2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 558 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78985Likes

post #16711 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroStaticSpeaker View Post
Ok thanks. So I clicked on the input using the mouse pointer and it states that the input is 16x9 2160p.

Seems like all three devices believe they are outputting or inputting 4k content but for some reason are doing it with black bars on top and bottom unless I use manual zoom. Very confusing.

Hmmm is there another source you can check with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16712 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
You were on the pre macro blocking fix gamma then, you already changed the gamma most likely updating to .55. No one knows exactly what the supposed gamma fix will do . Have you noticed any issues ?

I have not noticed any major issues. Definitely not like most people have here! I do notice that in game mode, It is more washed out then it was before and color saturation as increased. This is only in HDR mode. I am just hoping the supposedly gamma fix one will make it exactly as it was when I had it pro calibrated and the accuracy was spot on. The thing that concerns me about it might not be fixed for me, is that on all other devices, sources, etc, it looks beautiful. That could just be me though.
post #16713 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 06:12 PM

2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
I have not noticed any major issues. Definitely not like most people have here! I do notice that in game mode, It is more washed out then it was before and color saturation as increased. This is only in HDR mode. I am just hoping the supposedly gamma fix one will make it exactly as it was when I had it pro calibrated and the accuracy was spot on. The thing that concerns me about it might not be fixed for me, is that on all other devices, sources, etc, it looks beautiful. That could just be me though.

Sounds like you will be okay . This is definitely out of the ordinary for firmware updates Almost all firmware updates do not affect calibrations , most of the claims are placebo effect imo . This one .15 to .31 was an exception , imo lg should have tested more and gotten it right the first time .

calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 05-08-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16714 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Hmmm is there another source you can check with ?
No 4k output sources freely available. Bunch of 1080p options. I can probably output 4k from my macbook pro as a test a bit later.
post #16715 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
No 4k output sources freely available. Bunch of 1080p options. I can probably output 4k from my macbook pro as a test a bit later.

So only the 4K source exhibits this issue ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #16716 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
So only the 4K source exhibits this issue ?

Yes I am pretty sure. I will try some more testing in a bit. Have some guest over right now.

Annoying they moved my thread into this one where dozens of people are talking about other unrelated stuff.

MODS: Can you please just delete my initial post here and move it back to the separate thread? 99% of people posting here don't care about this issue.
post #16717 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
.. 99% of people posting here don't care about this issue.
I responded earlier without giving you an obvious solution, but what I was implying was that the problem (especially if you tried bypassing the AVR) most likely is in the NVidia Shield settings. I don't own one, so I am just guessing, but try to set it to 1080p output. and if that works, see if it automatically switches to 4K when the source is UHD.

Your best bet might be to post something on a NVidia thread here on AVS or elsewhere.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #16718 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post
I responded earlier without giving you an obvious solution, but what I was implying was that the problem (especially if you tried bypassing the AVR) most likely is in the NVidia Shield settings. I don't own one, so I am just guessing, but try to set it to 1080p output. and if that works, see if it automatically switches to 4K when the source is UHD.

Your best bet might be to post something on a NVidia thread here on AVS or elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply. I actually did see your reply come in via email but I couldn't find it in the thread because it's so busy with everyone arguing about what version is the best to run and why they want to downgrade and what calibration settings are best. All these topics are fine but they completely wash over and muffle anyone posting about specific issues which is why I started a new thread. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it was a double post because obviously that caused the over-zealous moderators to merge it with this one and reduce the chances of resolving my issues to success.

In any case, I did try your suggestion of setting the nVidia Shield output to 1080p but experienced the exact same behavior.

I will try to post over in nVidia shield. Hopefully those moderators don't move it back here too. Sigh. Maybe I just need to create a new account and pretend I am a new person to make them happy.
post #16719 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi -

I've been reading through this thread and can't seem to find an answer. I have .15 and was calibrated by Kevin Miller @ ISF. If I upgrade to .55, do i need a recalibration or just change a few settings.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
post #16720 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6407
Quote:

MODS: Can you please just delete my initial post here and move it back to the separate thread? 99% of people posting here don't care about this issue.
In case you did not know, you can delete your posts, not a thread, but you can delete posts yourself .

