2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 607 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78776Likes

post #18181 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
What firmware are you on? You may want to hold off because there is going to be a future update that will change gamma and your calibration will need to be changed.

I'm afraid that's not possible, having this service performed involved making appointments, the calibrator driving an hour to get here, etc...

I am on firmware 04.10.55, and I do not allow my software to automatically update. So when an update comes out, I will evaluate whether or not I should install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18182 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
I'm afraid that's not possible, having this service performed involved making appointments, the calibrator driving an hour to get here, etc...

I am on firmware 04.10.55, and I do not allow my software to automatically update. So when an update comes out, I will evaluate whether or not I should install it.
Well some people won’t agree but you could get into the service menu and download the beta software that has the gamma fix on it. I’ve been on the beta firmware for weeks and have had no issues. If that’s what you want to try there’s lots of info on this form about it and the potential risks that come with beta firmwares.
calfcramp likes this.
post #18183 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Well some people won’t agree but you could get into the service menu and download the beta software that has the gamma fix on it. I’ve been on the beta firmware for weeks and have had no issues. If that’s what you want to try there’s lots of info on this form about it and the potential risks that come with beta firmwares.
Please, let's stop telling people about going into the service menu. One WRONG change can completely screw up their tv.

If you want to tell them about the service menu, then DM them and at least warn them that changing the wrong setting or messing around in there can lead to big issues including bricking the tv.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
tanman, Glenee, calfcramp and 3 others like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18184 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Please, let's stop telling people about going into the service menu. One WRONG change can completely screw up their tv.

If you want to tell them about the service menu, then DM them and at least warn them that changing the wrong setting or messing around in there can lead to big issues including bricking the tv.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
I said the info was on the forum and also potential risks...
post #18185 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 AM

I'm OK, thanks, I'll let this ISF certified professional do his thing...
post #18186 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 7
New update with my faulty E8. It has now been 3 months trying to get some kind of solution with LG. The issue started with an extremely darknpicture, which they attempted tonrepair twice. No fixes and new issues developed. Thursday night though, I went from having a dark picture to now having no picture at all, only audio. Switching sources does nothing, using the apps is a no go, I csnt even get the tv to display the picture settings menu anymore, just a black screen. Yet LG continues to go "there is nothing wrong with it" and refuses to replace it. I spent $3000 on this and it is a Whole 5 months old and this is the service they give with their warranty. Now I basically have to wait until Dec with no tv so I can make a claim with Visa insurance to get them to replace it.
post #18187 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1912
Quote:
Perhaps you can ask him about going into the Service Menu and downloading the beta firmware BEFORE he calibrates it. I'm sure he will have a strong opinion as to whether or not it's a good idea to download it or not. If he feels it's a safe bet to do so (since it's been out for quite a while and no one has had any issues with it), you can rest assured he'll know EXACTLY what to do and will probably be more than willing to do it for you (unless they are forbidden to do it under ISF rules).
calfcramp likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #18188 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
What firmware are you on? You may want to hold off because there is going to be a future update that will change gamma and your calibration will need to be changed.

As for me (I am not the original poster being replied to), I have a Chad B calibrated unit, and I have stayed on the .15 firmware.

I am planning to install the new firmware when it comes out, after the "pioneers" have reported on it here, in order to get the improvements in it, hopefully without screwing up my calibration too much.

But, I am resigned to the fact that I will probably need to setup a session with Chad B to get the calibration touched up as a result of the next firmware update, since it will probably not be 100% faithful to the .15 gamma. And that's OK, actually, because the panel will have aged a good bit by then, so that's an opportunity to get it re-dialed in while dealing with whatever fallout from the firmware change.
post #18189 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 45
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Good grief as a developer it terrifies me you guys are willing to update to test versions of the software from the service menu. These are never meant for end users but rather for testers. Some of these versions may not even see the light of day. The fact that you can’t downgrade after updating with the newer test versions, you should really do this with caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 3isRC; 06-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #18190 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3isRC View Post
Good grief as a developer it terrifies me you guys are willing to update to test versions of the software from the service menu. These are never meant for end users but rather for testers. Some of these versions may not even see the light a day. The fact that you can’t downgrade after updating with the newer test versions, you should really do this with caution.

