2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 523 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81351Likes

post #15661 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Wouldn't we agree that .31 improved near black handling? I know in my case it definitely did. The only issue being slight black crush which is solved by raising the 5IRE a bit. Saying to revert to .15 makes no sense to me if the goal is to improve near black.
I would say the only downside is now Dolby Vision doesn't look right and without tools I'm just kinda sitting here waiting for an update to watch Altered Carbon and Our Planet. I waited so long to get an OLED and now waiting for a firmware leaves somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth. Still love it, just wish they did some better testing.

Major kudos to those sharing info and help on the update/settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15662 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF ROTH View Post
hi

I having the same problem on black scenes

is threre any solutions?

thank you

I exchanged mine, replacement was and still is perfect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15663 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactlol View Post
I would say the only downside is now Dolby Vision doesn't look right and without tools I'm just kinda sitting here waiting for an update to watch Altered Carbon and Our Planet. I waited so long to get an OLED and now waiting for a firmware leaves somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth. Still love it, just wish they did some better testing.

What issues are you seeing in DV? Can't recall noticing anything on mine post .31 firmware to be honest.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15664 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 2582
Quote:

Dolby Vision using the Cinema Home default settings is gorgeous! And I'm still on the .15 firmware.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #15665 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
What issues are you seeing in DV? Can't recall noticing anything on mine post .31 firmware to be honest.
The black crush from the raised gamma in .31 I'm guessing

Borrowed from the other forum but this scene from Sabrina S2E1 does a good job of showing crushed black detail on .31 DV. I don't know much but I can't **** around with the settings around here to get it looking decent.

But I just got mine with .31 so I could be wrong and it may look like that regardless of FW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190409_235008.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	2554538  
post #15666 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Borrowed from the other forum but this scene from Sabrina S2E1 does a good job of showing crushed black detail on .31 DV. I don't know much but I can't **** around with the settings around here to get it looking decent.

But I just got mine with .31 so I could be wrong and it may look like that regardless of FW.
Yeah I saw that on the UK forum as well. When I tried that scene on mine with .31 firmware and default DV Cinema, my image wasn't nearly as crushed. It was a lot closer to the 7 series image that was posted there as comparison. But yes, panel variance sucks.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #15667 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

Ha! That's the show that got me to downgrade back to .15.. wife was watching it and i could barely see anything. It was like back in the day trying to play Quake 1 on a worn out/screwed up CRT monitor all over again
calfcramp likes this.
post #15668 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 04:41 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6858 Post(s)
Liked: 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McNamara View Post
Last night I purchased a 65 C8 for $2699CAD (about $2000US). I will definitely be on this thread some more! I have not updated any firmware yet thanks to a tip from someone who told me there have been issues with the latest firmware. I have mimicked most of the Rtings settings except I bumped up the OLED Lighting to 35 rather than 21. I'm coming from a 60" plasma which has beautiful picture quality but only in a very dark setting. I've never had burn in but I declined the extended warranty so I'm still extra nervous about that considering this cost 4.5x what I paid for my plasma. Anyway, I'm now Club OLED!!
For a top shelf product these OLED are cheap......!
Ryan McNamara likes this.
post #15669 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
Engineering mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I followed member mrtickleuk 's directions from a few pages back. Copied below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Do this at your own risk, if using a Harmony remote, press "In-Start" twice consecutively then
> 5. System 2
>> Option "NSU Mode": Change from "User Mode" to "Engineering Mode"." To get out of this, just press "In-Start" again.

as soon as you're upgraded, I would always then go back and reset it to User mode.

