2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79734Likes

post #1891 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 322
IMHO, and without haven't seen the 900f in person, (but I've read every review) I would 100% get the 930e. It's much brighter and the blacks are comparable to the 900f.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I can get the 55X930E for $1495 and the 55X900F for $1299. Decisions
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Anyone notice that logos are dimmed when you turn ON the logo dimming feature? I sure can't. Is there a super-long delay before logos are dimmed? as in minutes-long?

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608
post #1893 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Logo dimming does work but not when using the game preset or pc-mode, which is a shame because games would be the only case where I would wanna use it. It doesn't take long but the dimming happens gradually so it's hard to notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I noticed on some extreme off angles on certain colors my screen has weird blotches where the color is lighter. But as you come around to straight on they are not there. I have tested for it in content and cannot see anything except when full screen of same color. Is this normal? Cant find anything anywhere.
post #1895 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I noticed on some extreme off angles on certain colors my screen has weird blotches where the color is lighter. But as you come around to straight on they are not there. I have tested for it in content and cannot see anything except when full screen of same color. Is this normal? Cant find anything anywhere.
Yes this is normal. The anti-reflective coating is the general consensus.
post #1896 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Ok good to know that you so much!
post #1897 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
These TVs can benefit from better settings. I’ve been too busy with other things to post some. I’ll see if I can finally get it done this week.
Any chance you could share some settings?
post #1898 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6511 Post(s)
Liked: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
I have a 65" C8 and it's the best TV I've ever seen. I returned a z9d and demoed a Q9fn and this tv beat them both. I have a Sony 930e in my bedroom and I love that set also, especially for the price. The C8 is the better TV, but for your bedroom get the 900f or a 930e if you can still find one. Unless you have money to burn, you'll be fine with the Sony for what you'll use it for.
Most experts feel the same way you do to
ma1746 likes this.
post #1899 of 20463 Old 06-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Most experts feel the same way you do to
The Q9fn at first glance looked really good, but it's flaws developed over time. The C8 was the opposite, it gets better every single day and really blows me away now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #1900 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would someone be able to do me a huge favour and let me know, for a LG 65" C8, what the distance between the lower VESA mounting socket and base of the TV is (without the stand)?

As the VESA mounts are very low down on this TV I'm trying to judge whether the lowest possible mounting point on my current wall bracket will keep this TV at a suitable height.
Culpepper likes this.
post #1901 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I have had two 77 and they both make noise on darker scenes. The one i have now seems to be louder then my first. I had lg out to listen to the sound. The tech was going to replace the power supply but after i showed his my uniformity he thought i could do better and he put in for a full replacment. Im still waiting on my replacment but stock is low in canada right now. Ill let you guys knows how the new one sounds. I hope it quieter becasue it is very annoying.
Hi any news with your noise C8 77?

my local dealer will replace mine un the next few days, let's hope to get a quieter one with good uniformity and non dead pixel
post #1902 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked: 2995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenmist View Post
Would someone be able to do me a huge favour and let me know, for a LG 65" C8, what the distance between the lower VESA mounting socket and base of the TV is (without the stand)?

As the VESA mounts are very low down on this TV I'm trying to judge whether the lowest possible mounting point on my current wall bracket will keep this TV at a suitable height.
Roughly 4-1/2 inches.
Culpepper and TripStrip like this.
post #1903 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimir Saban View Post
I've been using C8, my first OLED, for two months now and and I'm curious:
Outside of different LG, Sony, Samsung etc. picture tech demos, I can't see many situations in real life of OLED's ability to turn off individual pixells. Of course, I do not count black bars above and below the main picture... Why is that? Is it in the way of how the films are produced, because in 95% of movies I watch, dark scenes are always greyish, not black, even when the scene "wants" to be pure black, like night sky. I know the settings here are very important, but no matter which mode I use, like isf DARK or technicolor EXPERT, rarely I see OLEDs best advantage used in practice. Can you give me an example of BluRay movie that use OLED to its fullest? I suppose some black and white film here would be the best example, like Logan, Sin City... but what about "normal" movie?
Netflix Lost in Space 1st scene of Episode 1. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with the tentacle monster and dancing baby Groot.

Do not try to watch it on Dolby Vision though. There is a known issue with raised blacks.

