2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 592 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78889Likes

post #17731 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Yes the samsung might appear sharper, but you should wait and see after 100 to 200hrs when shes broken in...much better pq! Btw congrats on that 77!

Thank you. Yeah I did notice a PQ improvement on my 55" C7 after I have been watching for a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17732 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
I can't find a setting for 'super resolution'. Maybe someone can address that. Is that an under the hood setting?

It’s in a sub menu under the picture mode settings , sorry not in front of my set at the moment .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp and dreaux like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #17733 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
No offense, but why do you need to use a computer on an oled TV? Why not just get a large monitor? Using a computer on an OLED panel is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Specifically image retention and possible burn in. I have a 27 inch IMac Pro and the screen is large enough. I use my 77 C8 Oled for watching TV as it is designed for. Again just my opinion

There's no issue using a PC on an OLED, specifically for games and TV shows/movies. Quite a few people use them for that, including me. The majority of video content I watch is through the PC, and all multiplat "AAA" games that I end up with are on PC also. As a replacement for a typical desktop scenario though? I know some people do that, but those are fringe scenarios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
Here are some more photos.

Some have said this is burn in, but this is brand new and was like this out of the box.
Others have said to wait for the 200hours auto cycle to run.
AFAIK, the cycle is after 2000 hours, and when people are saying 100 - 200 hours, they are just talking about your set aging as well as having let it run its multiple 10 minute cycles that happen every four hours of content. You can force the 2000 hour one by just running it manually though.
BigZ12 likes this.

Last edited by Plasmoidial; 05-31-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17734 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I am still following this thread since about 200 - 250 pages ago when I first got my 77c8. Thanks again to the experts and experienced users who post here. I really appreciate the info. I have very much been enjoying (and appreciating) the firmware discussions and info. And, I am actually not burnt out on the FW posts as I am still on .15 waiting for things to shake out. My panel does indeed exhibit chrominance overshoot (flashing, black macroblocking, Gail Gadot) on some near-black content but everything else about the panel is amazingly great. I appreciate that LG continues to work on a new FW that will improve this.

It is interesting to me that the overall PQ improves so much during/after the first 200 hours of use. I definitely observed this with my panel and I wonder why this happens.

I do have a couple of questions:

What is the difference between the comp cycle (auto run every 4 hours when TV turned off) and the pixel refresher cycle (auto run every 2000 hours or manual)? I am wondering what the control electronics is doing and what is chemically being performed on the individual pixels.

RBP
calfcramp likes this.
post #17735 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ12 View Post
I just got a 65" C8, and can confirm this ANSD (Automatic News Station Dimming) **** with firmware 4.10.55.
Wow, what a bull**** feature!!!
I came from a C7 where I can confirm that the ANSD were not present.

And why did they have to make the screen get brighter when it wakes up with "stutters/pulses". I have counted up to 20 such "chops/stutters/pulses" before the screen is 100% bright again.

I'm so annoyed... using a computer on this TV is going to make me want to throw a rock through it!!!

