2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 724 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81110Likes

post #21691 of 22210 Old 10-19-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3526 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurolicious View Post
This app is the only one I've tried. I also tried the Screen Share option on the C8 but it doesn't recognize the iPhone. I suppose I could just hard wire the iPhone to the C8 via USB but I shouldn't have to.
Don't know what to tell ya then. I did edit my post so if you didn't see the edit before you posted, my setup for Airplay is this : any iOS device using Airplay -> ATV4 or 4k -> receiver -> C8. Airplay is disabled on the receiver because I don't need it. Try another app and see what happens.

ARC/CEC is disabled on my systems. Both of my iOS devices are running iOS 13.1.2 and the laptop is running OS 10.12.6.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 10-19-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21692 of 22210 Old 10-19-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ Also check compatibility to 4K sources, devices and HDMI cable runs. In my chain, only the TV, and TiVo are 4K. I did have to fiddle around with CEC/ARC a bit for sound to be used on an older device. But they all work good together now.
Thank you.
calfcramp likes this.
post #21693 of 22210 Old 10-19-2019, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by luizffgarcia View Post
Thank you to all your replies about the burn-in concern.

I have purchased a Sony 950G and i am testing it for a few days before i return either the C8 or the 950G.

I must say that is incredibly hard to return the C8, after getting used to the OLED imaged even a good LED looks kind of bad. The blacks and the contrasts are just not there.

There are a few things the 950G does better:

- Better motion;
- Better sharpness because of RealityCreation;
- Better brightness;

While the C8 has:

- Perfect blacks;
- Much better contrast;
- More vivid colors;

It is not going to be an easy decision, specially because i purchased the C8 for an incredibly good price, Costco was clearing up the 2018 models so the price difference between the C8 and the 950G is almost none. I am watching some movies and series in the next coulpe days to help me decide.

Cheers
So, after trying the 950G for a few days i turned the C8 back on, and geez i cannot return it, i decided to keep the C8 and hope for the best.

I have set my oled light setting to 30 for normal content with those embedded yellow subtitles, hope this is sufficient to avoid the problem. i was also reading that master oled burnin thread and apparently LG is replacing 2 / 3 year old panels for free! I am so surprised they are doing that, good to know it is an option but i really hope i will not need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21694 of 22210 Old 10-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Cool . I'm sure the calibration will look great. Interested more on his process, and does he leave you with settings and a utility on a USB stick

Long shot but Mr ChadB might even have the secret knowledge on how to get into the USB Expert menu to do a firmware downgrade. Someone on the AV Forums said an LG service technician did it with some secret key presses on the service remote, which he's likely to have (many of us do but those keypresses allude us). Ask him at the start, NOT the end, obviously
Don't worry, I will., I also have the Service Remote as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I don't think this is anything but a software/firmware bug. I think it was introduced with some fw update end of last year, thats when I had it happen the first time and others reported it too.
But maybe there is a difference between EU/US TV models. I have an EU one.

I actually didn't figure this out on my own but found it on the german forums and my TV behaves exactly like it was described there. Netflix app running in the background = bugged/slow color temperature change, even for other inputs...

When quick start+ is enabled it will not bug out but only if you leave the netflix app running in the background permanently. Once you force close and reopen it, it will still bug the color temperature, even with quick start+ enabled.
It might be a region thing. I have a US model.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #21695 of 22210 Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6781 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0908 View Post

Any advice for those fighting a warranty claim, I have about two months left on the 1 year warranty.
Where did you buy the TV? Ask the dealer you bought from to reach out to there contact at LG and help out?
post #21696 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiz Felipe Franco Garcia View Post
So, after trying the 950G for a few days i turned the C8 back on, and geez i cannot return it, i decided to keep the C8 and hope for the best.

I have set my oled light setting to 30 for normal content with those embedded yellow subtitles, hope this is sufficient to avoid the problem. i was also reading that master oled burnin thread and apparently LG is replacing 2 / 3 year old panels for free! I am so surprised they are doing that, good to know it is an option but i really hope i will not need it.
Be careful but try not to stress about the subtitles. Enjoy your TV. It's difficult to resist the contrast that an OLED gives and in a side to side it's always going to win.

I know you said that English isn't your first language but you write it extremely well and I wonder if you could possibly work towards not needing subtitles ? For me having to read subtitles really detracts from the experience of watching a movie as I am a great fan of cinematography and spend a lot of time scanning everything on the screen. I'm unable to do this when watching out for, and reading subtitles.

