2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 645 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80233Likes

post #19321 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^

If I lived where a professional calibrator like D-Nice, Chad B or Jeff Meyer (Sp. ?) toured, I would probably still have the calibration done. Again, I didn't have it done 10 years ago because it would have been nearly $700. I believe it's more like $400 if you live in an area where the calibrators tour. Even though the "out of the box" settings are pretty good in today's displays, I'm one who would love ALL SETTINGS dialed in to as near to perfection as possible.

I would also have my 9.2 channel sound system calibrated too if I could, but there are only a few calibrators who do both.
I'm in the SF Bay Area and the big known Calibrator around here is Robert Busch who seems highly recommended. I already spoke with him and got a tentative date set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19322 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
1. Do calibrators do anything to the other devices in my system, such as my AVR or 4K player?
2. Most importantly to her since this little hobby of mine is so expensive, After they calibrate the tv, if I later replace my Blu-Ray player or AVR, do I need another calibration?
1: As I indicated, it's not mandatory, so it depends on the person.
I am personally willing to help with literally anything (within reason) while I am there and have the time but the next scheduled appointment (if any) always has priority over these secondary things. The only mandatory step is making sure the TV was calibrated properly.
For me, the final evaluation usually includes looking at some content through the user's source device(s) which includes making sure those source devices are configured properly. However, it's not really my problem unless we specifically included similar extra terms in the unwritten "contract".
So, I suggest you talk about this with the person of your choice in advance. They will probably agree to make this a mandatory step, probably at no extra charge (or very minimal fixed tip on top).
2: Generally no. I personally never use the client's source device(s) for the calibration (ever since this was made possible for me). When somebody asks me to do so I explain my reasons and I simply refuse if they insist (no matter what, they could offer extra, I don't care). And even then this shouldn't matter unless your source devices are faulty in some sense (for example they have software bugs which disturb the image quality).
calfcramp likes this.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #19323 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
B8 Owners' Thread + Issues with my TV

Hello All,

I picked up a new B8 for $999 at Frys yesterday and surprised there is no B8 owners' thread? If someone has a link please PM me. Thanks.

Anyways, I noticed a few issues with my set that I'm hoping would be similar in the C-E lineup. Would appreciate if you could answer:

1. I could not create an account under the Settings -> General -> Account Information menu. It gives an error about the 'terms of service'. Could not create it on the lgappstv.com site either. Has anyone run into this?

2. There is a somewhat soft 'clicking' sound a few seconds after turning off the TV. I have quick start turned on. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. When watching live over-the-air TV I noticed the picture flashed to black and white for just a second and went back to normal. I've never seen this on a broadcast before on another TV. Normal?

Would appreciate a quick reply as it would help me to decide if I should keep this unit or exchange it out for another one.
Other than these issues I am very happy with it.

Also, is it worth getting an extended warranty? Most don't cover burn-in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19324 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post
Hello All,

I picked up a new B8 for $999 at Frys yesterday and surprised there is no B8 owners' thread? If someone has a link please PM me. Thanks.

Anyways, I noticed a few issues with my set that I'm hoping would be similar in the C-E lineup. Would appreciate if you could answer:

1. I could not create an account under the Settings -> General -> Account Information menu. It gives an error about the 'terms of service'. Could not create it on the lgappstv.com site either. Has anyone run into this?

2. There is a somewhat soft 'clicking' sound a few seconds after turning off the TV. I have quick start turned on. Has anyone else experienced this?

3. When watching live over-the-air TV I noticed the picture flashed to black and white for just a second and went back to normal. I've never seen this on a broadcast before on another TV. Normal?

Would appreciate a quick reply as it would help me to decide if I should keep this unit or exchange it out for another one.

Other than these issues I am very happy with it.

Also, is it worth getting an extended warranty? Most don't cover burn-in.
I can't really answer most of your questions unfortunately. The B8 uses a different chipset then the other models.

