2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 600 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79816Likes

post #17971 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6521 Post(s)
Liked: 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I've also looked into getting rid of the 'NG(0)' value which is shown after hitting reset but the problem is my TV (C8LLA) doesn't even have a RS232 service port on the back, there is just a headphone/audio out which looks similar but I doubt that will work as a RS232 port.
RS232 port is rare in the USA now. I do not know of any sets with this port any more but I have not been checking lately either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17972 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
5.20.00 is a beta firmware. Beta firmware is for testing at a bigger scale. People that are registered beta testers get these releases so they can hopefully prove that they are ready for prime time or prove that they should not be released. This release may never become an official release if they find that it has problems. We may get a subsequent release. I am sure LG is very prudent with this release. The fact that it takes time could simply mean that some problems were found by the beta testers and they are working on it. I'd rather wait for LG to come up with the best firmware possible. I am a software developer and have been for 35 years, thats how it works. We are approaching beta testing for my project. I am sure LG works the same way. Hey, just imagine how this thread would be like without firmware talk!
Perhaps LG, after making enough disasters with .30 (if I remember the numbering well) and .55, introducing more problems than they wanted to fix, decided to be more cautious and respect the principles you indicated above.

Of course an official declaration from LG would be a desirable choice to calm us down and make us have a positive view of the necessary wait.
Bigmoviefan likes this.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
post #17973 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tipa View Post
Yea, our displays really look awful with the current firmware... Here's a thought....put some high quality content on your display, sit back and stop obsessing over updates.
If you have bothered to read the (lengthy) discussion we had several weeks ago regarding the current firmware, you would have seen that quite a few members, including ME, said that our display looks awesome with "high quality content," but that there are still times when there is "black crush." Granted, the tweaking of the White Balance gamma settings help, but NOT in all circumstances. I still see black crush at times, even in "some" high quality UHD/1080p Blu-rays or while streaming, but mostly in satellite broadcasts.

It is NOT unreasonable for us to want, and in measure to demand, a FIX. We all paid hard-earned money (at least mine was "hard-earned money") for our display and we should be able to expect excellent PQ in ALL "high quality content." When I bought my C877 it was already on the .31 FW which had black crush, but everyone that had the .15 FW boasted that this problem was non-existent with that update. All we are asking LG for is to give us similar PQ with a new update.
Bigmoviefan likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17974 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post
5.20.00 is a beta firmware. Beta firmware is for testing at a bigger scale. People that are registered beta testers get these releases so they can hopefully prove that they are ready for prime time or prove that they should not be released. This release may never become an official release if they find that it has problems. We may get a subsequent release. I am sure LG is very prudent with this release. The fact that it takes time could simply mean that some problems were found by the beta testers and they are working on it. I'd rather wait for LG to come up with the best firmware possible. I am a software developer and have been for 35 years, thats how it works. We are approaching beta testing for my project. I am sure LG works the same way. Hey, just imagine how this thread would be like without firmware talk!
This was a helpful post and I thank you for your knowledge in this area. But it begs the question, "Why doesn't LG inform owners of this and ask us to be patient while they on working on a safe fix?" They could do so on this thread, or at the very least, on their website. We really shouldn't be left "in the dark." Do you agree?

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #17975 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr9999 View Post
Perhaps LG, after making enough disasters with .30 (if I remember the numbering well) and .55, introducing more problems than they wanted to fix, decided to be more cautious and respect the principles you indicated above.

Of course an official declaration from LG would be a desirable choice to calm us down and make us have a positive view of the necessary wait.
I was literally composing my last post to the same member while you were posting yours! It just goes to show (once again) that "great minds think alike."

I was even going to address the two FW Updates (.31 and .55) which gave us the problem with "black crush" by saying, "Why did the LG software techs release these to the general public when there was an obvious problem with black crush?"

post #17976 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
This was a helpful post and I thank you for your knowledge in this area. But it begs the question, "Why doesn't LG inform owners of this and ask us to be patient while they on working on a safe fix?" They could do so on this thread, or at the very least, on their website. We really shouldn't be left "in the dark." Do you agree?
I am sure LG is aware of this thread and multiple others. But I think they cannot answer to all of them, other than just say "patience grasshopper"!
post #17977 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
But it begs the question, "Why doesn't LG inform owners of this and ask us to be patient while they on working on a safe fix?" They could do so on this thread, or at the very least, on their website. We really shouldn't be left "in the dark." Do you agree?
It's probably because we -- those who are bothered by some issues with the current firmware and/or those who are anxiously awaiting a fix -- comprise a very, very small percentage of those who own LG OLED's. I would guess, and it's just a wild guess, it might be on the order of 2 percent or something. We might be more noisy than a lot of folks, but from a numbers standpoint, the number of people complaining to LG about an new firmware update to fix black crush or whatever is probably pretty small potatoes.
post #17978 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
It's probably because we -- those who are bothered by some issues with the current firmware and/or those who are anxiously awaiting a fix -- comprise a very, very small percentage of those who own LG OLED's. I would guess, and it's just a wild guess, it might be on the order of 2 percent or something. We might be more noisy than a lot of folks, but from a numbers standpoint, the number of people complaining to LG about an new firmware update to fix black crush or whatever is probably pretty small potatoes.
You are probably right, even though I have a hard time believing the "average Joe" goes out and buys an OLED when he can buy a 4K LCD/LED for a fraction of the price and not know the difference when it comes to PQ. It "used to be" (and "may still be") that those who were willing to spend a lot of money on a high-end display would be bothered by anomalies (like "black crush") in the PQ. Of course, you'll always have people (who really don't care all that much about PQ) with so much money they don't know what to do with it that will go out and buy "the latest and the greatest" technology, but they may actually be a "small minority." They will NOT, as a whole, frequent the AVS Forum and complain about issues in PQ.
calfcramp likes this.