Be sure to select "Home mode" and turn off Power Saving. The 2018 LG OLED Calibration thread is a good place to start for settings.
2018 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...rice-talk.html
post #1904 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by seffys View Post
Hi any news with your noise C8 77?

my local dealer will replace mine un the next few days, let's hope to get a quieter one with good uniformity and non dead pixel
Im still waiting to here back from lg about when my replacment is coming. I should here somthing this week. Let me know how your replacment goes. Do yourself a favor and dont go looking for deadpixels Im sure you will most likley find one.

Last edited by Adamd; 06-03-2018 at 08:35 AM.
post #1905 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Roughly 4-1/2 inches.
Thanks, that's really appreciated. Looks like my current wall bracket will just about reach low enough
post #1906 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMrAx View Post
Is PC mode still the way to go for calibrating for games? It's extremely annoying that game mode has the color gamut locked to Wide.

Also once the AutoCal bugs are fixed could using AutoCal in Game mode correct for the color gamut being locked?
This was posted on the calibration forum but didn't get an answer, probably because that forum is for a very technical level discussion. But I would like to know the answer to this to since LG's game mode has limited settings and jacked up settings.
post #1907 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Logo dimming does work but not when using the game preset or pc-mode, which is a shame because games would be the only case where I would wanna use it. It doesn't take long but the dimming happens gradually so it's hard to notice.
What? What was LG thinking...those are the two modes it's needed the most? I guess it's useful for CNN and the like...but...come on LG.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #1908 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This does not make sense then...from the 2018 owners manuals:

Examples of Images that may Cause
Image Retention

•  Still images or fixed images containing certain information
that are displayed uninterrupted on the screen, such as channel
numbers, station logos, program titles, news or movie subtitles,
and headlines.
•  Fixed menu or icons for video game consoles or broadcasting
set-top boxes.
•  Black bars shown on the left, right, top, or bottom of the screen,
such as in images with a 4:3 or 21:9 ratio.

Recommended Measures for
Preventing Image Retention

•  Avoid watching a video displaying an image as listed above for
extended periods of time.
•  Adjust your TV settings as below when turning on a video
exhibiting an image as listed above for extended periods of time.

- Picture Picture Mode Settings Picture Mode APS
- Picture Picture Mode Settings OLED LIGHT Adjust
to lower value
- Picture OLED Panel Settings Logo Luminance
Adjustment High

•  Turn off the menu bar of an external device, such as a set-top
box, to prevent long-term display of the menu bar of such device.
(Please refer to the manual of the applicable external device for
instructions.)
•  Adjust the settings as below when watching a video constantly
showing black bars on the left, right, top or bottom, in order to
remove the black bars.
- Picture Aspect Ratio Settings Aspect Ratio
Vertical Zoom or All-Direction Zoom

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 06-03-2018 at 09:42 AM.
post #1909 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3706
"Let it go, let it go."
Cam1977 likes this.
post #1910 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
"Let it go, let it go."
Lol..many people who game and are concerned about BI...and want an Oled, have gone with the 2018 models over the on sale 2017's... based on the info in the owner's manual regarding the logo dimming high option offering protection while gaming....

Wonder why no one noticed this, game mode logo dimming does not work, before now.
dave1812dave likes this.

post #1911 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Lol..many people who game and are concerned about BI...and want an Oled, have gone with the 2018 models over the on sale 2017's... based on the info in the owner's manual regarding the logo dimming high option offering protection while gaming....

Wonder why no one noticed this, game mode logo dimming does not work, before now.
Perhaps LG will revisit that and give the dimming option for Game Mode in an update.
Kenbar likes this.

LG OLED55B7 -LG OLED65C8 - Marantz NR1608
post #1912 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have been having constant problems with the Magic Remote. The pointer cursor keeps malfunctioning. Already had a replacement remote sent and this one is doing the same thing. I unregister/registerthe remote multiple times, but the problem keeps coming back. The only thing that seems to fix it is if I turn the tv off and don’t use it for 5-8 hours. Unplugging the tv doesn’t help, removing batteries doesn’t help, and aside from requesting new remotes every few weeks, I can’t find a fix anywhere.
post #1913 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LG user manual woes

I'm about to buy the LG OLED 55E8P very soon and wanted to get a good look at the user manual. I can't believe what I saw on the LG site. The manual isn't very helpful at all. There are diagrams on how to put on the stand, hook it up to various equipment, some rather odd and hard to decipher dimensions data and then the bulk of the document concerns remote control codes and external device setup. Where is info on the various features, menus, settings and selections? This is disgraceful.

