2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 579 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78886Likes

post #17341 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Here is a question....

If you download a beta FW and then the official one releases with the same number, does it overwrite it or do nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17342 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Here is a question....

If you download a beta FW and then the official one releases with the same number, does it overwrite it or do nothing?
It won't do anything because it's the 2 are the same. If anything was different in the official release, the numbers would be different

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
mrtickleuk and iamgarffi like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #17343 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
It won't do anything because it's the 2 are the same. If anything was different in the official release, the numbers would be different

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

That is correct. With most software deployment forks it’s just an ftp location with two or more locations.

If 05.20.00 becomes the public version it will be simply moved from dev /qa folder to production.

Since I’m Happy with what I see in 05.20.00 I changed my NSU servers to public. The next release that i should see (if LG decides to pursue this further) is higher then .20.

In similar way Apple operates with their beta releases of iOS. Receiving Golden Master build of their firmware doesn’t guarantee the official Release if no additional changes implemented or build number change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17344 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiman View Post
And yet...I still disagree. I have decades of experience with all sorts of products that involve regular upgrades...including computers that deal with security flaws far more serious than anything this TV is likely to have. And none of them nag me to upgrade with the frequency that this TV does. Sure there may be examples of worse behavior. But that's not a justification for being not quite so bad. There's a balance to be struck...between what the company wants you to do and recognizing that the consumer may have legitimate different ideas. LG has not found it. And that's all I have to say on this subject. I appreciate hearing your different point of view. But I am moving on.
I agree. Only if an upgrade is actually an upgrade for everyone and not a downgrade for some, then nagging to update would not be an issue. However, with software there can always be new issues, so the nagging should only start after the software has proven itself (no new complaints from customers).
That some here also install engineering updates helps LG with this.
post #17345 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6401 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpinguin View Post
I agree. Only if an upgrade is actually an upgrade for everyone and not a downgrade for some, then nagging to update would not be an issue. However, with software there can always be new issues, so the nagging should only start after the software has proven itself (no new complaints from customers).
That some here also install engineering updates helps LG with this.
There will probably always be winner or losers......
post #17346 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 987
I can envision it now:

The scene: An internal meeting at LG:

Manager: "Guys, I think we have a great set, this new OLED. Any other suggestions as to any possible improvements or any other issues?"

A: "Yes, there is the group of enthusiasts out there that sometimes can see issues with our newest OLED sets that 98% of our consumers cannot see or that do not bother them. Of course, we try to fix them with software upgrades, but this technology being what it is, no upgrade results in a perfect set, and there are panel differences as we know. So sometimes this 2 percent doesn't want to update the software when we have upgrades -- and they get bothered by the message that pops up on the set asking them if they want to upgrade."

Manager: "Well they can just select "no" when the message pops up, right?"

A: "Yes, but they don't like the nagging."

B: "What if we just eliminated the nagging message?"

Manager: "The folks in Legal and in Engineering strongly advise against this. As a general rule, we want our consumers to have the latest upgrades, for a whole bunch of reasons I don't think we need to get into."

B: "But what do we do about that fact that this 2 percent sometimes doesn't want to upgrade because they claim that, while the upgrade fixes some issues, it is not perfect?"

C: "I've got it! What we can do is not put the message asking if the consumer wants to upgrade until there are no more complaints from any of our customers."

Manager: "Great idea. Let's establish a department to monitor the number of complaints from the 2 percent of consumers who actually notice changes when we do an upgrade and when the 2 percenters don't complain anymore about a single issue with our software upgrades, then and only then will we put the message out to the general public advising them of an upgrade."

A: "But this might take a long time and won't this prevent most consumers from getting upgrades we think are necessary and cause the very problems that Legal and Engineering are trying to avoid?"

Manager: "Perhaps, but I'll talk with Legal and Engineering. I'll tell them the most important thing is to keep those 2 percent happy and not to worry about the other 98% of our consumers -- you know, the normal folks."

Last edited by smitty; 05-19-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #17347 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
There will probably always be winner or losers......
Does anyone here have any major complaints with PQ in regards to the current LG C8's Firmware?

Panasonic GT50 55"

SONY X900E 75"
post #17348 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 3472
^no...absolutely happy with mine, no crush, no overshoot, nothing to report other than GOT looked great on HBO go!
calfcramp, Tony1 and iamgarffi like this.
post #17349 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post
Does anyone here have any major complaints with PQ in regards to the current LG C8's Firmware?