One strange thing though... when using Aerial screensaver (the same as on the Apple TV) on a W10 PC, the ANSD dims the panel when the Aerial Scr don't have bright pictures.
Is this because the TV detect the screensaver as a static picture, and not a moving video??
I've used the C8 for about a year now as a PC monitor, and even with TPC disabled in the service menu I experienced the same behavior.
But strangely enough this happens only in SDR mode. If you enable HDR in Windows and disable dynamic tone mapping, the gradually dimming and brightening again in those steps is over. Using HDR on the desktop in Windows looks great in my opinion, it's not washed out or too dim (there's a slider too make SDR content brighter).
Yes, the OLED light is at 100 constantly, but it's all about the perceived brightness. I've measured the power usage and it's about the same in comparison with SDR and equal brightness.
To this date I have not had any image retention let alone burn in. The set has over 1800 hours on it.
calfcramp and chros73 like this.
post #17736 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a 65 C8 that has the noticeable dimming also that I had posted about a few weeks ago. This happens with live baseball games for example that has little movement or changing scenes. Haven't noticed it with movies. I believe it was designed to work with static images only to prevent burn in but it reality it doesn't function as designed. It was so bad watching a web live stream of a college baseball game with a stationary camera that I had to bring up the TV's menu about every 5 minutes to make the picture brighten up temporarily till the cycle starts again. I'm on the .55 firmware now ( from the .31), I didn't notice it as much when I was on .15 or earlier. I'm hoping a new update will help it be less noticeable but now that so I'm aware of it.... This is a VERY annoying 'feature' that needs to be eliminated or I won't be buying another. Please contact LG as I've done, maybe if enough complaints are made something will be done about it.
post #17737 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by paman View Post
I have a 65 C8 that has the noticeable dimming also that I had posted about a few weeks ago. This happens with live baseball games for example that has little movement or changing scenes. Haven't noticed it with movies. I believe it was designed to work with static images only to prevent burn in but it reality it doesn't function as designed. It was so bad watching a web live stream of a college baseball game with a stationary camera that I had to bring up the TV's menu about every 5 minutes to make the picture brighten up temporarily till the cycle starts again. I'm on the .55 firmware now ( from the .31), I didn't notice it as much when I was on .15 or earlier. I'm hoping a new update will help it be less noticeable but now that so I'm aware of it.... This is a VERY annoying 'feature' that needs to be eliminated or I won't be buying another. Please contact LG as I've done, maybe if enough complaints are made something will be done about it.

That is one of the more frustrating issues for some 65 C8 owners. I've had mine since October and never had the dimming issue on baseball/basketball or any other live sports as well as movies from any source. I'm still on the .15 firmware.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #17738 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by paman View Post
I have never had this issue either.. I have never noticed any major dimming

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
smitty and chunon like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #17739 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 138
My LGOLEDE8 seems to be improving and the movie bars are fading. A new photo here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CDF12E3-0003-44D3-9017-CABD64364033.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2574220  
calfcramp, dreaux and mrtickleuk like this.
post #17740 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That is one of the more frustrating issues for some 65 C8 owners. I've had mine since October and never had the dimming issue on baseball/basketball or any other live sports as well as movies from any source. I'm still on the .15 firmware.

I am not sure how long the image needs to remain static for the dimming to kick in. I have only noticed it a couple of times when I am on my computer and I forget and walk out of the room for a while with the computer image still displayed. When I returned I noticed that it has dimmed. I am always very thankful for that feature as I should remember not to leave it on a static image but forget sometimes.

Last edited by pwiss; 05-31-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #17741 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
^Yeah that's the only dimming I have ever noticed on any of my OLEDS ever. Never during any actual content.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #17742 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Game picture preset I assume? And when you switch to ISF or technicolor that centered oval shape is gone?

edit: This was somewhat discussed before, without any real conclusion though. I made a picture of it here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58001060
At first I spotted it in normal SDR Game mode and found that it goes away in Cinema-like picture modes. But I usually use SDR in PC mode (I am lazy to switch back to the HDMI label for SDR movies) and it's present in the ISF modes there. So this seems to be tied to the low latency modes in general rather than the Game preset specifically.
I never noticed this on the C7. Actually, all-in-all, I think I had less issues with the C7 than the C8. The under-saturation / color luminanc errors were apparent in the SDR range in HDR modes. But otherwise there was no random heavy dimming and elliptic artifact in Game and PC modes. And even though AutoCAL is a plus, if I am realistic, the factory calibration was decent on both .... before the macro-block update (which introduced the gamma drift on the C8) and I barely get to use the BFI (since the HDR curve can't be adjusted for the reduced brightness and it causes 2:3 judder with 24fps movies, so it's pretty much limited to SDR games where native 120fps is not more favorable than the 4k resolution).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #17743 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yeah it is frustrating. I know it is very apparent on my TV when watching NBC sports Phila. during baseball telecasts. I'm hoping the new firmware improves this maybe somehow the dark gamma with the last updates is tripping this. I was seriously going to look into a 77" in the near future but I'm a little concerned about it as it's enough of an issue for me to rule out a another OLED that does this. Waiting for the new firmware to come out to see if it helps. Hopefully soon.
iamgarffi likes this.
post #17744 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Has anyone in USA gotten newest firmware update that some have used in beta ? Just curious how far away this update is .
post #17745 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Just an observation. Been watching my new 77" C8 today. First time I have the time to sit and view.
Watching Netflix's "Godless" with DV and "Blacklist", both 4K and the PQ is beautiful. Rich and silky.

