2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 548 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81046Likes

post #16411 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Good morning

I really hate to ask this but it's been bugging me for some time so I am just going to. Can someone recommend a scene or test or something I can do to see if my TV suffers from Black Crush? I know it's not something one wants to find out, but I just want to know. I've been curious about it for awhile. I just really don't know a way to go about testing for it.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16412 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
I did a calibration on .55 and overall more pleased than on .15. Tv was reset to defaults after update anyway. GOT s08e03 looked good as well with no too dark scenes observed (other than what director said that shooting it dark was intentional)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was this a full calibration (calman)? I think I am still leaning towards the next firmware that was hinted would contain a gamma fix before I leave .15

I downloaded all of the test files that are mentioned earlier in the forum and my set looks very good on the test files. Pluge is dead on at 50 brightness. If I click 1 step up or down its totally wrong. Gamma is on BT.1886 and shadow detail is great. All the steps in the multi step greyscale are distinct. Now of course I am sure that a technical calibration would find errors in grey scale steps that could be made better, but 90% of our viewing is just regular OTA TV. Only 4K I use is Netflix and Amazon.
post #16413 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Applying calibration settings (achieved with a colorimeter) derived from another panel to yours may make your issue worse because of component tolerance differences. Every panel responds differently. Besides, all you would be doing is adjusting your panel to the other one.

The only reason for a professional calibration done with a colorimeter on your own panel is to achieve as much accuracy as possible. ANY other ad hoc adjustments done without a colorimeter om your own panel is a crap shoot for accuracy. That includes using a "calibration" disc such as WOW or AHS 709 or even just following RTings.com calibration suggestions. Even simply using RTings.com suggested Gamma setting alone would be no different than using any other properly calibrated suggestion from someone here on AVS Forums. It is still ad hoc and still a crap shoot.
calfcramp likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16414 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3517 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
The only reason for a professional calibration done with a colorimeter on your own panel is to achieve as much accuracy as possible. ANY other ad hoc adjustments done without a colorimeter om your own panel is a crap shoot for accuracy. That includes using a "calibration" disc such as WOW or AHS 709 or even just following RTings.com calibration suggestions. Even simply using RTings.com suggested Gamma setting alone would be no different than using any other properly calibrated suggestion from someone here on AVS Forums. It is still ad hoc and still a crap shoot.
Isn't that sort of what I just said? I didn't use the term "crap shoot" but that's a fairly accurate assessment.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #16415 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
Was this a full calibration (calman)? I think I am still leaning towards the next firmware that was hinted would contain a gamma fix before I leave .15

I downloaded all of the test files that are mentioned earlier in the forum and my set looks very good on the test files. Pluge is dead on at 50 brightness. If I click 1 step up or down its totally wrong. Gamma is on BT.1886 and shadow detail is great. All the steps in the multi step greyscale are distinct. Now of course I am sure that a technical calibration would find errors in grey scale steps that could be made better, but 90% of our viewing is just regular OTA TV. Only 4K I use is Netflix and Amazon.

Okay. Maybe I didn’t use the right words. Adjustment (using test patterns) rather than proper calibration like with Calman or others. :-)

post #16416 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 10:10 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Isn't that sort of what I just said? I

No you didn't say that at all. What you said was the pro forma for this site precautionary BS that plugging in another panel's calibration settings to your own panel could be practically destructive to your panel.

[quote]"Applying calibration settings (achieved with a colorimeter) derived from another panel to yours may make your issue worse because of component tolerance differences."[unquote]

Making crap shoot adjustments to picture settings even to the white balance that LG has made possible for the average user to do is not the same thing as going into the Service Menu with a special remote control unit and blindly altering engineering settings. The latter could indeed be destructive but not the former. Your standard precaution against using another panel's calibration adjustments in the user menu is wrong because while such may not achieve accuracy they also will not brick your LG. Any implication otherwise merely sets off so many newbies on this thread to become neurotic about using the FAQing user menu.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #16417 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Good morning

I really hate to ask this but it's been bugging me for some time so I am just going to. Can someone recommend a scene or test or something I can do to see if my TV suffers from Black Crush? I know it's not something one wants to find out, but I just want to know. I've been curious about it for awhile. I just really don't know a way to go about testing for it.