04.15 okay
04.31-55 bad
05.20 (dev) very good

calfcramp likes this.
post #17350 of 19307 Old 05-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppebi View Post
I would like to ask you if my TV is ok or I should ask for a repair or replacement.
I hope that is from your camera, bad angle, or some type of color anomaly in your room because that is the worst panel I have ever seen on this forum.
As I wrote the picture is overexposed because taken in a very dark room so the actual screen has a dark grey background (5% grey) with these darker areas. TV setting was ISF dark room with 25 oled light.
I have tried another shot in a brighter room but I had to switch to ISF bright room (oled light 70) to notice the darker areas.
Here is the picture (sorry for the curtains!!):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190520_065611_1558332783739.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	2569066  
post #17351 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I can envision it now:

The scene: An internal meeting at LG:

Manager: "Guys, I think we have a great set, this new OLED. Any other suggestions as to any possible improvements or any other issues?"

A: "Yes, there is the group of enthusiasts out there that sometimes can see issues with our newest OLED sets that 98% of our consumers cannot see or that do not bother them. Of course, we try to fix them with software upgrades, but this technology being what it is, no upgrade results in a perfect set, and there are panel differences as we know. So sometimes this 2 percent doesn't want to update the software when we have upgrades -- and they get bothered by the message that pops up on the set asking them if they want to upgrade."

Manager: "Well they can just select "no" when the message pops up, right?"

A: "Yes, but they don't like the nagging."

B: "What if we just eliminated the nagging message?"

Manager: "The folks in Legal and in Engineering strongly advise against this. As a general rule, we want our consumers to have the latest upgrades, for a whole bunch of reasons I don't think we need to get into."

B: "But what do we do about that fact that this 2 percent sometimes doesn't want to upgrade because they claim that, while the upgrade fixes some issues, it is not perfect?"

C: "I've got it! What we can do is not put the message asking if the consumer wants to upgrade until there are no more complaints from any of our customers."

Manager: "Great idea. Let's establish a department to monitor the number of complaints from the 2 percent of consumers who actually notice changes when we do an upgrade and when the 2 percenters don't complain anymore about a single issue with our software upgrades, then and only then will we put the message out to the general public advising them of an upgrade."

A: "But this might take a long time and won't this prevent most consumers from getting upgrades we think are necessary and cause the very problems that Legal and Engineering are trying to avoid?"

Manager: "Perhaps, but I'll talk with Legal and Engineering. I'll tell them the most important thing is to keep those 2 percent happy and not to worry about the other 98% of our consumers -- you know, the normal folks."

This is brilliant.
calfcramp likes this.
post #17352 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post
This is brilliant.
They don’t need to worry, normal folks just press ok for an update so implement nagging functionality is not needed for those folks. Luckily for us though, LG still puts effort into making the remaining 2% also happy. They could also just ignore, since it is only 2%.
calfcramp likes this.

Last edited by Edpinguin; 05-20-2019 at 04:32 AM.
post #17353 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
04.15 okay
04.31-55 bad
05.20 (dev) very good

You need to stop please - blanket statements regarding firmware are wrong. While .31 or .55 may have been bad for you, it has been a game changer for others - like me. .15 had my display looking like crap and the gamma getting messed up with .31 was well worth it in my case (and many others on this thread) for what it did to address SDR macroblocking and the near black issue. I suggest if you aren't happy with .15 you upgrade to .55, if you are happy at .15 then stay until the latest developer firmware goes public.

This isn't an open and shut case as you continue to expound - falsely - as panels do matter
RiverSide, rynberg, drewTT and 1 others like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #17354 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 05:05 AM
i2k

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just picked up the C8 77 to replace my C6. Nice set! HUGE. I’ll be scouring this thread to find the best visual settings and tweaks. Al good except the buying experience at Best Buy left a little to be desired. The set had 80 hours in it and was missing the remote.. a little shady to sell me a “new” tv but really an open box. The clincher was that the zip code was already set on the menu system— lol. Ended up getting a new remote and open box pricing.

Gardo, calfcramp, dreaux and 1 others like this.