Good luck !
calfcramp likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #21697 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Fire TV loses HDMI CEC

Hey guys,

I know HDMI CEC is despised here but it works great for my setup. Anyways, I have my Fire TV directly connected to my TV and HDMI CEC enabled. Typically, this means that I can tell Alexa to play a show and it'd turn on the TV, change the TV input to the Fire TV input and start playing the show automatically which is great. However, for some reason, this TV keeps losing its HDMI CEC connection to the Fire TV which prevents the Fire TV from both turning the TV on and changing the input. It doesn't lose the connection to my Chromecast so it's pretty weird. Also, my Fire TV doesn't lose its HDMI CEC connection with my bedroom Samsung KS8000 TV.

Anyone know how to force this TV to maintain its HDMI CEC connection to the Fire TV?

Thanks
post #21698 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Be careful but try not to stress about the subtitles. Enjoy your TV. It's difficult to resist the contrast that an OLED gives and in a side to side it's always going to win.

I know you said that English isn't your first language but you write it extremely well and I wonder if you could possibly work towards not needing subtitles ? For me having to read subtitles really detracts from the experience of watching a movie as I am a great fan of cinematography and spend a lot of time scanning everything on the screen. I'm unable to do this when watching out for, and reading subtitles.

Good luck !
Thanks, yes i absolutely agree with you that subtitles are distracting. I am actually able to watch movies without them but my wife is not quite there yet, i am definitely looking forward for disabling all subtitles as soon as she catches up.

I am also using that zoom feature to avoid displaying the red TLC logo, my wife also loves to watch that channel and that logo is ridiculously red and solid. I wish tv networks were more considering with plasma and oled owners, such a ridiculous thing to have a logo like that...
post #21699 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5066 Post(s)
Liked: 7389
I'd like to post in favour of subtitles, they are getting dissed here! I speak only English (well, Welsh doesn't count LOL) and can't learn every language on the planet and I don't think it's "the solution" to expect people to. Great if you can, sure.

But without subtitles I wouldn't be able to enjoy fantastic movies from many countries all around the world. (American remakes in the English language are normally awful in comparison to the original). I would encourage people to let them "sink in" to your mind as you watch; it's a mental leap but once you've got there they are more or less invisible to me now.

There was someone on another thread raving about the HDR 4K disc of Pan's Labyrinth; arguably the greatest film of the whole of 2006. He hadn't seen it before! I'm delighted he has now, yet at the same time very sorry that he felt that the subtitles were a barrier to him watching it before now. All that time, missing out on a wonderful experience and amazing story.

The reason for this post isn't to try and change anyone's mind really. Just to say "please do keep trying if you can, as you are missing out" . I found I had to go through a very long period of annoyance, and I'm relieved that I didn't give up early.
calfcramp and TimRex like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #21700 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd like to post in favour of subtitles, they are getting dissed here! I speak only English (well, Welsh doesn't count LOL) and can't learn every language on the planet and I don't think it's "the solution" to expect people to. Great if you can, sure.

But without subtitles I wouldn't be able to enjoy fantastic movies from many countries all around the world. (American remakes in the English language are normally awful in comparison to the original). I would encourage people to let them "sink in" to your mind as you watch; it's a mental leap but once you've got there they are more or less invisible to me now.

There was someone on another thread raving about the HDR 4K disc of Pan's Labyrinth; arguably the greatest film of the whole of 2006. He hadn't seen it before! I'm delighted he has now, yet at the same time very sorry that he felt that the subtitles were a barrier to him watching it before now. All that time, missing out on a wonderful experience and amazing story.

The reason for this post isn't to try and change anyone's mind really. Just to say "please do keep trying if you can, as you are missing out" . I found I had to go through a very long period of annoyance, and I'm relieved that I didn't give up early.
Don't get me wrong, I will watch a film with subtitles if that is the only way but it does detract from the cinematography. A lot of us on here are very keen for our movies to be displayed how the creators intended and subtitles applied after the event doesn't seem to fit although there are some dual language films that do employ subtitles.
djoberg and mrtickleuk like this.

post #21701 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I will watch a film with subtitles if that is the only way but it does detract from the cinematography. A lot of us on here are very keen for our movies to be displayed how the creators intended and subtitles applied after the event doesn't seem to fit although there are some dual language films that do employ subtitles.
Yes, fair enough. That's the great thing about DVD/Blu-Ray/4K Blu-Ray. We can all choose subtitles or a dubbed soundtrack in many cases, as we prefer

There's another facet too; in many cases the dubbed soundtrack is only stereo 2.0 whilst the original one (that needs subtitles) is full 5.1. So I want to enjoy the full audio as intended...
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #21702 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Yes, fair enough. That's the great thing about DVD/Blu-Ray/4K Blu-Ray. We can all choose subtitles or a dubbed soundtrack in many cases, as we prefer

There's another facet too; in many cases the dubbed soundtrack is only stereo 2.0 whilst the original one (that needs subtitles) is full 5.1. So I want to enjoy the full audio as intended...
A lot of dubbed soundtracks the lip sync is so bad that I find it unwatchable
post #21703 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I've become quite accustomed to subtitles in recent years, even for English language content.

