2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 629 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81486Likes

post #18841 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I haven't noticed any banding on my c8 with Stranger things or any other things. My B6 on the other hand.....
Consider yourself lucky then lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18842 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetiboy View Post
off topic but stranger things in 4k looks fantastic on my 65" C8. there's some pretty brutal torture scenes (one 10-15mins into the first episode made me shudder), but all the colourful mall scenes look sensational. and the pure black scenes are phenomenal.
Good to see someone else thought this. Man, did this series look great on my 77C8. Truly the best display I've ever purchased (though if that 88” monster ends up being even half as good as the 77 and drops in price, I will be sorely tempted).

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
post #18843 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just recently bought a C8 and noticed the bottom of the panel wasn't flush with the rest of the tv, is this normal? I uploaded the picture I took as a file.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	2588124  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18844 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfark View Post
I just recently bought a C8 and noticed the bottom of the panel wasn't flush with the rest of the tv, is this normal? I uploaded the picture I took as a file.

Looks like it took a hit badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18845 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfark View Post
I would say that's anything but normal
post #18846 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
I was only stating my opinion and nothing else. It is now July and they have not released any new firmware so common sense tells me they aren't in a hurry to release new firmware. Maybe this is a good thing and they are thoroughly testing this firmware before releasing it. Yes you are right about the beta version which seems to have corrected the problem per other users that have experimented with it. We are all in a holding pattern and at LG's mercy and I have to say that is frustrating. I would like to get my set calibrated but because of the firmware not being released I have held off on that. Sure I could get the set calibrated on .15 and just put up with the stupid update message that comes up virtually every time I turn the set on. I can wait for firmware update and how long will that be? If I get a calibration now and then update to 5.20 if and when it gets released I could potentially be looking at another calibration.

I guess the real issue is that LG is so secretive with firmware instead of being more upfront at least with an estimated time frame for new firmware. The same approach as Apple, don't tell!

Ah welcome to our world of Software Engineering . Time frame, that’s laughable. This is not uncommon at all. The reality is there are other priorities that the development team must deliver besides our new version of the firmware. Unless it’s something that is critical and affects the TV functionality or compromises security, you can bet they are in no rush and it’s not on the top list of their backlog.

Last edited by 3isRC; 07-06-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #18847 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the Korean version ATSC and if I download it can I switch to a US firmware with the same revision number?

Have a question? AIM me: supremeMilo
post #18848 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
I was only stating my opinion and nothing else. It is now July and they have not released any new firmware so common sense tells me they aren't in a hurry to release new firmware. Maybe this is a good thing and they are thoroughly testing this firmware before releasing it. Yes you are right about the beta version which seems to have corrected the problem per other users that have experimented with it. We are all in a holding pattern and at LG's mercy and I have to say that is frustrating. I would like to get my set calibrated but because of the firmware not being released I have held off on that. Sure I could get the set calibrated on .15 and just put up with the stupid update message that comes up virtually every time I turn the set on. I can wait for firmware update and how long will that be? If I get a calibration now and then update to 5.20 if and when it gets released I could potentially be looking at another calibration.

I guess the real issue is that LG is so secretive with firmware instead of being more upfront at least with an estimated time frame for new firmware. The same approach as Apple, don't tell!
I hear you AND I feel for you, especially with the desire to have your display calibrated. If it were me, I would wait to have it calibrated. I know that's a difficult decision since we are indeed "at LG's mercy" and not knowing exactly when the OFFICIAL FW will be released.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #18849 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
so who installed the Korean FW and is it better than the .15 I reverted back to???
I just went to 05.10.02 off of JRocker23's download from 04.10.55. Listed in his post. I have seen no ill effects. I did have to lower my Brightness setting back to 51 from 58 just by eye. I have not had any time to get some test disk and meters on it to adjust. I definitely have a little Calibration work ahead of me. I like my display a little more on the Pop side, but like I said no ill effects yet that I can see. It is better than 04.10.55 for me.
LCSeminole and gene9p like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee

Last edited by Glenee; 07-07-2019 at 08:20 AM.
post #18850 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTom- View Post
Not sure if you found it yet, but I stumbled across the service manual about two months ago if you still need it, PM me
HI,
Thanks for the reply. Someone replied that the unit is separate but I would love to see the service manual as seeing it on paper would be a big plus as well. As I wrote, someone had the service manual back when I bought my C6 and that was very helpful. If you can send it to me or a link, It would be much appreciated! I can't send a Pm as the forum is stating I don't have 15 posts yet. Please Pm me.

Thanks again,
Mike
calfcramp likes this.
post #18851 of 22872 Old 07-06-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi, just to let you guys know I'm having my television calibrated tomorrow. I'm currently on 5.20, and I'm happy with it. To me it looks as good as it was on 4.10.15, but I'm not an expert. I'll let you guys know what my calibration expert thinks about it. He did tell me that the brightness at default 50 looks right when I ran a test pattern so I'm hopeful.

On another note who here uses the Panny UB820. When you watch a 4k disc in which the most advanced dynamic range is hdr10, do you keep both the lg's dynamic tone mapping on with the panny's hdr optimizer off, vice versa, or both. Has anyone ever done any tests with meters on that? I appreciate any response. Thanks!

