2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 678 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80801Likes

post #20311 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Coming back to this, I now got curious about what the hell is wrong with the right speaker of my C8 as it is rattling like crazy at lower frequencies so I opened the back cover and this is what I found: ......

There is some sheet metal which is supposed to be attached to the speakers and on the right one this was completely detached and just laying loosely in the casing.
I just glued it back on, hoping it doesn't detach again.
I also like fixing stuff, as you have done, but in this case I would retain, as you risk voiding your warranty.

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20312 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton911 View Post
Well, my fear came true, I accidentally updated my set from .15 and cannot revert as I always did in the past.

So if you're watching bright content, the gamma and overall picture is not dramatically different than .15, which is good.

The problem is dark scenes. When there are dark clothes in a dark scene or similar, I see detail missing, some areas have become blobs of black.

.15 was just ideal for me. I did have a bit of the white flashes in select dark scenes with .15 but I saw that as a technology limitation rather a flaw. I was happy to live with that.
Which vision modes have you noted that black crunch?

TV: LG 55E8PLA, Pana TX-L37ET5E BD/DVR: Panasonic BMR-BWT735 Media player: Teufel Connector 2, HT Rec: ANTHEM MRX 510,
Front: Woofer&Tweeter, Center: 2Woofer&1Tweeter, Surround: Bose acoustimass 5 series II, Sub: SVS SB2000
post #20313 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebr9999 View Post
Which vision modes have you noted that black crunch?
See this post: it was a discussion about new v5.10.x firmware Dolby Vision using Cinema mode (not Cinema Home).

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20314 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saywhat4118 View Post
Appreciate the warning but I don't know what else to do here. I've seen my issue with the dimming and lag on raising the brightness in multiple movies and shows. I can't believe an 8K tv would have such an issue.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Thought you had a 77 C8, which is not an 8k panel. They don't exist, yet. I think you also mentioned that you had your panel calibrated by BB. They don't have a good reputation around here for reliable calibrations. Whatever the cause, good luck venturing into the SM and do be careful. Any problems that may result from that will not be covered under warranty.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #20315 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Thought you had a 77 C8, which is not an 8k panel. They don't exist, yet. I think you also mentioned that you had your panel calibrated by BB. They don't have a good reputation around here for reliable calibrations. Whatever the cause, good luck venturing into the SM and do be careful. Any problems that may result from that will not be covered under warranty.
Oh sorry I meant $8k tv not 8K lol. TV already past warranty and I have purchased the extended warranty from best buy. If I mess it up, I'll just have them replace it with a Sony 😉.
post #20316 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6688 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
I also like fixing stuff, as you have done, but in this case I would retain, as you risk voiding your warranty.
That is true, but they have to prove you where in there.......
post #20317 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
That is true, but they have to prove you where in there.......

So true 😂
post #20318 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just had a question about the difference between hdr10 vs DV. I ask this because I have a DV capable player, the lg up970, but I don't use it as my main player because for some reason the disk drive can get pretty loud when playing UHD discs. I'm currently using my Sony UPB x800 which I feel is a better player but the only problem is there's no DV support. Is there much difference between the two formats?
post #20319 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadeFoster View Post
I just had a question about the difference between hdr10 vs DV. I ask this because I have a DV capable player, the lg up970, but I don't use it as my main player because for some reason the disk drive can get pretty loud when playing UHD discs. I'm currently using my Sony UPB x800 which I feel is a better player but the only problem is there's no DV support. Is there much difference between the two formats?
If each hdr & Dolby vision are implemented properly, dolby will look better. Most won't notice but side by side Dolby would win.

Dolby does frame by frame implementation, hdr does a general implementation to the whole picture

The newer Hdr10 + does try to do hdr like dolby vision does frame by frame

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #20320 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
In 72 years I have learned to: “never say never, never say always”
Normally I'd agree to be cautious, but this special case is a certainty. The firmware cannot have caused a physical change on the panel. Hence, impossible.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #20321 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
dimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
The LG OLED TV will dim when the "average" picture stays unchanged for more than 60s.
This can be really annoying when watching videos/movies that have scenes longer than 60s.
This feature/function cannot be turned off in the normal user accessible menu. It can however be disabled the Service Menu (also known as IN-START):

How to access the Service Menu:
Follow instructions given here or buy the Service Menu Explorer LG TV Android App (US$ 6,06) (See attachment 01).
Press the blue button on the left, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot.
The TV will ask for a password, it should be 0413.

What to change:
Go to "13. OLED" (if you dont see it, press exit on the remote and access the Service Menu again).
Set "TPC Enable" to '0' or 'Off' (depending on your model/firmware). (See attachment 02)
Press Exit on the remote. (The change will be saved)
Enjoy.

Tips:
You only need the App to access the Service Menu, you can use the normal remote to enter the password and navigate inside the menu.
Return doesn't work, you will have to use the app button (the left one, blue, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot) to "navigate back".
The Red button on the app gives you access to "EZ Adjust".