I usually do a hard (factory) reset when I first get a new TV, that usually will iron out any kinks the tv might be having.

Just to into the menu under general and do a reset then see if you still have any issues.

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Glenee and calfcramp like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #19325 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 04:51 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
I’d like to ask anyone else who has a C8 and had it calibrated. Do you feel if was worth it?

yes
calfcramp likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #19326 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:20 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^^^

If I lived where a professional calibrator like D-Nice, Chad B or Jeff Meyer (Sp. ?) toured, I would probably still have the calibration done. Again, I didn't have it done 10 years ago because it would have been nearly $700. I believe it's more like $400 if you live in an area where the calibrators tour. Even though the "out of the box" settings are pretty good in today's displays, I'm one who would love ALL SETTINGS dialed in to as near to perfection as possible.

I would also have my 9.2 channel sound system calibrated too if I could, but there are only a few calibrators who do both.
You really should Google Jeff Meier's AccuCal website. He sounds like what you need. He lives in Missouri centrally located for his scheduled touring locations. I'm sure he covers your area. He does not fly any longer. Only drives with his wife to tour sites. She does not accompany him to the clients' home but instead sight sees or shops while he works. He schedules only one client a day so he can spend all the time necessary to get a perfect tv calibration and/or audio calibration for the HT accomplished.

He plans to retire in another two years and work before then with another well known calibrator I won't name here to improve that person's skills and move him away from Calman Auto-Cal dependency.

The last thing I said to Jeff as he was walking out my door was see you in about 2 years and he laughed. He said the 2 year re-tune is something of a myth started by some never-satisfied OCD person. Jeff said it is very seldom necessary. One, because today's technology sets do not deteriorate as quickly as rumored and two, most people replace their sets with newer tech sets before they might degrade any way. He said I'm good to go for about 10 years but will pass his client list on to the other calibrator he hopes to also pass on his expertise.

Jeff uses only top line equipment and his own proprietary software to do strictly manual calibrations. His price is very reasonable and I was so happy with the results I even generously tipped him for his service to treat he and his wife to something nice with dinner.
calfcramp, dreaux and Cam1977 like this.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 07-21-2019 at 12:10 AM.
post #19327 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 2060
^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks RBO! I truly appreciate it!!

I will indeed check out his touring schedule. That said, David Abrams toured "in my area too," but by this he meant "Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN." I am 3-3.5 hours away from Minneapolis straight Northwest on I-94. Mr. Abrams said that was too far away to drive there, do a calibration, and then head back to Minneapolis. So, he figured he was actually losing a whole day of doing calibrations with that much driving time. And he would have to rent a room at a motel too. He did say if I could drum up enough customers for him to do 2-3 more calibrations where I live he would lower his price. Fat chance of that in a city with only 14,000 people who know little or nothing about high end displays, calibrations, etc.
Cam1977 likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #19328 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just visited Jeff's website (AccuCal) and he does NOT tour in Minnesota. I would have loved to have Jeff do both a video/audio calibration. His prices were very reasonable, all things considered.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #19329 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I tried to set up a calibration last year but after a few responses I never heard from said person again. Not even a I'm not interested, can't make it, or go screw yourself! If that's the kind of treatment we get for trying to get a top flight calibrator then I guess I'm glad it never materialized. Honestly my set looks rather great without one. I do wonder how much better it can get of course.
calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.
post #19330 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the record, I am very satisfied with my PQ/AQ right now. I have never owned a display that looked this good "out of the box" (though my Pioneer KURO Elite came close with its "Pure Mode"...very NATURAL-LOOKING with excellent gray scale and spot on flesh tones). Audio-wise, my Denon 4300 AVR has Audyssey XT32 calibration and it did a wonderful job...I only had to do a bit of tweaking by raising the subs a few decibels to satisfy the basshead (Me!!) that listens to the system 100% of the time.

