2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 723 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81916Likes

post #21661 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonclarkccnp View Post
Can you tell me where these settings are? I couldn't find them in the forum. Thanks!
It's 6 posts right above this one #21651

Or original post here

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=58690912

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21662 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by luizffgarcia View Post
Hey guys, i am about to return my C8 after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY (look at 7 minutes for the subtitle burnin)

English is not my first language and i watch all movies and series with subtitles, originally i was not worried because i owned a Plasma for 5 years with no problems, but now learning that differently from Plasmas, OLED burn-ins are cumulative, and that subtitles can cause a pretty serious burn-in i see no other option but to return it and get a LCD TV.

Please let me know your thoughts about this, is there any reason to believe that C8s are immune to this comparing to the C7?

By my calculations i will reach 7000 hours on my TV in less than 2 years, and that picture in the video showing burn-in subtitles is from a tv with 7000 hours on it.
I think that the bottom line here is that there is a risk of permanent burn in from high usage of subtitles but that risk is difficult to quantify.

If you are the type of person who will be worrying that you could be causing burn in then get the best LCD/LED you can afford because your anxiety could ruin your enjoyment of your OLED. You won't get the absolute blacks that an OLED can deliver but some LCD/LED are getting very close, especially the mini LED as built by TCL.
https://www.cnet.com/news/mini-led-i...-improvements/

Another important factor for you to consider is how long you expect to keep the OLED. I kept my 65B7 for just eighteen months before I bought my 77C8 and so burn in didn't have too much chance of appearing. I expect I will be buying a new TV once I have had the 77 for a maximum of five years. Having said that, I moved so quickly from the 65B7 because of the great deal I got on the 77C8 and that could well happen again.
calfcramp, djoberg and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 10-17-2019 at 08:33 AM.
post #21663 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Hey guys, i am about to return my C8 after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY (look at 7 minutes for the subtitle burnin)

English is not my first language and i watch all movies and series with subtitles, originally i was not worried because i owned a Plasma for 5 years with no problems, but now learning that differently from Plasmas, OLED burn-ins are cumulative, and that subtitles can cause a pretty serious burn-in i see no other option but to return it and get a LCD TV.

Please let me know your thoughts about this, is there any reason to believe that C8s are immune to this comparing to the C7?

By my calculations i will reach 7000 hours on my TV in less than 2 years, and that picture in the video showing burn-in subtitles is from a tv with 7000 hours on it.
I suggest you return the set. The fact that you are posting about it, suggest it will always be a concern and IMHO, you will not be able to enjoy your tv. Every use case is unique and though I suspect 99% of the responses you receive here will try to appease you, why bother. There are many good options in LCD/LED land which will remove your concerns entirely.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21664 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6101 Post(s)
Liked: 8842
Quote:
Yep i agree that it is probably ok, but if someone got permanent burn in with subtitles i will most likely get it since i use them all the time. I was also reading about this guy who got a netflix logo burn just by browsing the content and choosing shows.

I don't know, everybody told me that burn-in risk was a thing of the past for OLEDs, but it just don't seem like that is the case...
if someone says there is zero risk, and it's a thing of the past, that's untrue. With the precautions listed the risk is much lower than it used to be.
Equally if someone says you will definitely get image retention which will definitely turn into permanent "burn-in", that's also untrue.

With these TVs now, set up properly, you then need to be careless or reckless or very unlucky to get permanent "burn-in". None of us can predict if you'll be careless or reckless or very unlucky, and I agree with the point about anxiety. Because the risk is not zero, you need to decide what is best for you.
calfcramp, djoberg and alexbarbel like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #21665 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There was a recent update to the Amazon Video app here. It now supports the magic remote pointer a bit better in places.
chunon and panasonicst60 like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #21666 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7522 Post(s)
Liked: 7555
Quote:
Yep OLED's can get burn in, check out the master burn in thread here. After you do your re-search you will find it is rare........ Small price to pay for the best TV ever made...
calfcramp and djoberg like this.
post #21667 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I have had more than one TV repair guy tell me that they have seen Burn-In on all types. LCD, LED, Plasma, Cathrode tube, Front Projector, Rear Projector, and yes OLED.

