2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 574 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81490Likes

post #17191 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 776
[QUOTE=bobkat007;58055798]Can someone here recommend a test UHD Blu-ray disc for a novice without test equipment? I'm looking for content also, maybe where I can compare the affect different modes have on the overall picture being displayed on screen.[/QUOTE

For UHD you might try
https://oppodigital.com/HDR-10_Test_Patterns_Suite.aspx

Content
https://www.whathifi.com/features/11...st-your-system

Last edited by dreaux; 05-16-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17192 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3888
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
chunon, I didn't mean to insult you and I apologize if I did, brother. And I didn't mean to suggest anyone who accesses the service menu is foolish. I was suggesting that anyone who accesses the service menu who 1. is not fully confident of what they are doing and not used to accessing and navigating service menus, and 2. is accessing the service menu because they cannot wait a few weeks to get firmware that will be released to the public if it is good firmware -- is foolish.

There are indeed some capable people on this forum for whom it will not be an issue. But I think we have seen there are some folks who should not be poking around in there -- despite ample warnings and identification of the risks. And if the only people poking around in the service menu were those folks who met the qualifications set forth above, then there wouldn't be much problem with LG butting beta firmware updates in the service menu.

Okay fair enough , actually I did take one of the beta firmwares so I guess I fit in your “foolish” category , that would include several other people here also . I am really tired of taking about this anyway so peace .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #17193 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
If people are upset that this was discussed previously on page 172 of a 573 page-long thread and want to tell me that I must be terrible at using the search function. . . so be it. I'm asking anyways. . .

I've been goofing around with Plex. Has anyone else noticed that the Plex app available via the LG Store on the C8 introduces a lot of soap opera effect even when Tru Motion settings on the TV are adjusted. For all other devices and inputs, I find that De-Judder of 2 and De-Blur of 0 (zero) makes for a film-like experience. But for the built-in Plex app, those settings seem to have no effect at all. I have to turn off Tru Motion altogether (and even then it seems overly smooth). Just odd. Anyone else notice this?

I seem to recall somewhere in this thread that some said some settings don't take effect right away. I've tried power cycling the TV, but that's about it on that front.

Any other plex users on this TV notice such things?

--B

P.S. Googling came up with similar complaints for Plex on XBox. But no solutions.

I don’t know much about plex. Its my guess is it has something to do with the frame rate of the material , do you know what the frame rate is ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 05-16-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17194 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
ABSL is burnin protection that IMHO should only be turned off if you are using the TV in professional setting or if you completely understand the risks. For most people with a family that also uses the TV, I would highly suggest that you leave ABSL turned on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some may need to for calibration purposes. I know AutoCal has a frame insertion that gets around ABSL during autocal. But if you wanted to do a meter profile first (i1pro2 to C6 to example), would you need to turn off ABSL to do so?
post #17195 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
Quote:
Isn't "access" only available through the service menu? Or did I miss something? I wouldn't say LG is at fault for people diving into the service menu to get firmware that is not released to the public in an official update -- but again, maybe I don't understand something.
Yes, the "access" I was referring to is "through the Service Menu." But in LG putting it there, "some" may access it and download the firmware. LG knows of this possibility so why would they put firmware in there which could potentially prove to be harmful? Granted, the masses won't go into the Service Menu, but the small minority who do could download it and end up with bad firmware. This would be their fault (for they knew the risk involved), but the fault also lies at the feet of LG for putting it there before the "Quality Control Process" has been completed.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 05-16-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #17196 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 1719 Post(s)
Liked: 2309

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Yes, the "access" I was referring to is "through the Service Menu." But in LG putting it there, "some" may access it and download the firmware. LG knows of this possibility so why would they put firmware in there which could potentially prove to be harmful? Granted, the masses won't go into the Service Menu, but the small minority who do could download it and end up with bad firmware. This would be their fault (for they knew the risk involved), but the fault also lies at the feet of LG for putting it there before the "Quality Control Process" has been completed.

End users were never intended to go into this menu, you can’t even activate it unless you have a special remote or a Harmony, since somebody has added that special remote code to it.

Factory menus have always existed but you’re on your own if you mess with anything in there there’s no way to restore any values in there. People have been screwing themselves over in service menus since back in the CRT days. This is a general owners thread and plenty of people that have no idea what they’re doing stumble into this thread, even if they don’t post. Encouraging the average Joe to enter a service menu is a terrible idea.

People have gotten way too flippant about service menus and they never give warnings to general users on what can happen if you screw things up in there because they don’t know what you’re doing.
vince48, calfcramp and djoberg like this.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #17197 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Okay fair enough , actually I did take one of the beta firmwares so I guess I fit in your “foolish” category, that would include several other people here also .
I said "and" and not "or" in my list of "qualifications. In other words, one is arguably foolish if they are accessing the SM only to expedite a FW update AND if they really aren't sure what they are doing.