post #17979 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3805 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
You are probably right, even though I have a hard time believing the "average Joe" goes out and buys an OLED when he can buy a 4K LCD/LED for a fraction of the price and not know the difference when it comes to PQ. It "used to be" (and "may still be") that those who were willing to spend a lot of money on a high-end display would be bothered by anomalies (like "black crush") in the PQ. Of course, you'll always have people (who really don't care all that much about PQ) with so much money they don't know what to do with it that will go out and buy "the latest and the greatest" technology, but they may actually be a "small minority." They will NOT, as a whole, frequent the AVS Forum and complain about issues in PQ.

I think you would be surprised how common that is outside the avs community , I have friends that are literally clueless about technology . They may buy an oled because they heard it’s the best , but I would venture to guess 99% of the general public doesn’t even no what terms like gamma and black crush mean .

We kind of live in a bubble here, don’t get me wrong I like it but we are in the minority imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smitty, Glenee, calfcramp and 4 others like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #17980 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I m playing around with my c8 and noticing I have great OTA signals in the Live TV input. Is there any way to get a C8 in the US to record to USB?
post #17981 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just used Harmony Hub to program my Harmony Elite to get into the Service Menu and update the Firmware to the 5.20.00 file that people have spoke on here.

First thing I notice is that the crushed blacks issue has been fixed for sure. I’ve only had the TV for 3 months and I’d have to say this is the best I’ve seen the picture look since the first few weeks I had it.
calfcramp and chunon like this.
post #17982 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post
Just used Harmony Hub to program my Harmony Elite to get into the Service Menu and update the Firmware to the 5.20.00 file that people have spoke on here.

First thing I notice is that the crushed blacks issue has been fixed for sure. I’ve only had the TV for 3 months and I’d have to say this is the best I’ve seen the picture look since the first few weeks I had it.
Where do you go and what do you do after you enter the Service Menu?

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00 (Engineering Mode)
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #17983 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post

Scroll down where you see Update server for firmware and application. Change the first one from Production to Testing. It will reboot the tv and 5.20 update should trigger.

SL600 likes this.
post #17984 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post

Yes, loving 5.20.x :-)

post #17985 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
Scroll down where you see Update server for firmware and application. Change the first one from Production to Testing. It will reboot the tv and 5.20 update should trigger.

Thank you. Do you mean item "11. SDP Server Selection"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WB-Adjust-OK.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2577164  

LG OLED65C8PUA, F/W: 05.20.00 (Engineering Mode)
Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #17986 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 849 Post(s)
Liked: 853
System 2 - Nsu Mode - change from 'User Mode' to 'Engineering'.
Exit and then search for updates manually. Sometimes it takes multiple tries until it finds the new FW.

Also be aware that it is no longer possible to downgrade with FW 05.XX.XX.
calfcramp, GSimmons1987 and SL600 like this.

Last edited by jk82; 06-07-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #17987 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
As a user: Hell yeah! I'm with you 100%!

As a developer: if it ever came to this in my industry I would quit my job in a jiffy! Ok, that's not fair since I am getting ready to retire anyway, but you get my point. Developers have enough of a boss or two looking over their shoulder asking when it will be ready while they are trying to tackle complex problems which sometimes can't easily be evaluated when it will be solved. If you throw users to the party, ouch! Honestly, a company will never divulge that kind of information. They would simply get in too much trouble. I don't have enough fingers, toes, etc. to count the number of times when I was pulled off the most important rushed job (as I was told) to be put on the days new priority! These developers may also be already juggling multiple projects.

Conclusion: Yes it would be great if companies were more transparent. But they are not because it got them into too much trouble. We will have to be patient.
mrtickleuk and 3isRC like this.
post #17988 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 79
One thing I would add is, although there is probably a good reason for it, I believe firmware should be downgradable whenever possible. You should be able to try before you buy! Since it was possible to go from .50 back to .15 using special means and it worked flawlessly, I would certainly like to know why it is blocked.

It seems to be the norm in the industry, but I fail to see the point as a user and as a developer.
jk82 likes this.
post #17989 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post

See, it's posts like these that especially make me impatient!!

