2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 613 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78889Likes

post #18361 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6403 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleHimself View Post
Hi All,

Would anyone have a few photos to show what an LG E8 55 or 65 inch look mounted on a wall? I want to purchase the LG E8 65 inch by the end of the year and I need to see what it looks like before I go ahead with the plans for it in my bedroom.

Thank you
That model is discontinued, within a month or two, those will be gone forever, might want to start looking at the E9's........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18362 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
You completely misunderstood what I said. Probably a bad explanation on my part. Depending on what content you're watching you'll get different code values. There are three sets all together. I calibrated the TV, and then stored my settings on all the inputs. I copied my settings from a YouTube HDR video I was watching, which uses different code values. Regardless of the code value, it's basically a 20 point setup, and they all share the same 20 points. If you're watching an HDR movie off of an uhd Blu Ray player, put the values in sequentially. No, I did not take the values from a video on YouTube. Who the f would do that. Gtfoh LMAO
You are correct in that I did misunderstand what you said. Thanks for the clarification. You'd be surprised what folks will do to "calibrate" or try to get the best pq possible.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #18363 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Quote:
You completely misunderstood what I said. Probably a bad explanation on my part. Depending on what content you're watching you'll get different code values. There are three sets all together. I calibrated the TV, and then stored my settings on all the inputs. I copied my settings from a YouTube HDR video I was watching, which uses different code values. Regardless of the code value, it's basically a 20 point setup, and they all share the same 20 points. If you're watching an HDR movie off of an uhd Blu Ray player, put the values in sequentially. No, I did not take the values from a video on YouTube. Who the f would do that. Gtfoh LMAO
You are correct in that I did misunderstand what you said. Thanks for the clarification. You'd be surprised what folks will do to "calibrate" or try to get the best pq possible.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I don't doubt it. Maybe I should make a YouTube video 😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18364 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
I don't doubt it. Maybe I should make a YouTube video 😂

Oh please don't We have enough of those already

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #18365 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 3606
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
I never said that. My point is that this is a forum. One that we all frequent to share information. In the settings page, which is literally about the settings built into the TV, you and a few others told insinuated that my calibration wasn't correct because I didn't use Auto Cal. That's preposterous. I don't think my settings are bulletproof, as there is such thing as panel variance. These are digital displays, and the panels shouldn't vary enough for my settings to be worse than default. We're not calibrating analog systems like speakers and subwoofers that react to a room. It's a tv for heaven's sake. If you don't like the settings you can quickly hit the reset button. It doesn't damage the tv....let me ask you something. Did you pay for a calibration? Because if so, I would be pissed. LG is the one that's screwing everyone. Not me....yet you keep going on some personal crusade...We obviously have common interests and good taste in TV's, so can we calm this whole thing down. I'm no calibration god or anything like that. Just sharing my hard work.

I did my own calibration using autocal and also used Lightspace , also tried manual . I found the results to be better with autocal , that’s my only motivation , not some nefarious plot. I don’t have a negative opinion of manual calibration but if I can achieve the same results or better with auto calibration why wouldn’t anyone go that route if they have the necessary software and hardware ?

As far the settings thread you are the one that started the conflict over there after no one wanted to discuss manual calibration . You attacked a couple of pros for no good reason imo . I am really done commenting I have given my opinion .

I have had professional calibrations in the past haven’t made a final decision on this set . A reference professional Spectro and a colorimeter like the Klein 10 make a difference in oleds imo . I can’t afford 20000 equipment . So I am on the fence .

I think you are a little defensive wasn’t attacking you personally just giving my opinion based on lots of years experience with diy and pro calibrations . Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2

Last edited by chunon; 06-20-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #18366 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
Quote:
I've had some time to play with the panel, and I have some new settings for hdr and sdr. I sent my spectro to x-rite right after this calibration, and it's still as accurate as if it was new. Sadly, I think the FAQs might have to be changed. Make sure you turn off all picture enhancements like super resolution etc. If I don't have a number next to a setting, leave it at default. So now on to the fun stuff....