I'll edit my post to make that clear.

Last edited by smitty; 05-16-2019 at 11:59 AM.
post #17198 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5363 Post(s)
Liked: 7752
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
I won't be surprised if the next FW release to the public will be the last for the C8. I'm sure LG is as tired of this incessant should I or shouldn't I FAQing FW as are the C8 owners.
LG are spending their time developing and testing it, not reading this FAQing thread!

You could be right in that they will now turn their attention to any issues that crop up with the 2019 models. However as I mentioned in passing a while back - if it's true that the 2019 models also have the near-black chrominance overshoot as well, and LG continue to refine and improve whatever workaround they implement, we should benefit from that development too.

My suggestion for FAQ text to remove ambiguity and alleviate questions like DrMichaels would be something like:
Q: I'm on firmware earlier than 4.10.15, should I upgrade my firmware?
A: if it's earlier than 4.10.15, then yes definitely. This firmware fixed a very long-standing bug with HDR luminance fluctuations which was present since at least version 3.00.63. You do not want to be on firmware earlier than this. Do not pass go, do not collect £200, upgrade it baby. See the next question for which version to upgrade to, however.

Q: I'm on firmware 4.10.15 (or 4.10.20 in the UK), should I upgrade my firmware?
A: The visibility of the problem LG is addressing at the time of writing (near-black chrominance overshoot) is heavily depending on your individual panel. This means you should not, and can not, make a good decision just based on the most popular answers. You must decide based on how bad the issue is for your panel at the moment.

Versions between 4.10.31-4.10.55 do address dark detail with improved dithering patterns. However they also have a "higher" gamma value for dark details which means "crushed blacks" for many users which can't be fixed accurately very easily.

On 10th May 2019 an engineering version was first seen which has the original gamma values restored and it is probably best to wait for this version to finish its testing and be made available to all. But if you are feeling adventurous, 4.10.55 is a stable firmware.

Q: I've heard there's an engineering firmware which fixes X, should I install it?
A: No.

Q: Why not? Totes Emosh!
A: If you need to ask, you won't understand the answer.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-16-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #17199 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
End users were never intended to go into this menu, you can’t even activate it unless you have a special remote or a Harmony, since somebody has added that special remote code to it.

Factory menus have always existed but you’re on your own if you mess with anything in there there’s no way to restore any values in there. People have been screwing themselves over in service menus since back in the CRT days. This is a general owners thread and plenty of people that have no idea what they’re doing stumble into this thread, even if they don’t post. Encouraging the average Joe to enter a service menu is a terrible idea.

People have gotten way too flippant about service menus and they never give warnings to general users on what can happen if you screw things up in there because they don’t know what you’re doing.

All due respect , but no one is encouraging anyone to do anything here. I have never given directions or told anyone to go into service menu And most people add appropriate warnings , if someone chooses to disregard that not much we can do about it .

calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 05-16-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #17200 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
-snip People have gotten way too flippant about service menus and they never give warnings to general users on what can happen if you screw things up in there because they don’t know what you’re doing.

On this forum maybe there are bunch of smart EEs, SW engineers or people who have a lot of money when they brick the unit!
post #17201 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 147
People in this thread need to chill. We all have a TV that (nearly) all of us love. And yet after 574 pages, it appears to me that several people are burned out on either this thread, their TV, or both. Together with what more and more seems like a clique of old/grizzled "thread veterans" who now see the arrival of newcomers and honest questions as a distraction from the usual activities in their OLED thread clubhouse.

Maybe take a break? The TV and this thread will still be here when you get back.
post #17202 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Although I am technical person, my eyes are not technical enough to notice flaws like gamma curve (I don't even know the effect of that with my eyes) so I'll just go with the latest fw. I am on the latest fw and it looks amazing for me on my settings using isf bright (isf dark is too dark for my taste).

So the consensus of which fw is good is whatever looks amazing to our own eyes and satisfied with it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
post #17203 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
Together with what more and more seems like a clique of old/grizzled "thread veterans" who now see the arrival of newcomers and honest questions as a distraction from the usual activities in their OLED thread clubhouse.
I don't think that's a fair characterization at all. Rather, I think a number of us get frustrated with people asking the same questions over and over, when often a review of the last few pages of the thread, or a quick search of the thread, will yield the answer. Some people (even some who have been forum members for years) expect us to do their work for them -- sometimes to answer them WE then have to do a search -- and they don't exercise common courtesy. At the very least, they could do a quick search and then say, "Folks, I did a search and can't seem to find anything helpful. Could someone help me with ______ or point me in the right direction."