Have it on 'Standard' and I might be changing that but wow it looks so good now.

Coming from Samsung 82" Q8FN and was worried the C8 wouldn't have the punch the Q8 does. No reason to have worried, it's bright enough.
Got a little SOE I have to get rid off so will be playing more with the motion settings.
No buyers regret.
calfcramp likes this.

Last edited by dreaux; 05-31-2019 at 02:32 PM.
post #17746 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 02:26 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience and I’m glad the Bose soundbar is working well for you. I have an interest in this situation since I’m also moving from a 4 BR home with a dedicated HT to a small condo next month. Although pricey, I’ve decided to go with the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar. It has full Dolby Atmos (and DTS:X), and is supposed to go down to 30 hz (though I doubt this, with 4” drivers), in any case, it has a sub out if the bass is not to my satisfaction. (The cost doesn’t really bother me, since the sale of my other gear will more than cover it), but I mention this as another good option for those who don’t have the space (or inclination) for a full blown HT and still want good sound from their LG display.

Sweet! I think the Senheiser would still be too much for my small apartment. I do not think I'll ever turn up the volume enough on even my Bose setup to appreciate it's true worth. I had it the loudest yet the other day watching an Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull in Montreal blu-ray. It was terrific. And again last night watching the Warriors unfortunately go down to the Raptors 0-1. I'm expecting to hear some complaints if I keep it up.

But I look forward to hearing of your results with the Senheiser. Do you know the approximate availability? It's only available for pre-order right now, correct?

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #17747 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Just an observation. Been watching my new 77" C8 today. First time I have the time to sit and view.
Watching Netflix's "Godless" with DV and "Blacklist", both 4K and the PQ is beautiful. Rich and silky.

Have it on 'Standard' and I might be changing that but wow it looks so good now.

Coming from Samsung Q8FN and was worried the C8 wouldn't have the punch the Q8 does. No reason to have worried, it's bright enough.
Got a little SOE I have to get rid off so will be playing more with the motion settings.
No buyers regret.
You should really used Technicolor, isf bright and / or isf dark mode. They are the most accurate. Standard isn't that great

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
smitty, calfcramp, dreaux and 1 others like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #17748 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Has anyone in USA gotten newest firmware update that some have used in beta ? Just curious how far away this update is .
Nope, very impatiently waiting and checking their site multiple times a day though. You'd think they'd have it ready by now but what do I know
post #17749 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 03:14 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
The times I see any dimming at all is also only when I am in PC mode using my iMac mini and the image remains static while I am reading something for more than 6 min or more. The dimming stops when I move the cursor around on my 77" C8. I am on FW .55 and using ISF Expert (Dark Room) PM with the suggested settings for IRE and Luninace from @chronitis and @jk82 . OLEd light at 28, etc. It's a bit jarring or annoying but not intolerable. I expect it will go away with the next FW update.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #17750 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactlol View Post
Nope, very impatiently waiting and checking their site multiple times a day though. You'd think they'd have it ready by now but what do I know
I had thought I was "patiently waiting" but now, like you, I am "IMpatiently waiting!" One would think it would have gone through their "quality control process" by now, especially since some users, who accessed the Service Menu and downloaded it, have had no problems with it. The longer I wait the more leery I become.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #17751 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Sweet! I think the Senheiser would still be too much for my small apartment. I do not think I'll ever turn up the volume enough on even my Bose setup to appreciate it's true worth. I had it the loudest yet the other day watching an Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull in Montreal blu-ray. It was terrific. And again last night watching the Warriors unfortunately go down to the Raptors 0-1. I'm expecting to hear some complaints if I keep it up.

But I look forward to hearing of your results with the Senheiser. Do you know the approximate availability? It's only available for pre-order right now, correct?

