2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 568 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81513Likes

post #17011 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkat007 View Post
Have an issue with my C8 when streaming 'Amazon Prime'. While streaming 'Sneaky Pete', buffering symbol appeared. Was not really buffering at all, just the app froze. Could not use any apps on the TV from the Home button from that moment on. Even restarting the TV did not help. Only unplugging the TV seemed to restore all the functionality back to the TV. Although not frequent, it is getting very annoying since it is difficult to get to that outlet behind the TV. Anyone else with similar streaming issues?

No. I was streaming Long Strange Trip on Amazon Prime, via the ATV4k this afternoon and it was perfect. 65 C8.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17012 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Oops. Yes. https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-OLED77C8LLA has it.

I think they are allergic to the words "with" and "without". Short of space on the page, I think. I read the wrong one. I hate unnecessary abbreviations, they never help.

eelton posted it! And has posted a much better picture. Anyway glad the confusion about where the thin and thick bits end has been cleared up, which was my main aim
Does LG C8 77 support 12bits or only 10bits for color? See only "billion color" in referenced doc from LG. Thx.
post #17013 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Quote:
Have an issue with my C8 when streaming 'Amazon Prime'. While streaming 'Sneaky Pete', buffering symbol appeared. Was not really buffering at all, just the app froze. Could not use any apps on the TV from the Home button from that moment on. Even restarting the TV did not help. Only unplugging the TV seemed to restore all the functionality back to the TV. Although not frequent, it is getting very annoying since it is difficult to get to that outlet behind the TV. Anyone else with similar streaming issues?
I have never streamed Sneaky Pete but I've streamed tons of other series (like Hanna, The Widow and Jack Ryan) and I've never had any problems.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 05-12-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17014 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I use a Harmony 700 with no issues.

Tried that one but the software kept locking up on me. Seems what ever Harmony I try the software is always an issue.
post #17015 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Tried that one but the software kept locking up on me. Seems what ever Harmony I try the software is always an issue.
That's weird. I've programmed probably a half dozen Harmony remotes using two different computers and never had an issue. Are you sure it's not something with your computer?
post #17016 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
That's weird. I've programmed probably a half dozen Harmony remotes using two different computers and never had an issue. Are you sure it's not something with your computer?

Don't think so I tried 2 different Harmony remotes and always freezes at 'Add Activities'.
Oh well, I'll figure something out, back to C8's.
post #17017 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
Interesting. I've had an 850 that worked well for years and then I moved up, or down as it were, to a pair of 700's for the downstairs and upstairs HTS. Never had an issue with software (if by software you are referring to the MyHarmony on your computer). It has always worked just fine on my Macs over the years.
dreaux likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #17018 of 22909 Old 05-12-2019, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
By default, for Game Mode:
SDR - Advanced Controls / Colour gamut (Auto/Extended/Wide) is locked to "Wide". This is by design, and won't change regardless of how many times people keep asking "does the new firmware change this" . However on the 2019 models with the new Alpha2 chip, you can change it in SDR.

HDR - Advanced Controls / Colour gamut - will let you change it. Again by design.

Next, if you calibrate any picture mode using Calman's 1DLUT greyscale, then certain settings will be locked in the user menus. Only the White balance, color temp, and Gamma controls are affected. (If anything else is locked, it is not because of the Calman 1DLUT!). The technical explanation of why is here:

So on the 2018 models, to get accurate SDR Game Mode colours you have to calibrate, unfortunately. Then it will be locked to the calibration, which will be "correct" rec.709 - "correct" in quotes because there's no standard for video games' colour gamut, just adopting the movie industry's rec.709 may or may not be right.

Thanks, you're helpful as usual! What about applying all settings to other inputs, does that carry over the color, gamma and white balance settings or would that have to be redone for each input and sub settings? My calibrator said he spoke to Calman themselves and they replied it should all carry over. Don't know how true that is. I have some inputs and sub settings showing those 3 settings available, is the reason I am asking.
post #17019 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 12:31 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7059
Quote:
Yea!.... moving up from my LG Oled C7 55" to LG Oled C8 77" today. Happy with the deal.
The 77" has has 96% more screen area. Congrats, I think you might see a difference....lol
post #17020 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked: 3898
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Thanks, you're helpful as usual! What about applying all settings to other inputs, does that carry over the color, gamma and white balance settings or would that have to be redone for each input and sub settings? My calibrator said he spoke to Calman themselves and they replied it should all carry over. Don't know how true that is. I have some inputs and sub settings showing those 3 settings available, is the reason I am asking.

That’s a bug in the lg I think, I have seen the same thing but I believe the calibration is active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #17021 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I don't think you are sorry, really, so why say it? You just need to WAIT.

The only thing people have seen that's changed is that the default gamma curve is restored, and the mechanism to "roll back" has been blocked on that firmware. So if you install it, it's a one-way trip. This has been covered several times, there's nothing else so say yet.