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrly View Post
I just picked one of these up yesterday in a 55” on clearance. Is there a comprehensive post with preferred picture settings?
Every person TV is different so keep that in mind. Might want to spend under $20 bucks on a WOW DVD to help with the initial setup.
post #16721 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrly View Post
I just picked one of these up yesterday in a 55” on clearance. Is there a comprehensive post with preferred picture settings?
Start off with the settings from rtings.com. That should get you going and then just let the tv settle in before you use a disk, as suggested above, to adjust the basic settings.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #16722 of 19411 Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
In case you did not know, you can delete your posts, not a thread, but you can delete posts yourself .
I realize this. Perhaps I should have deleted my original post before posting the second thread. I just didnt realize AVS had such over-zealous moderators that have nothing better to do than try to smoosh everything down into the blandest possible representation.

Point taken. Will tread lightly from now on and try not offend their duplicate thread sensory perception.
post #16723 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked: 6707
Quote:
Originally Posted by agerson View Post
I know, but it's a limited sample set. Now that it's being delivered over the air I am expecting many more people will be updating.
That's true

Quote:
The FAQ lists .55 as "still too soon to tell but most people believe that it's slightly better than .31."
It's difficult to summarise. The fundamental problem (the near-black overshoot) is so panel-dependant, on where the native black level of your panel is which may have been hiding it, that you can't just generalise like that. In the same way that I wouldn't put an answer for the best colour or best car into a FAQ.

Quote:
But my understanding was that .15 was better than .31. So depending on how "slightly" and by the transitive property .15 may still be better than .55. I know "better" is subjective. Anyway, just looking for some consensus that updating from .15 to .55 is, in fact, a good idea. The FAQ isn't sure yet so neither am I. But I value your experiences and feedback so far on .55. Was it a clear improvement, in general, over .15 for you?
Thankyou for your kind words .I would only say that .15 was better than .31 IF your panel fell into the category where the near-black overshoot wasn't visible to you before, or you could see it but it did not bother you. As covered in Vincent Teoh's November 2018 videos (hdtvtest on youtube). It would have meant that you had mild black crush before hiding the problem which you were not aware of, and it would mean the new gamma curve will increase that black crush to the point of it being too much. Hence people being up in arms about the new gamma curve.

Very important to remember here that .31 and .55 have the same gamma curve. .55 has good bugfixes over .31.

Also important to remember the reports we've had that LG are going to address the gamma curve from .31 and .55 so this is still a moving target!

So the question about whether .55 and .31 were better than .15 for me is really a question about my own panel's native black level. I did see the near-black overshoot, and it did bother me a lot. So to answer just for me then yes, for my panel, LG's attempts to address and mitigate this are very welcome.

HTH
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #16724 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoury View Post
I attached half of the stand to it.

The stand comes in two parts -- a short but heavy part, which will form the rear part of the stand and presumably bears most of the weight, and a long curved part, which will form the front part. Reason is, the speakers are downward firing, and when I first wall-mounted the TV, I found the sound was really piss-poor, often way too soft. The front part of the stand seems to be designed to "scoop" sound from those speakers forwards, and I found it did help somewhat. The front part attaches via two screws, one at each end, to the underside of the TV -- it is possible to install this part without installing the heavier, short part of the stand. You could do it after mounting (which is what I had to do), although some dexterity will be required, and see if you agree that the sound is somewhat better.
I did this too, mounted only the front curved section. The sound is so much better.

Chris.
post #16725 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I accidentally updated to .55 when I had been on .15. I've had the set just shy of five weeks and was finally happy with the picture.

Now I'm back to noticing crushed blacks that I felt had actually cleared up some just from having 300 hours on the set at this point on .15.

I accidentally updated because I was navigating menus, hitting ok, and the update thing popped up for a second and I accidentally confirmed yes instead of declining it as my inputs on the remote were not intended for that dialog box that had popped up.

Pretty bummed out I had gotten so happy with the picture, now I guess I'll be waiting for the rumored update.
post #16726 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
You missing that plasma yet?

--I wonder if plasma TV's where still being made where they would be over all these years where they could have advanced?
I replaced my Pioneer 111FD plasma I had for 10 years and I'll admit, I miss it. King of all displays.
gene9p likes this.
post #16727 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Subtly pushing people to Sony ?