Thank you.
Just purchased a 55” B8 and would love to have a way of testing for black crush as well (particularly during Best Buy’s return window). Can black crush be fixed via any settings adjustments without messing up other things, or is the gamma fix firmware update everyone is waiting for the only true fix? Thanks for any info. FYI got Best Buy to price match NewEgg's price of $1069. A steal assuming the black crush can/will be fixed.
post #16418 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatest View Post
Just purchased a 55” B8 and would love to have a way of testing for black crush as well (particularly during Best Buy’s return window). Can black crush be fixed via any settings adjustments without messing up other things, or is the gamma fix firmware update everyone is waiting for the only true fix? Thanks for any info. FYI got Best Buy to price match NewEgg's price of $1069. A steal assuming the black crush can/will be fixed.
Please be advised there is no price talk on the forum

Test patterns can be found here, just use the search feature or look for them on YouTube or Google. Almost all are free..

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #16419 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Yea I'm on .15 and have an appointment with Jeff Meier in 2 weeks and I've never had a TV calibrated before and he's on tour and who knows when someone else will be in Sacramento so I'm in a tight spot! Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Jeff did mine last September and it looks stunning. He is a great technician (surround sound, also), informative and fun to talk to about all this. You will be very happy with his work.
macmane likes this.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #16420 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3517 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
[quote=RBO;57993410]No you didn't say that at all. What you said was the pro forma for this site precautionary BS that plugging in another panel's calibration settings to your own panel could be practically destructive to your panel.

Quote:
"Applying calibration settings (achieved with a colorimeter) derived from another panel to yours may make your issue worse because of component tolerance differences."[unquote]

Making crap shoot adjustments to picture settings even to the white balance that LG has made possible for the average user to do is not the same thing as going into the Service Menu with a special remote control unit and blindly altering engineering settings. The latter could indeed be destructive but not the former. Your standard precaution against using another panel's calibration adjustments in the user menu is wrong because while such may not achieve accuracy they also will not brick your LG. Any implication otherwise merely sets off so many newbies on this thread to become neurotic about using the FAQing user menu.
Huh I said no such thing. Nothing was mentioned at all about "destruction" to a panel or using the Service Menu with the possibility of bricking the tv. Using someone else's calibration settings may or may not work due to component tolerance differences. It certainly can't damage the tv but you may not get the results you expect.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #16421 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6757 Post(s)
Liked: 6761
Quote:
Good morning

Thank you.
You realize you can unsee what you have seen, might watch to reconsider
post #16422 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Was there ever a firmware version that had zero black crush issues? I've seen questionable youtubers criticizing black crush on OLEDs, but always assumed they were using bad presets/settings or running a firmware with known issues. RTINGS suggests starting with a gamma setting of 1.9 if you are noticing black crush, but are the current firmware’s problems with black crush more complicated than simply setting gamma to 1.9 as a starting point? Thanks, and sorry for the price talk.
post #16423 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 85
There's usually a trade-off between black crush and near-black artifacts on OLED. Some panels are better than others. If you're happy with your display, don't go looking for problems. If you start seeing artifacts, your blood pressure might start rising.
tanman, calfcramp and djoberg like this.

post #16424 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Was there ever a firmware version that had zero black crush issues? I've seen questionable youtubers criticizing black crush on OLEDs, but always assumed they were using bad presets/settings or running a firmware with known issues. RTINGS suggests starting with a gamma setting of 1.9 if you are noticing black crush, but are the current firmware’s problems with black crush more complicated than simply setting gamma to 1.9 as a starting point? Thanks, and sorry for the price talk.
Could you please link the RTINGS suggestions you're referring to?
post #16425 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I know, it's not the best thing to know. But I would like to know.
post #16426 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 302
New to LG C8. Is there any setting where one can choose Input1 to be either HMDI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 compatible ... for EDID handshaking purposes? Can't find it. This can be done with JVC projector and RMC-1 audio processor. Thx.
post #16427 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post
New to LG C8. Is there any setting where one can choose Input1 to be either HMDI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 compatible ... for EDID handshaking purposes? Can't find it. This can be done with JVC projector and RMC-1 audio processor. Thx.

