2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 551 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78783Likes

post #16501 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiman View Post
I apologize in advance for another new owner question. But here goes:

I just checked the firmware number for my new LG C8. It says it is 04.10.15.

I know that 04.10.55 is the latest version.

My TV is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. However, when I select for the TV to search for the latest update, it comes back and says that no newer update is available.

What's up? I assume I can do a manual update. But I'd like to understand why the online update doesn't work.

Thanks.
The over the air updates don't always get released at the same time when the downloaded version from the LG site is available

Also they send out the updates in batches in case something goes wrong, not everyone is affected. So you may not be in the que yet.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16502 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
The over the air updates don't always get released at the same time when the downloaded version from the LG site is available

Also they send out the updates in batches in case something goes wrong, not everyone is affected. So you may not be in the que yet.

Yes. But surely there is a newer update than .15 that is available now, even if the .55 is not yet available.
post #16503 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Yes. But surely there is a newer update than .15 that is available now, even if the .55 is not yet available.
The newest update .55 is on their website. When new updates come out any prior over the air updates are usually removed from ota que.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16504 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
The newest update .55 is on their website. When new updates come out any prior over the air updates are usually removed from ota que.

OK. Still, I would think the next-to-most recent update would remain online until the new one replaces it. But maybe that's not how it works. Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I have now called LG and they claimed that I should see the .55 update. They were unsure why I did not...and suggested I do a hard restart (which I intend to try this evening).
calfcramp and Jrocker23 like this.
post #16505 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
OK. Still, I would think the next-to-most recent update would remain online until the new one replaces it. But maybe that's not how it works. Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I have now called LG and they claimed that I should see the .55 update. They were unsure why I did not...and suggested I do a hard restart (which I intend to try this evening).

I am in the same situation....unable to find the new update via WiFi.
post #16506 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6391 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post
Just got my 77" C8 delivered yesterday and set up today. To say this is the best TV I've ever owned would be the understatement of the century. I still have a 65" B6 that looks great, but this thing blows it away on every level. I don't think I've ever been happier with an electronics purchase.
LOL, no doubt, 77" of pure bliss.......
calfcramp and Bigmoviefan like this.
post #16507 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 07:51 PM
hgf

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've had my C8 for about 8 hours now and I did a quick gray uniformity test.

In the 5% gray pattern, there is a lot of vertical banding as well as a large oval visible in the center of the screen. In the 50% gray pattern, there is a yellowish hue just to the right of center and along the left side (not really visible in the photo). I noticed this yellowish hue in actual content as well.

Do any of these raise an immediate red flag that would warrant a replacement or should I keep letting the TV break in? The large oval visible in the 5% gray pattern is giving me the greatest concern as it doesn't seem to be normal based on what I have read here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5% gray.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	2562490   Click image for larger version

Name:	50% gray.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	2562492  
post #16508 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgf View Post

In the 5% gray pattern, there is a lot of vertical banding as well as a large oval visible in the center of the screen. In the 50% gray pattern, there is a yellowish hue just to the right of center and along the left side (not really visible in the photo). I noticed this yellowish hue in actual content as well.

Do any of these raise an immediate red flag that would warrant a replacement or should I keep letting the TV break in? The large oval visible in the 5% gray pattern is giving me the greatest concern as it doesn't seem to be normal based on what I have read here.

That is odd shaped for an initial uniformity problem . Has your set run a comp cycle yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #16509 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 08:04 PM
hgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
That is odd shaped for an initial uniformity problem . Has your set run a comp cycle yet?

Are you referring to the pixel refresher? If so, I ran it manually about 4 hours ago.
post #16510 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Are you referring to the pixel refresher? If so, I ran it manually about 4 hours ago.

I would be concerned with the oval...that is definitely not a normal thing for a new tv. I would ask for a replacement from your retailer

post #16511 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
The large oval visible in the 5% gray pattern is giving me the greatest concern as it doesn't seem to be normal based on what I have read here.
What picture mode is that in? Because that oval looks exactly like the one that shows up in game mode, as well as another mode or two that I can't recall, on each of the 2018 LGs I've used. And if that's the case, it's a processing issue rather than a panel issue. Please see if that oval is still present under the ISF Dark picture mode.
calfcramp likes this.
post #16512 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I am in the same situation....unable to find the new update via WiFi.

Is it that hard to download it and drop on a USB?

calfcramp likes this.
post #16513 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM
hgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPbuckwalter View Post
What picture mode is that in? Because that oval looks exactly like the one that shows up in game mode, as well as another mode or two that I can't recall, on each of the 2018 LGs I've used. And if that's the case, it's a processing issue rather than a panel issue. Please see if that oval is still present under the ISF Dark picture mode.