Kim
post #18852 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question I couldnt solve so far:

How to switch off the “Not programmed” message on the Art Screensaver when I DONT have an Live TV? I only use SmartTV and all troubleshooting options deal with tuning live TV correctly - which I cant as I dont have/want any. Is there a way to simply get rid of the message?

Just joined the club yesterday when I bought my C855 - appreciate help from you guys
post #18853 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7013 Post(s)
Liked: 7023
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I hear you AND I feel for you, especially with the desire to have your display calibrated. If it were me, I would wait to have it calibrated. I know that's a difficult decision since we are indeed "at LG's mercy" and not knowing exactly when the OFFICIAL FW will be released.
Not to mention at any time another firmware update could wipe everything out.
post #18854 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I bought a X700 Sony UHD player to pair with my C8 and I am noticing lots of noise in black scenes when I let the TV do the upscaling. If I allow the player to upscale the issue goes away. What could be the issue here? I like to leave the player on auto and let the TV upscale of at possible since it seems to do a better job but this noise is killing the PQ
post #18855 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I want to wall mount our TV but our walls in the living room are plaster, which I've been told aren't ideal for it

I was looking at the mount available at costco and it looks like they have a desk mount (would sit on top the tv stand we have now) from SANUS does not need to be wall mounted but still provides the swivel function.

https://www.costco.com/SANUS-Simplic...100491271.html

Does anyone use something like this with their LG OLED? (I have the 65C8.)
I'd love a tilt function also but I can't find a desk mount that seems to provide that function as well.

Last edited by crazepharmacist; 07-07-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #18856 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 7745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumix33 View Post
Quick question I couldnt solve so far:

How to switch off the “Not programmed” message on the Art Screensaver when I DONT have an Live TV? I only use SmartTV and all troubleshooting options deal with tuning live TV correctly - which I cant as I dont have/want any. Is there a way to simply get rid of the message?

Just joined the club yesterday when I bought my C855 - appreciate help from you guys
Welcome and congrats.

There are two versions of the "no signal" screen.
1. The one that uses images stolen from the "Gallery" app (see below) as backgrounds.
2. The one with a black background, and the text moving around the screen.

Use the "no signal image" option to switch between those two.

Separately, there is a "Gallery" app which displays the images (with optional music) and no text.

You cannot have the "no signal" screen without text, because it's a warning screen design to tell you there's no incoming signal on the currently selected input. But you can follow the instructions (pressing the button on the remote to select another input). Or rely on the screensavers ("fireworks") that the apps have.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #18857 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had my 65C8 for a week now. I'm happy with it for the most part, but I notice most of the presets are too dark and blacks are crushed out in dark scenes. Sunny scenes look overcast like it's about to pour down rain. I've been playing with settings all week and looking up recommended settings, watching videos, etc.

Every recommended setting I've seen in a review results in a super-dark picture on my C8 with loss of detail. I'm wondering if I got a dud or if this is common or what people are going for? What are most here running their brightness and OLED light at?

I love the quality of the picture. Games look incredible. I just don't know why what other people seem to be running settings wise looks so dark to me.
post #18858 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRavus View Post
I've had my 65C8 for a week now. I'm happy with it for the most part, but I notice most of the presets are too dark and blacks are crushed out in dark scenes. Sunny scenes look overcast like it's about to pour down rain. I've been playing with settings all week and looking up recommended settings, watching videos, etc.

Every recommended setting I've seen in a review results in a super-dark picture on my C8 with loss of detail. I'm wondering if I got a dud or if this is common or what people are going for? What are most here running their brightness and OLED light at?

I love the quality of the picture. Games look incredible. I just don't know why what other people seem to be running settings wise looks so dark to me.
To be honest, aside from most people here, the common public is so used to bright picture/ video on their tv's that when setting TV's to the proper levels (not talking professional calibration) through the regular menu, most people swear the settings are wrong or the tv is bad.

There usually is nothing wrong, you just need to give your eyes time to adjust (actually your mind more time to adjust, lol). After a while you won't even notice.

Standard adjustments (again not pro calibration) settings should be around the following.

Contrast around 85
Brightness 50
Sharpness 0 to 10
Tint 0
Color 50 to 55
Color Temp W45 to 50

These settings may look dark but are around the values that they should be. In the end it's what you like ultimately.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
LCSeminole and calfcramp like this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #18859 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
To be honest, aside from most people here, the common public is so used to bright picture/ video on their tv's that when setting TV's to the proper levels (not talking professional calibration) through the regular menu, most people swear the settings are wrong or the tv is bad.

There usually is nothing wrong, you just need to give your eyes time to adjust (actually your mind more time to adjust, lol). After a while you won't even notice.

Standard adjustments (again not pro calibration) settings should be around the following.

Contrast around 85
Brightness 50
Sharpness 0 to 10
Tint 0
Color 50 to 55
Color Temp W45 to 50

These settings may look dark but are around the values that they should be. In the end it's what you like ultimately.

What about OLED light?

I agree it'll take some getting used to. I came from a smaller Samsung LED that's fairly bright.