All inputs are 2.0 compatible and therefore contain above beyond 1.4?

post #16428 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1323
Quote:

The current issue is a firmware malfunction and should be fixed hopefully in the upcoming weeks. In the meantime you can alter the lower ire settings in the advanced picture settings

post #16429 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Just purchased a 55” B8...
There is a separate thread for the 2018 LG B8 series, not sure if any firmware, tweaks, etc... for the C8-E8 series are applicable to B8 series.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...rice-talk.html
post #16430 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5026 Post(s)
Liked: 7350
Just caught up on today's posts. Wow, quite bad tempered in places! It's been a long week

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Your standard precaution against using another panel's calibration adjustments in the user menu is wrong because while such may not achieve accuracy they also will not brick your LG. Any implication otherwise merely sets off so many newbies on this thread to become neurotic about using the FAQing user menu.
I'm quietly pleased to see my FAQing adjective taking hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post
Welcome!
Picture / Additional settings / "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour". On=HDMI2.0. Off=HDMI1.4
calfcramp and Carbon Ft Print like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #16431 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
J-snip
I'm quietly pleased to see my FAQing adjective taking hold.
-snip

You mean adverb or maybe even verb!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #16432 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Welcome!
Picture / Additional settings / "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour". On=HDMI2.0. Off=HDMI1.4
Thx. Would of never guess this. Much appreciated!
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #16433 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 115
is the amazonprime connection worth exchanging tv over? My buddy is exchanging his 65C8 for another 65 C8 because of trouble connecting with Prime. Has this issue been resolved. IMO exchanging the tv will not 'fix' the problem.
post #16434 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
All inputs are 2.0 compatible and therefore contain above beyond 1.4?

Sometimes the many pieces of equipment in the video signal path don't sync up (blank screen) due to EDID and HDCP handshaking incompatibilities. Sometimes this has to do with new versus older equipment. Forcing LG's input to HDMI 1.4 makes it easier for older equipment to sync up with LG C8 (new equipment) ... older equipment usually has HDMI 1.4 connectors or older.
post #16435 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Could you please link the RTINGS suggestions you're referring to?
It's a video ..

You can go to youtube and search LG C8 rtings or lg C8 settings, and you just look for the rtings video

tanman and mrtickleuk like this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #16436 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 342
^^ Golly Sargent! I have no idea how to tell people to research and use the search function.
post #16437 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
It's a video ..

You can go to youtube and search LG C8 rtings or lg C8 settings, and you just look for the rtings video

Ah ok. I know the video you mean. I didn't realize it was in thier regular settings video! Thanks!
post #16438 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 288
About the FAQ.

People ask how to find it (the FAQ). People say to use "search". Sorry, but here you can't search for a three letter word. Too short.

The mods could put a link in the first post, but have decided not to.
agerson likes this.
post #16439 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
is the amazonprime connection worth exchanging tv over? My buddy is exchanging his 65C8 for another 65 C8 because of trouble connecting with Prime. Has this issue been resolved. IMO exchanging the tv will not 'fix' the problem.
No problem with it here, nor has there ever been. To answer your question; no - exchanging the TV won't fix "it".
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #16440 of 22112 Old 05-03-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5026 Post(s)
Liked: 7350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
Never heard of it. It's far more likely to be an issue with his router/ISP/Wifi/etc/lots of other things than the hardware of the TV.
If it's the hardware of the TV, then every app would have the same problem, not just one of them!
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page