When I plugged in my USB drive, it went switched to APS mode. I thought I had applied APS Dark to all inputs. I switched it to ISF Dark and I did not see the oval, but I did see curved vertical bands on the left side and a slight red hue on the right (it's more pronounced in the photo than what I actually saw). I was able to see the oval in Vivid, Standard, APS, Sports, and Game. The screenshot attached is after switching to ISF Dark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new gray 5%.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	2562510  
post #16514 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I had to replace four C8 to get a good one. The 5th which I purchased in March is almost perfect. No dead pixels, zero banding and zero tinting, the other four looked even worth than yours I could see the banding in all programs so if I was you I would definitely exchange it, this kind of banding will NOT get better.
post #16515 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
I use “tv screen off” via voice command multiple times a day and it works perfectly. One of the greatest features I utilize on this beauty. 🙂
What do you mean by voice command?

thx

bob
post #16516 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Quote:
I use “tv screen off” via voice command multiple times a day and it works perfectly. One of the greatest features I utilize on this beauty. 🙂
What do you mean by voice command?

thx

bob
I use the LG remote that has the microphone button directly above the up arrow to tell the TV to turn off the screen via my voice. 🙂

Last edited by MeganElisabeth; 05-05-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #16517 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I use the LG remote that has the microphone button directly above the up arrow to tell the TV to turn of the screen via my voice. 🙂
That's awesome. I was a little confused by the random characters at the end of your sentence.

bob
post #16518 of 19180 Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Quote:
I use the LG remote that has the microphone button directly above the up arrow to tell the TV to turn of the screen via my voice. 🙂
That's awesome. I was a little confused by the random characters at the end of your sentence.

bob
I’m glad you can utilize this amazing feature now too. It’s pretty vital to me now multiple times a day as I start and stop quite often and hate leaving static images on the screen. I love LG for this. Yet another reason the C8 is the best TV I’ve ever owned hands down. 🙂
post #16519 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
When I plugged in my USB drive, it went switched to APS mode. I thought I had applied APS Dark to all inputs. I switched it to ISF Dark and I did not see the oval, but I did see curved vertical bands on the left side and a slight red hue on the right (it's more pronounced in the photo than what I actually saw). I was able to see the oval in Vivid, Standard, APS, Sports, and Game. The screenshot attached is after switching to ISF Dark

I also have this oval when using the game preset and I've also seen it on the sports preset. It's one of the strangest things about this TV as the oval gradually changes size or even disappears when I move the mouse cursor over the screen while displaying the slides on my pc. It might be some weird processing bug but I'm not even gonna try to report this to LG, it's just too much of a hassle trying to make them even understand this...

It never shows up on any of the more accurate presets, so it doesn't bother me too much...

What is APS mode by the way?

edit: made a photo of this with the game preset. I adjusted settings like contrast, brightness, oled-light to where it was visible most severely but it also shows with default settings. While taking the photo the oval would sometimes change size again on it's own.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LG-C8_Game-Preset-Oval.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	455.8 KB
ID:	2562540  

Last edited by jk82; 05-05-2019 at 03:31 AM.
post #16520 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
Is it that hard to download it and drop on a USB?

I guess some owners would rather spend their time bxxxxg vs. downloading it from LGs site via USB. I’ve always considered this to be safer as well. Something I’ve done as an Oppo owner for many years.

Please add to the FAQs that LG pushes out updates in waves via over the air and that you can get the latest greatest from their website and/or the Korean website. For the brave, there is engineering mode to get the latest beta. This has been repeated many times and isn’t new to the 8 series.
DrMichael likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #16521 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Just watched 3 episodes of Season 1 4K GOT Dolby Vision disc using OPPO203. Blacks are fantastic, video quality is WOW, ATMOS audio quality is BOW WOW ... incredible sound imaging (have a 7.2.6 system). These Season 1 4K GOT discs are better than most reference quality 4K HDR/DV movie discs. Extremely satisfied with LG C8 77" OLED ... never got into streaming, if you are wondering.
calfcramp, Tex_Thai and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Carbon Ft Print; 05-05-2019 at 06:42 AM.
post #16522 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have had my LG C8 65 for a little over two weeks. I love it. The only thing that bothers me is I see a little Soap Opera Effect on some content (GOT, Star Wars upscaled from blu-ray), even with all the motion interpolation settings (and other settings like MPEG) completely off. Has anyone else noticed this?

I am not looking to start another general discussion about LG vs Sony. But for this specific issue, I know everyone says the Sony "handles motion better". Is that with motion interpolation on, which I would not intend to use since I hate SOA and don't watch sports, or do you think I would see less SOE on the Sony even with the motion settings off? I can still return it and get the AF8 for another week or so, but that is such a huge pain and I think I did very well in the LG panel lottery.

Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf L/R
Aperion Verus Grand Center Channel
Aperion Verus Forte Satellite
SVS PB-1000
Denon X3400 / LG C8 65inch OLED / ATV4K

Last edited by agerson; 05-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.
post #16523 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agerson View Post
I have had my LG C8 65 for a little over two weeks. I love it. The only thing that bothers me is I see a very slight Soap Opera Effect on some content (GOT, Star Wars upscaled from blu-ray), even with all the motion interpolation settings (and other settings like MPEG) completely off. Has anyone else noticed this?