Emotiva RMC-1/XPR-5/XPA-7Gen3, AppleTV 4K
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4SVS Prime Elevation x 4
post #15670 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I checked this also, Cinema Home, I adjusted brightness to 55, I can see now the background even the folds of her shirt
post #15671 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
I checked this also, Cinema Home, I adjusted brightness to 55, I can see now the background even the folds of her shirt
Pretty sure you just killed your absolute black with that adjustment.

post #15672 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Yea he did

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #15673 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I can raise my brightness by 1. If that, any higher makes true black not true black.
post #15674 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Gamers:

Any one else play around with input mode set to PC? My experience is good. No idea if something has changed with firmware as I never messed with this before. The biggest thing is I didn’t notice any input lag at all between the picture modes and I would have it they were higher. What’s nice is it opens up more calibration options minus the BS you turn off anyway. I mostly used Chronitis HDR settings\RGB Code Values. In Windows 10 you have to enable HDR of course. I’ve been very happy with this set but right now its really clean. I tested Netflix in HDR as well as a few backed up UHD. If you’re looking to play around you should play with this.

@chronitis Thank you for your hard work and sharing your HDR settings on post 14516. You mentioned Game Mode used color temp of W50 and color of 70. How were you able to set Code Values RGB? This option did not exist for me in HDR Game Mode (HDMI set to HDMI 2).
calfcramp likes this.
post #15675 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
It was discussed in previous pages, might be first week of April, to adjust the brightness to 55. You are correct it killed the absolute black, I reverted it back to 50 and checked that episode again, I turned off my lights this time, and I can still see the background and the folds of her shirt
post #15676 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
It was discussed in previous pages, might be first week of April, to adjust the brightness to 55. You are correct it killed the absolute black, I reverted it back to 50 and checked that episode again, I turned off my lights this time, and I can still see the background and the folds of her shirt
A lot of Netlfix DV stuff is mastered low intentionally and really does need to be watched in a light controlled room for the best experience. DV Cinema Home helps but it is not accurate compared to DV Cinema.

post #15677 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just bought my C8 after reading the extensive positive reviews and seeing how magnificent it looked in several different stores. Best Buy was out of stock until May 1 so I got it from a very good local retailer, but they don't take back open box returns if nothing is wrong with the TV. It is being delivered on Friday. Talk me off a ledge... Thinking about canceling and just waiting for Best Buy to get that two-week return window "just in case".

Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf L/R
Aperion Verus Grand Center Channel
Aperion Verus Forte Satellite
SVS PB-1000
Denon X3400 / LG C8 65inch OLED / ATV4K

Last edited by agerson; 04-17-2019 at 10:00 PM.
post #15678 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Because of the lg policy, officially my TV is being put on sale.
This TV has been promoted as a television that can manage the image in motion very well. in fact it does nothing to say, I tested a Sony that if it had an ok remote control would be the best choice. I'll NEVER PURCHASE FROM LG!!!

Instead of fixing the real problemms, off this tv's ( 24 p playback, and flicker), Lg destroy the gamma, the same problem i have with b6 that we had before, except that it did not decrease the intensity of light like b8 from now on. Those from lg have created some incredible screens, but how good the screens are so poorly managed by the operating system.

And we were expecting nonsense to give an update to fix what they broke ... Well, they could not leave the software as it was from the previous models on the 6th or 7th series and stop updating. See what the tricks are from lg, have created a problem that we did not have at the beginning and instead of providing us with a real update they give us rewrites of gamma and cheap courage that spoil our TV.
post #15679 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinelionut View Post

This TV has been promoted as a television that can manage the image in motion very well. in fact it does nothing to say, I tested a Sony that if it had an ok remote control would be the best choice. I'll NEVER PURCHASE FROM LG!!!

Instead of fixing the real problemms, off this tv's ( 24 p playback, and flicker), Lg destroy the gamma, the same problem i have with b6 that we had before, except that it did not decrease the intensity of light like b8 from now on. Those from lg have created some incredible screens, but how good the screens are so poorly managed by the operating system.