Congrats on getting the firmware that all of us are waiting for, and for encouraging us with a "good report."
GSimmons1987 likes this.

post #17990 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked: 6837
Quote:
I'd prefer the LG's firmware developers in South Korea to do their job, and not read an American enthusiast's website. The idea that anyone from LG reads this thread - let alone would actually post here - I find hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I am sure LG is aware of this thread and multiple others. But I think they cannot answer to all of them, other than just say "patience grasshopper"!
What on Earth gives you that fantastic (the dictionary definition) idea? But I agree, if they were to say anything, it would be along the lines of "we're doing our best and you'll have to wait". Progress is not expedited by frequent requests for progress reports.

I've never seen LG announce ETAs on firmware updates so much as we might like some communication from them, we'll just have to accept that we won't get it. Any and all communication from the customer-facing people in LG is going to be difficult and largely a waste of time.

This is why we were lucky (and IMHO privileged) to get a message back via Vincent Teoh to give us the heads up that it would take a while at the start of the year. And I'm pleased that we did get that message. What we will get, I am sure, is a firmware update at some point based on that beta or a later beta.

EDIT: I've caught up now with the intervening posts. Great points by @jboileau . We don't know why the downgrade option was blocked, but it was, so it is very inadvisable to install this firmware; the only reason to do so would be as a fit of pique. Really shocking to see people being taught how to install it without this being mentioned
tanman, lorenzo1000 and calfcramp like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 06-07-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #17991 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I'd prefer the LG's firmware developers in South Korea to do their job, and not read an American enthusiast's website. The idea that anyone from LG reads this thread - let alone would actually post here - I find hilarious!
I don't find it hilarious (but I'm glad you got a rise out of it), for I've seen other major tv companies/manufacturers like Sony and Samsung responding to consumers with grievances on Amazon and other sites. Granted, it may not be about FW Updates, but they are still hiring people to do PR work with those that are willing to purchase their displays.

Last edited by djoberg; 06-07-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #17992 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked: 6837
Quote:
I don't find it hilarious (but I'm glad you got a rise out of it), for I've seen other major tv /companies/manufacturers like Sony and Samsung responding to consumers with grievances on Amazon and other sites. Granted, it may not be about FW Updates, but they are still hiring people to do PR work with those that are willing to purchase their displays.
Some companies are great, I will agree. Particularly if they hire very knowledgeable people to run their twitter accounts for example. I've seen minor miracles via the twitter route as if can be a "wormhole" directly into the heart of a company bypassing tons of customer service departments. But once it scales up it stops being so great, I think we'll just have to wait. We're another week closer to it
parkman likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #17993 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
Yes, loving 5.20.x :-)

What is your brightness and 5% IRE?
post #17994 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tipa View Post
Yea, our displays really look awful with the current firmware... Here's a thought....put some high quality content on your display, sit back and stop obsessing over updates.
The handwaving for a company botching low end gamma (on a tech that boasts the best shadow detail, no less) and then not fixing it for 3 months on $2000+ TVs ITT is just flabbergasting. It's cool that your TV is perfect but not all of us are so lucky.
djoberg and Dagatassy like this.
post #17995 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just to "balance the scales" (since I've been quite "negative" in today's posts), I just finished watching the UHD version of Black Hawk Down and it was "Reference Quality" all the way through! The DETAILS were INSANE, especially in facial close-ups...perhaps the BEST I've ever seen. BLACK LEVELS and SHADOW DETAILS were exemplary, with zero black crush!!

If you are a fan of this movie you simply have to buy a copy and treat your eyes to some pure EYE CANDY!!
Tex_Thai, mrtickleuk and Jbhur212 like this.

post #17996 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had black crush, got my set calibrated and it's perfect. If you don't want black crush get it calibrated, adjust the IRE yourself or buy a different TV. I bought an E8 for my bedroom and used the IRE settings from my calibrated living room TV on my bed room TV and now my black crush is gone. Zero complaints.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #17997 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unhappy Sudden Screen Problem C8

I was watching TV tonight and noticed that there was a funny brightness to the lower left portion of the screen. It is visible in light colored scenes across content sources. Is this my panel going bad? Is there something I can do about it or do I need to contact LG for a warranty issue?

Software version: 04.10.15
Hours On: 2016
Purchased 11/2018

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1838.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2577316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1839_resize.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2577318  

Mark

Last edited by mhe4; 06-07-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #17998 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Could there have been direct sunlight shining on the screen? Just a thought.

QB
post #17999 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhe4 View Post
I was watching TV tonight and noticed that there was a funny brightness to the lower left portion of the screen. It is visible in light colored scenes across content sources. Is this my panel going bad? Is there something I can do about it or do I need to contact LG for a warranty issue?

Software version: 04.10.15
Hours On: 2016
Purchased 11/2018

Thanks for any advice.
Call LG. It looks that your pannel is gone.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
post #18000 of 20542 Old 06-07-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 2395
No bueno. Mine was purchased in October 2018 and I'm still on the .15 version. I don't have as many hours as you but pq is pristine on mine.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page