2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 580 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80733Likes

post #17371 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavila View Post
UPDATE: I had not lifted the TV out of the box to see there is most definitely an obviously film on the screen that peels off. Whew! That stressed me out for a moment. I already removed the three films from the back of the TV. Now to fire her up.

Just got my 77" C8. Is there a protective film on the screen that needs to be peeled off? I can see a small bubble in the center of the screen. When you push on it it moves. I called LG support and they said to scratch the corner gently to see if I could peel the film off. I want to know for sure before I attempt to peel anything away from the screen. HELP?!
Yes peel it off from the front and the back

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17372 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by agerson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I streamed using HBO go and the last episode was flawless! I'm still on .15.

It was anything but flawless, but I know you are talking about PQ, not the dreadfully out of character actions and bad writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was definitely a let down for me. It looked nice though.
post #17373 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
We watched Free Solo last night on the 77 and my goodness did that look amazing with the cinematography!
calfcramp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17374 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
We watched Free Solo last night on the 77 and my goodness did that look amazing with the cinematography!
This display really is amazing, isn’t it? Just watched the new 4K discs of Godzilla and Blackhawk Down in my HT and I've come to realize this was the best money I've ever spent. (Thanks again, Jeff, for your calibration expertise). Heading back down to watch The Karate Kid 4K.
calfcramp likes this.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #17375 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
It won't do anything because it's the 2 are the same. If anything was different in the official release, the numbers would be different

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Good to know, thanks.
post #17376 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I can envision it now:

The scene: An internal meeting at LG:

Manager: "Guys, I think we have a great set, this new OLED. Any other suggestions as to any possible improvements or any other issues?"

A: "Yes, there is the group of enthusiasts out there that sometimes can see issues with our newest OLED sets that 98% of our consumers cannot see or that do not bother them. Of course, we try to fix them with software upgrades, but this technology being what it is, no upgrade results in a perfect set, and there are panel differences as we know. So sometimes this 2 percent doesn't want to update the software when we have upgrades -- and they get bothered by the message that pops up on the set asking them if they want to upgrade."

Manager: "Well they can just select "no" when the message pops up, right?"

A: "Yes, but they don't like the nagging."

B: "What if we just eliminated the nagging message?"

Manager: "The folks in Legal and in Engineering strongly advise against this. As a general rule, we want our consumers to have the latest upgrades, for a whole bunch of reasons I don't think we need to get into."

B: "But what do we do about that fact that this 2 percent sometimes doesn't want to upgrade because they claim that, while the upgrade fixes some issues, it is not perfect?"

C: "I've got it! What we can do is not put the message asking if the consumer wants to upgrade until there are no more complaints from any of our customers."

Manager: "Great idea. Let's establish a department to monitor the number of complaints from the 2 percent of consumers who actually notice changes when we do an upgrade and when the 2 percenters don't complain anymore about a single issue with our software upgrades, then and only then will we put the message out to the general public advising them of an upgrade."

A: "But this might take a long time and won't this prevent most consumers from getting upgrades we think are necessary and cause the very problems that Legal and Engineering are trying to avoid?"

Manager: "Perhaps, but I'll talk with Legal and Engineering. I'll tell them the most important thing is to keep those 2 percent happy and not to worry about the other 98% of our consumers -- you know, the normal folks."

