2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 752 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81518Likes

post #22531 of 22931 Old 12-11-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3158 Post(s)
Liked: 3891
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Ditto!

It's been awhile since I chimed in but I just have to say, "This display seems to look better and better everyday; I LOVE it!" In saying this, keep in mind I've had it for nearly a year and a half. The only real problem I'm having is with banding and that's usually while streaming 4K material (though I occasionally see it on satellite broadcasts too).

Has anyone here seen the Amazon Prime original Britannia? It's in 4K and the PQ is incredible. The downside is the "gratuitous violence" (too much GORE for these eyes) and the language is quite bad too. I often wonder if they actually used F-bombs in that era.
Havent heard of Britania...but gonna check it out tonight...just got done finishing V Wars on netflix in DV and thought it was pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22532 of 22931 Old 12-11-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^trust me, Im way out of the way of most professionals who tour the country...or else I would have had one by now.

With this unit being great right out of the box, I really would not be able to tell the minor changes that occur even with cal.
calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.
post #22533 of 22931 Old 12-11-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5388 Post(s)
Liked: 7783
Quote:
Has anyone here seen the Amazon Prime original Britannia? It's in 4K and the PQ is incredible. The downside is the "gratuitous violence" (too much GORE for these eyes) and the language is quite bad too. I often wonder if they actually used F-bombs in that era.
I've looked and Britannia is not "included with Prime" here in the UK, but I have a huge backlog of stuff to watch so probably not a big issue! Actually I don't have any problem whatsoever with strong language (I prefer the term "bad" language to be reserved for words like "rape" and "kill", and never as a judgement against harsh words) especially if it's in context.

My favourite clip which makes this point is an old advert from the UK broadcast regulator in the 1990s - I hope this isn't blocked over there for you guys. It was prompted because there was a "hard core" of very religious pro-censorship people who would write in and complain about every single use of strong language, even when it was completely justified. These people had the attitude of "it shouldn't be on television ever, period" and it was a relief when "common sense" arrived

npsacobra likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 12-12-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22534 of 22931 Old 12-11-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3668 Post(s)
Liked: 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
I've looked and Britannia is not "included with Prime" here in the UK, but I have a huge backlog of stuff to watch so probably not a big issue! Actually I don't have any problem whatsoever with strong language (I prefer the term "bad" language to be reserved for words like "rape" and "kill", and never as a judgement against harsh words) especially if it's in context.

My favourite clip which makes this point is an old advert from the UK broadcast regulator in the 1990s - I hope this isn't blocked over there for you guys. It was prompted because there was a "hard core" of very religious pro-censorship people who would write in and complain about every single use of strong language, even when it was completely justified. These people had the attitude of "it shouldn't be on television ever, period" and it was a relief when "common sense" arrived

https://youtu.be/NrSECcj5V7w
Uhh Chief, that was not my quote but the info is appreciated none the less.
Cam1977 likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #22535 of 22931 Old 12-11-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
With this unit being great right out of the box, I really would not be able to tell the minor changes that occur even with cal.
Oh I agree totally, but ive always been curious how much more I could push out of this set.
post #22536 of 22931 Old 12-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked: 3908
2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Oh I agree totally, but ive always been curious how much more I could push out of this set.

Even if the set is dialed in out of the box it most definitely drifts as the panel ages, my panel moved towards red pretty significantly in the first 1000 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calfcramp and Cam1977 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #22537 of 22931 Old 12-11-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^man Im glad I dont know how to check for that! Ive always wanted to learn a bit of DIY, but from what ive read here the equipment can get expensive, and tbh I dont think I have an eye for it.
tanman, Glenee and chunon like this.
post #22538 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Ummm, don't be so sure. I have had 3 calibrations done since june of 18. First was from Best Buy, long battle. Short story, after about 2 months, got my money back. Second was in November of last year. Really nice, wasn't blown away but content and can see the difference. Then, like an idiot, a NOOBIE{Ashamed, I am}, I reset my OLED. Not thinking it was going to do a full factory reset, lost all my settings. I was eye bleeding for a few weeks and my getting super lucky, Chad B was here in Dallas, he was booked through, but he made an exception after talking to him. I now know 2 things...

1. The Calibrator that does it makes a HUGE difference.
2. IMO, out of the box by factory may look good to people's eyes, but if you are wanting that perfect accurate picture quality, with the POP that OLED'S give you, a professional and a good one, needs to be used!
LCSeminole, Chad B, tanman and 3 others like this.
post #22539 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2329 Post(s)
Liked: 3202
Quote:
^trust me, Im way out of the way of most professionals who tour the country...or else I would have had one by now.

