2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 591 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78767Likes

post #17701 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello all, not sure if this is the best place or thread to ask this question but I just purchased a 55 C8 and it’s mostly great but with fast and erratically moving objects like coins falling on a table or panning combined with objects entering from the side I see artefacts that I never noticed on my 37” plasma TV.
Formula 1 race: absolutely fantastic
TV shows (mostly static): I’m ecstatic
Movies with fast action: not so good . I tried The Incredibles 2 and wasn’t overwhelmed because of the artefacts.

Is this behaviour as designed? Or is there a setting somewhere I might try?

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17702 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post

If dead pixel, I think it requires to have a number of dead pixels to claim the warranty.
Case by case, sometimes they will replace a panel sometimes they will not......
post #17703 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Well unless you have been watching letter box movies non stop that screen must not be new. I have never seen a brand new tv show that kind of burn in or image retention. Maybe there is something that’s making your tv not run it’s cycle. Maybe try unplugging it and holding power button for 30 seconds. If it was me I would try resetting the tv then run some full screen content for 4-5 hours then turn off tv for 15 mins then do that again. If the letter box retention is still there I would return it. There’s no 200 hour auto cycle it’s 2000 hours. The small cycles run every 4 hours. If my tv shows image retention from a letter box movie it fully clears after a 4 hour cycle.
I think you might be right - possibly the cycles are not automatically running.

Do i hold the red power button when replugging the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17704 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
My current story is similar to your own. I downsized 3 months ago from a large single family home to a small apartment once my last of 3 sons moved out of state like his brothers. My middle son lives only one state away where he just bought his first home and I gave him many of my favorite things. I tried hanging on to my cherished A/V HT setup but the receiver and speakers were just too overwhelming sound and space wise so he acquired that as well.

It even stipulates in my lease to be kind to neighbors and use headphones. My apartment is new and well soundproofed though. Nonetheless, like me it will no doubt take a lot of re-adjustment for you also to get accustomed to the downsized sound space. I fortunately bought my Oppo 205 with its superior Dacs a year before moving and with excellent headsets I still can enjoy my music. To replace the audio setup for the 77" C8 however I finally settled for a Bose Soundbar 700 system with the 700 model subwoofer and the accompanying surround speakers. I just got last week the Bose floor stands for the surrounds. The whole setup is a perfect fit for the apartment. The soundbar has its own power source so it is not reliant on the C8 for power or amperage. Same with the sub and surrounds, they all have their own amps and are wirelessly synced to the soundbar parent. The sound is superb with crisp dialogue, deep bass and sparkling treble. The bass does not rattle the glass or vibrate the floors though it could if I turned up the volume more. The surrounds are extremely transparent adding the background audio without revealing their physical presence at all. The only con I really have about the Bose system is that it does not have Dolby Atmos compatibility so the surround is limited to 5.1 audio. I also miss however the A/V receiver being the hub for all of my source components. Now unfortunately I have to connect each source component separately to each of the C8's hdmi ports. You will still use the stand for your C8 but will change the audio setting of the C8 for external speakers. The Bose Soundbar has an hdmi input but I am using the optical input from the C8 because I need all four hdmi ports for other components. The optical limits your audio choices but it's no sacrifice since Dolby Atmos is not an option any way. With the upcoming Bose soundbar model Dolby Atmos is expected to be available so I plan to get it then with a couple more surrounds for the 77" and move the Soundbar 700 to the bedroom 65" C8 with which right now I still just use the internal speakers.