Classic!
post #17377 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhur212 View Post
This display really is amazing, isn’t it? Just watched the new 4K discs of Godzilla and Blackhawk Down in my HT and I've come to realize this was the best money I've ever spent. (Thanks again, Jeff, for your calibration expertise). Heading back down to watch The Karate Kid 4K.
I want to pick up Godzilla this week! I hear the Atmos is awesome and it’s a good 4K transfer! Thoughts on the movie?
calfcramp likes this.
post #17378 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbhur212 View Post
Its great when you buy something and continues to WOW for a while .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavila View Post
UPDATE: I had not lifted the TV out of the box to see there is most definitely an obviously film on the screen that peels off. Whew! That stressed me out for a moment.
Reminds me of times in my life where I ruined stuff I had, I pretty much new it was going to happen to but did it anyway, and bam, ruined
post #17379 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
After having my c8 now for 16 weeks the 5% grey uniformity has improved a lot. It was not that bad to begin with but it is now almost perfect. Nice!
post #17380 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
^thats always good news! My C8 has been near flawless since day 1 as well uniformity wise.
calfcramp likes this.
post #17381 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I want to pick up Godzilla this week! I hear the Atmos is awesome and it’s a good 4K transfer! Thoughts on the movie?
Well they don't call it GINO (Godzilla in name only) for nothing. It really is a guilty pleasure for me and still part of the Godzilla universe in some strange way. It's actually not too bad-it's a fun bad movie about a gargantuan iguana wreaking havoc in New York City. Some great miniature work, looked razor sharp (except for some aged effects shots) and the Atmos track is great (the attack on the fishing boat and the helicopter chase are top notch), funny in a strange sort of way (that whole Siskel & Ebert thing) and just plain fun, to me, anyway. It was a perfect summer movie back in 1998-it got you out of the heat and forgotten by the time you got home.
calfcramp and DrMichael like this.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #17382 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having issues with the C8's arc being very finicky? first it was my ps3 which caused it to not work. fixed that with a hdmi cec pin 13 hack. now whenever my cable box is restarted (for whatever reason) arc starts to glitch & the tv needs a power cycle. the other day my internet went off for few minutes (the tv is connected to the router via ethernet cable else inbuilt apps like youtube hdr stutter even on my 50mbps line) & arc stopped working, even a power cycle wouldnt fix it & i had to do a reset by removing all hdmi cables leaving it for a while and then restarting the tv to fix it.

another odd issue is that i have a old wdtv live that i would've liked to use but even though it works on other tv's when i connect it to my C8 there's only a "no signal" screen on the hdmi input after the wdtv's initial splash screen on booting. and even more oddly, if i connect it to the tv via component cable then for some reason the wdtv's home screen menu doesn't come up & only a blank wallpaper screen comes up when switched on the component input so i cannot use it. strange issue.
ItzMe likes this.

Last edited by notpierce; 05-20-2019 at 10:19 PM.
post #17383 of 21633 Old 05-20-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I only have issues with Netflix and Dolby Atmos. My Av receiver recognize the Atmos audio but it will start to play it after a while (sometimes a few minutes). And every time you pause the video it will need the same time to play the sound after you press the play button.
post #17384 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3448 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by notpierce View Post
Is anyone having issues with the C8's arc being very finicky? first it was my ps3 which caused it to not work. fixed that with a hdmi cec pin 13 hack. now whenever my cable box is restarted (for whatever reason) arc starts to glitch & the tv needs a power cycle. the other day my internet went off for few minutes (the tv is connected to the router via ethernet cable else inbuilt apps like youtube hdr stutter even on my 50mbps line) & arc stopped working, even a power cycle wouldnt fix it & i had to do a reset by removing all hdmi cables leaving it for a while and then restarting the tv to fix it.

another odd issue is that i have a old wdtv live that i would've liked to use but even though it works on other tv's when i connect it to my C8 there's only a "no signal" screen on the hdmi input after the wdtv's initial splash screen on booting. and even more oddly, if i connect it to the tv via component cable then for some reason the wdtv's home screen menu doesn't come up & only a blank wallpaper screen comes up when switched on the component input so i cannot use it. strange issue.

ARC/CEC is just generally a pain in the ass. Mostly due to the CEC portion, which is not standardized and can cause all kinds of issues. If you disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices and the issues go away, that's a strong indicator that you mostly have a CEC incompatibility, of which there is very little you can do (no firmware updates to correct it). It's not necessarily the C8. Some folks have had good luck with using the Lindy CECless adapter which blocks the CEC commands without having to remove any cable pins. You can use an optical cable from the C8 to your receiver for the SmartApps or OTA television to replace ARC and use a programmable remote like a Harmony for the CEC portion. Using the Lindy adapter may allow you to keep the ARC functionality so you won't lose that.

You other issue sounds like a handshake problem. How long is your HDMI cable run and are you using High Speed HDMI cables?
calfcramp and notpierce like this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #17385 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
Hum, but iamgarffi was responding to someone asking for personal opinions! Maybe you may want to ask people to refrain from asking for personal opinions!?!? Doesn't make sense to me. I do think there has been too much emphasis in this thread about firmware, but on both sides of the question! Let's be honest, if someone does not care to take the time to read this thread, reads a single comment that a certain firmware is better that an another, and acts on that opinion so be it! They kind deserve to be mislead and they shall live with that decision. Every post here is someones opinion, take it or leave.

