2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 581 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78880Likes

post #17401 of 19301 Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Interesting.

But if Sure scans the TV for available apps and the usb expert mode was deleted in the beta fw, shouldn't the software update button to access it be gone too then?
If you can find out anything else about this please let us know.
calfcramp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17402 of 19301 Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I know so ... if I can not downgrade anymore, I will not install any software to make experiments on my money. That was the problem with the TV's firmware, that it could make them downgrade, not that it had spoiled gamma, that it was meaningless.
post #17403 of 19301 Old 05-21-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpinguin View Post
After having my c8 now for 16 weeks the 5% grey uniformity has improved a lot. It was not that bad to begin with but it is now almost perfect. Nice!
Its like a fine wine, it just gets better with time.....
Tex_Thai and chros73 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17404 of 19301 Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Interesting.

But if Sure scans the TV for available apps and the usb expert mode was deleted in the beta fw, shouldn't the software update button to access it be gone too then?
If you can find out anything else about this please let us know.
I wasn't aware that it was still listed in Sure. That means it must still exist at least as an App ID, but maybe without app code behind it, or the app is broken.

I did a test by adding the Showtime App from the LG Content Store, then refreshing Sure and it displayed in the list. After deleting Showtime it disappeared from Sure as well.
jk82 and chros73 like this.

post #17405 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post
The Sure app "Rubik's Cube" button is using an API (they're big on IoT and OCF standards) that dynamically reads all the WebOS apps available on the C8, even those that are hidden like the USB Expert, and adds a Launch action to the icons. I was able to read USB Expert's app ID which is com.webos.app.softwareupdate.
That's a clever find, thank you!
I wanted to experiment to communicate with the tv with a command line tool websocat (to be able to automate/schedule/script certain things under Windows/Linux/OpenWrt), but I didn't have time so far for it. Have you tried something similar to this? Thanks

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #17406 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Breaking in the set since Saturday and so far I'm loving it. I have noticed some tinting on 100 white. Will this get better with time? I don't notice it regular content. Haven't noticed any banding thankfully. Thoughts on these slides?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_212526 (002).png
Views:	73
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2570016   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.png
Views:	69
Size:	876.9 KB
ID:	2570018  
post #17407 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitegti17 View Post
Breaking in the set since Saturday and so far I'm loving it. I have noticed some tinting on 100 white. Will this get better with time? I don't notice it regular content. Haven't noticed any banding thankfully. Thoughts on these slides?
Can't really comment now. You really need to wait about 200 hours so the panel & tv settle in. What you see now may or may not me there after the break in time...

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
chunon, Elitegti17 and DrMichael like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #17408 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
That's a clever find, thank you!
I wanted to experiment to communicate with the tv with a command line tool websocat (to be able to automate/schedule/script certain things under Windows/Linux/OpenWrt), but I didn't have time so far for it. Have you tried something similar to this? Thanks
I haven't had much time to spend on it or tried any command line scripting. The tricky part with that is that any connection needs to "pair" (raise a prompt or PIN on the TV) before it allows any commands.

I was looking for a way to retrieve Picture and White Balance setting values (so I don't have to write them down by hand post-calibration) and to find a way to set the WB settings remotely. From what I have seen so far, I am not sure either is possible. Best bet may be in ConnectSDK. I looked at Connect-SDK-Windows but haven't gotten very far. There is also Connect-SDK-Android-Core and Connect-SDK-Java-Core without Android dependencies.

The easiest way to communicate with the TV so far has been to download OpenHab which uses the ConnectSDK JAVA fork, run the server and then access the built in Paper UI on that server using a browser. However, it does seem to have limited functionality.
chros73 likes this.

post #17409 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I see talk about a Sure App. Are you all using it to gain access to things on the TV?
post #17410 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I see talk about a Sure App. Are you all using it to gain access to things on the TV?
I've only used it to downgrade the firmware once. Don't really care for a remote on my phone personnaly.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #17411 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hy all. I've been lurking on this forum for years, since buying 55JS8500 4 years ago, but now i need some help.
After months of waiting i finally bought 65C8 and it's gorgeous, nothing bad to say about it. But here in Romania the best compatible soundbar, the LG SK10Y is very hard to find or extremely expensive. Fortunately i have a friend in Austria who will bring it to me at the price of 450E. The only problem is that i can't find the rear speakers extension (SPK8-S) nowhere in Austria or from someone that can deliver in Austria. So anyone in this forum from there that can help me with a link to an Austrian shop or a store located in Wien where my friend can find the SPK8-S (<200E). And the same for the LG TK10 TV kit, impossible to be found.
Anyone know why is so hard to find any of those in Europe ...
Thanks

PS: avsforum is perfect, i read hundreds of pages and never got bored.
calfcramp and chros73 like this.
post #17412 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 218
So I noticed a problem on a 65“ C8 I set up the other day and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with anything like this. Basically in a nutshell a horizontal thick bar appears across the screen that looks kinda like white static noise or garbled noise artifacts of some kind and it flickers off / on the screen at random intervals. I tried bypassing the AV receiver to make sure that wasn’t causing it and I also verified it wasn’t the source content either. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thx

