I can envision it now:
The scene: An internal meeting at LG
Manager: "Guys, I think we have a great set, this new OLED. Any other suggestions as to any possible improvements or any other issues?"
A: "Yes, there is the group of enthusiasts out there that sometimes can see issues with our newest OLED sets that 98% of our consumers cannot see or that do not bother them. Of course, we try to fix them with software upgrades, but this technology being what it is, no upgrade results in a perfect set, and there are panel differences as we know. So sometimes this 2 percent doesn't want to update the software when we have upgrades -- and they get bothered by the message that pops up on the set asking them if they want to upgrade."
Manager: "Well they can just select "no" when the message pops up, right?"
A: "Yes, but they don't like the nagging."
B: "What if we just eliminated the nagging message?"
Manager: "The folks in Legal and in Engineering strongly advise against this. As a general rule, we want our consumers to have the latest upgrades, for a whole bunch of reasons I don't think we need to get into."
B: "But what do we do about that fact that this 2 percent sometimes doesn't want to upgrade because they claim that, while the upgrade fixes some issues, it is not perfect?"
C: "I've got it! What we can do is not
put the message asking if the consumer wants to upgrade until there are no more complaints from any
of our customers."
Manager: "Great idea. Let's establish a department to monitor the number of complaints from the 2 percent of consumers who actually notice changes when we do an upgrade and when the 2 percenters don't complain anymore about a single issue with our software upgrades, then and only then will we put the message out to the general public advising them of an upgrade."
A: "But this might take a long time and won't this prevent most consumers from getting upgrades we think are necessary and cause the very problems that Legal and Engineering are trying to avoid?"
Manager: "Perhaps, but I'll talk with Legal and Engineering. I'll tell them the most important thing is to keep those 2 percent happy and not to worry about the other 98% of our consumers -- you know, the normal folks."