Disclaimer: I don't know what "TPC" stand for nor if this is:
- A power saving feature
- A feature to prevent burn-in
- Both of the above
So turn it off at your own risk

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This may address the ABL that takes place going from a dark scene to a bright scene but it does nothing for the "dimming" that takes place on static images.
post #20322 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
The LG OLED TV will dim when the "average" picture stays unchanged for more than 60s.
This can be really annoying when watching videos/movies that have scenes longer than 60s.
This feature/function cannot be turned off in the normal user accessible menu. It can however be disabled the Service Menu (also known as IN-START):

How to access the Service Menu:
Follow instructions given here or buy the Service Menu Explorer LG TV Android App (US$ 6,06) (See attachment 01).
Press the blue button on the left, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot.
The TV will ask for a password, it should be 0413.

What to change:
Go to "13. OLED" (if you dont see it, press exit on the remote and access the Service Menu again).
Set "TPC Enable" to '0' or 'Off' (depending on your model/firmware). (See attachment 02)
Press Exit on the remote. (The change will be saved)
Enjoy.

Tips:
You only need the App to access the Service Menu, you can use the normal remote to enter the password and navigate inside the menu.
Return doesn't work, you will have to use the app button (the left one, blue, labelled "IN START" in my screenshot) to "navigate back".
The Red button on the app gives you access to "EZ Adjust".

Disclaimer: I don't know what "TPC" stand for nor if this is:
- A power saving feature
- A feature to prevent burn-in
- Both of the above
So turn it off at your own risk

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I hesitate to ask this but do people actually disable TPC? I have been hesitant to do it...but only because I have never personally witnessed my TV dimming after a certain period. Guess this depends on what content you watch.
post #20323 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I hesitate to ask this but do people actually disable TPC? I have been hesitant to do it...but only because I have never personally witnessed my TV dimming after a certain period. Guess this depends on what content you watch.
I would say if you don't notice it then I wouldn't mess with it...I need it to be spot on all the time without fluctuation for my work. That's the only reason I'm wasting so much time trying to eliminate it. I do also dispize nanny functions on about anything...I'm a big boy and can handle it. I'd rather have it take a crap in 2 years then have someone force something down my throat that negatively effects my work.
calfcramp likes this.
post #20324 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4894 Post(s)
Liked: 7193
Quote:
I do it, only during calibration since it is recommended by Spectracal to do so as it can spoil the calibration. It goes back on afterwards.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #20325 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebidia5 View Post
I would say if you don't notice it then I wouldn't mess with it...I need it to be spot on all the time without fluctuation for my work. That's the only reason I'm wasting so much time trying to eliminate it. I do also dispize nanny functions on about anything...I'm a big boy and can handle it. I'd rather have it take a crap in 2 years then have someone force something down my throat that negatively effects my work.
I hear ya. We're buying Televisions that cost $2000-$5000. Maybe we might know a little about what we are doing.
post #20326 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
i would turn off all stupid protection algorithms if they let me
post #20327 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saywhat4118 View Post
Oh sorry I meant $8k tv not 8K lol. TV already past warranty and I have purchased the extended warranty from best buy. If I mess it up, I'll just have them replace it with a Sony 😉.
I wish I had the money everytime I screwed something up to just call them and tell them to replace it. It is nice when you have enough money to stand up and be a man, and say I 'll have another.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #20328 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Once I heard about it, I disabled it immediately. Has not been turned on since! I also turned Module HDR to on and it basically makes the whole screen an HDR brightness without having actual HDR content. Not good in my opinion.

I do agree with everybody's opinion on the ASBL\ABL issues. It seems to be the one CONSISTENT issue among all issues mentioned in this thread, since it began. I also think, that the picture quality is second to none, and it's not even close, IMO. Nothing in life is perfect and nothing will ever be.
post #20329 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am at my wits end!

I had a calibration done and I am very happy with the results. I have automatic firmware updates turned off.

But now I keep getting the nag notice that an update is available.

I tried blocking the domains listed in this post in both my router and my DNS dashboard, but I still get the nag notice.

Please, can someone tell me if there is a way to block this notice?

Alternatively, can anyone tell me if this update is safe to install, that it will not affect my calibration? Thanks!
post #20330 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Once I heard about it, I disabled it immediately. Has not been turned on since! I also turned Module HDR to on and it basically makes the whole screen an HDR brightness without having actual HDR content. Not good in my opinion.

I do agree with everybody's opinion on the ASBL\ABL issues. It seems to be the one CONSISTENT issue among all issues mentioned in this thread, since it began. I also think, that the picture quality is second to none, and it's not even close, IMO. Nothing in life is perfect and nothing will ever be.

So just so I understand...you turned that HDR mode back off?
post #20331 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
I am at my wits end!

I had a calibration done and I am very happy with the results. I have automatic firmware updates turned off.

I tried blocking the domains listed in this post in both my router and my DNS dashboard, but I still get the nag notice.