In my last post, where I suggested asking the member's calibrator about downloading the beta firmware, I had your thought in mind. His calibrator will more than likely say what you just said....that he would NOT update to a version that may never "see the light of day," leaving one with the inability to "downgrade" to a former FW version.
RBO, Cam1977, 3isRC and 1 others like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #18191 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
You are probably tired of hearing advice on this, but I will give you a less invasive (no service menu needed) option, assuming the calibrator doesn't use AutoCal and doesn't charge more to do this. It also assumes you are not using all your HDMI ports:

1) Use the Sure app and downgrade to 4.10.15. Calibrate one or more picture modes for SDR/HDR - Cinema, Technicolor, ISF Bright, ISF Dark on HDMI1.
2) Update the firmware to 4.10.55 and calibrate one or more picture modes for SDR/HDR - Cinema, Technicolor, ISF Bright, ISF Dark on HDMI2, 3, or 4.

Of course, use which ever HDMI ports you want - you might want the 4.10.55 calibration on HDMI2 if you are using ARC, etc.

When (if?) LG releases the gamma-corrected version, you can copy your Expert settings from the Step 1 HDMI port to the Step 2 HDMI port. This should work since someone reported (@Jk82?) that no changes to white balance were needed between 4.10.15 and 5.xx.xx and gamma was back to the way it was previously. If it never comes out, you can copy the step #2 HDMI port settings to the step #1 HDMI port.

post #18192 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 04:46 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 328
The calibrators used to have to go into the SM routinely in order to do the calibration. For example years ago when I had my DLP calibrated. The calibrator in that session went in and out of the SM for 12 hours. He was very persistent and determined to do a perfect job and his efforts were successful. Going into the SM is something that an experienced professional calibrator should be competent enough to do for you.

Now, however, LG focuses on co-ordination with ISF calibrations being done with Calman auto-calibrating software. Reliance on the automatic calibration software unfortunately may lessen the calibrator's skills and confidence to do anything himself directly in the SM. It also unfortunately closes down some abilities for the owner to make subsequent changes via the user menu settings. And when LG makes critical changes to such things as gamma settings via Firmware updates, which then conflicts with the TVs that have had Calman auto-calibrations, the TV calibration may be negated and the TV is no longer accurately calibrated.

Therefore, I would recommend hiring a calibrator that does not rely on Calman auto-calibration software and who has the skills and talents to do his job the old fashioned way = manually calibrating the LG with precision equipment. Such as Jeff Meier of Accu Cal Services.

But any professional calibrator should supply the client with the detailed IRE and color management settings he achieves and documents, So you should be able to get back to the calibration he achieved. Sad to say though, some ISF certified calibrators are not that accommodating. For example, the one who did my Pioneer Kuro plasma some years ago. He was listed with the ISF certified calibrators Web site but he was very inexperienced and unsatisfactory. He also would not provide any documents of the calibration. He said he would email them later to me but never did.

The bottom line is, ISF certification does not really mean a whole lot. It's the calibrators experience and reputation that matters most.

Good luck with yours.
Glenee, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #18193 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 05:03 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
In my last post, where I suggested asking the member's calibrator about downloading the beta firmware, I had your thought in mind. His calibrator will more than likely say what you just said....that he would NOT update to a version that may never "see the light of day," leaving one with the inability to "downgrade" to a former FW version.

My C8s were on FW .55. I asked Jeff Meier via email what he thought about my venturing into the SM for the beta FW and he recommended leaving it alone and resolve to never update again after calibrations were done. I decided on my own to update anyway to 05.20.00 thinking it was apparently by all accounts the better version to be "stuck with."

When Jeff saw that he didn't disagree. But after doing the calibration he again advised to never update the FW again.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 06-15-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #18194 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I’m getting to the end of my return time and I starting to worry that LG won’t release this update. I know people say just enjoy your set but mine is very dark and needs the gamma fix. I’m starting to wonder if they are going to release a new FW.
post #18195 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 05:26 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I’m getting to the end of my return time and I starting to worry that LG won’t release this update. I know people say just enjoy your set but mine is very dark and needs the gamma fix. I’m starting to wonder if they are going to release a new FW.

You shouldn't worry about they're not publicly releasing some version of 05.20.00 beta eventually. The fact it fixes the gamma errors made subsequent to 04.10.15 surely indicates they recognize the need to do so.

It will come.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 06-15-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #18196 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6390 Post(s)
Liked: 6389
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Yes, I saw the stats and the differences between the Sony and LG OLEDs were minimal in most cases.
All 4 of the top sets are amazing displays. You just can not go wrong......
Glenee, npsacobra and Paul Jarman like this.
post #18197 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I must (reluctantly) give up my dedicated HT space due to a move to a small condo. I’m going with a Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar (my first soundbar).
That's one hell of a soundbar judging by the reviews and would be interested in how well it hooks up with your C8. I have an E8 with Sonos Beam and sub but am setting up another TV space and very interested in the Ambeo.
post #18198 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 2147
^yeah you can. The Sony and Samdung LCDs are weak sauce for dark room viewing.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #18199 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
All 4 of the top sets are amazing displays. You just can not go wrong......
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
^yeah you can. The Sony and Samsung LCDs are weak sauce for dark room viewing.
I concur with drewTT! I finally have the OLED I have wanted for years for my "dark Man Cave." I had a Sony LCD/LED for almost three years in there but I was always bothered by the distracting "light bleed" into the letter-boxed bars and the "halos" around bright objects with a black background. Those problems are a thing of the past! So, I not only "can go wrong" with an LCD display; I "did go wrong" with an LCD display!