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #17413 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
So I noticed a problem on a 65“ C8 I set up the other day and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with anything like this. Basically in a nutshell a horizontal thick bar appears across the screen that looks kinda like white static noise or garbled noise artifacts of some kind and it flickers off / on the screen at random intervals. I tried bypassing the AV receiver to make sure that wasn’t causing it and I also verified it wasn’t the source content either. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thx

Have you checked to see if is there when using the internal apps? If it isn't I would suggest replacing and/or swapping your HDMI cable plus re-seating them. Hopefully it is something simple.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #17414 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I have similar symptoms but only when I switch to my Apple TV (all devices are HDMI through my Yamaha AVR). A restart of the Apple TV fixes it for me. It’s starts as a minor flickering then after a small amount of time in the ATV it looks like you describe. I need to find time to re-seat my HDMI connections, to start debugging the issue. My cables are all certified bought recently from Monoprice.
post #17415 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I had this issue when I first got the TV, and it was because of my old HDMI cables. Get some new 18Gbps HDMI cables (Monoprice is great).
post #17416 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybolt View Post
I had this issue when I first got the TV, and it was because of my old HDMI cables. Get some new 18Gbps HDMI cables (Monoprice is great).
I’ve always wondered exactly what is certified. Does it mean that specifications meet a certain standard? Have they tested a random set of cables to see if they actually meet specs? Has each cable you received been tested to meet specs? At least some of these questions are very likely true. Even if all are true I think it might still be possible to get a defective cable.
post #17417 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
I’ve always wondered exactly what is certified. Does it mean that specifications meet a certain standard? Have they tested a random set of cables to see if they actually meet specs? Has each cable you received been tested to meet specs? At least some of these questions are very likely true. Even if all are true I think it might still be possible to get a defective cable.

Premium High Speed HDMI cables are tested and certified by an ATC, which is an Authorized Testing Center testing and certifying cables through a standardized set of protocols designed and implemented by HDMI.org. The cables will come with a QR label for authenticity. Any cable mfr can submit their cables to an ATC for testing and certification if they want to subscribe to the program. Certification is for passive cables only and only up to 25'. The certification program is not a 100% guarantee that the cable will work with every given setup but at least the consumer knows that the cable was tested and certified by HDMI.org to meet all of the current HDMI 2.0 hardware standards. It's always possible to get a bad cable but the chances are low with a Premium High Speed HDMI cable.

FWIW, I've used Premium High Speed HDMI cables (BJC) with my C8, ATV4k, Yamaha Aventage receiver, and UHD/BD player with zero issues. ARC/CEC disabled (don't need ARC) and a Harmony remote.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #17418 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

So I'm still using my older Ethernet ready HDMI cables via the Panasonic soundbar and have not noticed any issues other than CEC where I would have to push the input selector on the soundbar, not a problem. As they say if it is not broke I'm not fixing it right now!
post #17419 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by liviux View Post
Hy all. I've been lurking on this forum for years, since buying 55JS8500 4 years ago, but now i need some help.
After months of waiting i finally bought 65C8 and it's gorgeous, nothing bad to say about it. But here in Romania the best compatible soundbar, the LG SK10Y is very hard to find or extremely expensive. Fortunately i have a friend in Austria who will bring it to me at the price of 450E. The only problem is that i can't find the rear speakers extension (SPK8-S) nowhere in Austria or from someone that can deliver in Austria. So anyone in this forum from there that can help me with a link to an Austrian shop or a store located in Wien where my friend can find the SPK8-S (<200E). And the same for the LG TK10 TV kit, impossible to be found.
Anyone know why is so hard to find any of those in Europe ...
Thanks

PS: avsforum is perfect, i read hundreds of pages and never got bored.

Just want to give some friendly advice. I had both the SK10Y and the 9. When using them via arc, there are serious sync issues. Audio is way off. If the source is connected to the SB directly, it is fine. I have a 55C8.

Hope this helps in anyway!
liviux likes this.
post #17420 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Premium High Speed HDMI cables are tested and certified by an ATC, which is an Authorized Testing Center testing and certifying cables through a standardized set of protocols designed and implemented by HDMI.org. The cables will come with a QR label for authenticity. Any cable mfr can submit their cables to an ATC for testing and certification if they want to subscribe to the program. Certification is for passive cables only and only up to 25'. The certification program is not a 100% guarantee that the cable will work with every given setup but at least the consumer knows that the cable was tested and certified by HDMI.org to meet all of the current HDMI 2.0 hardware standards. It's always possible to get a bad cable but the chances are low with a Premium High Speed HDMI cable.