Honestly I wonder if post with blatant opinions that could mislead someone bother me more than the posts criticizing someone for stating their experience and opinion.

What does bother me is that someone will get criticize if they state they have problem with a firmware, but no one will ever ever get criticized if they say the love a certain firmware. This is wrong since with panel variance both could be equally wrong!

I learn a lot reading this thread. I read it all and never would I take a single post or a single opinion as the ultimate truth without context and without putting it against others opinions. If newcomers are not doing this, too lazy, whatever, and get burned, tough!

After all its supposed to be a *forum*, no? Personaly, I am interested in everyones experience.
I don't think anyone should be criticized unless they are deliberately trying to mislead someone or if someone lies about something. Everyone who joins this forum should realize there are people who have different levels of expertise in this, and that taking advice from someone without objective facts/evidence is at their own risk. If not and something malignant happens then its the users fault for taking that advice.
I'm waiting for the update to be provided publicly and for someone to show a chart showing that the update fixes the gamma problem and it doesn't raise other issues. Whoever ruins their tv needs to take responsibility for acting upon subjective answers. At the same time people are asking subjective questions, so people shouldn't be criticized for trying to help others by responding.
calfcramp and agerson like this.

Kim
post #17386 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
OLED65C8PUA vs OLED65C8P?

I've noticed these two model numbers listed online. Some sell the PUA, some sell just the P. Can someone tell me the difference between them?
post #17387 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmunsey View Post

I've noticed these two model numbers listed online. Some sell the PUA, some sell just the P. Can someone tell me the difference between them?
All I knw is PUA is US models and I think the other is as well

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
calfcramp likes this.
post #17388 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmunsey View Post

There is no difference, they just labled it with the short version. . It's actually pua

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
chunon likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #17389 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
ARC/CEC is just generally a pain in the ass. Mostly due to the CEC portion, which is not standardized and can cause all kinds of issues. If you disable ARC/CEC on all of your HDMI connected devices and the issues go away, that's a strong indicator that you mostly have a CEC incompatibility, of which there is very little you can do (no firmware updates to correct it). It's not necessarily the C8. Some folks have had good luck with using the Lindy CECless adapter which blocks the CEC commands without having to remove any cable pins. You can use an optical cable from the C8 to your receiver for the SmartApps or OTA television to replace ARC and use a programmable remote like a Harmony for the CEC portion. Using the Lindy adapter may allow you to keep the ARC functionality so you won't lose that.

You other issue sounds like a handshake problem. How long is your HDMI cable run and are you using High Speed HDMI cables?
The problem is if you put off CEC in the tv's menu then the ARC doesnt work at all. I dont need CEC for control & really only bothering with ARC because of the better audio from inbuilt apps (Prime & Netflix) which is the only way to get DD+/Atmos with DV else I would've stuck to optical. Strange thing was how the network going off for few minutes glitched the tv so much & affected ARC.

The wdtv is very close to the tv, so I have a 1.5 or 2 meter cable, not sure if it's high speed (probably not) but didnt think it was needed because the wdtv is only 1080p.
calfcramp likes this.
post #17390 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question OLED55C8AUA Buzz sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post
Order just placed so guess it's time for a thread.
Just purchased the OLED55C8AUA from Costco.
Noticed buzzing sound from speakers when there is no signal to HDMI inputs but when connected device is turned on buzz goes away.
Thought this was a defect so i took set back and got another one but new one does same thing.
Anybody else had this issue?
post #17391 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter12 View Post
Noticed buzzing sound from speakers when there is no signal to HDMI inputs but when connected device is turned on buzz goes away.
Thought this was a defect so i took set back and got another one but new one does same thing.
I have the Oled65C8PUA. When I pause the TV and I believe streams and blu rays my speakers buzz. The buzzing is on external speakers but I imagine it is the same. Wasn't sure if it was a LG tv thing or my speakers. Most probably is the tv then.

