Write ALL of your settings down for the PM's that you use and any other input-specific settings that you may use. Put them in a format that you can easily understand and access. I create Word docs. Then, if you choose to do so, use some of the many settings that are posted here to see if you are able to improve your pq. If not, or it looks terrible, you can easily go back to what you had before with no harm or foul, and without having to do a reset. It also makes it easier to check if anything was changed after an update or to compare to what someone has posted without having to sit down and go thru the menus. Personally I wouldn't recommend using posted settings other than the basic ones. IRE and CMS are not basic settings.

Using someone else's "calibrated" settings always has an inherent danger, especially for the new folks who really don't understand a calibration from an adjustment, and using another's settings just adjusts your panel to theirs, it doesn't take into consideration your own panel's component tolerances. It can be a good place to start to get a better understanding on what the settings are and how they interact with each other, but don't expect them to magically correct any issues that you may have because someone else's settings look killer on their panel. Panel variance, or component tolerances, can be considerably different from panel to panel, as we has all seen and discussed ad naseum.
calfcramp and mildclubsauce like this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #15596 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 09:48 AM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

LG C8 FAQ

Please read the following before posting questions in this thread. This is to spare regular contributors having to answer the same questions repeatedly. Thank you for your cooperation.

The latest firmware:
4.10.60 - stable? - still too soon to tell, not everyone can download it yet
4.10.31 - stable? - no, people have reported various issues with it. Don't upgrade
4.10.06 - stable? - yes

Settings:
Stick with 3 picture modes
Game --> When you're gaming, otherwise, use the other two
technicolor Expert
isf Expert(Bright or Dark)

Turn off both Energy Saving mode and TruMotion

A couple of forum members have graciously posted their spectrometer calibrated settings for their C8s. Please note that we don't recommend that you copy their luminance settings as there's variance in TV sets which would mean that their settings may NOT work for you. This is just a starting point. Reset back to default if you don't like it.

Chronitis
My main settings are:
isf dark
OLED light 28
Brightness 50
Contrast 85.
Gamma 2.4

20 point luminance adjustments:
5) +12
10) +14
15) +12
20) +10
25) +8
30) +6
35) +7
40) +4
45) +3
50) +4
55) +6
60) +3
65) +2
70) +5
75) +6
80) +3
85) -2
90) -3

jk82
jk82 posted the following difference from Chronitis, you may be able to find a setting in between the two that look better on your set
5: +13
10: +16
15: +12
20: +10
25: +9
30: +6
35: +3

C8 FAQ

Last edited by jcc; 04-16-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #15597 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:

-snip

Are you saying that since VT60 had close calibrations it would work also here on the C8? I think after they have calibrated a few 100 sets some values should converge and should be publicized. Just my 2 cents!
post #15598 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Ok, here's my draft of this thread's FAQ. I just started following ten days ago after acquiring my C8 so that's about the extent of my knowledge. Anyone, please feel free to add to it. Thanks!

C8 FAQ
post #15599 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Are you saying that since VT60 had close calibrations it would work also here on the C8? I think after they have calibrated a few 100 sets some values should converge and should be publicized. Just my 2 cents!

I am saying there was enough panel variance with that set , the bottom line recommendation was to stick with the ootb thx mode , similar results with Kuros which had some of the tightest variance specs ever . I am not
trying to rain on anyone’s parade just pointing out panels vary .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #15600 of 21680 Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 43
@jcc , if the spectro used is an i1Pro2, then any values below 10% are to be ignored. Make it even below 15%.

I also have a i1Pro2 and a i1D3, and don't rely at all on the i1Pro2 values at low luminance, because they are off the mark. The i1Pro2 is extremely unstable in such conditions, every measurement you take will give you a completely different value. Average dE between two measurements at 1% can be up to 6 or even more.
chunon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page