Very true. Lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-X940E; Yamaha RX-A1060; Nvidia Shield TV; OPPO BDP-93; Yamaha RX-A1070
post #16728 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Boy LG is not have to much luck with firmware updates on this model......
While I often complain about LG's incompetence, at least they are not ignoring/denying the overshoot flashing issue like Sony does.

www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/04/08/oled-tv-flashing-and-blocking-problems-sony-responds
If I was a Sony owner reading a response like in that article would leave a very bad taste in my mouth.
chunon and mrtickleuk like this.
post #16729 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
Quote:
I realize this. Perhaps I should have deleted my original post before posting the second thread. I just didnt realize AVS had such over-zealous moderators that have nothing better to do than try to smoosh everything down into the blandest possible representation.

Point taken. Will tread lightly from now on and try not offend their duplicate thread sensory perception.

I hope you enjoyed your brief time on AVS
Personally I don't think that mods are appreciated enough, and that's coming from someone who has gotten sideways with them a few times.

Back to our never ending firmware discussion

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #16730 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
I would give the person a break. Most of us probably don't know that "Windows Phone" still exists.
I’m not able to downgrade too, I have an Androis phone, but my PC has floppy discs only.

I’m on .55 now, from .31 via OTA.
post #16731 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
While I often complain about LG's incompetence, at least they are not ignoring/denying the overshoot flashing issue like Sony does.

www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/04/08/oled-tv-flashing-and-blocking-problems-sony-responds
If I was a Sony owner reading a response like in that article would leave a very bad taste in my mouth.
The worst is when these updates create major problems and fix minor issues. I guess a manufacturer probably does not know 100% of the repercussions until you launch an update. In a "small" way firmware updates are like time travel, in some cases a update fixes issues that should have been good at the release of the product. Well the manufacturer can go back and change all that now, the problem is the "Butterfly Effect"......

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 05-09-2019 at 08:08 AM.
post #16732 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can someone help me in searching this forum? I was told to click on the 3 dots on the right hand side to do so but I do not see them. I want to downgrade to 4.10.15. Thanks.

Kim
post #16733 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just wish when you click "No" on the update nag it would not come up again and again
post #16734 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thunder07 View Post
I just wish when you click "No" on the update nag it would not come up again and again
If you've been married for more than a few decades, you get used to this.
CarlosC, calfcramp, rdgcss and 3 others like this.
post #16735 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just had a question regarding the dimming system of the LG C8. I have seen lots of discussion about dark scenes getting darker over time due to dimming but in my case, I have noticed the opposite. I have not noticed any dimming issues with dark scenes but I have with brighter content. Bojack Horesman on Netflix is a good example, the picture starts off nice and bright but will slowly get dimmer as the episode progresses until a new scene starts to bring the brightness back up. Some people have said that opening the tv menu or something similar returns the tv to full brightness but that has no effect for me. Does this sound like normal behavior? I'm using the isf dark preset with firmware 4.10.15. I also have the energy saving features turned off. Just trying to sort out any protentional issues while i'm still in my return window Thanks!
post #16736 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post

Code values rgb
272: 5,6,7
341; 10,10,11
409: 8,8,10
443: 13,13,14
476: 15,15,16
494: 16,16,17
509: 14,14,15
525: 14,14,15
539: 15,15,16
555: 12,12,13
572: 11,11,11

Can someone confirm "code values" are different on the new .55 firmware?
Because I'm on .55 and values are 253, 321, 385, 420, 452, etc. on my set.
Seems like I can't change these values since they are not identical.
post #16737 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
If you've been married for more than a few decades, you get used to this.
I've been married FOREVER and that's why I want to control at least one thing in my life.
calfcramp and rdgcss like this.
post #16738 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:41 AM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 61
LG C8 FAQ
Answers to your FAQing questions

Please read the following before posting questions in this thread. This is to spare regular contributors having to answer the same questions repeatedly. Thank you for your cooperation.

Click on the blue show spoiler button below to see the post.
Spoiler!

Updated

I'm a web developer Jim, Not a doctor!

C8 FAQ

Last edited by jcc; 05-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #16739 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsax View Post
Can someone confirm "code values" are different on the new .55 firmware?
Because I'm on .55 and values are 253, 321, 385, 420, 452, etc. on my set.
Seems like I can't change these values since they are not identical.

The HDR calibration codes are different when using USB or internal apps compared to HDMI sources. They can also change when sending different metadata.
post #16740 of 19411 Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can someone help me in searching this forum? I was told to click on the 3 dots on the right hand side to do so but I do not see them. I want to downgrade to 4.10.15. Thanks.
Don't know about dots but this seems to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-05-09 111333.png
Views:	48
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	2564616  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page