You're asking a question about a beta Engineering firmware based on the first two days of people experimenting with it, and one person thinking he's imaging a change and asking if anyone else has (they haven't). It's much much too soon to expect any kind of meaningful answer, so to repeat your question as if it was missed is premature to say the least. It wasn't missed. It's too soon.

Ooookay. I guess, you could be right. Maybe I was a bit over excited, because it would be cool if LG had changed the tone map curve in the direction of the 2019er. Well then I'll wait patiently for other experiences.
And ...I knew that my repeated request maybe could annoy some of you, so yes, I was a little, little bit sorry. Believe me
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #17022 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 86
So you're 5% sorry,thats comforting.
post #17023 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

I had a similar issue. LG has a quick start feature (sorry, I don't recall the exact feature name but it can be disabled in Settings) that caused a similar issue on my C8. Once disabled the problem hasn't reoccurred. The difference is it takes a few seconds more to boot but it's no big deal.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
post #17024 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
I had a similar issue. LG has a quick start feature (sorry, I don't recall the exact feature name but it can be disabled in Settings) that caused a similar issue on my C8. Once disabled the problem hasn't reoccurred. The difference is it takes a few seconds more to boot but it's no big deal.
I will try to see if it clears up the problem. My only concern is, that by having TV go off rather than standby, will the pixel refresher run as expected after every four hours of use?
post #17025 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
I will try to see if it clears up the problem. My only concern is, that by having TV go off rather than standby, will the pixel refresher run as expected after every four hours of use?
Yes
DERG likes this.
post #17026 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 55" C8 and have a couple of setup questions. I tried calling LG support but just got people reading from scripts...

Question 1: The TV's channel guide successfully displays my set top box's channel menu but it always starts at channel 1. My HD channels start at 600... Is there a way to get the guide to start at a specified channel, or to start up at the last channel you were watching?

Question 2: I have successfully paired the magic remote to my set top box and it will control all of it's features except for the volume. I would really like to ditch the cable remote and just use the magic remote for everything. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
post #17027 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha_p View Post
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 55" C8 and have a couple of setup questions. I tried calling LG support but just got people reading from scripts...

Question 1: The TV's channel guide successfully displays my set top box's channel menu but it always starts at channel 1. My HD channels start at 600... Is there a way to get the guide to start at a specified channel, or to start up at the last channel you were watching?

Question 2: I have successfully paired the magic remote to my set top box and it will control all of it's features except for the volume. I would really like to ditch the cable remote and just use the magic remote for everything. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
First of all, welcome to the C8 family!!! I hope you enjoy this amazing TV!! I don't know about question 1, but for question 2, are you using your TV to output the audio or a soundbar/speaker system? Either way, I would try to max the volume of your set box and control the volume from your TV and not your set box. Hopefully that makes sense. I control my audio through my receiver....so I have maxed the cable box volume and adjust through my AVR.
post #17028 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBF View Post
First of all, welcome to the C8 family!!! I hope you enjoy this amazing TV!! I don't know about question 1, but for question 2, are you using your TV to output the audio or a soundbar/speaker system? Either way, I would try to max the volume of your set box and control the volume from your TV and not your set box. Hopefully that makes sense. I control my audio through my receiver....so I have maxed the cable box volume and adjust through my AVR.

Thanks. The TV does look great. I have the audio connected to an external AV receiver via the optical connection. Again, and this point really confused the lg "tech support", I am not trying to control the televisions volume function with the magic remote as there is a fixed volume level from the optical output. I am trying to get the magic remote to work as a universal controller for my cable box (which is working) for all functions other than volume control.
post #17029 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
No, not necessarily. If you have had a conversation with the person who graded it, and you know what was intended, then you could know whether or not what is shown as "very very dark" on screen was intended to be full black or not.
I think there are quite some of those persons that only intend to do it fast and cheap. Even some directors intend to do it differently after a couple of years.
calfcramp likes this.
post #17030 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks. The TV does look great. I have the audio connected to an external AV receiver via the optical connection. Again, and this point really confused the lg "tech support", I am not trying to control the televisions volume function with the magic remote as there is a fixed volume level from the optical output. I am trying to get the magic remote to work as a universal controller for my cable box (which is working) for all functions other than volume control.
Ah, ok...I see what you are saying. I am not sure how to do that, I would have to check that out. I am using a Harmony Elite remote and that controls the volume through my AVR. So not sure what or if there are limitations with the magic remote. Sorry!!!
post #17031 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Does it say in the manual or from other sources that the remote can serve as universal remote to other devices other than the volume?