SVS PB2000 Sub
NVIDIA Shield Gen 2
post #17355 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
You need to stop please - blanket statements regarding firmware are wrong. While .31 or .55 may have been bad for you, it has been a game changer for others - like me. .15 had my display looking like crap and the gamma getting messed up with .31 was well worth it in my case (and many others on this thread) for what it did to address SDR macroblocking and the near black issue. I suggest if you aren't happy with .15 you upgrade to .55, if you are happy at .15 then stay until the latest developer firmware goes public.

This isn't an open and shut case as you continue to expound - falsely - as panels do matter
Hum, but iamgarffi was responding to someone asking for personal opinions! Maybe you may want to ask people to refrain from asking for personal opinions!?!? Doesn't make sense to me. I do think there has been too much emphasis in this thread about firmware, but on both sides of the question! Let's be honest, if someone does not care to take the time to read this thread, reads a single comment that a certain firmware is better that an another, and acts on that opinion so be it! They kind deserve to be mislead and they shall live with that decision. Every post here is someones opinion, take it or leave.

Honestly I wonder if post with blatant opinions that could mislead someone bother me more than the posts criticizing someone for stating their experience and opinion.

What does bother me is that someone will get criticize if they state they have problem with a firmware, but no one will ever ever get criticized if they say the love a certain firmware. This is wrong since with panel variance both could be equally wrong!

I learn a lot reading this thread. I read it all and never would I take a single post or a single opinion as the ultimate truth without context and without putting it against others opinions. If newcomers are not doing this, too lazy, whatever, and get burned, tough!

After all its supposed to be a *forum*, no? Personaly, I am interested in everyones experience.

Last edited by jboileau; 05-20-2019 at 06:35 AM.
post #17356 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not to add more fuel to the firmware fire, but I just powered on the TV (late evening local time) and was prompted with a firmware update to version 4.10.60. I skipped it for now but I wonder if this is the new production firmware with the recent fixes?
It’s funny because I’m in the Japan region and we usually get new firmware later than other regions - last over-the-air update was .20...
Curious to see if this pops up in other regions.
post #17357 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 45
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

I’m really happy to see that LG still makes an effort in making the firmware better despite this set being replaced by C9 already. My prior set did not see this much upgrades from Sony and I had one of their top of the line sets. Being a Software Engineer I understand the process and what goes on behind the scene. I’m surprised and glad LG is still allocating Engineering resources to work on our firmware. So be happy folks LG is taking care of us! I’m glad I made the switch after being a loyal Sony customer for years.

calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #17358 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroWorship View Post
Not to add more fuel to the firmware fire, but I just powered on the TV (late evening local time) and was prompted with a firmware update to version 4.10.60. I skipped it for now but I wonder if this is the new production firmware with the recent fixes?
It’s funny because I’m in the Japan region and we usually get new firmware later than other regions - last over-the-air update was .20...
My TV does not show any update yet. 04.10.55 is the lastest version for me. I am from Germany btw...
Do you have engineering mode enabled ?
post #17359 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Maybe .60 is the Japanese equivalent of .55?
post #17360 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

It’s likely the same or not much different from .55. The way conventional software versioning works is major.minor.patch. A patch in this case is likely just a hot fix or some really small update meant for Japan.

post #17361 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
^^^ Agreed. .20 being the Euro (and apparently Japan) version of .15, it makes sense that .60 would equate to the same region version for .55.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #17362 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Some try to lump firmwares into good or bad. I respect everyone's opinion, but many times the criteria are not clear. One persons bad opinion of .15 could be related to something or some source I never experience. What would be useful is a list of releases, their improvements as well as possible impacts to calibrations. For example the changes to IRE 5 in the release after .15. In order for this not to become an argument or flame war, we would just be looking for a users experiences.

If we are the 2%, then I suppose I'm in the .5% that have had a professional calibration done. Still on .15 and for what I watch, internal apps, HD Driectv, a little Roku, my device is great. Sure, I saw something strange in the dark scenes of The Battle of Winterfell, but I try not to concentrate on the 1% or material that looks bad, TO ME.
What I do want to know is, when can I upgrade to the next release and not have my calibration "ruined"? For me, that means tracking and gamma, not so much macro blocking, or PC Inputs. I suspect that ultimately I won't be able to upgrade without a re-calibration, but I can dream.
DrMichael likes this.
post #17363 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
Unfortunately this fix lasted less than two weeks, and now that stuck red pixel is back. hat fix isn't working this time. I'm reluctant to call the Costco Conceirge back because his flowcharts are bound to have me update the firmware (I've been delaying that).