That is what I have gone with since downsizing my living and audio space.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I’m glad the Bose soundbar is working well for you. I have an interest in this situation since I’m also moving from a 4 BR home with a dedicated HT to a small condo next month. Although pricey, I’ve decided to go with the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar. It has full Dolby Atmos (and DTS:X), and is supposed to go down to 30 hz (though I doubt this, with 4” drivers), in any case, it has a sub out if the bass is not to my satisfaction. (The cost doesn’t really bother me, since the sale of my other gear will more than cover it), but I mention this as another good option for those who don’t have the space (or inclination) for a full blown HT and still want good sound from their LG display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RBO likes this.
post #17705 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post

Unplug the tv then on the left side on the back of the tv has a kind of button. Press that and hold it for 30 seconds or so.
post #17706 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Well unless you have been watching letter box movies non stop that screen must not be new. I have never seen a brand new tv show that kind of burn in or image retention.

Don't letterbox movies have black bars top and bottom? Doesn't "burn in" leave an image only from light scenes, especially red?

So how can the light colored bands @soundizer77 shows be caused by burn in?
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #17707 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Don't letterbox movies have black bars top and bottom? Doesn't "burn in" leave an image only from light scenes, especially red?

It would be caused by uneven wear since the black bars have the pixels turned off. I still don’t understand how this can happen with a new tv unless its not really new or the comp cycles aren’t running .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #17708 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:

I would just do a full reset of the tv through the menu. See if that fixes any issues

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Soundizer17 likes this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #17709 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 797
A darker area where the movie was displayed can also be the result of the panel still being too hot while the comp cycle was running. Similar as to how some people got dark blotches when the sun was shining on the panel while the comp cycle was running.
Because of that I usually let my C8 cool down for few minutes after watching bright content instead of turning it off immediately.
chunon and mrtickleuk like this.
post #17710 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unplug the tv then on the left side on the back of the tv has a kind of button. Press that and hold it for 30 seconds or so.
I cannot do that as it is flat wallmounted.
post #17711 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know if any other ways to do a hard reset so see if you can fit your and around or you may have to move the tv out.
Soundizer17 likes this.

Last edited by Adamd; 05-30-2019 at 03:24 PM.
post #17712 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

Walking the dog, I think I figured it out. The "burn in" was the whole picture, except the top/bottom bands.
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #17713 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Talking

Quote:
Walking the dog, I think I figured it out. The "burn in" was the whole picture, except the top/bottom bands.
Excellent catch. So now all I have to do is burn in the top and bottom bars and then I will have screen uniformity.
post #17714 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Excellent catch. So now all I have to do is burn in the top and bottom bars and then I will have screen uniformity.
If your tv is new then that won’t be burn in just image retention. My guess your tv is not running the auto cycles. If your tv does actually have burn in and it’s new you win the world record for fastest burn in time.
Soundizer17 likes this.
post #17715 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Find the breaker in the fuse box that the TV is on and shut it off.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #17716 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 12468 Post(s)
Liked: 11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Is that fake marble on the walls, what is that exactly, it looks pretty sweet
it's just premium countertop Laminate by Formica brand, called Calcatta Marble (Italian Marble). Still need to do the finishing touches in there (trim, etc). The oled though REALLY pops against the white background, even with the tv turned off with the glossy black finish. It truly is the perfect cherry on top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Well eat my LG's cardboard box. Good to see you finally got it right Ray
At least you didn't disagree with my Samsung comment either
Welcome.
Thank you. I'll buy the perfect tv for the perfect price no matter the brand. (which of course doesn't exist yet either). But I truly appreciate the better motion on the Oled too. A lot of people bag on oled motion but for me the Samsung motion is way worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
Congratulations Ray. I ran into a deal I couldn't refuse also.

The great price i paid also eases my mind if i ever get burn in, though the Walmart warranty actually does cover burn in so i may go back and grab that, but I'm certainly not going to baby the tv except for leaving it paused for long periods. oled light will likely stay at 100 for most of the time lol So far my only real complaint is that my Bluetooth speaker is slightly delayed.
dreaux likes this.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #17717 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Did anyone else notice this elliptic anomaly on the screen? I guess this could be related to the "News Channel Dimming" because it keeps fluctuating a bit as the content on the screen changes (it's something dynamic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190531_042442.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2573854  

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #17718 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
it's just premium countertop Laminate by Formica brand, called Calcatta Marble (Italian Marble). Still need to do the finishing touches in there (trim, etc). The oled though REALLY pops against the white background, even with the tv turned off with the glossy black finish. It truly is the perfect cherry on top!