SDR mode: ISF Dark
Target 120 nits

Oled light: 37
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0

Expert controls:
Gamma: 2.4
Warm 2
2 point white balance high: red 2, green -1, blue -8
20 point luminance and rgb value:
5 ire) 10, 0, 2, 2
10 ire) 12, 1, 2, 1
15) 9, 1, 1, 2
20) 10, 1, 0, 1
25) 7, 2, 1, 3
30) 6, 0, 0, 1
35) 4, 2, 1, 4
40) 5, 1, -1, 4
45) 3, 0, 0, 4
50) 7, -1, -1, 5
55) 5, 0, -1, 5
60) 2, -1, -1, 4
65) 7, -1, 0, 1
70) 7, -2, 0, 2
75) 4, 0, 0, 3
80) -1, 0, 0, 1
85) 1, -1, 0, 1
90) 1, -1, 1, 4
95) 0, -1, 0, 3
100) -2, 0, 0, 3

Color management system:
Red: -12, 0, 2
Green: -12, -6, 0
Blue: -8, 0, 1
Cyan: -17, 0, 0
Magenta: -9, 0, 2
Yellow: -15, -1, 1

Edit: Raising the oled light alters the gamma. That's why my settings are so different from before.
Can we share the sdr settings to all inputs?
You don't have a note not to share it like HDR10 so I would assume we share it

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
You can share the SDR settings, but there may be a few values that change or don't transfer correctly. HDR on the other hand will have wildly different numbers
calfcramp likes this.
post #18367 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Quote:
I never said that. My point is that this is a forum. One that we all frequent to share information. In the settings page, which is literally about the settings built into the TV, you and a few others told insinuated that my calibration wasn't correct because I didn't use Auto Cal. That's preposterous. I don't think my settings are bulletproof, as there is such thing as panel variance. These are digital displays, and the panels shouldn't vary enough for my settings to be worse than default. We're not calibrating analog systems like speakers and subwoofers that react to a room. It's a tv for heaven's sake. If you don't like the settings you can quickly hit the reset button. It doesn't damage the tv....let me ask you something. Did you pay for a calibration? Because if so, I would be pissed. LG is the one that's screwing everyone. Not me....yet you keep going on some personal crusade...We obviously have common interests and good taste in TV's, so can we calm this whole thing down. I'm no calibration god or anything like that. Just sharing my hard work.

I did my own calibration using autocal and also used Lightspace , also tried manual . I found the results to be better with autocal , that’️s my only motivation , not some nefarious plot. I don’️t have a negative opinion of manual calibration but if I can achieve the same results or better with auto calibration why wouldn’️t anyone go that route if they have the necessary software and hardware ?

As far the settings thread you are the one that started the conflict over there after no one wanted to discuss manual calibration . You attacked a couple of pros for no good reason imo . I am really done commenting I have given my opinion .

I have had professional calibrations the past haven’️t made a final decision on this set . A reference professional Spectro and a colorimeter like the Klein 10 make a difference in oleds imo . I can’️t afford 20000 equipment . So I am on the fence .

I think you are a little defensive wasn’️t attacking you personally just giving my opinion based on lots of years experience with diy and pro calibrations . Peace

I caused a stink on that page because I mentioned manual cal, and I had 4 people tell me that's not how to do it and to buy a certain product. One of them was a Calman rep, the other had an invested interest in lightspace. I'm sure you understand how that comes off....

I like hcfr, and I'm not in the position to pay for an HDR pattern generator and Auto Cal for similar results. It would be nice, but just probably won't happen. That's why I share these settings. So others can use something that they can change in the TV itself. It's not a bad thing.
post #18368 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I caused a stink on that page because I mentioned manual cal, and I had 4 people tell me that's not how to do it and to buy a certain product. One of them was a Calman rep, the other had an invested interest in lightspace. I'm sure you understand how that comes off....

I like hcfr, and I'm not in the position to pay for an HDR pattern generator and Auto Cal for similar results. It would be nice, but just probably won't happen. That's why I share these settings. So others can use something that they can change in the TV itself. It's not a bad thing.

Never said it was dude, I am sure everyone is tired of this drama so I a moving on I have said my piece . Take it or leave it doesn’t matter to me one way or the other . Have a good day .

calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #18369 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thunder07 View Post
I have "FW page 470" and "Rollback page 472" scribbled on a sheet of paper. I didn't go back and look but I think it's there. Good luck
Thank you!
11thunder07 likes this.
post #18370 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Never said it was dude, I am sure everyone is tired of this drama so I a moving on I have said my piece . Take it or leave it doesn’️t matter to me one way or the other . Have a good day .

No, no. We're going to be friends lol. Who were the professionals I argued with? I'd like to pick their brain a little bit, in a good way. I just hope it wasn't Vincent from hdtvtest. That guy seems pretty cool.
post #18371 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 AM

I have a ton of respect for professionals. They have more experience with a wider range of products, and they out their reputations on the line. I almost did it, but I felt like my hobby would become dull if it was a job.

Chad B is great. He helped layout the process for the b6 calibrations. Without that, the tv was incredibly hard to calibrate, if not impossible. So they have their place for many.

