2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 643 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80769Likes

post #19261 of 21680 Old 07-17-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I installed it Cam. I've seen no ill effects and I still had .15 in mine. It still didnt fix the slow change when changing color temp from warm 2 etc but I figure that will never be fixed on my set. And yes I've tried the factory reset already.
So I'm still on .15, been thinking of moving up to .03 what are some of the changes other than them during the black crush?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19262 of 21680 Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajresendez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I installed it Cam. I've seen no ill effects and I still had .15 in mine. It still didnt fix the slow change when changing color temp from warm 2 etc but I figure that will never be fixed on my set. And yes I've tried the factory reset already.
So I'm still on .15, been thinking of moving up to .03 what are some of the changes other than them during the black crush?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Honestly I haven't noticed much. Supposedly it fixed the chroma overshoot issue. I may have seen it a few times but honestly I never thought it was an issue overall. I still think the pq looks amazing.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #19263 of 21680 Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
It's you, it's not strange, updates rarely land on the website and the OTA servers at same time. . I remember Samsung was the same, sometimes the two events were more than a month apart!
To me anything that isn't logical is strange. If something isn't tested enough to be released to the public then why put it out there for the public at all? And if it is ready to go to the public why not put it out there so every user in the intended region can easily download it, which would be on their tv. Is there something else I'm missing that is making it 'just me' other than that is just the way Samsung and LG has done it.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19264 of 21680 Old 07-17-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Thanx to @Viking 29 for the help with the firmware install. Was brave and downloaded .03 from the korean site with no issues. So far their is a bit of improvement but need some time.
post #19265 of 21680 Old 07-17-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Make sure you unzip the file to a folder on the flash drive called LG_DTV

The folder should only have the actual unzipped file in it

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Thanx I had to get out of my own way...but got it done!
post #19266 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Thanx to @Viking 29 for the help with the firmware install. Was brave and downloaded .03 from the korean site with no issues. So far their is a bit of improvement but need some time.
Anytime my bro!
calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.
post #19267 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
To me anything that isn't logical is strange. If something isn't tested enough to be released to the public then why put it out there for the public at all? And if it is ready to go to the public why not put it out there so every user in the intended region can easily download it, which would be on their tv. Is there something else I'm missing that is making it 'just me' other than that is just the way Samsung and LG has done it.
This subject has already been beaten to death in this thread.
smitty and C8UB820 like this.
post #19268 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by J__Chris View Post
I think someone a few pages ago said that the file name had to be changed/capitalized....can't remember.

I had the same difficulty/issue. The folder name has to be full caps LG_DTV it will not work if it's lowercase. It is super easy and fast once it starts to update and the results will make you fall back in love with your TV. I waited and waited and was so jealous of those who did their updates via engineer mode. But I, too, wasn't willing to risk it. Once I learned this release was official I was ready to update. Do it!! I am so happy to not be stressed every day wondering if the update is coming. It is fantastic to have black crush improved. I love my C8 77" now. It truly is the most accurate looking picture I've ever seen out of the box. I can't wait for October when Chad B comes to my neck of the woods and gives it a proper calibration. Just moved to a new house so I am planning to get a 55" version for our downstairs living room. I'll be having that one calibrated, too!
djoberg likes this.

Last edited by jcavila; 07-18-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #19269 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
If you want to see how great the LG C8 OLED can look, Purchase the 4K Blu-Ray disc of Shazam . It looks gorgeous in 4K and in Dolby Vision.
Ralph Potts gave it a 100 score here on AVS for picture quality. Stunning PQ.
I second this....watched it last night and the picture is stunning!
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #19270 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I had already updated to 05.10.02 via Mr. Rocker. I didn't think there would be much advantage to updating to 05.10.03, I almost didn't do it. I am Glad I did, I like this update the best in a long time. Either my last update wasn't installed right or this is a real good change. I even went to Automatic Updates and shut it OFF. I think this one is worth the effort.
Thank You JRocker23 for this.
djoberg, Jrocker23 and Clukyman like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #19271 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6674 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
Thanks to the help of another forum member, I have the Korean update ready to go but for some reason I’m a little hesitant to do it. I wish they would just roll this out to everyone. It’s crazy how slow they have been. I got this tv back in April and have never had proper gamma
You are hesitant because you do not want to mess up your TV
Kurolicious likes this.
post #19272 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Seems like these sets still provide the premium Dolby Vision experience along with the 9 series. I watched Vincent's review of the Sony A9G and he clearly pointed out the Sony still looking dimmer when playing DV content, even saying he prefers watching DV content in regular HDR10 on the Sony, yikes.