I am using harmony but interested how can you set up the remote like harmony

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
post #17032 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5383 Post(s)
Liked: 7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post
Does LG C8 77 support 12bits or only 10bits for color? See only "billion color" in referenced doc from LG. Thx.
Exactly the same as all the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 TVs. They have a true 10bit panel. They will accept inputs of 8bit, 10bit and 12bit. Obviously 12bits won't be displayed as 12bits because it's a 10bit panel, but depending on the TV's processing engine, it can look better than 10bit at the same resolution. This is one of many, many reasons why the people who say "there's no point having Dolby Vision because it's 12bit and no-one yet has a 12bit panel" are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
You're welcome, it should copy everything over in the top "Picture Mode" settings menu. Things in the sub-menus like "Noise Reduction" etc aren't copied.
The TV only has 5 SDR LUT slots (allocated for Cinema, Game, technicolor Expert, ISF Expert (Bright Room), ISF Expert (Dark Room)). Then the 3 HDR slots and the 3 dolby vision slots. These LUT slots are shared across all sources and inputs, regardless of what the menus say

As @chunon so rightly says, there is a bug and sometimes the White Balance etc which should be locked out appears to be adjustable. If you switch sources/modes a few times it should be locked again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
Very good advice. It's in General and called "Quick Start+". HTH

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17033 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
Does it say in the manual or from other sources that the remote can serve as universal remote to other devices other than the volume?

I am using harmony but interested how can you set up the remote like harmony

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Yes, it is supposed to work as a universal remote for a lot of devices. I understand that some things simply won't pair/or work but my cable is pairing which makes not being able to control the volume frustraing.
post #17034 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I've had several issues with some of the streaming apps on my E8:

1) Amazon - Picture will freeze but the sound continues. No buffering symbol appears. Have to back out of whatever I'm streaming then go back and hit resume.
2) Similar on Netflix
3) Vudu - a real mess. Was great when I go the set in December but started to go downhill in February. Will get a message like "Can't play your content" or something to that effect about every 10 to 20 minutes. Was watching Bumblebee last month and it was every 5 to 10 minutes.
4) Google Play - Watching Ray Donovan and had the whole set lock up. Had to reboot.

Although the effect differs slightly by app I think its all an app problem on the Webos OS system. I have the set direct wired on Cablevision with 200MBPS. I don't have the quick start enable either so I don't think that is an issue. Set updated last week to the latest FW.

As much as I don't want to I may have to get an Apple TV. I don't think there is another streaming box that includes DV but I have not investigated this in the last 4 to 5 months so I don't know what is currently available from the usual suspects. My wife loves not having to handle another remote. If I have to go to a separate box we wil have to add the cost of a Harmony in to the mix.
post #17035 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5383 Post(s)
Liked: 7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Rebel View Post

1) Amazon - Picture will freeze but the sound continues. No buffering symbol appears. Have to back out of whatever I'm streaming then go back and hit resume.
2) Similar on Netflix
3) Vudu - a real mess. Was great when I go the set in December but started to go downhill in February. Will get a message like "Can't play your content" or something to that effect about every 10 to 20 minutes. Was watching Bumblebee last month and it was every 5 to 10 minutes.
4) Google Play - Watching Ray Donovan and had the whole set lock up. Had to reboot.
Got to General and turn off "Quick Start+". Then do a power-cycle of the TV.
DERG and calfcramp like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17036 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 02:43 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
When the tide goes out you can see who's been swimming naked, and I don't want to be one of those people

Takes "total transparency" to a whole new level. Best and funniest metaphor I've seen in ages.
tanman, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #17037 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 364
^^ The tide goes out because of the moon and then you moon back!
RBO, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #17038 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Yes, it is supposed to work as a universal remote for a lot of devices. I understand that some things simply won't pair/or work but my cable is pairing which makes not being able to control the volume frustraing.
If I understand correctly you want to universal remote to control your cable box for everything (which is working), except the volume buttons, which need to control your denon directly - that right? I don't have this exact setup (yay for HDMI ARC), but I did read online that someone with a similar setup had success going through the remote setup and adding it as a denon soundbar.
post #17039 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT-Rebel View Post

2) Similar on Netflix

Although the effect differs slightly by app I think its all an app problem on the Webos OS system. I have the set direct wired on Cablevision with 200MBPS. I don't have the quick start enable either so I don't think that is an issue. Set updated last week to the latest FW.

As much as I don't want to I may have to get an Apple TV. I don't think there is another streaming box that includes DV but I have not investigated this in the last 4 to 5 months so I don't know what is currently available from the usual suspects. My wife loves not having to handle another remote. If I have to go to a separate box we wil have to add the cost of a Harmony in to the mix.
Awhile back, I had many of your issues. Most were resolved when I disabled the dual router connection(Ethenet+wi-fi). I did not realize that the tv was capable of communicating over both at the same time. Either one by itself was OK. My only remaining issue is with Amazon prime video crashing all my streaming capable apps, leaving only HDMI ports working. So far that has been OK since disabling quick start. Time will tell on that though.
post #17040 of 22909 Old 05-13-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyJ View Post
If I understand correctly you want to universal remote to control your cable box for everything (which is working), except the volume buttons, which need to control your denon directly - that right? I don't have this exact setup (yay for HDMI ARC), but I did read online that someone with a similar setup had success going through the remote setup and adding it as a denon soundbar.

Thanks. I'm not trying to control my AV receivers volume function, I'm trying to control my cable boxes volume function. The remote will work to control some AV receivers but mine is a little obscure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page