2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 670 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80245Likes

post #20071 of 21079 Old 08-08-2019, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr9999 View Post
  1. Measured here brightness / gamma. I was hoping for better. I would give LG only the sufficiency.
  2. I didn't go looking for macroblocks, but the Christmas tree effect was absent.
  3. I confirm roll back is not anymore possible.
  4. The HDR black level (Cinema mode) is good.
  5. Boring, I hope it's just my problem, but the throughput of my 5GHz Wi-Fi drops to 1/2 Mbps from more than 100. Better with 2.4GHz. I tried accessing from two different routers. I was hoping that with the settings reset it would go right. I've put the cable for now.
Regarding 5: Interesting and very pecululiar issue. At my home I have two 5GHz Wi-Fi AP: one modern, 802.11ac and an other one, older (DIR-845L from D-LINK) based on 802.11n, with different SSIDs. I solved the issue by stopping the DIR-845L broadcasting 5Ghz, i.e. its 5GHz SSID.

Worth to add, that accessing with my PC, to both AP's on air, I cannot see such performance degradation.
gymnos likes this.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20072 of 21079 Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Very true! This would provide a cleaner look. Thanks for this future idea since unfortunately it seems LG isn’t planning to change their reflective stands any time soon.. would have to do it right out of unboxing though because once I get that stand on there’s no way I’m getting spray anywhere near my screen. Lol

Yes spray outside please without the tv lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20073 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 4697 Post(s)
Liked: 6976
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I was thinking about this topic again today. I am sorry to keep harping on this. I just really want to understand it. If I end up not keeping the UB820 I just got, then the only other option I will have is probably back to my X800M2, in which case the TV's DTM is really all I got. So say I turn that off....

What do I get if I turn off all dynamic tone mapping, external player tone mapping, etc. What is my TV's standard tone mapping doing and what is it missing without any type of dynamic tone mapping turned on?
I headlined this in post number 20015 yesterday . But you need to re-watch Vincent's videos I linked in that post. He explains it better than all of us can.

Then, re-watch them again.

And again.

Repeatedly asking the same question here won't really help - just repeatedly watch HIS VIDEOS.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20074 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
You made what exactly work? Downgrading from a 05 firmware?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer View Post
In addition to what @jk82 asked ...
OK, this will be my last post in this topic, since I'm still on 4.10.25 on B8, but this is how I can imagine.

There's was somebody (maybe on the UK forum) who reported that LG can revert the firmware from v5.* remotely.
- epk firmware extractor to get the software-updater from earlier firmware
- you can get ssh access to the TV (@smx-smx seems to know a lot about these things)
- try to install the extracted native app and use it

The other option would be to wait and pray for a proper fix.
gymnos likes this.

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #20075 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajresendez View Post
Hey guys just noticed today that I'm getting hella color banding on my set been watching "Another Life" on Netflix and it comes up all the time. Turned up noise reduction to high and it seems to have helped some. Anyways has anyone else had issues with this? I feel like my old EF9500 didn't have this issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I just finished episode 6 last night and haven't noticed any banding.

Maybe your bandwidth was slower than normal at that time?
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #20076 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I headlined this in post number 20015 yesterday . But you need to re-watch Vincent's videos I linked in that post. He explains it better than all of us can.

Then, re-watch them again.

And again.

Repeatedly asking the same question here won't really help - just repeatedly watch HIS VIDEOS.
I actually have watched them several times! :/
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #20077 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bourdeau View Post
I just finished episode 6 last night and haven't noticed any banding.

Maybe your bandwidth was slower than normal at that time?
Hmmm I'll have to test out a few different shows see if the behavior changes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #20078 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6573 Post(s)
Liked: 6569
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3isRC View Post
Yes spray outside please without the tv lol.

Quote:
Very true! This would provide a cleaner look. Thanks for this future idea since unfortunately it seems LG isn’t planning to change their reflective stands any time soon.. would have to do it right out of unboxing though because once I get that stand on there’s no way I’m getting spray anywhere near my screen. Lol
Ya, why even make it shinny in the first place, however matte finish can be harder to take care of......
post #20079 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just wanted to add that I did add a piece of black velvet fabric wrapped around the corners to the back of the stand so it kind of looks like my stand is a sash. lol I have the same fabric on the entertainment center it’s on so it kind of just appears to be floating. I actually like it better than the stand appearance wise.
I was going to post to say that "months ago, someone suggested fabric" - but after searching I found that It was you! .