Just use your head just a little bit and there won't be a problem.
parkman, panasonicst60 and Cam1977 like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #21668 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 237
The last few posts, I wanted to like and pick one to quote and respond. They are all so good about the info and suggestions on burn in, that I will type my opinion alone. I agree with if there is ANY anxiety over burn in with such a marvelous screen and in my opinion, the best technology out there, even over mini led, etc, etc.{I don't see any of these new screens and tech being able to outperform a technology that allows each and every pixel being turned on and off individually}. It should be returned to get something that won't burn in. You will be doing yourself a disservice, by keeping it. It will always be on your mind. IMO, not smart for such an expensive display!

On another note. 9 days until Chad comes to calibrate my set. I did some research and my last calibrator was only a certified 1 ISF calibrator, not 2. So I am looking forward to even a better calibration!
Glenee and alexbarbel like this.
post #21669 of 23645 Old 10-17-2019, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
The last few posts, I wanted to like and pick one to quote and respond. They are all so good about the info and suggestions on burn in, that I will type my opinion alone. I agree with if there is ANY anxiety over burn in with such a marvelous screen and in my opinion, the best technology out there, even over mini led, etc, etc.{I don't see any of these new screens and tech being able to outperform a technology that allows each and every pixel being turned on and off individually}. It should be returned to get something that won't burn in. You will be doing yourself a disservice, by keeping it. It will always be on your mind. IMO, not smart for such an expensive display!

On another note. 9 days until Chad comes to calibrate my set. I did some research and my last calibrator was only a certified 1 ISF calibrator, not 2. So I am looking forward to even a better calibration!
Curious as to your impressions of his calibration!
calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.
post #21670 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_oled View Post
yes, i did reset and pixel refresher. I figured, others may have had similar issues, that's why I posted here.
Thanks
I bet you have some fun tinting going on. Can we see a 100% white screen?
post #21671 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thank you to all your replies about the burn-in concern.

I have purchased a Sony 950G and i am testing it for a few days before i return either the C8 or the 950G.

I must say that is incredibly hard to return the C8, after getting used to the OLED imaged even a good LED looks kind of bad. The blacks and the contrasts are just not there.

There are a few things the 950G does better:

- Better motion;
- Better sharpness because of RealityCreation;
- Better brightness;

While the C8 has:

- Perfect blacks;
- Much better contrast;
- More vivid colors;

It is not going to be an easy decision, specially because i purchased the C8 for an incredibly good price, Costco was clearing up the 2018 models so the price difference between the C8 and the 950G is almost none. I am watching some movies and series in the next coulpe days to help me decide.

Cheers
post #21672 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Warranty Advice

Looking for some warranty advice on a 65B8, I posted this on the B8 forum but have not had any luck as that forum does not have much traffic.

My TV color temperature does not work if I switch to a built in app such as Netflix, Youtube, etc and when I switch back to HDMI 2 the color temperature does not work either, the only fix is to unplug the TV.

LG sent a technician to replace the mainboard and he spoke with LG and they said my [B]TV is fine and the color temperature is not supposed to work for the built in apps so he did not replace the board.

I know this is an outright lie but I am not sure what my next step should be as I can not get anywhere with their support as they told me the ticket is closed.

I would like this corrected so I can get my TV calibrated.

Any advice for those fighting a warranty claim, I have about two months left on the 1 year warranty.

Thanks,

Mike
post #21673 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 2
C8 horizon blurry/fuzzy picture with h264 native usb/plex playback.