And we were expecting nonsense to give an update to fix what they broke ... Well, they could not leave the software as it was from the previous models on the 6th or 7th series and stop updating. See what the tricks are from lg, have created a problem that we did not have at the beginning and instead of providing us with a real update they give us rewrites of gamma and cheap courage that spoil our TV.
Ok

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #15680 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 253
What is cheap courage?
post #15681 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon View Post
Gamers:

Any one else play around with input mode set to PC? My experience is good. No idea if something has changed with firmware as I never messed with this before. The biggest thing is I didn’t notice any input lag at all between the picture modes and I would have it they were higher. What’s nice is it opens up more calibration options minus the BS you turn off anyway. I mostly used Chronitis HDR settings\RGB Code Values. In Windows 10 you have to enable HDR of course. I’ve been very happy with this set but right now its really clean. I tested Netflix in HDR as well as a few backed up UHD. If you’re looking to play around you should play with this.

@chronitis Thank you for your hard work and sharing your HDR settings on post 14516. You mentioned Game Mode used color temp of W50 and color of 70. How were you able to set Code Values RGB? This option did not exist for me in HDR Game Mode (HDMI set to HDMI 2).
You're welcome. Game mode should be set to 50 color and W50-W45 for the color temperature. Unfortunately there aren't any code values to input in game mode. This goes for both SDR, and HDR.
TheBrandon and mildclubsauce like this.
post #15682 of 22552 Old 04-17-2019, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 138
For gaming in SDR, If you have a dual output receiver, or use a direct connection from a console/PC to the TV, change the HDMI input label to PC. You can then use the isf settings and have the same input lag as game mode. Don't use it for HDR as it clips colors.
calfcramp and TheBrandon like this.
post #15683 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Sorry, the auto keyboard error...
post #15684 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinelionut View Post

post #15685 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
For gaming in SDR, If you have a dual output receiver, or use a direct connection from a console/PC to the TV, change the HDMI input label to PC. You can then use the isf settings and have the same input lag as game mode. Don't use it for HDR as it clips colors.
How bad are colors clipped in HDR with input set to PC? I’m tying to measure the pros and cons and I’ll play around tonight. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just normally click options based on suggestions given by skilled people like yourself or just give it the old eye test.

With input set to PC and the additional calibration options provided (like code values), HDR ends up less accurate due to clipping colors over HDMI 2 game mode with just 50 color and W50-W45? Trying to gauge the trade off between the two. Thank you for settling this!

It’s a shame about the colors clipping. Why do you suppose this is? Is it the C8 firmware or how the GPU handles the output? (Noticed there is all kinds of modes 422, 444, rgb, full, limited, it just goes on).

As an aside, this TV does not support 1440p so I am adding this in case someone ever Googles, you can do internal scaling from your GPU I found last night that will scale the entire image and not take as much GPU power if you don’t have a card that can play 4K. 4K with medium textures looks far better imo than 1440p maxed though. Save for a GPU so you can hit that 60hz.

Last edited by TheBrandon; 04-18-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #15686 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7386 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post
What is cheap courage?
It’s courage on sale.
calfcramp and dreaux like this.
post #15687 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Wow, been away from this forum for awhile...came back and it's crazy!!! I currently am running the .50 FW, and I watched GoT Sunday with that fw installed, through an Xfinity cable box. I was blown away with the clarity and the color. All the black/dark scenes, like Jon down in the tombs and the Tormund scene were perfect, no crush. The only thing I played with was warm 1/warm 2. I had it set to warm 1 from another firmware (I did this not just for the DV setup) and I went back to warm 2. Other then that .50 looks pretty good. DV looks amazing as always, so I am happy with it. For people telling other people to revert back from a fw, just be aware every panel will look different, so what works for you may not work for everyone else. The only thing I can tell people is, use other people's and Rtings settings as a starting point. Then, adjust as you like it!! I can guarantee that my TV would look horrible to someone else, but I love it. As always, I hope you find a setting that you like and end up loving this TV as much as I do. Dynasties, Aquaman and Spiderman: into the Spiderverse were all just mindblowing!!! Enjoy!!

Last edited by RavenBF; 04-18-2019 at 06:15 AM.
post #15688 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Has anyone gotten the .50 firmware over the air yet?
post #15689 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Some through engineering mode and one not in that mode. I keep trying but no update yet

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
post #15690 of 22552 Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
I got mine through engineering mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page