Please could you post a couple of pics of your setup? One in the light so we can see where the velvet material is, and one in the dark with the TV on and all those nasty reflections absorbed? Ta!

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #20080 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've received and setup my 65" C8 and after 2 weeks of viewing and playing around with it i'm still having a hard time falling in love. The PQ is stunning, truly. Until there is movement

I'm coming from a 10 year old 50" PDP-5080HD Pioneer Kuro Plasma (720p) and that handles motion far better. That's now in the bonus room for the kids to watch Netflix.

Please, please tell me that there is something i can do to make this better? I apologize as i know there has been many posts on this topic. I'm hoping mine is unique enough to warrant some assistance. Thank you so much in advance.

Here is how this is setup

Comcast STB -> TV Arc port
PS4 -> HDMI 1 (used for gaming only)

Watching primarily Cable and Netflix from the LG built-in WebOS apps.

I've played around with all of the true motion settings and they're all terrible. Turning them off is the only tolerable solution
I've set it to Expert (Dark Room) and am playing around from there
SW Version is 4.10.55
Noise and MPEG settings off

Where i notice it the most is panning and side to side motion. Animated movies are pretty good. But for a $3500 TV (ok, i paid half that) that is regarded as the best TV money can buy by many accounts, this is a real problem.

If there IS nothing that can be done, is it possible it's fixed by SW/FW update in the future?
Is there another tech that's better at motion handling?
Is it better with an external source such as an Apple 4K TV or Roku 4K? Would prefer to use the built-in apps but i'll do whatever.

Thank you so much.
post #20081 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
I was going to post to say that "months ago, someone suggested fabric" - but after searching I found that It was you! .

Please could you post a couple of pics of your setup? One in the light so we can see where the velvet material is, and one in the dark with the TV on and all those nasty reflections absorbed? Ta!

But in a dark room with no other lights not even the other AV gear, it always looks floating. Just mount it and cover up all the gear behind black speaker mesh or velvet stretch cloth.
post #20082 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorts View Post
Where i notice it the most is panning and side to side motion. Animated movies are pretty good. But for a $3500 TV (ok, i paid half that) that is regarded as the best TV money can buy by many accounts, this is a real problem.
Always try before you buy. Motion is something that everyone perceives differently, and there is no "perfect" solution with sample-and-hold display technologies like OLED and LCD.

Quote:
If there IS nothing that can be done, is it possible it's fixed by SW/FW update in the future?
Quote:
I've played around with all of the true motion settings and they're all terrible
Don't believe you! There are 242 possible permutations that you can set with the options inside the "TruMotion" menu. Each is working as designed as far as I know, but the limitations are sample-and-hold display technology.

It will take you a lot of experimenting to find what is "best" for you - again it's down to how your brain is perceiving the illusion of motion on the TV. Don't give up so soon. But for me, I turn it off.

There is no real motion, remember - just a sequence of still images.

Quote:
Yes, but you won't like the answer - plasma

Quote:
Is it better with an external source such as an Apple 4K TV or Roku 4K? Would prefer to use the built-in apps but i'll do whatever.

Thank you so much.
Built-in apps will always be better, with a cleaner purer signal path and very often higher quality video and audio too.
tgr131, tanman and calfcramp like this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 08-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #20083 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3823 Post(s)
Liked: 3726
Quote:
I've received and setup my 65" C8 and after 2 weeks of viewing and playing around with it i'm still having a hard time falling in love. The PQ is stunning, truly. Until there is movement

I'm coming from a 10 year old 50" PDP-5080HD Pioneer Kuro Plasma (720p) and that handles motion far better. That's now in the bonus room for the kids to watch Netflix.

Please, please tell me that there is something i can do to make this better? I apologize as i know there has been many posts on this topic. I'm hoping mine is unique enough to warrant some assistance. Thank you so much in advance.

Here is how this is setup

PS4 -> HDMI 1 (used for gaming only)

Watching primarily Cable and Netflix from the LG built-in WebOS apps.

I've played around with all of the true motion settings and they're all terrible. Turning them off is the only tolerable solution

I've set it to Expert (Dark Room) and am playing around from there

SW Version is 4.10.55

Noise and MPEG settings off

Thank you so much.

