2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 677 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80812Likes

post #20281 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Anyone have notes on what the changes are with the latest firmware update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20282 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAVS600 View Post
I've recently bought a 55" E8 and I'm delighted with the picture. However, I'm having some issues with the sound.

In terms of audio quality I've found the built-in speakers to be fine for general use, and reasonably good for films and drama. As I have quite a large lounge I have to have the volume over 50%, and when that happens I hear a distinctive 'rattle' or vibration from the TV. This is triggered by bass notes and even some bassy voices. I can't work out whether the rattle is coming from the speaker cabinet or elsewhere on the TV. I thought it might be from the casing at the back.

It's very annoying and I can't believe that this would be acceptable for a premium TV, so perhaps something is loose, or a speaker cone has blown? I've deselected all audio processing and under 'Standard' settings I've used the equaliser to roll off 100hz and 300hz to minus 10, but the rattle still occurs.

Does anyone else have the same issue? If not then it could be classed as a fault and I may return the TV under warranty. If you've managed to cure it I'd love to know how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
On my C8 the right speaker does also rattle at certain bass frequencies. It's caused by vibrations as the rattle stops when I hold the speaker in place with a Q-tip. I guess to fix this one would need to open the back cover and look how the speakers are attached and where exactly the rattle noise is coming from. I didn't bother though as I almost never use the internal speakers.

Coming back to this, I now got curious about what the hell is wrong with the right speaker of my C8 as it is rattling like crazy at lower frequencies so I opened the back cover and this is what I found:

There is some sheet metal which is supposed to be attached to the speakers and on the right one this was completely detached and just laying loosely in the casing.
I just glued it back on, hoping it doesn't detach again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8_speaker_02.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	2602866   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8_speaker_01.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	2602868  
post #20283 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Yeah it did, in late July. He was able to get me in pretty quick and it was a really great day. I think we spent like 5 hours on my TV alone. I am very happy with the results. I really enjoyed the whole experience.

It wasn't originally planned but I had him look over my sound system too and ended up getting a basic consultation on it as well. We didn't change much but what we did change actually made a big difference.
Great, had you updated to the latest FW before? Did Robert calibrate HDR and Dolby Digital also? Did he have test patterns and meters for both of those?

This is our 2nd OLED, the 1st was a 55EC9300. My wife thinks it’s OK to spend money to calibrate the 65C8 but also thinks it “looks fine and is bigger” with a shrug of the shoulders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20284 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxCA View Post
Great, had you updated to the latest FW before? Did Robert calibrate HDR and Dolby Digital also? Did he have test patterns and meters for both of those?

This is our 2nd OLED, the 1st was a 55EC9300. My wife thinks it’s OK to spend money to calibrate the 65C8 but also thinks it “looks fine and is bigger” with a shrug of the shoulders.
Yeah I got 5.10.03 about a week before he came. I just did a USB update and got the file from one of the sites recommended on this thread. I'm sorry I can't recall which one I got it from, it's been a few weeks! It was one of the overseas LG sites that had posted it early. Robert did mention he had the latest firmware on USB but I had told him I already updated so we didn't need his.

He calibrated pretty much any picture mode I requested. I assume you mean Dolby Vision and not Dolby Digital. We did SDR, SDR Gaming, HDR, HDR Gaming, and Dolby Vision. He had the test patterns for everything as well as a lot of discs to test things with.

Your wife sounds like mine. She basically said "if you want to do it, that's your birthday present this year."
calfcramp and rdgcss like this.
post #20285 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
Anyone have notes on what the changes are with the latest firmware update?
They notes havebeen posted a few times here. Just use search or look back a couple of pages

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
mrtickleuk likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #20286 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah I got 5.10.03 about a week before he came. I just did a USB update and got the file from one of the sites recommended on this thread. I'm sorry I can't recall which one I got it from, it's been a few weeks! It was one of the overseas LG sites that had posted it early. Robert did mention he had the latest firmware on USB but I had told him I already updated so we didn't need his.

He calibrated pretty much any picture mode I requested. I assume you mean Dolby Vision and not Dolby Digital. We did SDR, SDR Gaming, HDR, HDR Gaming, and Dolby Vision. He had the test patterns for everything as well as a lot of discs to test things with.

Your wife sounds like mine. She basically said "if you want to do it, that's your birthday present this year."
zeonstar, thank you for thr quick replies,

Yes, I meant Dolby Vision. I'l give him a call and see when he can fit us in.
post #20287 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
Thanks guys!
Can you comment the possible black crush in DV mode using 5.10.03 that was reported multiple times by different users? (I can't since I'm still on 4.10.25 B8)
Thanks

I really couldn't tell you much about DV as I don't have the tools to calibrate or even measure it. Besides that I rarely even use DV and when I do I just use the same adjustments that I use for HDR. It is too dark on the low end at default settings on my panel just like HDR and SDR but if there is a DV change with the 05 firmware I don't know....