Not sure why Sony keeps using that DV profile, must be some drama behind the scenes.
Because they have to. Sony did NOT put a Dolby chip in their TVs, but rather implemented it in software on their own video processor. LG uses Dolby's chip to do the processing of DV. The display led profile requires more processing that the Dolby chip is designed to do, but Sony's chip isn't suitable for. The player led has more processing done on the source side (merging the DV into the HDR signal to generate a single video signal) that is less effort for the display to process and display, which Sony could do on their video chip. The player led profile (also called low latency profile) also has less lag on the display as a result, so for any video game that wanted to do DV it would have to (or at least want to) use that profile.

I don't believe there should be any reason they should look different unless there is a bug somewhere. It ought to be easy enough to test given LG TVs support both profiles so if you have a player that lets you switch you should be able to see if it makes any difference. The difference is more likely something either LG or Sony (or both) chose to do. Or there are still more DV bugs to be solved. There have been quite a few so far after all.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #19273 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
I had already updated to 05.10.02 via Mr. Rocker. I didn't think there would be much advantage to updating to 05.10.03, I almost didn't do it. I am Glad I did, I like this update the best in a long time. Either my last update wasn't installed right or this is a real good change. I even went to Automatic Updates and shut it OFF. I think this one is worth the effort.
Welcome..

calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #19274 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
What are the improvements you noticed from previous fw to .02 to .03?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
post #19275 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post

.02 to .03 is just a Google Assistant fix

Cam1977 likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #19276 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldventure View Post

.02 to .03 is just a Google Assistant fix

I feel like they fixed wifi too.
4.10.55 - upon boot (quickstart disabled) would take several minutes to connect to WiFi unless I forced the connection.
5.10.02 - immediate wifi connection on boot, but had trouble staying on 5G band.
5.10.03 - immediate wifi connection and no issues with 5G.

I believe another member said with 5.10.02 the black level was changing back to auto after reboot. I can't speak to that though.
post #19277 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I thought the Google Assistant Fix was all there was to .03 also and I almost didn't update cause I don't care about Google Assistant.There a good chance I finally got a good install or there's more to this than they are letting on.
All I know is mine Looks better in Black Shades and is not as ragged on the Color edges, it just more detailed. Remember on Firmware updates they may fix something that they broke in the last or previous Update and that don't make the list of improvements.
Now to my real fight with these displays MOTION. I wish I could find a setting that would maintain detail on movement.
I am talking about when looking at Faces. If they turn their head it looses detail until they become static again. Clothing if they are still you can see fabric weave clearly, but when they move its smudgy.
My Sony or Samsungs don't do this and I don't think this level of display should either.
Maybe I am just too sensitive to motion.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee

Last edited by Glenee; 07-18-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #19278 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpyo012 View Post
I feel like they fixed wifi too.
5.10.02 - immediate wifi connection on boot, but had trouble staying on 5G band.
5.10.03 - immediate wifi connection and no issues with 5G.
Oh, thanks. I had to create a unique SSID on the closest 5Ghz radio just for the TV after the update to .02 but I wasn't sure it was the TV firmware and I wasn't feeling like testing .03 (messing with my WiFi config so soon again).