Anyone with the same issue. There is some sort of horizon blurry line on edge of face, shirt with any video 720p, 1080p with h264 codec. This only happen when playing via LG default media player thru usb and via plex which use the LG native support to playback video. Video with a lot red show the worst, like red edge on spiderman suit. At first I thought it was the video setting, changing everything from motion, noise setting to super resolution does nothing. But I test the same video with native playback on ps4, chromecast. The picture edge are perfectly smooth. So I narrow it down to the native support of Lg video processing of h264 playback. The LG picture quality on native playback of 4k Hevc h265 is perfect.

For the first picture, look at the neck area between the shadow and chin. The second picture I attach below with spiderman show the smooth side on left and the fuzzy side to right. I drew a green line of what the edge between black and red look to me on each side. To me it look like soft scans line when watching video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ned.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	6.25 MB
ID:	2628962   Click image for larger version

Name:	461 6.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	6.54 MB
ID:	2628964  
post #21674 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0908 View Post
My TV color temperature does not work if I switch to a built in app such as Netflix, Youtube, etc and when I switch back to HDMI 2 the color temperature does not work either, the only fix is to unplug the TV.

This is a bug and it still exists on the latest firmware of the C8 too, I just reproduced it. It happens when the netflix app is running in the background. Color temperature changes will then become super slow even for other inputs.

What you can do is to close the netflix app by long pressing the home button then press the X at the netflix icon. Color temperature changes will then be instant again.

For some reason this bug does not happen when quick start+ is enabled even if the netflix app is running in the background, so that's another workaround. You need to restart the TV after enabling quick start+ though.
jasjw, gymnos and Mike0908 like this.
post #21675 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 2

white screen
Thanks.
post #21676 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_oled View Post

white screen
Thanks.
I don' t think your tint is so bad that it would change the colors like that, especially the hand, so you must have something else going on.

How about a calibration? Have you had that done, or copied someone's numbers into the color tables?
calfcramp likes this.
post #21677 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
This is a bug and it still exists on the latest firmware of the C8 too, I just reproduced it. It happens when the netflix app is running in the background. Color temperature changes will then become super slow even for other inputs.

What you can do is to close the netflix app by long pressing the home button then press the X at the netflix icon. Color temperature changes will then be instant again.

For some reason this bug does not happen when quick start+ is enabled even if the netflix app is running in the background, so that's another workaround. You need to restart the TV after enabling quick start+ though.
Awesome info thanks. This bug has bugged me all year (no pun intended).

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

LG OLED65C8
Dune Solo 4K
SKY Q
Xbox One X
Galaxy S10
post #21678 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Thanks for sharing. If I close the netflix app like you describe, I am able to change the color temp again on HDMI 2, appreciate the work around. If I enable quick start+ I still have to close the netflix app so it appears my TV behaves differently.

Just to clarify, you are not able to change the color temp at all on Netflix?

Mike
post #21679 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try closing the netflix app, enable quick start+, restart TV. For me this permanently fixes it, at least for non-netflix content.

I can't check if I can change the color temperature while playing netflix content as I currently don't have a subscription so I can only launch it up to the login screen.

edit: Nevermind, I just tried this again and the quick start+ trick only works if you leave the netflix app permanently running in the background. Once you close it and reopen it you will have the bugged color temp change again....

Last edited by jk82; 10-18-2019 at 04:10 PM.
post #21680 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking 29 View Post
Curious as to your impressions of his calibration!
I will leave a detailed impressioned post after he is done. I am very picky on certain things and TV's fit in that category.

Quote:

Are you sure it is a bug and not TV dependent or his might be defective? I tried all things and it all works for me! Maybe it has to do with different picture modes? I have my Netflix settings on Cinema and every option is available! This is with me being on the desktop with Netflix running in the background, or in Netflix itself! The firmware I have is 5.20.10 and would love to upgrade to the newest 5.10.20, but as everybody knows, that not going to happen!