Before deciding on what will be my first LG (I'm a LONG time Sony owner) I looked at the A8F manual from Sony. There is actually more than one document over there and they are MUCH more informative.

I don't get this. Is this an example of how LG treats its customers? I've read in more than one forum that the settings menus and navigation is poorly laid out and confusing on these panels. A well laid out manual might have mitigated that. Very sad...

Does anyone have detailed data on the menus - how they are structured (nested directories, settings/selections, etc.)? I don't want to have to figure the TV strictly by wading through onscreen controls only. This is very poor in my view - not enough to kill the deal for me but a real grade of (F) in this area.
post #1914 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post
I'm about to buy the LG OLED 55E8P very soon and wanted to get a good look at the user manual. I can't believe what I saw on the LG site. The manual isn't very helpful at all. There are diagrams on how to put on the stand, hook it up to various equipment, some rather odd and hard to decipher dimensions data and then the bulk of the document concerns remote control codes and external device setup. Where is info on the various features, menus, settings and selections? This is disgraceful.

Before deciding on what will be my first LG (I'm a LONG time Sony owner) I looked at the A8F manual from Sony. There is actually more than one document over there and they are MUCH more informative.

I don't get this. Is this an example of how LG treats its customers? I've read in more than one forum that the settings menus and navigation is poorly laid out and confusing on these panels. A well laid out manual might have mitigated that. Very sad...

Does anyone have detailed data on the menus - how they are structured (nested directories, settings/selections, etc.)? I don't want to have to figure the TV strictly by wading through onscreen controls only. This is very poor in my view - not enough to kill the deal for me but a real grade of (F) in this area.

Webos menus are laid out very well... im not sure who you have been talking to about that. I have had two sonys running android tv and webOS is so much better. There not even in the same league.
post #1915 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post
Have been having constant problems with the Magic Remote. The pointer cursor keeps malfunctioning. Already had a replacement remote sent and this one is doing the same thing. I unregister/registerthe remote multiple times, but the problem keeps coming back. The only thing that seems to fix it is if I turn the tv off and don’t use it for 5-8 hours. Unplugging the tv doesn’t help, removing batteries doesn’t help, and aside from requesting new remotes every few weeks, I can’t find a fix anywhere.
Maybe its a issue with the tv itself.
dave1812dave likes this.
post #1916 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post
You should try the HTML manual. You can download it from here: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...5C8PUA#manuals
It's not the Owner's Manual (PDF), it's the ZIP User Guide, English, Spanish 50,808K file: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile...1HHOrcIq1QrAng
nelamvr6 likes this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #1917 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post
From the 2018 owners manual:

Cannot control the TV with the remote control.
•  Check if anything such as tape has been placed over the receiver.
•  Check if there is any obstacle between the product and the remote
control.
•  Replace the batteries with new fresh ones.
No image display and no sound is produced.
•  Check if the product is turned on.
•  Check if the power cord is connected to a wall outlet.
•  Check if there is a problem in the wall outlet by connecting other
products.
The TV turns off suddenly.
•  Check the power control settings. The power supply may be
interrupted.
•  Check if the auto-off function is activated in the settings menu.
•  If there is no signal while the TV is on, the TV will turn off
automatically after 15 minutes of inactivity.
sfernando likes this.

post #1918 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 3578
Couldn't resist, just picked up the 65C8 to replace the E6 that's going to my son!
post #1919 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3706
^Yearly upgrades going on 3 years, eh? No side upgrades for me again, unless guaranteed to get better uniformity. Even then, without 3D, I'm much more likely to wait for the 88" to reach today's 77" prices (~2025 perhaps).
Cam1977 likes this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 06-03-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #1920 of 20463 Old 06-03-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 3578
^lol yeah, I was not going to, but I needed a replacement for the e6, now my c7 goes to the living room and the c8 to the cave...but no upgrades next year..according the wife!
Gillietalls and joelslevy21 like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 06-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page