Quote:
There a good chance I finally got a good install or there's more to this than they are letting on.
All I know is mine Looks better in Black Shades and is not as ragged on the Color edges, it just more detailed. Remember on Firmware updates they may fix something that they broke in the last or previous Update and that don't make the list of improvements.
Yeah, these public changelogs are never the full list of every single intended changes (let alone the unintended ones).
I didn't have the time to play with the i1d3 during the last few weeks but simply judging by the naked eye I also felt like there was some subtle (subjectively positive) change in the picture quality around the dark tones when going from .02 to .03 (I never calibrated .02 with CalMAN and the .03 is also still running with the factory LUTs but my unit always seemed to have a very accurate factory calibration before the tone-response altering first "macroblock fix", so I am not in a rush now that the "black crush" is rectified).

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list

Last edited by janos666; 07-18-2019 at 10:59 AM.
post #19279 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Hmmm, maybe I'll have to go back and revisit Original vs 16:9 with Just Scan enabled. I don't ever recall seeing a difference between the two or any stretching in the picture, but that was back in October when I first got the C8.
Find a scene with an object like a lamp partially visible in a far right or left corner of the screen, switch between the options & you will more or less of the object, more is better. Overscan is left over from the analog days when vacuum tubes & CRT were the thing, no need for that today but TV makers continue to ship sets with overscan on.
post #19280 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 330
^^ What are vacuum tubes and CRT? Can we start to underscan now?

All jokes aside I think they do overscan like the manufacturers did for CD players, with 3-4 or 20 times oversampling (Nyquist). Okay now let's start with who is Nyquist!
rdgcss likes this.
post #19281 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Find a scene with an object like a lamp partially visible in a far right or left corner of the screen, switch between the options & you will more or less of the object, more is better. Overscan is left over from the analog days when vacuum tubes & CRT were the thing, no need for that today but TV makers continue to ship sets with overscan on.
Just Scan, at least with the older LG LCD that I have downstairs was intended for 1:1 pixel matching so that you got everyone that was being broadcast. More noticeable with OTA than cable. Sometimes you would see a single line of pixels at the top or bottom of the panel where there was no data being transmitted. However, that only happened on occasion, and usually on commercials. The idea was to minimize "stretching" in order to fill the screen. On the OLED, I haven't really messes around with Original, 16:9, and Just Scan enabled/disabled, I just used my LCD settings for that and never noticed that I might be "missing" something. Time to play I guess

I watch a fair amount of MeTV (I like my old Westerns like Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive, etc ) so letter boxing doesn't bother me. With Just Scan and 16:9 I get everything that there is to see with no distortion or having to mess with the settings for the broadcast material.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 07-18-2019 at 02:04 PM.
post #19282 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Make sure you unzip the file to a folder on the flash drive called LG_DTV

The folder should only have the actual unzipped file in it

Thank you for all of your instructions. I want to make sure I am putting it on the flash drive correctly.
When I download it to my computer and click on the file lower case "lg-dtv" it changes to starfish-atscsecure...epk and downloads onto my computer. I renamed that download to LG-DTV and put transferred it to a flash drive. Did I do it correctly and is it ready to be plugged into the TV?

Thanks,
PG55

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #19283 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Thank you for all of your instructions. I want to make sure I am putting it on the flash drive correctly.

When I download it to my computer and click on the file lower case "lg-dtv" it changes to starfish-atscsecure...epk and downloads onto my computer. I renamed that download to LG-DTV and put transferred it to a flash drive. Did I do it correctly and is it ready to be plugged into the TV?

Thanks,

PG55
You don't rename the file you unzipped

Just make a folder called LG_DTV (all caps) on the flash drive then put the starfish file in the folder you made

calfcramp, Cam1977 and PG55 like this.

post #19284 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Just Scan, at least with the older LG LCD that I have downstairs was intended for 1:1 pixel matching so that you got everyone that was being broadcast. More noticeable with OTA than cable. Sometimes you would see a single line of pixels at the top or bottom of the panel where there was no data being transmitted. However, that only happened on occasion, and usually on commercials. The idea was to minimize "stretching" in order to fill the screen. On the OLED, I haven't really messes around with Original, 16:9, and Just Scan enabled/disabled, I just used my LCD settings for that and never noticed that I might be "missing" something. Time to play I guess

