2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 628 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80807Likes

post #18811 of 21734 Old 07-04-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo80 View Post
I recently bought a 65" C8 "open box" from Best Buy for an incredible price. It only had a couple hours on it and looks flawless. Great picture.

However, when I was wiping down the screen with the power off I noticed what looks like water or some liquid running down the inside of the glass. When something is being displayed on the screen it's not noticeable at all, but if I look at the screen, especially with a flashlight with the power off, I can see what I mentioned.

Is this normal? Can someone with a C8 look at their screen with a flashlight and see if there appears to be streaks inside? I'm not sure if this is part of the manufacturing process (like gluing components to the glass) or if it was somehow damaged before I took it home. Again when it's on the picture is great, but if there was some type of damage to it I'm worried about the life of the TV.

Thanks.
Add a after market warranty if you are worried, depending how much you stole it for.....If it was cheap enough I would keep it
calfcramp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18812 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
Have you tried re-booting your wi-fi router?
Yes, but that didn't help.
post #18813 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
No idea what's so hard to understand about this.

People who have installed the beta 05.10.02 will have the exact same firmware on their TV as people who wait until their TV gets it officially. It's the same firmware, no matter if you installed it through service menu engineering, from the korean site or just wait until your TV gets it officially.

It was just risky to install it early because back then we didn't know which version will be flagged as an official release after testing has finished. We didn't even know if it's gonna be a 05.xx.xx version. For example that was the case with 05.20.00 and 05.20.02 which didn't make it to an official release and people who installed it are stuck with that FW for now until a higher version releases.

As for irreversible effects. Yes of course it's irreversible, it's a new firmware with the gamma curve fixed and that is in fact irreversible as you can no longer downgrade.

But anyway, I guess it won't take long until everyone gets it officially. LG does these firmware rollouts always very slow.
It might be the same if that same version will be released as the official one.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18814 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've been following this thread now for about 6 weeks. I have a 77" C8 that I purchased. I have 353 hours on it so far. I'm planning to have it calibrated by Chad B when he comes to Texas in October. He's calibrated my TV's previously. I have been suffering with the dreaded black crush that came with 4.10.55 since I got the TV. I was ecstatic yesterday when I saw the file posted here to update to 05.10.02. Had a little difficulty as the file folder name is lower case and in order to update the file folder needs to be all uppercase letters. That took me a minute to figure out. After correcting the file folder name the update went off without a hitch. I had been using gamma 1.9 to compensate for the black crush. I tried to use BT.1886 after the update but found it still had a lot of crush. Moved to gamma 2.2 and while crush definitely has improved I'm still finding black crush on some shows like Modern Family. I was hoping that the crush would be eliminated with the firmware 05.10.02. I watched the new season of Stranger Things in 4K last night. Overall it looked great with Dolby Vision but I still was wanting for more detail in the dark scenes. My eyes are used to a Chad B calibrated Panasonic VT50 where details in the black/dark scenes are always excellent. For those who have calibrated their C8 is this something that will improve once I have it calibrated? Overall I'm loving my new OLED but as great as having perfect black is I'm learning there is definitely too much a of good thing sometimes.

Last edited by jcavila; 07-05-2019 at 09:55 AM.
post #18815 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
^^^^^^^^^

That doesn't sound good!

Having said that, IF it is the same FW as the 05.20.00 beta FW that others have downloaded, they are more than satisfied with it.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #18816 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavila View Post
I've been following this thread now for about 6 weeks. I have a 77" C8 that I purchased. I have 353 hours on it so far. I'm planning to have it calibrated by Chad B when he comes to Texas in October. He's calibrated my TV's previously. I have been suffering with the dreaded black crush that came with 4.10.55 since I got the TV. I was ecstatic yesterday when I saw the file posted to update to 05.10.02. Had a little difficulty as the file folder name is lower case and in order to update the file folder needs to be all uppercase letters. That took me a minute to figure out. After correcting the file folder name the update went off without a hitch. I had been using gamma 1.9 to compensate for the black crush. I tried to use BT.1886 after the update but found it still had a lot of crush. Moved to gamma 2.2 and while crush definitely has improved I'm still finding black crush on some shows like Modern Family. I was hoping that the crush would be eliminated with the firmware 05.10.02. I watched the new season of Stranger Things in 4K last night. Overall it looked great with Dolby Vision but I still was wanting for more detail in the dark scenes. My eyes are used to a Chad B calibrated Panasonic VT50 where details in the black/dark scenes are always excellent. For those who have calibrated their C8 is this something that will improve once I have it calibrated? Overall I'm loving my new OLED but as great as having perfect black is I'm learning there is definitely too much a of good thing sometimes.
Where did you see the new fw? Still the .56 in LG website

post #18817 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post
Where did you see the new fw? Still the .56 in LG website

Another member grabbed it from the official Korean site a couple of days ago and posted the .epk file here. Just go back a couple of pages.
post #18818 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 332
^^ I am still not sure if I'd install something until official release. I know all you USB install guys are probably not with me on this!
post #18819 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Another member grabbed it from the official Korean site a couple of days ago and posted the .epk file here. Just go back a couple of pages.
Will it be the same for NA?

post #18820 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Will it be the same for NA?