You might be thinking, "Why did you get an LCD then?" Ah, because the price of a 77" OLED was in the stratosphere back in 2016. Now they are quite reasonable.
Bigmoviefan and Cam1977 like this.

post #18200 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post

This reminds me of the 2016 Oleds where a firmware update screwed up the EOTF of the HDR game preset. It took like a year until LG fixed it...
post #18201 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jarman View Post
That's one hell of a soundbar judging by the reviews and would be interested in how well it hooks up with your C8. I have an E8 with Sonos Beam and sub but am setting up another TV space and very interested in the Ambeo.

There’s a separate thread for the Ambeo, and reviews (including mine) should be popping up very soon.

Paul Jarman likes this.
post #18202 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Well, my calibrator, Pete Nelsen of Attuned Calibration Services in East Windsor, CT, worked 11 hours and did an amazing, thorough job. My TV looked pretty good before, it looks even better now!

I won't be upgrading firmware unless it fixes a serious problem THAT I AM ACTUALLY EXPERIENCING WITH MY TV! And even then, only after others have tried it out and can say for sure if it will affect my calibration.

Last edited by nelamvr6; 06-15-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: omission
post #18203 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 3458
^smart move.
post #18204 of 19160 Old 06-15-2019, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 12469 Post(s)
Liked: 11656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpyo012 View Post
I don't think Netflix has any HDR10 content, only DV.
You can have 4k resolution with no HDR.
anything in Dolby Vision also has an hdr10 grade for non Dolby Vision tvs. for 4k Blu rays, hdr10 is the base layer which is a requirement on disc's. no requirement for streams. last I heard, the grades Netflix uses are separate. if you have a DV TV, Netflix sends you the DV version. if you have an hdr10 only tv, they send you the hdr10 version. Again, Netflix DV does not have an hdr10 baselayer like disc's, probably to save bandwidth.
post #18205 of 19160 Old 06-16-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3isRC View Post
Good grief as a developer it terrifies me you guys are willing to update to test versions of the software from the service menu. These are never meant for end users but rather for testers. Some of these versions may not even see the light of day. The fact that you can’t downgrade after updating with the newer test versions, you should really do this with caution.

Finally, someone with expertise knocking some sense into the fools on this thread
rdgcss likes this.
post #18206 of 19160 Old 06-16-2019, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tipa View Post
Finally, someone with expertise knocking some sense into the fools on this thread

There is really no need to insult people , everyone has a different risk tolerance . Keep up this style of posting and you may not be here long .

LCSeminole, tanman, RBO and 3 others like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #18207 of 19160 Old 06-16-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked: 6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
There is really no need to insult people , everyone has a different risk tolerance . Keep up this style of posting and you may not be here long
Indeed. There's very little new to say on the subject! We're just treading water until the firmware is released
RBO, djoberg and chunon like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #18208 of 19160 Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, my calibrator, Pete Nelsen of Attuned Calibration Services in East Windsor, CT, worked 11 hours and did an amazing, thorough job. My TV looked pretty good before, it looks even better now!

I won't be upgrading firmware unless it fixes a serious problem THAT I AM ACTUALLY EXPERIENCING WITH MY TV! And even then, only after others have tried it out and can say for sure if it will affect my calibration.

Congratulations on the calibration. Taking 11 hours he must have done it manually instead of using Calman Auto-Cal right ? Also, did your calibrator not update the FW and you are still on 04.10.55 ?

Russ (another one)

post #18209 of 19160 Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tipa View Post

So, you've never jumped out of a perfectly good airplane before, eh? OK.

Russ (another one)

post #18210 of 19160 Old 06-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Congratulations on the calibration. Taking 11 hours he must have done it manually instead of using Calman Auto-Cal right ? Also, did your calibrator not update the FW and you are still on 04.10.55 ?

No, he didn't update the firmware. He manually calibrated for SDR, and used autocal for HDR and DolbyVision.

The picture looks really amazing now. He was very patient and explained everything that he was doing, but frankly quite a bit of it went over my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page