2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 546 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79734Likes

post #16351 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2383
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Stb power is for turning your cable box on or off

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That's what I thought but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
macmane likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16352 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I have a calibration appointment in about 2 weeks and I'm still on .15 firmware I'm wondering should I update to .55 and just let my calibrator handle it or just let him calibrate .15

post #16353 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3664
Quote:
I have a calibration appointment in about 2 weeks and I'm still on .15 firmware I'm wondering should I update to .55 and just let my calibrator handle it or just let him calibrate .15

The down side doing the cal on .15 is you will be stuck there forever since .31 forward impacts gamma , ideally you want to take the gamma fix that is supposedly coming then do the calibration .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vince48 and macmane like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16354 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post
First, I don't think SDR being misread as HDR will ever look right, so choose whichever mode looks best to you. Since this is an SDR/HDR mismatch, there's not much point in trying to tweak anything.

As far as what to try on the IPC4100/Mini hidden menu, try setting it to 1080p or 1080i, then cold boot the box (unplug it). Also try changing it to RGB instead of YCbCr 4:4:4 and see if that works. Here's the manual for the IPC: https://fccid.io/ACQ-IPC4100/User-Ma...Manual-3930446

The way I read this, you have the VMS4100 on an old TV because only that box has a Composite output and that is why you can't switch boxes to solve the issue on the C8. If nothing else works, you can switch boxes by adding this $4 adapter to your IPC4100 and connect it to your 480i TV until Verizon comes up with a fix for the IPC HDR issue. https://www.verizon.com/home/accesso...cable-adapter/
So...this sort of worked. Kind of.

I followed your directions and went into the user menu, changed the setting as you suggested and did the cold boot. When the box rebooted, it was back to regular modes and not locked into HDR...awesome!

However, after watching for a little while I started getting this weird kind of picture interference...sort of a bunch of rapidly blinking lines on and off in the lower right quarter of the screen. This, by the way, was exactly what the issue I referred to in my earlier post was when this was hooked up to my 480i TV...and this is what made them switch the main box and the mini.

So the picture was now coming in at non-HDR as it should but with some sort of distortion or interference in the picture. Then if I go into the menu and switch to 2160 the distortion goes away, but then it locks into HDR mode again...

I realize this is not a C8 issues so probably doesnt belong in this thread - but if jdbimmer or anyone has thoughts on how to resolve (and where to post)...please let me know!
post #16355 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

After going almost insane over blacks clipping, firmware problems, auto dimming and others I began just... enjoying the TV and content it produces.

Today I finally got myself to do basic OLED calibration using the Disney WOW discs (yes, some of you will criticize that it’s crap) and boy I was surprised by how way off my “I felt it looked good before” settings were.

Then I loaded GOT S08E03 off Amazon and HBO Now for reference and despite whole thing being a little dark (director intended) it looked marvelous.

Ran few other tests with various demanding 1080p and UHD (from discs) content and it was glorious :-)

Start enjoying the TV, whoever recommended it to me, thank you.

post #16356 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
After going almost insane over blacks clipping, firmware problems, auto dimming and others I began just... enjoying the TV and content it produces.

Today I finally got myself to do basic OLED calibration using the Disney WOW discs (yes, some of you will criticize that it’s crap) and boy I was surprised by how way off my “I felt it looked good before” settings were.

Then I loaded GOT S08E03 off Amazon and HBO Now for reference and despite whole thing being a little dark (director intended) it looked marvelous.

Ran few other tests with various demanding 1080p and UHD (from discs) content and it was glorious :-)

Enjoy!!
post #16357 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2383
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post

There is nothing wrong with using a calibration disk like WoW, or the free AVS HD709 disk to do basic adjustments. It's not a calibration but sometimes a little adjusting is all you need.
calfcramp and mildclubsauce like this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #16358 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
It’s all about the size bro .

That's what she said!

Sorry, horrible joke. It was too tempting.

To each his own, but I wonder what the consensus is here on 85 inches, decent or horrible quality to 55 or 65 C8's, best quality? I have a 55 and will never go back or around or under on any other display tech, until they release better visual quality. With the faults in the C series, included. The difference to me is such a big leap, I will deal with the C8 issues even if there was a PERFECT{None exist} Qled, Led, etc, etc, etc.
chunon likes this.
post #16359 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPJoe View Post
...So the picture was now coming in at non-HDR as it should but with some sort of distortion or interference in the picture. Then if I go into the menu and switch to 2160 the distortion goes away, but then it locks into HDR mode again...