FWIW, I've used Premium High Speed HDMI cables (BJC) with my C8, ATV4k, Yamaha Aventage receiver, and UHD/BD player with zero issues. ARC/CEC disabled (don't need ARC) and a Harmony remote.
I also use 6ft Monoprice certified premium hdmi cables on a similar setup. Never has a premium cable be bad but several years ago I had a non premium Monoprice slim cable be bad “out of the box” , luckily I had ordered an extra.
The point of my post was to hope people would realize that now matter how much testing something goes through you can still get a bad one or one that’s not up to the job. Just because you have the absolute top of the line cable it might not be up to the task, change it for another before looking elsewhere for the problem.
post #17421 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Does the quick start+ setting need to be on in order for the every 4 hour quick pixel refresher to run? All this time I had quick start+ off and assumed it was running.
post #17422 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Does the quick start+ setting need to be on in order for the every 4 hour quick pixel refresher to run? All this time I had quick start+ off and assumed it was running.
It will run with quick start off.
calfcramp likes this.
post #17423 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
I also use 6ft Monoprice certified premium hdmi cables on a similar setup. Never has a premium cable be bad but several years ago I had a non premium Monoprice slim cable be bad “out of the box” , luckily I had ordered an extra.
The point of my post was to hope people would realize that now matter how much testing something goes through you can still get a bad one or one that’s not up to the job. Just because you have the absolute top of the line cable it might not be up to the task, change it for another before looking elsewhere for the problem.
I hear ya but the Premium High Speed cables are not the "absolute top of the line cables". They are just cables that have been tested and certified to meet the current HDMI protocols. Any other cable mfr who advertises their cables as the best is all marketing b.s.

post #17424 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
So I'm still using my older Ethernet ready HDMI cables via the Panasonic soundbar and have not noticed any issues other than CEC where I would have to push the input selector on the soundbar, not a problem. As they say if it is not broke I'm not fixing it right now!
Just to clarify, my issue was occurring when connected to a 4K HDR/DV source. An 18 Gbps cable is not necessary for a SDR source. I had to replace the cables for my UHD player and Monitor out from my receiver to the TV. All other non HDR sources are still good on old HDMI 1.3 cables.
tanman likes this.
post #17425 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify, my issue was occurring when connected to a 4K HDR/DV source. An 18 Gbps cable is not necessary for a SDR source. I had to replace the cables for my UHD player and Monitor out from my receiver to the TV. All other non HDR sources are still good on old HDMI 1.3 cables.

No such thing as an "HDMI 1.3" cable. They are either Standard or High Speed HDMI cables, period. HDMI.org asked cable mfrs years ago to not label their cables with the HDMI hardware specification because it was too confusing to the consumer. High Speed HDMI cables should meet all of the current HDMI hardware specifications. Premium High Speed HDMI cables have been tested and certified to meet ALL of the current HDMI 2.0 hardware specifications.

Cables are just data pipes. They cannot change the pq. They can either pass the data stream without issues or not.

post #17426 of 19301 Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Quote:
The HDMI cables are only about a year old. HDMI cables either fail or pass along a signal. I don’t think it would cause this type of artifact from what I understand. It’s most likely a defective C8.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #17427 of 19301 Old 05-23-2019, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
I haven't had much time to spend on it or tried any command line scripting. The tricky part with that is that any connection needs to "pair" (raise a prompt or PIN on the TV) before it allows any commands.
I don't think it'd be a problem since it has to be done only once (like with the apps).

Quote:
I was looking for a way to retrieve Picture and White Balance setting values (so I don't have to write them down by hand post-calibration) and to find a way to set the WB settings remotely. From what I have seen so far, I am not sure either is possible. Best bet may be in ConnectSDK. I looked at Connect-SDK-Windows but haven't gotten very far. There is also Connect-SDK-Android-Core and Connect-SDK-Java-Core without Android dependencies.

The easiest way to communicate with the TV so far has been to download OpenHab which uses the ConnectSDK JAVA fork, run the server and then access the built in Paper UI on that server using a browser. However, it does seem to have limited functionality.
Well, it doesn't seem to be easy Thanks for the info though.
I have quickly found these 2 small projects on github ( lgtv2 (nodejs), LGWebOSRemote (python)) that use less sophisticated methods to get/set values (using websocket, that's why I looked for a command line equivalent), but I don't remember whether you can set White point values. Take a look, maybe they'll help

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #17428 of 19301 Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
The HDMI cables are only about a year old. HDMI cables either fail or pass along a signal. I don’t think it would cause this type of artifact from what I understand. It’s most likely a defective C8.

If they are not premium certified (and then once in a while you get a bad one of those) they can definitely cause this problem. Any 4k thread is full of exactly this same type of issue. When I bought my Oppo 203 some $6 Monoprice cables solved my problems (dido for Apple 4k player). For $6 what do you have to lose, cup of joe from Starbucks?

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #17429 of 19301 Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
..Well, it doesn't seem to be easy Thanks for the info though.
I have quickly found these 2 small projects on github ( lgtv2 (nodejs), LGWebOSRemote (python)) that use less sophisticated methods to get/set values (using websocket, that's why I looked for a command line equivalent), but I don't remember whether you can set White point values. Take a look, maybe they'll help
Those look interesting and are less complicated then using the SDK, thanks. Still, I don't see any way to get to the Picture white balance settings anywhere. The only good news is I was able to launch the USB Expert software update from OpenHab.
chros73 likes this.

post #17430 of 19301 Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
The only good news is I was able to launch the USB Expert software update from OpenHab.

With the 05.xx.xx beta fw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page