It's the constant questions about the same stuff that has been discussed before many times that is readily searchable that diverts the thread from important developments and issues and causes it to comprise hundreds of pages.

And I don't see people here as a "clique" at all. People here are very helpful to newcomers -- provided some common courtesy is exercised.

And last but not least, don't call us "old."
dreaux, chunon, Jrocker23 and 1 others like this.
post #17204 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Personally, I think I'd rather just have the question answered by some folks who aren't burned out on doing so. Rather than having several people blast the person for asking it, have the person asking then respond in kind, and the ensuing go-round, plus now the mentioning of the FAQ (which itself is a source of contention), and then, of course, have people ask where the FAQ is. . .

Getting too bent out of shape about repetitive questions on internet forums is sorta like complaining that water is wet, or that bears continue to use our national forests as restrooms. At some point, it's less disruptive to just accept certain realities when the disruption of conversation and the influx of current news is the concern.

--H
calfcramp and axle7 like this.
post #17205 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 693
On a lighter note here's my cal report gurus what are u seeing here lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #17206 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7019 Post(s)
Liked: 7036
Quote:
I live in California where we sometimes get heavy rain, and it is inevitable that no matter how many times the media and government say not to cross swollen streams, people still do it and some get swept away. So there is something to be said for anticipating that foolish people will do things that they ought not to do. Still . . . people should learn to be patient and not do things they ought not to do -- like cross swollen streams, and poke around in the service menu if they are not certain of all the risks and are not capable of dealing with the consequences.

But that's just my opinion.
The problem is, why is there not a password or something for the turning on the engineering firmware setting in the service menu if it not meant to be used? I bet there may be a firmware update for that real quick
post #17207 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of LG OLED’s are actually problematic with the issues described in this thread?

5%

20%

50%

75%
post #17208 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Does anyone have an idea of what percentage of LG OLED’s are actually problematic with the issues described in this thread?

5%

20%

50%

75%

Kinda hard to extrapolate , those posting in avs make up such a small portion of the total ownership population , things also get blown way out of proportion here in my experience . I think are better than average of getting a problem free set I have owned 4 different models and never had an issue .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17209 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
On a lighter note here's my cal report gurus what are u seeing here lol

Looks okay I don’t see de stats unless I missed it , software looks like it’s from the 70s but that shouldn’t impact the calibration , most important thing is what you think ?

calfcramp, macmane and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17210 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks okay I don’t see de stats unless I missed it , software looks like it’s from the 70s but that shouldn’t impact the calibration , most important thing is what you think ?

I love it. First time getting a calibration and I can see why its highly recommended C8 is a Beast of a tv

calfcramp likes this.
post #17211 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I love it. First time getting a calibration and I can see why its highly recommended C8 is a Beast of a tv

Yours is the only opinion that matters , there is no going back to an uncalibrated tv just be warned lol

calfcramp and macmane like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17212 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yours is the only opinion that matters , there is no going back to an uncalibrated tv just be warned lol

I concur

post #17213 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I concur

Just curious did your calibrator use the 20 point controls ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17214 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just curious did your calibrator use the 20 point controls ?

Yes he did

post #17215 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Yes he did

Cool enjoy !

macmane likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17216 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cool enjoy !

Do you normally use the 20 point controls when you calibrate?

post #17217 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Do you normally use the 20 point controls when you calibrate?

Yes absolutely if I was doing a manual cal , I have been doing autocal on my set though .

macmane likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17218 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5363 Post(s)
Liked: 7752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
If you mean the near-black overshoot problem, there is a dedicated thread with a poll giving accurate numbers:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...lems-poll.html

HTH
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17219 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
LG are spending their time developing and testing it, not reading this FAQing thread!

Probably so, and yet LG were clued in somehow that there are two third party apps out there that enables non-approved parties to fiddle around with the beta testing and perhaps even call to ask for support assistance when they screw up in the SM complicating the results of LG's beta FW test reports. Ergo, the last two engineering beta FW have disabled the hack programs ability to revert from inappropriately used beta FW to previous officially released FW. The coincidence seems curious to me is all. And I see it as a possible dire warning.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 05-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #17220 of 22874 Old 05-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Probably so, and yet LG were clued in somehow that there are two third party apps out there that enables non-approved parties to fiddle around with the beta testing and perhaps even call to ask for support assistance when they screw up in the SM complicating the results of LG's beta FW test reports. Ergo, the last two engineering beta FW have disabled the hack programs ability to revert from inappropriately used beta FW to previous officially released FW. The coincidence seems curious to me is all. And I see it as a possible dire warning.

Yikes better look under your bed , I think there is someone there

smurraybhm likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page