Yes, much like Blu-ray regions for discs, were both compatible.
post #18821 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ I am still not sure if I'd install something until official release. I know all you USB install guys are probably not with me on this!
I'll wait for the official release also in NA. I will do usb install if check updates find nothing even it's already in the website in US/CA

post #18822 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2097 Post(s)
Liked: 2246
Quote:
I've been following this thread now for about 6 weeks. I have a 77" C8 that I purchased. I have 353 hours on it so far. I'm planning to have it calibrated by Chad B when he comes to Texas in October. He's calibrated my TV's previously. I have been suffering with the dreaded black crush that came with 4.10.55 since I got the TV. I was ecstatic yesterday when I saw the file posted here to update to 05.10.02. Had a little difficulty as the file folder name is lower case and in order to update the file folder needs to be all uppercase letters. That took me a minute to figure out. After correcting the file folder name the update went off without a hitch. I had been using gamma 1.9 to compensate for the black crush. I tried to use BT.1886 after the update but found it still had a lot of crush. Moved to gamma 2.2 and while crush definitely has improved I'm still finding black crush on some shows like Modern Family. I was hoping that the crush would be eliminated with the firmware 05.10.02. I watched the new season of Stranger Things in 4K last night. Overall it looked great with Dolby Vision but I still was wanting for more detail in the dark scenes. My eyes are used to a Chad B calibrated Panasonic VT50 where details in the black/dark scenes are always excellent. For those who have calibrated their C8 is this something that will improve once I have it calibrated? Overall I'm loving my new OLED but as great as having perfect black is I'm learning there is definitely too much a of good thing sometimes.
You will need a C9 to get closer. C9 has improvements in near black noise and shadow detail per Vincent. I have the latest firmware .02 on my E8 and that is as good as it is going to get regarding near black/shadow detail. However panel variance could be at play on your C8. No complaints from me, I thought Stranger Things e1 and e2 looked excellent.
Glenee, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #18823 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzrD View Post
Yes, but that didn't help.
Sometimes rebooting the router can make things worse, especially if you have lots of devices connected to the router. The router assigns IP addresses to the devices and keeps track of the addresses that have been used. If router looses power or is rebooted it forgets everything. Then some devices try to reconnect using their existing IP while others ask for a new one. A knightmare in the making.
post #18824 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Sometimes rebooting the router can make things worse, especially if you have lots of devices connected to the router. The router assigns IP addresses to the devices and keeps track of the addresses that have been used. If router looses power or is rebooted it forgets everything. Then some devices try to reconnect using their existing IP while others ask for a new one. A knightmare in the making.
If the router is "forgetting" existing DHCP leases upon reboot, it's implementing its duties as a DHCP server terribly.

A decent one will know which IPs it has leased out even across a reboot. And clients will periodically check in to renew that lease and will tend to get the same address again.

Rebooting a router or dhcp server shouldn't cause dhcp-related chaos. But, if a router is behaving this poorly as a dhcp server, I'd recommend setting up dhcp reservations so that clients always get the same IP.

--H
tanman, calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #18825 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Just assign the ip to specific devices and it will be reserved for these devices

tanman and calfcramp like this.
post #18826 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^^^^

That doesn't sound good!

Having said that, IF it is the same FW as the 05.20.00 beta FW that others have downloaded, they are more than satisfied with it.
Definitely happy with it. I am far more thankful for the helpful members ITT than LG's trash support
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #18827 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone notice that you can now turn your TV on using the YouTube app from your phone?

I saw the 26/06/2019 update version 1.0.63 for the YouTube app on the LG Content Store noted:
Quote:
Once installed, the 'Turn on via Wi-Fi feature will be enabled, allowing you to turn on your TV to other devices.
I screwed around last night unsuccessfully, until an update for my iPhone's YouTube app suddenly appeared. Then it worked. It says the iPhone app was updated 5 days ago but it just appeared in the App Store for me this morning (version 14.26).

With the TV off, and the apps up-to-date, open the YouTube app on your phone and hit the 'Screen Cast' button at the top. Enjoy!

sitruC
post #18828 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Just assign the ip to specific devices and it will be reserved for these devices

All my devices have static address (except a smartphone) outside the range the router uses for dhcp. Router is also on a UPS so no power outages. Conflicting address problem solved years ago.