Oled is sample and hold technology so you are going to see differences between that and plasma motion , that is just the way it is . Up to you whether you can ultimately tolerate it . I came from plasma a few years back , I find the lg motion to be good enough for me . You could try a Sony but that is going to cost you more .

LCSeminole, tanman and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #20084 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I'm coming from a 10 year old 50" PDP-5080HD Pioneer Kuro Plasma (720p) and that handles motion far better.

I've had my C8 for just over a year now, and I previously had a plasma. Initially, the only way I was able to tolerate the difference in motion was by enabling black frame insertion. Even though BFI resulted in 3:2 pulldown for 24 Hz content, it was less bothersome to me than the stuttering I would notice when playing content at 24p. There was also a considerable reduction in brightness due to BFI, but it was still much brighter than my plasma so it didn't really bother me.

Lately, I've started watching movies with BFI disabled, and I've been surprised at how little I notice the stuttering now.

The motion isn't ever going to look like your plasma, but it's very likely that you'll eventually get used to it.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #20085 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3388 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:

I have Comcast connected directly to my C8 (HDMI 1). I did this because it is a legacy Xfininty STB (1080 only) and has trouble with Deep Color, so I needed to use a separate HDMI input and disable Deep Color on that input. No motion issues at all for the most part with TruMotion disabled. The only stutter we've seen is with an occasional old movie or old network show (some westerns on MeTV). Network sports are fine. All of my other devices go thru the receiver which then connects to HDMI 4 on the C8.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #20086 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 38
At the risk of going off on a tangent, I thought 24p "stutter" was basically an inherent limitation of the source material having a low frame rate. Why would a plasma handle that better than an LCD or OLED? It seems like that kind of stutter effect would be visible regardless of whether it's a sample-and-hold display or an impulse-type display.

Motion resolution, though, I understand would be a whole different issue...
post #20087 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi folks. Last week I finally picked up my first 77" OLED, the C8, coming from a 65" B6. I've been waiting for the 77" to drop to a reasonable price level for a while.
So I was quite sad when I found a very small, perhaps 2 mm, scratch/mark on the panel which I could feel with my finger. It seemed to me that the box was unopened so it baffled me.
The TV also had a small rectangle-like shape down in the middle of the screen, perhaps 10 x 10 cm. This shape was very dark and was very distracting no matter what type of content I was playing.
It seemed to me like it was some sort of problem with the panel, and it didn't go away (although I only used the set for 2-3 hours before it was back in its box).

In any case, I returned the set and got a replacement today. I was very happy not to discover any physical marks. But OMG, the dark shapes are back in full force on this second set. The whole upper left and middle are filled with these things.
Please see the attached screenshot.

So I am asking, what on earth are they? These dark patches are not in any way related to what's being shown on the TV, they are fixed in place and are only invisible when the screen is off.

Do I have to return the set and get a third set or are these 77" riddled with problems like these?
Or is this something that will simply go away after xxx amount of hours?
I decoded the serial numbers and both of the sets I've gotten so far were manufactured in October 2018 in the LG factory in Poland (I'm in the EU), if that matters.

Thankful for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_221915.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	681.2 KB
ID:	2601148  
post #20088 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
At the risk of going off on a tangent, I thought 24p "stutter" was basically an inherent limitation of the source material having a low frame rate. Why would a plasma handle that better than an LCD or OLED? It seems like that kind of stutter effect would be visible regardless of whether it's a sample-and-hold display or an impulse-type display.

It’s because of the instant pixel response time it tends to exaggerate the stutter without motion interpolation . It doesn’t really bother me but I know for some folks it’s an issue. 60 FPS material is less of an issue in that regard .

Cam1977 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #20089 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 02:55 PM

2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Thoresen View Post
Hi folks. Last week I finally picked up my first 77" OLED, the C8, coming from a 65" B6. I've been waiting for the 77" to drop to a reasonable price level for a while.
So I was quite sad when I found a very small, perhaps 2 mm, scratch/mark on the panel which I could feel with my finger. It seemed to me that the box was unopened so it baffled me.
The TV also had a small rectangle-like shape down in the middle of the screen, perhaps 10 x 10 cm. This shape was very dark and was very distracting no matter what type of content I was playing.
It seemed to me like it was some sort of problem with the panel, and it didn't go away (although I only used the set for 2-3 hours before it was back in its box).