It's the loss of detail that concerns me. If I jack up the brightness to the point where details show that were crushed out previously (such as wrinkles/folds in a black or dark blue shirt), then overall blacks aren't "perfect" like they should be. I set the gamma at 1.9 and that definitely brings out more details, but most seem to like 2.2 or higher. I'm wondering if others are seeing a loss of detail at those settings or just not noticing it.
post #18860 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What about OLED light?

I agree it'll take some getting used to. I came from a smaller Samsung LED that's fairly bright.

It's the loss of detail that concerns me. If I jack up the brightness to the point where details show that were crushed out previously (such as wrinkles/folds in a black or dark blue shirt), then overall blacks aren't "perfect" like they should be. I put the gamma at 1.9 that definitely brings out more details, but most seem to like 2.2 or higher. I'm just wondering if others are seeing a loss of detail at those settings or just not noticing it.
I have not noticed any crush on my set but I am also on the latest engineering firmware that came out but LG should be releasing a version to the public soon, should be 05.10.02 when it's released.

I have Oled light around 60...

I wouldn't worry, wait for the newest firmware to be released and update through the tv or download the firmware file and update through usb

mrtickleuk likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #18861 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
What about OLED light?

It's the loss of detail that concerns me. If I jack up the brightness to the point where details show that were crushed out previously (such as wrinkles/folds in a black or dark blue shirt), then overall blacks aren't "perfect" like they should be. I set the gamma at 1.9 and that definitely brings out more details, but most seem to like 2.2 or higher. I'm wondering if others are seeing a loss of detail at those settings or just not noticing it.
It’s also worth mentioning that your set probably has one of the firmware versions that inadvertently added some black crush. The good news is that LG seems to be rolling out a new firmware that fixes it. I couldn’t wait any longer and manually updated it yesterday and near black detail is so much better on 2.2 gamma.

There’s plenty of discussion in the thread about it if you want to learn more.

Edit: just realized jrocker already explained this sorry to both
post #18862 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTom- View Post
It’s also worth mentioning that your set probably has one of the firmware versions that inadvertently added some black crush. The good news is that LG seems to be rolling out a new firmware that fixes it. I couldn’t wait any longer and manually updated it yesterday and near black detail is so much better on 2.2 gamma.

There’s plenty of discussion in the thread about it if you want to learn more.

Edit: just realized jrocker already explained this sorry to both
Thanks both for the replies. I'll look into the manual update and see how it goes. It has the current firmware available to the public now.

I'm doing a 2 week torture test to make sure things are good since I got it at Best Buy with their horrible 15 day return window.
post #18863 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Where are people finding the latest C8 firmware? All I see on the LG site is 04.10.55 that was released in April.
post #18864 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Where are people finding the latest C8 firmware? All I see on the LG site is 04.10.55 that was released in April.
It's posted by me in this thread, maybe 2 or 3 pages back. It's the manual upgrade done through usb

post #18865 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
The newest beta firmware for the us model is 5.20.02 not 5.10.02 as you have in your post.

As for being stuck there, there is always that possiblity but so far all the years I have used the beta firware, when it was released officially, it was the same or higher then the beta numbers.

Curious if you know from having used 05.20.02 for a little while now, what changed from 05.20.00. ? I’m guessing something very minor ?

Emotiva RMC-1/XPR-5/XPA-7Gen3, AppleTV 4K
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2, Prime Elevation x 4
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4
post #18866 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
Curious if you know from having used 05.20.02 for a little while now, what changed from 05.20.00. ? I’m guessing something very minor ?
From what I know, it was a fix for the built in Google Assistant

post #18867 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
It's the Korean firmware update. It does work the same on u.s. model TV's with no issues. If the u.s. firmware is "higher" your tv will update again

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
post #18868 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
From what I know, it was a fix for the built in Google Assistant

I was mainly curious if it changed anything picture setting-wise. Since I don’t use the Google Assistant, I’ll be ignoring the 05.20.02 update that the Engineering mode is prompting me. I thought I’d changed it back to User mode so I was surprised to see it. Thanks again!!!

Emotiva RMC-1/XPR-5/XPA-7Gen3, AppleTV 4K
LG OLED65C8, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DP-UB820
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A, Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS Dual PB12-Plus x 2, Prime Elevation x 4
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RB-5II x 4
post #18869 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
I was mainly curious if it changed anything picture setting-wise. Since I don’t use the Google Assistant, I’ll be ignoring the 05.20.02 update that the Engineering mode is prompting me. I thought I’d changed it back to User mode so I was surprised to see it. Thanks again!!!
I updated because I use the Assistant and it wasn't working on 05.20.00 so I updated to 05.20.02 and then recently went and did some adjustments to my picture modes.

I based my settings with the spears & munsil UHD HDR 4K Disc

LCSeminole likes this.

post #18870 of 22872 Old 07-07-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
It's the Korean firmware update. It does work the same on u.s. model TV's with no issues. If the u.s. firmware is "higher" your tv will update again

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
As long as it's official I'll give it a try. I unzipped the "LG_DTV" folder to a formatted flash drive and it looks like just plug it into the TV...never done a manual update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page