I realize this is not a C8 issues so probably doesnt belong in this thread - but if jdbimmer or anyone has thoughts on how to resolve (and where to post)...please let me know!
My guess is the Mini may be defective or have bad firmware if the same anomaly shows up on 2 different displays with the same STB. But check all the usual suspects - swap HDMI cables, connect the Mini directly to the TV if you now go through a switch or AVR, or try some other settings in the Mini hidden menu. I have seen this in the Verizon FIOS forums - but unresolved. If all else fails, get a FIOS tech and tell them to fix it or swap it for a vms4100. The 2 VMS STBs will also double your recording storage.
post #16360 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6513 Post(s)
Liked: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
^ I believe a forum sponsor has mentioned many times before during Sony v LG discussions about owners switching from LG to Sony, but never from Sony to LG. As Sgt. Schultz use to say, "Very interesting."
Quote:
It’s all about the size bro .
Ya, LOL, I bet if the 77" Sony was the same price as the LG he would have the Sony
post #16361 of 20464 Old 05-01-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I went from sony a8f to lg c8, i could not get used to the sony remote control, changing the tv programs, lasting forever, the internal player did not read subtitles on the movies and the android running in resume. Unfortunately, I'm sorry to changed the Sony because of the lg update policie and i put my TV on sale and I'm going to go to Sony, the newer version...
post #16362 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Ya, LOL, I bet if the 77" Sony was the same price as the LG he would have the Sony

Maybe maybe not , I have no complaints with the C8. The difference is exaggerated by a lot of people each have their strengths . At any rate this is not the place for comparisons .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #16363 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 7299 Post(s)
Liked: 8111
Quote:
Maybe maybe not , I have no complaints with the C8. The difference is exaggerated by a lot of people each have their strengths . At any rate this is not the place for comparisons .

Cleveland is a Sony guy and it shows in many of his posts.

Personally I was glad to get away from Sony, not because of PQ but because of the OS and other issues.
TimRex likes this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #16364 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 7299 Post(s)
Liked: 8111
Quote:
^ I believe a forum sponsor has mentioned many times before during Sony v LG discussions about owners switching from LG to Sony, but never from Sony to LG. As Sgt. Schultz use to say, "Very interesting."
I wonder what the profit margins are for Sony vs LG. I’m sure it’s not higher for Sony.
smurraybhm likes this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #16365 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Please note I did not use any business names, so I tried. I never thought I would buy an LG, but I have thoroughly enjoyed both and the C8 post .31 looks pretty damn good. Its not hard to do a few tweaks to minimize black crush, look forward to the gamma fix.
Ken Ross, calfcramp and chunon like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #16366 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Cleveland is a Sony guy and it shows in many of his posts.

Personally I was glad to get away from Sony, not because of PQ but because of the OS and other issues.

Yeah as I said they both have their pluses and minuses , I have been pleasantly surprised with the upscaling especially for a 77”.

djoberg and smurraybhm like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #16367 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does anyone have any experience with LG honoring a warranty even if it's from an unauthorized dealer? I'm going through something that seems pretty sketchy right now. I ended up getting a C8 through Gameliquidations via Newegg, but when the box arrived, it had a label on it that said

Quote:
Important information regarding the warranty of your new TV: Due to some recent policy changes from the manufacturer, in order to have the one year warranty validated, you must register the TV from our buying group: AMAZON (in magic marker).

Please do not register the warranty under our company name, it is a subdivision of our buying group, the warranty will not be honored.
As far as I know, LG, or at least SquareTrade (who I purchased an additional two years from) require your invoice as proof of purchase, especially as it being sold in new condition. I tried contacting them through Newegg's seller notifications, since that was their only means of contact, and got some **** about texting their number to get an invoice. When I told them that I wanted to speak to an actual person, they gave me the distributing number, who then told me that because emails or other contact methods get flagged as "spam" through Newegg that I had to text them for returns and invoices. So Tuesday of last week, I texted the relevant information and was told by whoever was on the other end that they would bump it up to their "Amazon rep" since their TVs come from Amazon, and that it would be taken care of. A week goes by and nothing, so I contacted them again yesterday and was simply told that I would get it "soon". It really doesn't take over a week to get an invoice, and I'm wondering if they are sending out fakes.

Seems really shady to me, and almost like they know what they are doing isn't going to help the consumer and it also seems like a stalling tactic so that you can't do anything until the thirty day return window expires. I have no idea what I should do in this situation either, but I'm not about to try registering the TV under Amazon, when my proof of purchase came from elsewhere. I've read also that LG doesn't even really care about the seller as much as the serial number, but I don't know if that's true now, even if it had been previously.

Last edited by Plasmoidial; 05-02-2019 at 05:45 AM.
post #16368 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Please note I did not use any business names, so I tried. I never thought I would buy an LG, but I have thoroughly enjoyed both and the C8 post .31 looks pretty damn good. Its not hard to do a few tweaks to minimize black crush, look forward to the gamma fix.
Last night I upgraded to .55 from usb. Can anybody point me to the tweaks that need to be made to fix black levels before we get the gamma fix? I want to rewatch last weeks episode of GOT
post #16369 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Anyone play around with the Dolby Access app from the LG app store? Some pretty cool DV demo clips in there to show off. I completely forgot about it.
Anyone having an issue with this app not working? Picked up a C8 a couple weeks ago and tried this app (which I used to enjoy on my TCL) but it only gives me a black screen.