Alternatively, can anyone tell me if this update is safe to install, that it will not affect my calibration? Thanks!
Can't speak to your calibration (what version are you on?)

The nagging will eventually stop. Don't know if it is based on time (number of hours / days) or number of prompts upon turning on - but it will eventually stop.
post #20332 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt99 View Post

The nagging will eventually stop. Don't know if it is based on time (number of hours / days) or number of prompts upon turning on - but it will eventually stop.

My current version is 04.10.55.
post #20333 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CadeFoster View Post
Basically Dolby Vision is 12-bit color space but downscales to 10-bit color due to the limitations of today's panels. Metadata is dynamic in that it can change from scene to scene. It can be found on some UHD-BD players and some streaming services.

HDR10 is 10-bit color space. Metadata is static in that it stays the same regardless of the scene. Used mainly for UHD-BD players and streaming.

Both look really good but if you compare DV to HDR10, DV is noticeably better depending on your panel.
calfcramp, bertk and mrtickleuk like this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #20334 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Those wiser than me can confirm . . . but I do believe you run the risk of screwing up your calibration. I haven't really followed all the firmware technical discussions, but I believe 4.10.30 and 4.10.55 changed the gamma compared to the prior versions (last one 4.10.15).

I stayed on .15 precisely to avoid such a challenge (which is how I know the nagging eventually goes away).

I recently updated to the newest .03 when others confirmed it appeared to be very close to the .15 version.
post #20335 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello everyone. I just got a 65" E8 last Saturday. I just smile as I watch movies now. Upgraded from a 46" Samsung LED 3000 series TV or something. I have read through a good portion of the thread. Lost of information to take in. I have an S&M 2nd edition HD calibration disk. Will it give me accurate settings with a 4K TV? I am using an Oppo 203 to feed it, pass through on the receiver to the TV.

Right now I am using the settings from RTINGS. The picture with DV enabled seems to produce an orange tint to skin color. What setting would help me best remedy this?

Lastly, any sort of test or issues I should look for out the gate? It only has about 24 hours on it. I know I should wait until about 200 to get it calibrated. Just want to get it in the ballpark for now.

Thank you.
post #20336 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked: 5489
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post
Hello everyone. I just got a 65" E8 last Saturday. I just smile as I watch movies now. Upgraded from a 46" Samsung LED 3000 series TV or something. I have read through a good portion of the thread. Lost of information to take in. I have an S&M 2nd edition HD calibration disk. Will it give me accurate settings with a 4K TV? I am using an Oppo 203 to feed it, pass through on the receiver to the TV.

Right now I am using the settings from RTINGS. The picture with DV enabled seems to produce an orange tint to skin color. What setting would help me best remedy this?

Lastly, any sort of test or issues I should look for out the gate? It only has about 24 hours on it. I know I should wait until about 200 to get it calibrated. Just want to get it in the ballpark for now.

Thank you.
Best thing to do is put everything back to default. Use ISF Dark or Bright for SDR, Cinema for HDR and Cinema for DV. Those Rtings settings are old and probably not valid anymore since there have been many firmware updates since the set was initially reviewed.
ItzMe, Glenee, calfcramp and 2 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #20337 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I am at my wits end!

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Those wiser than me can confirm . . . but I do believe you run the risk of screwing up your calibration. I haven't really followed all the firmware technical discussions, but I believe 4.10.30 and 4.10.55 changed the gamma compared to the prior versions (last one 4.10.15).

I stayed on .15 precisely to avoid such a challenge (which is how I know the nagging eventually goes away).

I recently updated to the newest .03 when others confirmed it appeared to be very close to the .15 version.

OK, thanks, I guess I'll just wait and see.
post #20338 of 21726 Old 08-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post

Thank you.
It will keep looking better. I say there is some change even after 200 hours. Especially in SDR sources, I wasn't too happy until 200-300 hours in.
rdgcss likes this.
post #20339 of 21726 Old 08-16-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I have just noticed that the black bar between picture and bezal at the bottom of the screen on my 77C8 is quite a bit thicker than the top or side bars when viewing content that fills the screen. I wonder if anyone can confirm if this is normal as I never noticed it on my 65B7.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #20340 of 21726 Old 08-16-2019, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
If each hdr & Dolby vision are implemented properly, dolby will look better. Most won't notice but side by side Dolby would win.

Dolby does frame by frame implementation, hdr does a general implementation to the whole picture

The newer Hdr10 + does try to do hdr like dolby vision does frame by frame

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
Thanks for the info. I just have a couple more questions regarding hdr. I use Cinema home for DV and noticed that the colour gamut is locked into "wide". I thought the correct setting was auto as extended or wide just oversaturates the image? Also, for hdr10 I use technicolor expert and see that the default colour temp is warm 1. I know warm 2 is usually thought of to be the way to go so should that be changed for the technicolor expert preset, or left at warm 1? I'm on the new 5.10.03 firmware if that makes a difference. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page