In fact, I usually only turn them off if they seem to be entirely inaccurate (I'm not sure how subtitles in the same language as the audio can diverge quite so much, it's quite baffling).

Maybe I'm getting hard of hearing, but in a lot of cases you'll have additional background dialogue that has been mixed out or otherwise inaudible. I feel like I'm getting more than everyone else

I couldn't help but notice either... Star Trek series on Netflix has Klingon subtitles LOL! And the original DVD's for the IT Crowd have l33tsp34k, sadly not on Netflix though.

My only issue is subtitles with HDR content, they can be practically retina searing (if not OLED searing).
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #21704 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbenrus25 View Post
Hey guys,

I know HDMI CEC is despised here but it works great for my setup. Anyways, I have my Fire TV directly connected to my TV and HDMI CEC enabled. Typically, this means that I can tell Alexa to play a show and it'd turn on the TV, change the TV input to the Fire TV input and start playing the show automatically which is great. However, for some reason, this TV keeps losing its HDMI CEC connection to the Fire TV which prevents the Fire TV from both turning the TV on and changing the input. It doesn't lose the connection to my Chromecast so it's pretty weird. Also, my Fire TV doesn't lose its HDMI CEC connection with my bedroom Samsung KS8000 TV.

Anyone know how to force this TV to maintain its HDMI CEC connection to the Fire TV?

Thanks
@mrtickleuk pls do you know if the LG has a similar feature to the KS8000 where one can permanently assign an input to a device? For instance, on the KS8000, I could change the input name of HDMI3 to "Fire TV" and the TV would then remember that and try to control the Fire TV using HDMI CEC.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #21705 of 22210 Old 10-20-2019, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Where did you buy the TV? Ask the dealer you bought from to reach out to there contact at LG and help out?
I got the TV from Best Buy, I doubt they would be much help. Sounds like this is a software bug.

Can anyone with a US model confirm they are not able to change the color temperature on Netflix.

Thanks
post #21706 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I recently had a power outage here for a few hours and when the power came back on I started getting error messages. First was a message saying the date and time was wrong but when I checked, the auto time set was set to on. Then my C8 said my WIFI was not connected so I manually reconnected but the next day it was disconnected again. Now the voice command doesn't work.

Could the power outage have messed with the software?
post #21707 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 115
probably just did a hard reset of the Tv. Get a battery back up for your tv. I have them on all my gear and each of my two OLEDS. They protect against surges and if there is an outage of any sort the tv is not effected. You just turn the tv off yourself normally.

This simple one will protect your tv, blu ray player, cable box etc....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rdgcss likes this.
post #21708 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ghost in My Machine???

I have two 2018 LGs in my house, my C8 and an LCD model 6500 in my bedroom. The LCD is automatically turning itself on at 5:30 am almost every day. I can't figure out what is triggering this!

The timers in the Settings-General are all OFF and grayed out. Mobile connection was never set-up. This is a free-standing house and the closest neighbors don't own LGs. The C8 is on a Harmony hub, but the problem TV is not.

If I take the CAT 5 cable out, that does fix the problem, so its seems to be getting the ON command with and IP command and/or some home automation. I have an Echo but I disabled all the LG skills (which can only turn the TV "off" anyhow). I also looked at the Echos history and I'm not seeing anything there.

How can I find out the where this Turn-On command is coming from? I'd like to plug the CAT 5 back in to use the smart features.
post #21709 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Harmony Hub has a timer setting within the phone app. Was that possibly turned on?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #21710 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Do you guys know if the compensation cycles will run if the TV is not turned off with the power button, but instead turned off by CEC when a Nvidia Shield sleeps?

I bet it does since the software is the one turning the TV off, right?
post #21711 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
The Harmony Hub has a timer setting within the phone app. Was that possibly turned on?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
No, it’s not that, but thanks for having me check that feature. I never knew that Harmony Activities Scheduler existed. It was never activated, plus the TV with the issue isn’t on the hub. Any other ideas like that?
post #21712 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anybody having WiFi AC issues on the C8 since the latest update? I always worked perfectly for me with speeds 100Mb+, but since the latest update WiFi has been horrible for me, 2 Mb or less, almost unusable, lots of stuttering. The WiFi is super fast on all my other devices and on my phone next to the TV it hits 200MB, so the wifi network isn't the issue.