Last edited by rdgcss; 07-05-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #18829 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 1580
Quote:
My eyes are used to a Chad B calibrated Panasonic VT50 where details in the black/dark scenes are always excellent. For those who have calibrated their C8 is this something that will improve once I have it calibrated? Overall I'm loving my new OLED but as great as having perfect black is I'm learning there is definitely too much a of good thing sometimes.
Yes, shadow detail improves with calibration, often dramatically; and blacks stay black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #18830 of 21734 Old 07-05-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I didn’t feel comfortable doing the “engineering mode” fw update but once the new fw was available via a direct dl to usb update I felt it was official.
post #18831 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4897 Post(s)
Liked: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez23 View Post
I didn’t feel comfortable doing the “engineering mode” fw update but once the new fw was available via a direct dl to usb update I felt it was official.
Hmm, yes, I agree. I suppose you guys can download the Korean one and install it since it's compatible with your chassis. I'm being ultra cautious though, unusually for me!, and I'm still waiting for LG to put the Euro chassis version on their UK download page, or give it to my OTA! (still nothing yet)

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #18832 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4897 Post(s)
Liked: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Coleman View Post
Anyone notice that you can now turn your TV on using the YouTube app from your phone?
It's always been that way, as far as I know.

I have that setting turned off, and each and every time I update any app that makes use of it - and several do - the TV turns it back and and gives you the help message informing you that it's done it.

It doesn't say "if you like, you can turn that setting on and benefit from feature X". I suppose they think fewer people would bother. It just can be a bit annoying sometimes having to continually keep turning it back off!

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #18833 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by misel00 View Post
Need Help with a C8 77". Can anyone with an internal schematic of the 8 series OLed's please send me a copy. I need to make sure the Wi-fi / bluetooth adapter is a separate module on the bottom Corner of the TV. This was the case in my C6 and I doubt they changed this configuration but I need to make sure. Somebody on here was Fantastic back then and had the repair PDF that showed the parts and where they are located. I would really appreciate if someone who has the schematic or the repair doc on the 8 Series oled's would share that with me. Much appreciated!
Not sure if you found it yet, but I stumbled across the service manual about two months ago if you still need it, PM me
post #18834 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
off topic but stranger things in 4k looks fantastic on my 65" C8. there's some pretty brutal torture scenes (one 10-15mins into the first episode made me shudder), but all the colourful mall scenes look sensational. and the pure black scenes are phenomenal.
gene9p, rdgcss and DrMichael like this.
post #18835 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 115
so who installed the Korean FW and is it better than the .15 I reverted back to???
11thunder07 likes this.
post #18836 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetiboy View Post
off topic but stranger things in 4k looks fantastic on my 65" C8. there's some pretty brutal torture scenes (one 10-15mins into the first episode made me shudder), but all the colourful mall scenes look sensational. and the pure black scenes are phenomenal.
I agree, the overall picture quality of the series was outstanding. There are also some banding torture tests where it doesn’t hold up that well but overall it makes the series look stunning.
post #18837 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
Quote:
I agree, the overall picture quality of the series was outstanding. There are also some banding torture tests where it doesn’️t hold up that well but overall it makes the series look stunning.
I haven't noticed any banding on my c8 with Stranger things or any other things. My B6 on the other hand.....
post #18838 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^^

A couple of other things:

1) I don't agree with your "logic" about LG not releasing a new FW Update for months since they just released .55. Do you realize how quickly they released .55 after their release of .31? I believe it was released in WEEKS, not months.

2) Regarding LG not considering the black crush a major issue, if that were the case then why is there the beta firmware (.5.20.00) that seems to have corrected the Gamma issue? In other words, what is the main reason for that FW if not to correct the black crush introduced with .31 and then again with .55?
I was only stating my opinion and nothing else. It is now July and they have not released any new firmware so common sense tells me they aren't in a hurry to release new firmware. Maybe this is a good thing and they are thoroughly testing this firmware before releasing it. Yes you are right about the beta version which seems to have corrected the problem per other users that have experimented with it. We are all in a holding pattern and at LG's mercy and I have to say that is frustrating. I would like to get my set calibrated but because of the firmware not being released I have held off on that. Sure I could get the set calibrated on .15 and just put up with the stupid update message that comes up virtually every time I turn the set on. I can wait for firmware update and how long will that be? If I get a calibration now and then update to 5.20 if and when it gets released I could potentially be looking at another calibration.

I guess the real issue is that LG is so secretive with firmware instead of being more upfront at least with an estimated time frame for new firmware. The same approach as Apple, don't tell!
post #18839 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I haven't noticed any banding on my c8 with Stranger things or any other things. My B6 on the other hand.....
Consider yourself lucky then lol
post #18840 of 21734 Old 07-06-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Good to see someone else thought this. Man, did this series look great on my 77C8. Truly the best display I've ever purchased (though if that 88” monster ends up being even half as good as the 77 and drops in price, I will be sorely tempted).

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page