Thank you. I'll buy the perfect tv for the perfect price no matter the brand. (which of course doesn't exist yet either). But I truly appreciate the better motion on the Oled too. A lot of people bag on oled motion but for me the Samsung motion is way worse.

The great price i paid also eases my mind if i ever get burn in, though the Walmart warranty actually does cover burn in so i may go back and grab that, but I'm certainly not going to baby the tv except for leaving it paused for long periods. oled light will likely stay at 100 for most of the time lol So far my only real complaint is that my Bluetooth speaker is slightly delayed.

Just got my LG 77" C8 oled delivered today. Got a great price, there are a lot bargains out there now.
It's a different kind picture. Not sure if it's as sharp as the Q9FN but the colors are richer. Takes time to break in I suppose. Love the size.
ray0414 likes this.
post #17719 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 12468 Post(s)
Liked: 11650
Quote:
Just got my LG 77" C8 oled delivered today. Got a great price, there are a lot bargains out there now.
It's a different kind picture. Not sure if it's as sharp as the Q9FN but the colors are richer. Takes time to break in I suppose. Love the size.
I've noticed some softness too with certain things such as YouTube TV which surprises me considering Mines only a 55 and my Sammy is a 75. worth keeping in mind though that the Q9 did score the highest on upscaling at the shootout last year too I believe. it's not a big issue for me tho, just something I noticed.

speaking of which, what exactly does the super resolution setting do?

75Q9FN*55C8oled* Oppo 203/UB820*S10+*DenonX4200
dreaux likes this.

Last edited by ray0414; 05-31-2019 at 01:01 AM.
post #17720 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 3458
Quote:
Yes the samsung might appear sharper, but you should wait and see after 100 to 200hrs when shes broken in...much better pq! Btw congrats on that 77!
RBO, calfcramp and dreaux like this.
post #17721 of 19153 Old 05-30-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeFromHolland View Post
Hello all, not sure if this is the best place or thread to ask this question but I just purchased a 55 C8 and it’s mostly great but with fast and erratically moving objects like coins falling on a table or panning combined with objects entering from the side I see artefacts that I never noticed on my 37” plasma TV.
Formula 1 race: absolutely fantastic
TV shows (mostly static): I’m ecstatic
Movies with fast action: not so good . I tried The Incredibles 2 and wasn’t overwhelmed because of the artefacts.

Is this behaviour as designed? Or is there a setting somewhere I might try?

Thanks a bunch!
Try turning off TruMotion in Picture Mode Settings - Picture Options.
And check rtings website for other recommended settings.
post #17722 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got a 65" C8, and can confirm this ANSD (Automatic News Station Dimming) **** with firmware 4.10.55.
Wow, what a bull**** feature!!!
I came from a C7 where I can confirm that the ANSD were not present.

And why did they have to make the screen get brighter when it wakes up with "stutters/pulses". I have counted up to 20 such "chops/stutters/pulses" before the screen is 100% bright again.

I'm so annoyed... using a computer on this TV is going to make me want to throw a rock through it!!!

One strange thing though... when using Aerial screensaver (the same as on the Apple TV) on a W10 PC, the ANSD dims the panel when the Aerial Scr don't have bright pictures.
Is this because the TV detect the screensaver as a static picture, and not a moving video??

Last edited by BigZ12; 05-31-2019 at 03:44 AM.
post #17723 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
I've noticed some softness too with certain things such as YouTube TV which surprises me considering Mines only a 55 and my Sammy is a 75. worth keeping in mind though that the Q9 did score the highest on upscaling at the shootout last year too I believe. it's not a big issue for me tho, just something I noticed.