In any case, I returned the set and got a replacement today. I was very happy not to discover any physical marks. But OMG, the dark shapes are back in full force on this second set. The whole upper left and middle are filled with these things.
Please see the attached screenshot.

So I am asking, what on earth are they? These dark patches are not in any way related to what's being shown on the TV, they are fixed in place and are only invisible when the screen is off.

Do I have to return the set and get a third set or are these 77" riddled with problems like these?
Or is this something that will simply go away after xxx amount of hours?
I decoded the serial numbers and both of the sets I've gotten so far were manufactured in October 2018 in the LG factory in Poland (I'm in the EU), if that matters.

Thankful for any input.

Are you referring to the vertical lines? I had a large black blob top center of my set when I first got it but it went away after a few comp cycles.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #20090 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Are you referring to the vertical lines? I had large black blob top center of my set when I first got it but it went away after a few comp cycles.

Hi, no not any vertical lines but the big dark spots in the sky area in the picture, above the glaciers.
These dark spots can be seen in all content, they are more visible in darker scenes but they are fixed and never fade completely, or move.
Only when the TV is off does the screen look fine.

I am attaching another picture. Do you see the exact same dark pattern on that screenshot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190809_215428.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	2601192  
post #20091 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
OLEDs don't need a backlight .

Me too!

Okay, Okay. I meant OLED LIGHT. Lol, my BRAIN was in the past. The painful past!
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by calfcramp; 08-09-2019 at 03:12 PM.
post #20092 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 03:04 PM

2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Are you referring to the vertical lines? I had a large black blob top center of my set when I first got it but it went away after a few comp cycles.

Does that hatch pattern show up in real life or is that a camera effect ? Also do you have access to greyscale slides from a calibration disc ? Would curious to see your 5% slide.

Edit yes I see what you are referring to now , how many hours on the set ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #20093 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Does that hatch pattern show up in real life or is that a camera effect ? Also do you have access to greyscale slides from a calibration disc ? Would curious to see your 5% slide.

Edit yes I see what you are referring to now , how many hours on the set ?

I was going to find a 5% slide and when I went back to the set and turned it on, the dark patches were gone. Simply gone. Poof. I have no idea how or why but right now I am very happy!
The set has about 4 hours, so I guess this could be something related to it being fresh out of the box? Perhaps some sort of cleaning process was run when I turned it off a few hours ago.

Anyway, thank you so much for chiming in.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #20094 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
The set has about 4 hours. . .
There you (probably) go. . . the TV runs a mini-pixel refresh every 4 hours behind the scenes after you turn off the TV. It takes a few minutes. Every 1000 hours, it runs a more comprehensive one.

It likely cleared up the problem during its first 4-hour auto-cycle.

--H
chunon and Cam1977 like this.
post #20095 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I was going to find a 5% slide and when I went back to the set and turned it on, the dark patches were gone. Simply gone. Poof. I have no idea how or why but right now I am very happy!
The set has about 4 hours, so I guess this could be something related to it being fresh out of the box? Perhaps some sort of cleaning process was run when I turned it off a few hours ago.

Yeah definitely the comp cycle, glad it resolved itself.

Cam1977 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #20096 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah definitely the comp cycle, glad it resolved itself.

I wish they'd warn the buyer that the image has to settle for a few hours before you know what you have with these things. My C8 had some anomalies out of the box that were resolved in very short order. Glad his 77 settled in!
chunon and Cam1977 like this.
post #20097 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
I wish they'd warn the buyer that the image has to settle for a few hours before you know what you have with these things. My C8 had some anomalies out of the box that were resolved in very short order. Glad his 77 settled in!

Yeah the worst thing you can do is run slides right off the bat imo

vince48, chad43 and Cam1977 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #20098 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post

While theatrical movies are 24 FPS movie theaters don’t really show them that way. The projectors that used film would repeat each frame 3 times, the digital projectors often would repeat 4 times. This made them look smoother.
I had a Samsung Series 8 plasma. When it received 24 FPS it would switch to 96 hertz & repeat 4 times emulating the movie projectors. LG plasmas would change to 76 hertz & repeat 3. I would assume other plasma makers would do the same.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #20099 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
LG probably doesnt want to admit that!!!
post #20100 of 21079 Old 08-09-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I have appointment with D-Nice to calibrate my 77” LG C8 on Saturday! Looking forward to seeing what the results will be !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , brighter corner , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page