My personal opinion is people should buy a meter and learn how to use it, as you and I have, but most don't have to time or patience to learn. Anyway, we won't argue anymore. Peace my fellow video enthusiast
calfcramp likes this.
post #18372 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I have a ton of respect for professionals. They have more experience with a wider range of products, and they out their reputations on the line. I almost did it, but I felt like my hobby would become dull if it was a job.

Chad B is great. He helped layout the process for the b6 calibrations. Without that, the tv was incredibly hard to calibrate, if not impossible. So they have their place for many.

My personal opinion is people should buy a meter and learn how to use it, as you and I have, but most don't have to time or patience to learn. Anyway, we won't argue anymore. Peace my fellow video enthusiast

Chad is my calibrator , if he told you not to mess with CMS except in certain very limited circumstances would you listen ? Anyway I think we just agree to disagree on certain things .

tanman and calfcramp like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #18373 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Chad is my calibrator , if he told you not to mess with CMS except in certain very limited circumstances would you listen ? Anyway I think we just agree to disagree on certain things .

Of course I would listen to him and hopefully have a conversation about it. I know that the b6 had bad posterization when messing with the CMS. The C8 has much more bandwidth in the internal luts, or whatever, and that translates to manual calibration from what I can tell. The C8 CMS has great performance in SDR, and very few, if any, HDR artifacts that I can see in real world content. I really would like to autocal because game mode sucks imo, but it's just so expensive to buy everything you need.
post #18374 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Also, doesn't autocal run a huge amount of slides? From my experience, the tv starts getting temporary image retention when going over 100 nits fairly quickly. The only way I've been able to get that to go away is to switch back and forth with real content. How does Calman, or any other software account for this when they run so many slides. I've heard it's in the thousands. The grey insert slides don't get rid of the retention from what I've noticed.
post #18375 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 09:59 AM

2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Of course I would listen to him and hopefully have a conversation about it. I know that the b6 had bad posterization when messing with the CMS. The C8 has much more bandwidth in the internal luts, or whatever, and that translates to manual calibration from what I can tell. The C8 CMS has great performance in SDR, and very few, if any, HDR artifacts that I can see in real world content. I really would like to autocal because game mode sucks imo, but it's just so expensive to buy everything you need.

You might want to hit him up on that just saying . At any rate obviously your prerogative . It’s really not that expensive the Calman for LG license is $149 , you can use your Pc as a pattern generator or a fire stick .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 06-20-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #18376 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You might want to hit him up on that just saying . At any set so obviously your prerogative . It’️s really not that expensive the Calman for LG license is $149 , you can use your Pc as a pattern generator or a fire stick .

Fire stick for HDR? I'm intrigued. Please, Do tell.
post #18377 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeK9X View Post
I can confirm that both sides look like this. The screws are nowhere to be found. The TV either didn't come with them, or the technicians got rid of them without me noticing, but they were certainly not installed.

At this point, I'm tired of waiting for LG and will probably ask for my money back, so I can buy a proper TV.
All because of two missing screws, which the technicians forgot? Wow. Just - wow.
smitty and tanman like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #18378 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also, doesn't autocal run a huge amount of slides? From my experience, the tv starts getting temporary image retention when going over 100 nits fairly quickly. The only way I've been able to get that to go away is to switch back and forth with real content. How does Calman, or any other software account for this when they run so many slides. I've heard it's in the thousands. The grey insert slides don't get rid of the retention from what I've noticed.
It's a constantly moving target with every OLED, it's just something we have to live with. (they call it "panel drift").

You can always set the grey inserts for a longer period if you like, to help the TV cool down more.

Even if you manage to get a perfect calibration with the TV at one temperature, it will be "off" when the TV warms up more (eg after watching for several hours). So you have to choose when calibrating, if you want the start of the movie to be accurate, or the end . What I'm trying to say is that there's no way you'd realistically notice it happening during the session, so I don't really worry about it too much.

To answer your question (HDR calibration if it's >100 nits I assume), you don't run the 33x33x33 LUT for HDR. It's the 3DLUTs which have the recommendation to do lots of measurements. Instead, you just do the 6-point Matrix LUT. For greyscale 1DLUT in HDR, I've done it a few times and saved the "finished" dialogue boxes which I'll attach. I'm still experimenting with it.