I am not looking to start another general discussion about LG vs Sony. But for this specific issue, I know everyone says the Sony "handles motion better". Is that with motion interpolation on, which I would not intend to use since I hate SOA and don't watch sports, or do you think I would see less SOE on the Sony even with the motion settings off? I can still return it and get the AF8 for another week or so. I am considering it.

I had AF8 and couldn’t live with Android TV, horrible to manage Bravia Sync and constant ARC issues. The only perfect thing was motion processing and less judder than the C8 bit I can live with that for more flexibility and less headaches overall.

:-)

post #16524 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I also have this oval when using the game preset and I've also seen it on the sports preset. It's one of the strangest things about this TV as the oval gradually changes size or even disappears when I move the mouse cursor over the screen while displaying the slides on my pc. It might be some weird processing bug but I'm not even gonna try to report this to LG, it's just too much of a hassle trying to make them even understand this...

It never shows up on any of the more accurate presets, so it doesn't bother me too much...

edit: made a photo of this with the game preset. I adjusted settings like contrast, brightness, oled-light to where it was visible most severely but it also shows with default settings. While taking the photo the oval would sometimes change size again on it's own.

This does not look to bad to me. I’ve seen much worst.
post #16525 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
Time for the big reveal! Took me a couple of nights, but I finally got HDR calibrated to reference standards. Use Technicolor expert. Leave all the main settings at default and turn off all the picture enhancement features, except dynamic tone mapping. I personally turn it on after my calibration.

White balance: warm 2

2 point high: red 2, green -1, blue-8

Code values rgb
272: 5,6,7
341; 10,10,11
409: 8,8,10
443: 13,13,14
476: 15,15,16
494: 16,16,17
509: 14,14,15
525: 14,14,15
539: 15,15,16
555: 12,12,13
572: 11,11,11
Hi, first of all thanks a lot for posting this. Trying to apply these settings on my set, did apply most of them except I can't find where "Code values rgb" values are supposed to be set.
In White Balance section I did find a "20 points code value", but "Code Value" are 253, 321, 385, 420, 452, 468, 481, 497, 512, 528, 545, 561, 576...
I'm under firmware 4.10.55. Would be nice if someone could help. Thanks
post #16526 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
I had AF8 and couldn’t live with Android TV, horrible to manage Bravia Sync and constant ARC issues. The only perfect thing was motion processing and less judder than the C8 bit I can live with that for more flexibility and less headaches overall.
So would you say you noticed better motion processing even with all motion interpolation settings disabled? That is really the core of my question. That and if other LG owners see any SOA even with all motion settings off. I use an Apple TV and my AVR so would never touch the Android interface.

Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf L/R
Aperion Verus Grand Center Channel
Aperion Verus Forte Satellite
SVS PB-1000
Denon X3400 / LG C8 65inch OLED / ATV4K
post #16527 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
So would you say you noticed better motion processing even with all motion interpolation settings disabled? That is really the core of my question. That and if other LG owners see any SOA even with all motion settings off. I use an Apple TV and my AVR so would never touch the Android interface.

Although both TVs have virtually the same OLeD panel (LG is the only mass producing manufacturer at this point) the picture processing is slightly better with Sony (something that Bravia TVs are famous for). Sadly I’m not sure what they were thinking when striking a deal with Google for Android TV rather than having something done in house. They used to promote their fantastic for the time XMB interface in the past.

As for the SOA, I use my C8 calibrated with Calman (before it was done via WOW disc) and with all post processing turned off for some content I do see slight SOA - might be part of the actual content more than the actual TV itself.

For the Apple TV 4K. Do you have match range + frame rate turned on?

And on your C8, what is your Sharpness setting set to? Standard 10-15 or lower like 2-5?

post #16528 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 08:38 AM
hgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post

APS is one of the picture settings and it is auto power saving
post #16529 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:

I owned the A8f for about 10 months , yes the motion is better on the A8f . Is it a huge difference ? No . If motion is the most important thing then you might be happier with the Sony, just be aware the A8f has more aggressive abl, Dolby vision is Inferior by a pretty good margin imo. Hdr 10 is more of a toss up. The A8f is quite a bit dimmer on certain content . I haven’t once regretted making the switch to a larger lg. They are both great sets but each has its strengths .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #16530 of 19180 Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 6690
Quote:
APS is one of the picture settings and it is auto power saving
Right. The confusion could be because in some markets (Eg Europe) the mode is identical but it's not called that. It's called "Eco".

For accuracy / troubleshooting, particular with low-level banding etc you should get out of that mode and also make sure "Energy Saving" is off. But yes, wait for the break-in period before making a final judgement.

SDR picture mode (European labels)
jk82 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page