My Costco 90 days end June 2nd. I'm frustatred because I paid to have the TV wall-mounted and I'm not sure how to remove it, or how I'd transport it back to Costco. Any advice?

Just to update my stuck red pixel saga, today LG came out and replaced my panel. Interesting that my total power On Time still register 530 hrs. I have a week now before my return policy expires. I hope I like the new panel because the c65 costs significantly more today than when I bought it, and of course a c9 would be almost twice what I paid for this c8.

Side note... the LG tech who came out was kind enough to help me get the panel off the mount (and back on). He explained LG requires customers to do that themselves. I happily tipped him, of course.
post #17364 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 183
We got our first OLED (55c8) yesterday and the first thing watched was not impressive. Is there a setup guide somewhere in these 579 pages? Or is it in one of the earlier generation threads?

First thing I tried was Underworld UHD from the built-in Amazon Prime Video app. Lots of sparkles. I later tried the Burj Khalifa scene from MI:4 played through AppleTV4k, and was much more impressed, but that is a bright daylight scene.

I have access to test patterns and a Spyder5 from my JVC projector tweaking, but I assume there are some more basic steps to take. I saw the near-black thread and will review that as well. I apologize for asking what is undoubtedly asked repeatedly, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
post #17365 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 292
@ScottAvery : search FAQ.

Edit: I tried and its better to search FAQing and JCC....
post #17366 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengka View Post
Some try to lump firmwares into good or bad. I respect everyone's opinion, but many times the criteria are not clear. One persons bad opinion of .15 could be related to something or some source I never experience. What would be useful is a list of releases, their improvements as well as possible impacts to calibrations. For example the changes to IRE 5 in the release after .15. In order for this not to become an argument or flame war, we would just be looking for a users experiences.

If we are the 2%, then I suppose I'm in the .5% that have had a professional calibration done. Still on .15 and for what I watch, internal apps, HD Driectv, a little Roku, my device is great. Sure, I saw something strange in the dark scenes of The Battle of Winterfell, but I try not to concentrate on the 1% or material that looks bad, TO ME.

What I do want to know is, when can I upgrade to the next release and not have my calibration "ruined"? For me, that means tracking and gamma, not so much macro blocking, or PC Inputs. I suspect that ultimately I won't be able to upgrade without a re-calibration, but I can dream.

I wouldn’t be so sure

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Evangelist - for CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #17367 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
We got our first OLED (55c8) yesterday and the first thing watched was not impressive. Is there a setup guide somewhere in these 579 pages? Or is it in one of the earlier generation threads?

First thing I tried was Underworld UHD from the built-in Amazon Prime Video app. Lots of sparkles. I later tried the Burj Khalifa scene from MI:4 played through AppleTV4k, and was much more impressed, but that is a bright daylight scene.

I have access to test patterns and a Spyder5 from my JVC projector tweaking, but I assume there are some more basic steps to take. I saw the near-black thread and will review that as well. I apologize for asking what is undoubtedly asked repeatedly, but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
(Newest FW): The HDR settings that I use are Cinema and I changed the Brightness 49 (at 50 I was getting over exposure). I kept everything else the same. This is a non-calibrated set as I’m still working on break in. Underworld awakening on Blu-ray has very deep blacks so maybe it’s a source issue? Don’t know if any of this helps but I hope I gave some insight.
ScottAvery and calfcramp like this.
post #17368 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
@ScottAvery : search FAQ.

Edit: I tried and its better to search FAQing and JCC....
Thank you for the answer, and the update! The first answer may have caused me to twitch, but FAQing got me there quickly enough. Cheers!
post #17369 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I streamed using HBO go and the last episode was flawless! I'm still on .15.

It was anything but flawless, but I know you are talking about PQ, not the dreadfully out of character actions and bad writing.

Aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf L/R
Aperion Verus Grand Center Channel
Aperion Verus Forte Satellite
SVS PB-1000
Denon X3400 / LG C8 65inch OLED / ATV4K
post #17370 of 19307 Old 05-20-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3250 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengka View Post

Don't be in a rush to update. Wait for a couple of weeks if you can and see what the other "early adopters" have to say.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page