Jack Gilvey

SVS Customer Service
post #16370 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I been having a great time with my C8, but I think I lost my lottery panel, started about 3 weeks ago, first time it was really small and it went away after a second or so, but now they are getting longer,thicker and they stay on for a longer period of time (right now maybe 45 seconds to 1 minute). every-time the TV gets turn on for the first time in the morning or if its been off for more than 4 hours this happens, all the HDMI sources, Netflix build it, and even the LG app store. on the bottom left side. Just want to make sure this is not common for anybody else.

Thanks

Pic 1 is from Xfinity box
Pic 2 is from Netflix from LG
Pic 3 is from LG App Store
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	2561428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	2561430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	2561434  
post #16371 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felang View Post
Last night I upgraded to .55 from usb. Can anybody point me to the tweaks that need to be made to fix black levels before we get the gamma fix? I want to rewatch last weeks episode of GOT

Can you get basic patterns for brightness color and contrast? Turn off energy saving features and that alone will get you closer to your goal.

Disney Wow is a good inexpensive start and has test patterns for oled too

post #16372 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno2284 View Post
I been having a great time with my C8, but I think I lost my lottery panel, started about 3 weeks ago, first time it was really small and it went away after a second or so, but now they are getting longer,thicker and they stay on for a longer period of time (right now maybe 45 seconds to 1 minute). every-time the TV gets turn on for the first time in the morning or if its been off for more than 4 hours this happens, all the HDMI sources, Netflix build it, and even the LG app store. on the bottom left side. Just want to make sure this is not common for anybody else.

Thanks

Panel :-( can swap or service?

post #16373 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

Is there any way you could postpone the Calibration. If it was me I would let them get this Gamma, or whatever thing straight before the Calibration. I am afraid if you did it now you may end up spending more money down the line.
Just something to think about.
calfcramp and smurraybhm like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #16374 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmoidial View Post
Does anyone have any experience with LG honoring a warranty even if it's from an unauthorized dealer? I'm going through something that seems pretty sketchy right now. I ended up getting a C8 through Gameliquidations via Newegg, but when the box arrived, it had a label on it that said

As far as I know, LG, or at least SquareTrade (who I purchased an additional two years from) require your invoice as proof of purchase, especially as it being sold in new condition.
This gets discussed regularly on the deals thread. I've never read of a forum member not getting their displayed serviced by LG. If someone who had bought their display from an unauthorized source experienced what you are asking about, then you can bet there would be a very active thread about it on AVS. Square Trade makes it clear that to extend via them it has to be an authorized seller. That being said, many of those selling via eBay or here on AVS offer solutions like Mack, which has a good reputation should you feel the need to extend the warranty. Chris from Cleveland may have something to offer or additional advice.
chunon likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #16375 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno2284 View Post

Thanks

My C8 is two weeks old. I have not seen that and it would concern me if I did. If you can still return and get a new one I would.
lorenzo1000 and calfcramp like this.

Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf L/R
Aperion Verus Grand Center Channel
Aperion Verus Forte Satellite
SVS PB-1000
Denon X3400 / LG C8 65inch OLED / ATV4K
post #16376 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just for kicks I watched part of GOT again on HBO GO using "HDR Effect - Low" on my .31 C8. It is not how it was meant to be seen (for you video purists) and seemed a little washed out, but it is interesting the way it seems to map below black details and enhance highlights. You could actually see a lot more of what was going on.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #16377 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Just for kicks I watched part of GOT again on HBO GO using "HDR Effect - Low" on my .31 C8. It is not how it was meant to be seen (for you video purists) and seemed a little washed out, but it is interesting the way it seems to map below black details and enhance highlights. You could actually see a lot more of what was going on.

Not surprising since there a more refined steps in hdr. That’s one of the selling points of hdr both at the dark end and bright end . Got is made for hdr , too bad it’s not available yet outside of season 1.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #16378 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, it seems to lift up the bottom end, and in doing so partially avoids some of those problem areas.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #16379 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 4522 Post(s)
Liked: 6817
Well, episode 3 is certainly good enough to watch more than once.... I shall have to try it

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #16380 of 20464 Old 05-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi! I recently updated to 4.10.55 on my lg65c8pua. I previously had .15 and I used a combination of rtings and flatpanelshd to use as calibration settings. Can you guys tell me what you suggest for sd, hdr, and Dolby vision? I’ve been trying to get a calibration expert to calibrate my tv with calman but it seems as though he’s reluctant to do it with all of the recent lg updates and limitations with cal man auto cal and etc. he’s waiting on the contact between lg and calman to get back to him but he reached out to him a while ago, so I’m starting to think I won’t get a calibration from this guy. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page