I watch a fair amount of MeTV (I like my old Westerns like Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive, etc ) so letter boxing doesn't bother me. With Just Scan and 16:9 I get everything that there is to see with no distortion or having to mess with the settings for the broadcast material.
Supposedly the commercials with lines were shot on film & then converted to digital. Whoever did the conversion didn’t get things centered correctly.
Wanted Dead or Alive & Have Gun Will Travel = some of the best TV shows ever made !!!
post #19285 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
Supposedly the commercials with lines were shot on film & then converted to digital. Whoever did the conversion didn’t get things centered correctly.
Wanted Dead or Alive & Have Gun Will Travel = some of the best TV shows ever made !!!
The "empty data" lines were mostly on commercials but did appear at times on some network programming. Makes no difference to me.

Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Bonanza, Wanted Dead or Alive, The Rifleman, Rawhide, and even Wagon Train are afternoon staples for me if I'm home. Given the source and material, they look really good on the 65 C8.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #19286 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
If you want to see how great the LG C8 OLED can look, Purchase the 4K Blu-Ray disc of Shazam . It looks gorgeous in 4K and in Dolby Vision.
Ralph Potts gave it a 100 score here on AVS for picture quality. Stunning PQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
I second this....watched it last night and the picture is stunning!
I just picked this up at Best Buy this afternoon and will be watching it on Friday or Saturday. The movie itself had mixed reviews (how did you guys like it?) but Ralph's scores on the PQ/AQ made it a no-brainer for me!
Bigmoviefan likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #19287 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I just picked this up at Best Buy this afternoon and will be watching it on Friday or Saturday. The movie itself had mixed reviews (how did you guys like it?) but Ralph's scores on the PQ/AQ made it a no-brainer for me!
My wife and I thought it was very funny and entertaining!
post #19288 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
My wife and I liked the movie djoberg.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/shazam
djoberg likes this.
post #19289 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Well, I finally (somewhat reluctantly) took the plunge and downloaded FW 05.10.03 from the Korean website. I was very thankful for being able to use WinZip in this process. I had tried this yesterday but I only had one OLD Flashdrive laying around that lacked the space for the download. So, when I picked up a couple of UHD Blu-rays today at Best Buy I also grabbed a few SanDisk Flashdrives.

In open disclosure, it took me awhile to figure some things out but once the unzipped file was downloaded to the Flashdrive the actual update on my display only took a few minutes. I do have some other things to attend to but once I finish them I will definitely be checking out the improvements. I still have some pretty bad scenes (with terrible "black crush") recorded to use as a measuring stick.

One more thing. I had asked everyone who had done the FW Update if you did a factory reset on your Technicolor Expert Picture Mode or did it automatically default to the original settings with the update. I'd love to hear from you on that.
Bigmoviefan likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #19290 of 21680 Old 07-18-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Well, I finally (somewhat reluctantly) took the plunge and downloaded FW 05.10.03 from the Korean website. I was very thankful for being able to use WinZip in this process. I had tried this yesterday but I only had one OLD Flashdrive laying around that lacked the space for the download. So, when I picked up a couple of UHD Blu-rays today at Best Buy I also grabbed a few SanDisk Flashdrives.

In open disclosure, it took me awhile to figure some things out but once the unzipped file was downloaded to the Flashdrive the actual update on my display only took a few minutes. I do have some other things to attend to but once I finish them I will definitely be checking out the improvements. I still have some pretty bad scenes (with terrible "black crush") recorded to use as a measuring stick.

One more thing. I had asked everyone who had done the FW Update if you did a factory reset on your Technicolor Expert Picture Mode or did it automatically default to the original settings with the update. I'd love to hear from you on that.
When I updated to .05.20.00 I did do a factory reset also. So I needed to adjust all settings but I have played around with the set so much I have all my settings for all inputs stored in my memory bank. I use Technicolor on all inputs for SDR and HDR.

On the subject of picture modes I wonder if LG has reached out to Technicolor to have them implement a new “calibration” based on the changes in low end gamma? Meaning that maybe they reached out to them when .31 came out and needed to do so again for the latest firmware. Also they could be adjusting the ISF modes. Possible additional reason why things are taking so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page