Last edited by jk82; 08-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.
post #20288 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Coming back to this, I now got curious about what the hell is wrong with the right speaker of my C8 as it is rattling like crazy at lower frequencies so I opened the back cover and this is what I found:

There is some sheet metal which is supposed to be attached to the speakers and on the right one this was completely detached and just laying loosely in the casing.
I just glued it back on, hoping it doesn't detach again.
Thanks for this, very interesting. Has it stopped the rattle? I might investigate my own TV as I've got the same issue. How easy is it to remove the back cover?
calfcramp likes this.
post #20289 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAVS600 View Post
Thanks for this, very interesting. Has it stopped the rattle? I might investigate my own TV as I've got the same issue. How easy is it to remove the back cover?

Yes the rattling completely stopped after glueing the sheet metal back on. I used this online tone generator for testing and the right speaker sounded awful at lower frequiencies:
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator
If both speakers are doing it on yours it might be a different cause...

With the C8 you just need to lay it down flat, remove the stand and a few screws and then you can pull off the back cover. But since you have an E8 I couldn't tell if the procedure is different or not.
calfcramp and TonyAVS600 like this.
post #20290 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4903 Post(s)
Liked: 7197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
Disclaimer: I don't know what "TPC" stand for nor if this is:
- A power saving feature
- A feature to prevent burn-in
- Both of the above
So turn it off at your own risk
Based on what I've read on this forum I believe it stands for Thermal Protection Circuit, and is intended to stop the TV overheating as well as reduce the risk of image retention.
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #20291 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4903 Post(s)
Liked: 7197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
As you said, "that you noticed after the update". There is practically no way for the firmware update to create stuck and or dead pixels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post
Yeah, I am sure it is a pure coincidence. It seems very unlikely that it would have been the FW upgrade.
You still allow for doubt! I think it's safe to use more absolute language here. Firmware updates cannot create stuck pixels! So:
"Yeah, it can only be a pure coincidence. It is not possible that it was caused by the FW upgrade."

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #20292 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
You still allow for doubt! I think it's safe to use more absolute language here. Firmware updates cannot create stuck pixels! So:
"Yeah, it can only be a pure coincidence. It is not possible that it was caused by the FW upgrade."
In 72 years I have learned to: “never say never, never say always”
Glenee, alexbarbel and 11thunder07 like this.
post #20293 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So on something unrelated to the firmware (as it didn't change it):

I have had my HDMI sources be incredibly good with lip sync on the C8 compared to my previous TVs.

However, on the built in apps that I output with optical to an old receiver, the lip sync is always off, even if I play with the adjustment, it just seems to get worse.

Even HDMI sources that I test going out of the TV with optical, are spot on, the in built apps I just can't get right. Has anyone else noticed this or know a solution? Thanks.
post #20294 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
I do love my OLED. I had wanted one for literally years and finally got one late last year. I never thought I would be this crazy about a TV, getting it professionally calibrated and all that.

My wife just sits in the corner shaking her head disapprovingly while muttering "Our old TV was fine."
LOL, HAHAHAH

Sorry, this made me laugh out loud! So true!
zeonstar likes this.
post #20295 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saywhat4118 View Post
Hey all, so I have had my tv for more than a year, had it calibrated by Magnolia Best Buy.

So I'm seeing some issues that I just don't know if it is normal or I have a messed up tv.

In Dolby Vision shows or any HDR shows like Chilling adventures of Sabrina, Punisher, Series of Unfortunate Events or even from Apple TV movies (Dolby Vision), there is a HUGE lag on going from dark to bright. So if the scene is very dark, it just stays dark unless an bright light forces the rest of the panel to get brighter. I can even do this manually.. if I'm watching a video and scene is really dark and then I press the volume button, the whole image gets brighter (not talking about the white volume text).

And I'm watching this in a dark room. Anyone else seeing this HDR issues? Is it magnolias calibration fault? Any help or insight would be appreciated. Overall, a superb tv but this lag on switching dark to bright scenes is really making me want to switch to another manufacturer.

C8 77"
Almost a year ago, I had the geek squad calibration done. All I have to say for people thinking about it............RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUN!!!!

Now, after getting that out of the way. Geek Squad does not calibrate any HDR settings\options, etc, in anyway whatsoever! Took about 6 weeks to get my money back from the district manager no less, finding out what they tell me people is not true. After doing that, I found a local guy. Paid him 400 plus dinner here at my place{have to eat right?} and it's beautiful!!! I will always get any TV calibrated from now on after seeing the difference!
post #20296 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Almost a year ago, I had the geek squad calibration done. All I have to say for people thinking about it............RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUN!!!!

Now, after getting that out of the way. Geek Squad does not calibrate any HDR settings\options, etc, in anyway whatsoever! Took about 6 weeks to get my money back from the district manager no less, finding out what they tell me people is not true. After doing that, I found a local guy. Paid him 400 plus dinner here at my place{have to eat right?} and it's beautiful!!! I will always get any TV calibrated from now on after seeing the difference!