The weird thing is that when using 802.11n instead of AC, the speeds are actually higher, even though the reception is worse. Around 50Mb.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed something like this? Because it's really annoying and it was never an issue before the update.
post #21713 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Can't fault you there.
For me a great story line comes first, then great acting, followed closely by cinematography and a good soundtrack.
If you get all four then you have died and gone to heaven.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

post #21714 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luizffgarcia View Post
Do you guys know if the compensation cycles will run if the TV is not turned off with the power button, but instead turned off by CEC when a Nvidia Shield sleeps?

I bet it does since the software is the one turning the TV off, right?
I know that it's certainly intended to run regardless of how the TV is put into standby. In fact, one of the release notes in one of the firmware updates was specifically to fix an issue related to this sort of thing:
6) Adding Compensation function in OLED model Auto Off condition
To me, that implies that if the TV put itself into Standby with "auto off" (in the Eco Mode menu in General), it wasn't running its compensation cycles, and they fixed it.

Quote:
Can't fault you there.
For me a great story line comes first, then great acting, followed closely by cinematography and a good soundtrack.
Absolutely! Try telling that to the people on some of the threads here (loudest bass, best HDR etc threads) - they will watch some absolute STINKERS, some of the worst movies in the world (by consensus, not just critics but very very low user ratings on RT and IMDB etc), all because they look and sound nice. Fine for a 5 minute demo of your system, but to put yourself and your family through 90+ minutes of dirge? I just can't understand it, and believe me I've tried. Oh well, each to his own!
calfcramp and alexbarbel like this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 10-21-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #21715 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I have read somewhere that LG is now offering a 2 year warranty for their panels, so i decided to quickly chat with them and here is their reply:

"I understand you are concerned about the burn in issues on our OLED Panels. This is the reason why we have added another year for the panel which makes the OLED panel under warranty for 2 years. However, the second year warranty covers only the panel part and customers are responsible for the labor."

This is very good news, hopefully we will never need it thou
post #21716 of 22210 Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
[/B]Can't fault you there.
I have that same exact order, except acting and storyline are reversed. My opinion is that since movies have been mainstream(1929, first academy awards, IMO}, Most plots stink and great acting can make an otherwise horrible film watchable. It's all subjective, of course!

Quote:
I know that it's certainly intended to run regardless of how the TV is put into standby. In fact, one of the release notes in one of the firmware updates was specifically to fix an issue related to this sort of thing:
6) Adding Compensation function in OLED model Auto Off condition
To me, that implies that if the TV put itself into Standby with "auto off" (in the Eco Mode menu in General), it wasn't running its compensation cycles, and they fixed it.

Absolutely! Try telling that to the people on some of the threads here (loudest bass, best HDR etc threads) - they will watch some absolute STINKERS, some of the worst movies in the world (by consensus, not just critics but very very low user ratings on RT and IMDB etc), all because they look and sound nice. Fine for a 5 minute demo of your system, but to put yourself and your family through 90+ minutes of dirge? I just can't understand it, and believe me I've tried. Oh well, each to his own!
Agreed completely! Demo's are great for horrible films, lol! Just make sure to turn it off fast!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #21717 of 22210 Old 10-22-2019, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
Ghost in My Machine???

I have two 2018 LGs in my house, my C8 and an LCD model 6500 in my bedroom. The LCD is automatically turning itself on at 5:30 am almost every day.

I'm not sure about the LCD but C8 and B8 can be waken up by a standard WoL command and this works even via WiFi.
Maybe some device does schedule this in your network.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)

Last edited by chros73; 10-22-2019 at 03:34 AM.
post #21718 of 22210 Old 10-22-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post

I'm not sure about the LCD but C8 and B8 can be waken up by a standard WoL command and this works even via WiFi.
Maybe some device does schedule this in your network.
How can I tell if I'm getting a WoL? Today the TV turned on at 5:25 am again and there are no timers set and, even stranger, my network icon idicates "Not Connected". BTW the GUI and feature set for my LCD and my C8 are identical. So frustrating.
post #21719 of 22210 Old 10-22-2019, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
How can I tell if I'm getting a WoL? Today the TV turned on at 5:25 am again and there are no timers set and, even stranger, my network icon idicates "Not Connected". BTW the GUI and feature set for my LCD and my C8 are identical. So frustrating.
You can't tell on the TV. Try this out tonight and see what happens:
- unplug the ethernet cable
- switch off the wifi completely in the TV

In this case it shouldn't wake up by any network command at all. If it will be still on, then something else is the problem (e.g. wall socket timer, etc.).

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #21720 of 22210 Old 10-22-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Some device must be sending a signal to turn on the TV. Either a WoL from the network or a CEC control from a connected device. I'd start by disconnecting devices from your network (or powering them off) and/or unplugging HDMI connected devices from your TV - one per night. This could take several nights depending on how many things you have on your network. Eventually you'll find the offending device.
chros73 and mrtickleuk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page