EDIT for the hard of reading: I'm still experimenting with it. This was not a finished calibration. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grey-finished.png
Views:	41
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	2582396   Click image for larger version

Name:	grey-finished3.png
Views:	38
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	2582398   Click image for larger version

Name:	grey-auto-3.png
Views:	37
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	2582490  
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 06-20-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #18379 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:

No sdr only unless you have one of the two supported pattern generators they arent cheap.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #18380 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Use with a HDFury Integra to inject the HDR10 metadata. There are many cheap pattern generators, Fire stick is not bit accurate but the Raspberry Pi is.

post #18381 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 292
^^ Agreed, Raspberry Pi is good on many fronts.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #18382 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
Use with a HDFury Integra to inject the HDR10 metadata. There are many cheap pattern generators, Fire stick is not bit accurate but the Raspberry Pi is.
Sounds like a lot of work. How much is the Integra? And by injecting, do you mean convert?
post #18383 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
It's a constantly moving target with every OLED, it's just something we have to live with. (they call it "panel drift").

You can always set the grey inserts for a longer period if you like, to help the TV cool down more.

Even if you manage to get a perfect calibration with the TV at one temperature, it will be "off" when the TV warms up more (eg after watching for several hours). So you have to choose when calibrating, if you want the start of the movie to be accurate, or the end [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]. What I'm trying to say is that there's no way you'd realistically notice it happening during the session, so I don't really worry about it too much.

To answer your question (HDR calibration if it's >100 nits I assume), you don't run the 33x33x33 LUT for HDR. It's the 3DLUTs which have the recommendation to do lots of measurements. Instead, you just do the 6-point Matrix LUT. For greyscale 1DLUT in HDR, I've done it a few times and saved the "finished" dialogue boxes which I'll attach. I'm still experimenting with it.
The tv does take time to warm up. At least a couple of hours for calibration. It starts out very blue when you first turn it on. The panel shift/retention that I'm describing only seems to occur with static images. I don't see how it can happen with a moving picture. So, what I do is flip back and forth between the r. Masciolas test patterns via USB and the internal Netflix app in Dolby vision. Seems to keep everything at a constant. I do appreciate the other technical information. Thank you.
calfcramp likes this.
post #18384 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
Quote:
Never said it was dude, I am sure everyone is tired of this drama so I a moving on I have said my piece . Take it or leave it doesn’t matter to me one way or the other . Have a good day .

You got that right, sharing settings is one thing (and not something I recommend as well), but there is a calibration thread for our displays for a reason. Missing the firmware discussion

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #18385 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 11:24 AM

Also, is that a grayscale post calibration graph? That's not very good man.....the rgb levels are all over the place.
post #18386 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Quote:
Never said it was dude, I am sure everyone is tired of this drama so I a moving on I have said my piece . Take it or leave it doesn’️t matter to me one way or the other . Have a good day .

You got that right, sharing settings is one thing (and not something I recommend as well), but there is a calibration thread for our displays for a reason. Missing the firmware discussion [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
You mean the firmware that's not even officially out yet? Seems to me that people talk about all sorts of things in here. My bad....
calfcramp likes this.

Last edited by chronitis; 06-20-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #18387 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
All because of two missing screws, which the technicians forgot? Wow. Just - wow.

You probably didn't read my previous messages, but I'm on the third LG OLED with issues. The first two had a defective panel (like many 2017 55" units, as confirmed by LG themselves to Rtings.com), and they only agreed to replace the last one with a newer model after I threatened them with legal action, because I'm a lawyer and had my complaint escalated to the higher-ups. That took over a month. A month that I spent waiting for a TV.

I'm usually very patient (my profession demands that), but enough is enough. Scheduling another appointment with the local authorized service center will take at least a week, and I'm well within my rights to demand my money back, which I can use to purchase a new TV wherever I want, whenever I want.

Before assuming things incorrectly and using a condescending tone, I'd recommend at least trying to inform yourself about that consumer's specific case.
post #18388 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I’m still trying to grasp the idea of everyone sharing their calibration/adjustment details. Aren’t those panel and lighting specific and individual per user case?

Even settings provided via rtings and avsforum should probably be treated with a grain of salt unless proper calibration equipment is on hand.

Thoughts?

Otto Pylot likes this.
post #18389 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post
I’m still trying to grasp the idea of everyone sharing their calibration/adjustment details. Aren’t those panel and lighting specific and individual per user case?

Even settings provided via rtings and avsforum should probably be treated with a grain of salt unless proper calibration equipment is on hand.

Thoughts?

You nailed it imo

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #18390 of 19312 Old 06-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgarffi View Post

Thoughts?

You can try to see if it will be better in yours than your current settings and you can always adjust to your liking or roll it back if you don't like it. Their settings are great in mine with minor adjustment to my liking

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page