I have to give you credit buy an oled put it in the kitchen so you can talk about your qled in an oled owners thread clever lol

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17724 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ12 View Post
I just got a 65" C8, and can confirm this ANSD (Automatic News Station Dimming) **** with firmware 4.10.55.

And why did they have to make the screen get brighter when it wakes up with "stutters/pulses". I have counted up to 20 such "chops/stutters/pulses" before the screen is 100% bright again.

I'm so annoyed... using a computer on this TV is going to make me want to throw a rock through it!!!

One strange thing though... when using Aerial screensaver (the same as on the Apple TV) on a W10 PC, the ANSD dims the panel when the Aerial Scr don't have bright pictures.
Is this because the TV detect the screensaver as a static picture, and not a moving video??
No offense, but why do you need to use a computer on an oled TV? Why not just get a large monitor? Using a computer on an OLED panel is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Specifically image retention and possible burn in. I have a 27 inch IMac Pro and the screen is large enough. I use my 77 C8 Oled for watching TV as it is designed for. Again just my opinion
mrtickleuk and 3isRC like this.
post #17725 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:

Generally not advisable to make your first post in a thread a rant

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17726 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
Did anyone else notice this elliptic anomaly on the screen? I guess this could be related to the "News Channel Dimming" because it keeps fluctuating a bit as the content on the screen changes (it's something dynamic).

Game picture preset I assume? And when you switch to ISF or technicolor that centered oval shape is gone?

edit: This was somewhat discussed before, without any real conclusion though. I made a picture of it here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58001060
chros73 likes this.

Last edited by jk82; 05-31-2019 at 04:18 AM.
post #17727 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Generally not advisable to make your first post in a thread a rant
I'm sorry about that, but isn't it kinda understandable? Buying an expensive tv-set, and get these features that ruins the experience?
But again, sorry and I will take note of what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
No offense, but why do you need to use a computer on an oled TV? Why not just get a large monitor? Using a computer on an OLED panel is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Specifically image retention and possible burn in. I have a 27 inch IMac Pro and the screen is large enough. I use my 77 C8 Oled for watching TV as it is designed for. Again just my opinion
I use it in my living room with a HTPC. Use it for everything from my sweet spot 3m from the screen... Surfing, working, streaming, watch videoes etc etc.

As it is designed for? There's a PC mode with Chroma 4:4:4 and 1080p 120hz features!! I will say it's very designed for PC use...

Very careful regarding burn-ins (no bookmark bar with yellow folders (Google Chrome), screensaver after 1 min etc etc.) No problems after 1,5 years with a C7.
calfcramp likes this.

Last edited by BigZ12; 05-31-2019 at 04:22 AM.
post #17728 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry about that, but isn't it kinda understandable? Buying an expensive tv-set, and get these features that ruins the experience?

But again, sorry and I will take note of what you said.

I use it in my living room with a HTPC. Use it for everything from my sweet spot 3m from the screen... Surfing, working, streaming, watch videoes etc etc.

As it is designed for? There's a PC mode with Chroma 4:4:4 and 1080p 120hz features!! I will say it's very designed for PC use...

Very careful regarding burn-ins (no bookmark bar with yellow folders (Google Chrome), screensaver after 1 min etc etc.) No problems after 1,5 years with a C7.

You are just asking for trouble with that use case in my opinion , but it’s your hard earned money . As far as the dimming that existed long before .55 was introduced , I personally have never seen it .

ganzhimself and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #17729 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2144
There are OLED laptops out there in use. Wonder how they handle burn in. I’ve used my previous E6 for living room PC gaming and had no issues.

What I don’t get is the people that will put a 55 inch OLED on their desk and sit like three feet away from it. Lol. That is nutty.
calfcramp likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #17730 of 19153 Old 05-31-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:

I can't find a setting for 'super resolution'. Maybe someone can address that. Is that an under the hood setting?
axle7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page