The most important thing is, the Bose is working well for you. Satisfaction is a precious commodity! Enjoy!
The Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar is available for pre order (i already put mine in), and is due to ship on June 12. It may well be overkill for many applications (and the $2500 price tag will make it out of reach for some), but if the buzz on this is correct, it could be a game changer. Coming from a full-blown, 4 ceiling full-range, 7.4 dual 18” subwoofer system, I’m hoping to get at least a reasonable facsimile of the former glory my system allowed me to experience. I’m hoping it will be a worthy match for my 77” OLED and I will mention it here briefly, but I do want to be considerate of the other OLED owners who may not have an interest in this, and there is a dedicated thread for this product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RBO and calfcramp like this.
post #17752 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I had thought I was "patiently waiting" but now, like you, I am "IMpatiently waiting!" One would think it would have gone through their "quality control process" by now, especially since some users, who accessed the Service Menu and downloaded it, have had no problems with it. The longer I wait the more leery I become.
You should be pleased when it does arrive. I used my Harmony Hub to change to Engineering mode to get 05.20.00 and I think it will make everyone happy. I was one of those that didn't see much if any black crush with .31 or .55. I am pleased that with the latest beta firmware as my set doesn't look "lighter" in low IRE's for the lack of a better term. Everything tests out just the same for me. But the only way to truly test poor gamma is with the proper calibration tools.
Bigmoviefan and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by pwiss; 05-31-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #17753 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinz80 View Post
I've used the C8 for about a year now as a PC monitor, and even with TPC disabled in the service menu I experienced the same behavior.
But strangely enough this happens only in SDR mode. If you enable HDR in Windows and disable dynamic tone mapping, the gradually dimming and brightening again in those steps is over. Using HDR on the desktop in Windows looks great in my opinion, it's not washed out or too dim (there's a slider too make SDR content brighter).
Yes, the OLED light is at 100 constantly, but it's all about the perceived brightness. I've measured the power usage and it's about the same in comparison with SDR and equal brightness.
To this date I have not had any image retention let alone burn in. The set has over 1800 hours on it.
That's a very good tip! Thanks! Could you list your settings?
post #17754 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundizer17 View Post
My LGOLEDE8 seems to be improving and the movie bars are fading. A new photo here.
Thanks good news what did you do?
post #17755 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I will be providing settings for the 2018 LGs. They will be in LUT format (46pt 1DLUT and 17^3 3DLUT) and will require programs like Device Control to load them in your TV. Expect a 120nit and 200nit setup. I hope to have them ready by Monday.
I was wondering if you have been waiting for the firmware to get figured out before posting these? I would have imagined you would have been subject to countless posts regarding a specific firmware’s affect on black crush and the calibration results.
post #17756 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactlol View Post
I thought by the end of this week May 31st new firmware would be ready to download. I was overly optimistic!
post #17757 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I wonder what the holdup is djoberg?
post #17758 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 3472
Quote:
Thank you. Yeah I did notice a PQ improvement on my 55" C7 after I have been watching for a few weeks.
You will indeed be happy with the C8, I also own a 75Q8fn, and my C8 is still my main viewing TV for many reasons I wont name on here.
calfcramp and dreaux like this.
post #17759 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Quote:
You will indeed be happy with the C8, I also own a 75Q8fn, and my C8 is still my main viewing TV for many reasons I wont name on here.
Oh please do, others have no problem doing the same explaining why they prefer their LCD over their OLED, in an OLED owners thread.

Display - LG OLED55C8
Speakers - Dali Zensor 3 (Front), Zensor Vokal, Zensor 1 (Surrounds), Alteco C-1 (Atmos) w/SVS PC-2000
Receiver & Misc - Denon AVR-X2200W, Philips Hue, Harmony Elite, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Nvidia Shield, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinema, i1 Display Pro
post #17760 of 19313 Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 3472
^owners thread...forum etiquette, plus there are plenty of those vs threads...I was merely responding since that member owned the same set I do.
calfcramp, dreaux and smurraybhm like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 05-31-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page