Having said that, I meant it when I said I would get a PQ/AQ calibration, for if there's one thing I've learned in the many years of being a Home Theater enthusiast, it's that "there's always room for improvement."

post #19331 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
^how are you liking the .03 update?
post #19332 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
You asking me Cam? If so I like it so far!
Cam1977 likes this.
post #19333 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^Oh yeah thats right lol!
post #19334 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would you believe I've been so busy watching UHD Blu-rays that I haven't done the proper "testing" of SDR material with black crush? I'm about ready to slip another UHD/HDR Blu-ray in (A Quiet Place) so maybe I'll get around to it tomorrow night.

I do feel relieved though that I was able to do an OFFICIAL RELEASE, even though it came from the Korean website and had to installed via a USB Flash-drive.

Last edited by djoberg; 07-20-2019 at 07:15 PM.
post #19335 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Would you believe I've been so busy watching UHD Blu-rays that I haven't done the proper "testing" of SDR material with black crush? I'm about ready to slip another UHD/HDR Blu-ray in (A Quiet Place so maybe I'll get around to it tomorrow night.

I do feel relieved though that I was able to do an OFFICIAL RELEASE, even though it came from the Korean website and had to installed via a USB Flash-drive.
I feel relieved that I can hook my TV up to the internet without my in laws installing an update against my will!
djoberg and Cam1977 like this.
post #19336 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would you believe I've been so busy watching UHD Blu-rays that I haven't done the proper "testing" of SDR material with black crush? I'm about ready to slip another UHD/HDR Blu-ray in (A Quiet Place so maybe I'll get around to it tomorrow night.

Ah dont blame you...and I feel the same about the firmware as well.
djoberg likes this.
post #19337 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 117
.03 hasn’t come across the air officially in the US right? What about thru Engineering? Are engineering ones ever final? I can’t remember.
post #19338 of 21069 Old 07-20-2019, 11:42 PM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just visited Jeff's website (AccuCal) and he does NOT tour in Minnesota. I would have loved to have Jeff do both a video/audio calibration. His prices were very reasonable, all things considered.

Sorry to have raised your hopes a bit. Email him anyway. Maybe tempt him with a tease for the wife of nearby sights like the Paul Bunyan statue outside Fargo.

Russ (another one)

Last edited by RBO; 07-21-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #19339 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
am i missing something obvious about how to get the firmware to work?

i've tried two different usb sticks, both formatted to NTFS, both completely blank other than an LG_DTV folder with the firmware unzipped inside. i have tried putting them in while the tv is on, and putting them in while it's on standby and turning it on.

i don't see how it could matter, but this is an australian tv.

thanks!
post #19340 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked: 6965
Quote:
.03 hasn’t come across the air officially in the US right?
Correct.

Quote:
What about thru Engineering? Are engineering ones ever final? I can’t remember.
Engineering firmwares are for LG's engineers to test, they are not intended for the public, and they are definitely not final! The clue is in the word "Engineering", and having to have an engineer's special service remote to get into the engineer's service menu, past a password, to turn on that mode.

After all of the testing, the very last one in the sequence is moved to the public stream, and re-released as a public release. These later public versions can be installed via USB. The original test engineering ones (even if you have the file) normally cannot be installed using USB, the file format is different. So you might say that one, and only that one, was "final". But all the others before it, are not. And obviously, since these are internal LG tests, LG doesn't release public notices saying which is which.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetiboy View Post

i've tried two different usb sticks, both formatted to NTFS, both completely blank other than an LG_DTV folder with the firmware unzipped inside. i have tried putting them in while the tv is on, and putting them in while it's on standby and turning it on.

thanks!
It matters massively, and the fact that your TV is in a different market is fundamental.

The TV will not install a firmware which is intended for a different chassis. You're lucky it checks, otherwise you could have easily been posting today complaining about a bricked TV, and complaining that it let you do it

America/South Korea share the same chassis.
European models are a different chassis.
Australian models are probably a 3rd different chassis too.