I wouldn’t let geek squad touch any of my electronics ever lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp likes this.
post #20297 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Liked: 0
Thanks for the tips and feedback everyone!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
post #20298 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3762
Ooh Godzilla KOTM looks phenomenal in HDR, way better HT experience than at the movies!
post #20299 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Is that out already?
post #20300 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
The LG OLED TV will dim when the "average" picture stays unchanged for more than 60s.
This can be really annoying when watching videos/movies that have scenes longer than 60s.
This feature/function cannot be turned off in the normal user accessible menu. It can however be disabled the Service Menu (also known as IN-START):

How to access the Service Menu:
Follow instructions given here or buy the Service Menu Explorer LG TV Android App (US$ 6,06) (See attachment 01).
Press the blue button on the left, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot.
The TV will ask for a password, it should be 0413.

What to change:
Go to "13. OLED" (if you dont see it, press exit on the remote and access the Service Menu again).
Set "TPC Enable" to '0' or 'Off' (depending on your model/firmware). (See attachment 02)
Press Exit on the remote. (The change will be saved)
Enjoy.

Tips:
You only need the App to access the Service Menu, you can use the normal remote to enter the password and navigate inside the menu.
Return doesn't work, you will have to use the app button (the left one, blue, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot) to "navigate back".
The Red button on the app gives you access to "EZ Adjust".

Disclaimer: I don't know what "TPC" stand for nor if this is:
- A power saving feature
- A feature to prevent burn-in
- Both of the above
So turn it off at your own risk

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Okay so I am trying to access the service menu. Where is this screenshot? Thanks for clarifying.

Edit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.android.lgsm is this the app? My phone doesn't have infrared. Is there another app?

Last edited by Saywhat4118; 08-14-2019 at 09:30 PM.
post #20301 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3762
@zeonstar yes on VOD, I got mine through Vudu.
post #20302 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a harmony remote that has the service menu button in the software. I've never used an app.

post #20303 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I have a harmony remote that has the service menu button in the software. I've never used an app.

Oh ok, what model harmony remote is it? I'll buy one.

post #20304 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3470 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saywhat4118 View Post
Oh ok, what model harmony remote is it? I'll buy one.

My Harmony 700 has the SM button but I've never used it. Regardless of what you read, it's never a good idea to enter the SM unless you are EXACTLY sure of what you are doing. Firmware and board versions can vary, even within the same model line so if you don't find what you're looking for get out. You can do some serious damage to your panel. Be very careful if you choose to tread where no user was ever meant to be.
Jrocker23 and bertk like this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #20305 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've used the Harmony 700 and the Harmony Elite.

post #20306 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Curious

Scanning through a lot of threads this evening and it seems like the only ways to deal with the dimming that takes place when a static bright scene is on the screen is to raise the OLED setting and lower the contrast and disable TPC in the SM? Is that where we are? 2019 C8
post #20307 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
My Harmony 700 has the SM button but I've never used it. Regardless of what you read, it's never a good idea to enter the SM unless you are EXACTLY sure of what you are doing. Firmware and board versions can vary, even within the same model line so if you don't find what you're looking for get out. You can do some serious damage to your panel. Be very careful if you choose to tread where no user was ever meant to be.
Appreciate the warning but I don't know what else to do here. I've seen my issue with the dimming and lag on raising the brightness in multiple movies and shows. I can't believe an 8K tv would have such an issue.

post #20308 of 21734 Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The way ASBL is implemented is terrible and I can't believe LG still uses the same crappy algorithm as it did years ago. On my C6 it behaved the same, often dimming in non-static dark scenes. Thank god it can be disabled in the service menu, otherwise this would drive me nuts. Every few firmwares I enable it again just to see if they maybe improved it. Watched Avengers Endgame UHD-Blu-Ray a couple days ago, ASBL triggered in one of the darker scenes so I turned it off again.
It's just unbelievable that LG doesn't fix this, there is no point in dimming non-static dark scenes and I find it hard to believe that they can't code an algorithm that won't trigger in such cases...
calfcramp and chros73 like this.
post #20309 of 21734 Old 08-15-2019, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I really couldn't tell you much about DV as I don't have the tools to calibrate or even measure it. Besides that I rarely even use DV and when I do I just use the same adjustments that I use for HDR. It is too dark on the low end at default settings on my panel just like HDR and SDR but if there is a DV change with the 05 firmware I don't know....
Thanks!

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #20310 of 21734 Old 08-15-2019, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
Thanks guys!
Can you comment the possible black crush in DV mode using 5.10.03 that was reported multiple times by different users? (I can't since I'm still on 4.10.25 B8)
Thanks
I don't have measuremet either for DV, nor HDR10, but anyhow, using HDR pattern, I have not noted diffrences through the various releases. Zero level looks good. To tell I don't watch HDR contents and occasionally DV on Netflix. Maybe due to the fact that DV is difficult to calibrate, I am less piggy on it, and vision look good to me.
chros73 likes this.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page