Kim
post #17392 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpierce View Post
The problem is if you put off CEC in the tv's menu then the ARC doesnt work at all. I dont need CEC for control & really only bothering with ARC because of the better audio from inbuilt apps (Prime & Netflix) which is the only way to get DD+/Atmos with DV else I would've stuck to optical. Strange thing was how the network going off for few minutes glitched the tv so much & affected ARC.

The wdtv is very close to the tv, so I have a 1.5 or 2 meter cable, not sure if it's high speed (probably not) but didnt think it was needed because the wdtv is only 1080p.
I would try a Premium High Speed HDMI cable anyways. It's certified to meet all HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications and I just think it's a good idea to use certified cables, even for 1080i. My LCD in the downstairs HTS is 1080i only but I still use Premium cables. The same for the C8 in the upstairs HTS especially because I stream exclusively thru the ATV4k and I also have a UHD/BD player. A 6' Premium High Speed HDMI cable (the one with the QR label) is not that expensive at 6'.

As far as ARC goes for Atmos, all you can get at this point in time is lossy ARC, not lossless. DD+ is a benefit if you can really hear the difference between E-AC3 and AC-3 or run 7.1 and Atmos. Both are still compressed audio.
notpierce likes this.

post #17393 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have the Oled65C8PUA. When I pause the TV and I believe streams and blu rays my speakers buzz. The buzzing is on external speakers but I imagine it is the same. Wasn't sure if it was a LG tv thing or my speakers. Most probably is the tv then.

A grounding issue somewhere? I have the 65 C8 and it is as quiet as a church mouse when in pause, regardless of source.
rdgcss likes this.

post #17394 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Never heard of this before with the C8. Sounds like something other than the TV. Are you running things through a receiver or direct to the TV? If it is a ground loop, there is a great product that solved a ground loop buzz I had in my system. Here's a link to the product on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Gr...ateway&sr=8-18
post #17395 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:

You took the set back is the TV or the HDMI cable? Sounds like the HDMI cable(s).
post #17396 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 114
A buddy did the same thing..he says it's his rear speaker with a ground. I tested all his gear and speakers and it was his Marantz surround receiver.Switched to a Yamaha and all was perfect..but he insisted I was wrong..so he returned the Yamaha ..exchanged the Marantz..exchanged the TV, Amazon Prime not working properly too, and you know what he got..LOL. He is using the optical connections and not the HDMI connections which I showed him as an all quiet solution on the first Marantz. Of course if it really was his speaker wire it would still be buzzing.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #17397 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
..Anyway, I'm wondering how the sure app developers knew how to access the USB expert mode. I'm thinking either through reverse engineering or they had insider informations. Who knows maybe they will update the app at one point to make it work again... I don't think that the USB expert mode is permanently disabled, LG probably just changed the way in how to access it...
I was playing around with OpenHAB and the ConnectSDK and figured out how Sure is accessing USB Expert, which is a hidden App. In addition to Apps like YouTube and Hulu, WebOS treats almost everything you see listed in the Home screen as an App, even the HDMI ports. The Sure app "Rubik's Cube" button is using an API (they're big on IoT and OCF standards) that dynamically reads all the WebOS apps available on the C8, even those that are hidden like the USB Expert, and adds a Launch action to the icons. I was able to read USB Expert's app ID which is com.webos.app.softwareupdate. Most likely that app was deleted in the beta firmware (intentionally or not) and Sure doesn't find it. It's also possible that it is there with a different name and hard to find in Sure.

Also, I found that in some older LG models you could get to USB Expert by going to the General menu and pressing the 7 key 7 times. Tried it on my C8 and it did not work.

post #17398 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Interesting.

But if Sure scans the TV for available apps and the usb expert mode was deleted in the beta fw, shouldn't the software update button to access it be gone too then?
If you can find out anything else about this please let us know.
calfcramp likes this.
post #17399 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I know so ... if I can not downgrade anymore, I will not install any software to make experiments on my money. That was the problem with the TV's firmware, that it could make them downgrade, not that it had spoiled gamma, that it was meaningless.
post #17400 of 21633 Old 05-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpinguin View Post
After having my c8 now for 16 weeks the 5% grey uniformity has improved a lot. It was not that bad to begin with but it is now almost perfect. Nice!
Its like a fine wine, it just gets better with time.....
Tex_Thai and chros73 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page