HTH
calfcramp and Kurolicious like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-21-2019 at 03:44 AM.
post #19341 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
ahem, well there you go thanks for the reply!
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
post #19342 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 3150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Sorry to have raised your hopes a bit. Email him anyway. Maybe tempt him with a tease for the wife of nearby sights like the Paul Bunyan statue outside Fargo.
Brainerd, MN are not Fargo, ND. Too many movies
mrtickleuk likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #19343 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Brainerd, MN are not Fargo, ND. Too many movies
I was about to enlighten RBO as to the Paul Bunyan statue being in Brainerd, not Fargo, and then I saw smurraybhm's post. As far as I know, the opening "bar scene" was the only scene that took place in Fargo. Most of the movie took place in Brainerd. So why call it Fargo?

post #19344 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked: 6965
Quote:
I was about to enlighten RBO as to the Paul Bunyan statue being in Brainerd, not Fargo, and then I saw smurraybhm's post. As far as I know, the opening "bar scene" was the only scene that took place in Fargo. Most of the movie took place in Brainerd. So why call it Fargo?
Because he went to Fargo to "do the deal". But I'm sure he said 8:30?
Brilliant, brilliant movie. Kinda funny-lookin'.
djoberg likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #19345 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 6568
Quote:

1. Do they setup and optmize your blu-ray player too? I mean things like setting the output to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4? Depends on the calibrator, make sure you get everything done you want done

2. Do they need access to the back of the TV? I am guessing yes and I just want to be prepared for this because my TV is on a wall. I don't know how hard it will be to them to access a port or whatever. Yes

3. My big question for those who have had your TV pro calibrated. What do you do after calibration when a new firmware comes out and messes stuff up? Do you just stop doing firmware updates to be on the safe side? Most firmware updates do not change calibration but it has from time to time. You may want to block further updates.
Quote:

Quote:
I would have loved to have both a video/audio calibration. His prices were very reasonable, all things considered.
Well you have 2 calibrations per say, if you could find 3 more people I believe Chad B said that is when he will travel to most locations, 5 people or more.
LCSeminole and Paul Jarman like this.
post #19346 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:

thanks!
The Korean firmware will not work on Australian TV's it is only good for Korean and US models.

It's not seeing it because it's not the right firmware for your model and it does that to protect someone from installing and messing up the TV

TV - LG C8 & LG C6, AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Paul Jarman likes this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #19347 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

thanks!
Had the same issue trying to update firmware on AUS tv as well, tried 3 differenrt styicks used . TV knew what it was but wasn't going to kick off the firmare upgrade for either of us it seams. Now to wait for OTA release from LG whenever that will be.

cheers
post #19348 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
The Korean firmware will not work on Australian TV's it is only good for Korean and US models.
Whats the difference between a Korean, USA and an Australian E8 ?

And if their is a difference …. why ?

cheers guys
post #19349 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I bought a Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter during prime day, thinking I'd experiment with whether it fixes some of the strange behavoirs with my Apple TV that i get when SimpleLink (ARC) is turned on. I haven't had a chance to to hook it in yet. But then it dawned on me that it might cause my AirPlay to not work, or for the input to not change when i aiplay something from my phone to the TV. Has anyone found that to be the case?
post #19350 of 21069 Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SF Bay Area calibration

Quote:
I'm in the SF Bay Area and the big known Calibrator around here is Robert Busch who seems highly recommended. I already spoke with him and got a tentative date set.
Quote:
.03 hasn’t come across the air officially in the US right? What about thru Engineering? Are engineering ones ever final? I can’t remember.
I also talked to Robert Busch back in May. After talking with Robert I decided to wait for the new firmware. We all know how that's been going. Just before the 4th of July JRocker23 posted a link to 05.10.02. I downloaded it but waited about a week to update, there had been numerous happy reviews. Shortly after updating to ...02 happy posts about 05.10.03 began. I used JRocker23's link in post #19253 to the Korean LG website and am now using it. I'm happy i did both, now I need to decide whether it's time to schedule Busch Home Theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page