Last edited by calfcramp; 10-18-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #21681 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will leave a detailed impressioned post after he is done. I am very picky on certain things and TV's fit in that category.
Cool . I'm sure the calibration will look great. Interested more on his process, and does he leave you with settings and a utility on a USB stick

Quote:
The firmware I have is 5.20.10 and would love to upgrade to the newest 5.10.20, but as everybody knows, that not going to happen!
Long shot but Mr ChadB might even have the secret knowledge on how to get into the USB Expert menu to do a firmware downgrade. Someone on the AV Forums said an LG service technician did it with some secret key presses on the service remote, which he's likely to have (many of us do but those keypresses allude us). Ask him at the start, NOT the end, obviously
calfcramp likes this.

post #21682 of 23645 Old 10-18-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you sure it is a bug and not TV dependent or his might be defective? I tried all things and it all works for me! Maybe it has to do with different picture modes? I have my Netflix settings on Cinema and every option is available! This is with me being on the desktop with Netflix running in the background, or in Netflix itself! The firmware I have is 5.20.10 and would love to upgrade to the newest 5.10.20, but as everybody knows, that not going to happen!
I don't think this is anything but a software/firmware bug. I think it was introduced with some fw update end of last year, thats when I had it happen the first time and others reported it too.
But maybe there is a difference between EU/US TV models. I have an EU one.

I actually didn't figure this out on my own but found it on the german forums and my TV behaves exactly like it was described there. Netflix app running in the background = bugged/slow color temperature change, even for other inputs...

When quick start+ is enabled it will not bug out but only if you leave the netflix app running in the background permanently. Once you force close and reopen it, it will still bug the color temperature, even with quick start+ enabled.

Last edited by jk82; 10-18-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #21683 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Can you screen mirror your iPhone 11 to an LG C8? Do you need AirPlay 2?
post #21684 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I can mirror all iphones and ipads on my BD player, my LG C8, my Roku, and others.
post #21685 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I can mirror all iphones and ipads on my BD player, my LG C8, my Roku, and others.
Could to tell me how because I can't figure it out?
post #21686 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You have to have all devices on the same network. Also note NOT all programs and/or applications go directly to a mirroring device. Cable company, youtube, VEVO, netflix and a couple work. I presume if the same application is loaded on LGC8 and you are registered into the network, then it should be present on your hand held mobile device.

Last edited by tanman; 10-19-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #21687 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Yep. The easiest way is to have an ATV and just use Airplay (don't need Airplay 2) on the same network thru the ATV.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #21688 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yep. The easiest way is to have an ATV and just use Airplay (don't need Airplay 2) on the same network thru the ATV.
Both my iPhone, C8, and AVR are connected to my WIFI. On Thursday I loaded the Fox Sports App on my iPhone to stream the football game in 4K. When I tapped the Airplay icon, it streamed the audio only on the AVR, no video. I wasn't given the option to choose my C8 and I can't figure out why I'm getting audio only from the AirPlay App on my AVR.
post #21689 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ CEC /ARC issues maybe?
post #21690 of 23645 Old 10-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post
Both my iPhone, C8, and AVR are connected to my WIFI. On Thursday I loaded the Fox Sports App on my iPhone to stream the football game in 4K. When I tapped the Airplay icon, it streamed the audio only on the AVR, no video. I wasn't given the option to choose my C8 and I can't figure out why I'm getting audio only from the AirPlay App on my AVR.
My receiver has Airplay as well (in fact I think it got upgraded to Airplay 2 recently). When I was playing around with the receiver when it was new I could never really get the receiver's Airplay to work well. It was so much easier and problem-free to use Airplay via the ATV4k so I don't bother with it on the receiver. All of our devices are on the same network and I use the receiver as the hub so external devices are connected to it first, and both of my receiver's (I have two HTS's) are hardwired. It could also be the FOX Sport app which can be lame at times. Some apps don't allow full streaming (audio and video) via Airplay. Have you tried to stream anything else from a different app to your receiver?

I just saw taxman's response. I don't use ARC/CEC on any of my systems and still could never get the receiver's Airplay to work reliably. Airplay -> ATV4k -> receiver -> C8 works perfectly everytime.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 10-19-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page