Aren't you the guy who decided to go to Vegas instead of having DNice calibrate your display
Where are your priorities??
Cam1977 likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #22540 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Most of these like other electronics eventually run out of making any further updates, either they have saturated all software corrections to the unit based on the hardware and/or their newer hardware is better with previous issues corrected. And they also are hoping you purchase a newer unit. But until then I am not calibrating. Besides everyone seeing it for the first time is in WOW!
Cam1977 likes this.
post #22541 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7032 Post(s)
Liked: 7066
Quote:
Most of these like other electronics eventually run out of making any further updates, either they have saturated all software corrections to the unit based on the hardware and/or their newer hardware is better with previous issues corrected. And they also are hoping you purchase a newer unit. But until then I am not calibrating. Besides everyone seeing it for the first time is in WOW!
Yep, calibration is a choice but it certainly does help
calfcramp likes this.
post #22542 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Aren't you the guy who decided to go to Vegas instead of having DNice calibrate your display
Where are your priorities??
That was the other halfs fault lol🤣
smurraybhm likes this.
post #22543 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 138
This question has probably been asked before, but when using the ps4 HDR adjust, which I understand to be hgig console settings, should we set dynamic tone mapping to on or off? I normally only use dynamic tone mapping for game mode, otherwise I leave it off. I'm mostly confused because our televisions don't have an option to output hgig in the dynamic tone mapping setting like the 9 series. From what I've read only No Man's Sky takes advantage of the option, with future and patched games to come later. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited by chronitis; 12-12-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #22544 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronitis View Post
This question has probably been asked before, but when using the ps4 HDR adjust, which I understand to be hgig console settings, should we set dynamic tone mapping to on or off? I normally only use dynamic tone mapping for game mode, otherwise I leave it off. I'm mostly confused because our televisions don't have an option to output hgig in the dynamic tone mapping setting like the 9 series. From what I've read only No Man's Sky takes advantage of the option, with future and patched games to come later. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Dynamic TM off, and configure in the console's HGIG adjustment screens. Let the console do the dynamic stuff at its end. If you allow the TV to dynamically change the TM, it'll fight the console.

All the C9's HGIG value does is to do a "hard clip" instead of any tone-mapping. This is desirable so that the game has the most leeway in what it does. But the great thing - in the future when more supported - about the HGIG system is that it's a database of TV's tone-curves on the consoles, so as long as you tell your PS4 you have an LG C8 (and it can even read it from the HDMI EDID) it'll know what the fixed tone-curve of the TV is (as long as Dynamic TM is off) and so can tone-map in the game correctly.

There's a very nice PDF explaining how HGIG is intended to work overall on their website: https://www.hgig.org/doc/ForBetterHDRGaming.pdf
calfcramp likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 12-12-2019 at 05:26 PM.
post #22545 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Uhh Chief, that was not my quote but the info is appreciated none the less.
Whoops! Sorry, I did have a bit of hassle with the quoting on that one
calfcramp likes this.

post #22546 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Whoops! Sorry, I did have a bit of hassle with the quoting on that one
No apologies necessary. I still struggle a bit with multiple quotes so I don't even bother with them anymore.
calfcramp, Cam1977 and mrtickleuk like this.

post #22547 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Quote:
Strictly speaking, I don't believe in "censorship" either if it is truly a case of being, as you say, "in context." This is why I ended my post by saying, "I often wonder if they (the Romans during the Roman Empire) actually used F-bombs in that era." I ended up doing a "Google Search" on that subject and most, if not all, links that addressed that issue said the F-word wasn't even in existence at that time. Here is quote that substantiates that view:

"The f-word is of Germanic origin, related to Dutch, German, and Swedish words for 'to strike' and 'to move back and forth.' It first appears, though, only in the 16th century, in a manuscript of the Latin orator Cicero."

Other links veered somewhat from that view but no one that I read attributed the word to the Romans and none said emphatically that it was in usage during the Roman Empire during their war campaigns against other countries to conquer and grow the Roman Empire. So, if this is truly the case, then hearing F-bombs in Amazon Prime's Britannia is NOT "in context." They are simply employing that language because, sadly, people are so used to hearing it today, especially in action movies involving wars, crime dramas, etc.
calfcramp, Cam1977 and mrtickleuk like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 12-12-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #22548 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Indeed. I do go along with artistic licence and updating things, though - an example being "Deadwood". At the time, the characters' real-life insults were words like "nincompoop" which are very tame today. But if the Deadwood writers had used the correct words for true accuracy, even though they were shocking hard-hitting words at the time, they would have sounded ludicrous to a modern audience (as demonstrated by the ITC video I linked). That's why they substituted the equivalent modern-day insults, words of equivalent impact, but words we know they wouldn't have used. It was no longer "accurate", but delivered the required impact.

If the Britannia writers have done similar, I completely understand why, and I support it/have no problem at all with it.
calfcramp and alexbarbel like this.

post #22549 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
I see your point regarding "artistic license." If the Britannia writers were indeed using artistic license in using the F-Word, it begs the question, "What word(s) did the Romans use back in the first few centuries (and even in the centuries in B. C. times) that they thought weren't offensive enough for today's audiences?" My understanding is that the Romans could be quite "barbaric" in speech. Their culture was one of low morals and thus I'm sure they spoke "words" that were quite shocking to the ears, even for today's audiences (though they would have not have been using our English language...it would have either been in Latin or Greek).

For the record, as a Christian I do avoid listening to "gratuitous language." As you may know (as one who frequents the Blu-ray PQ Thread where I often write reviews for Picture Quality), I have declined renting movies such as The Wolf of Wall Street due to its excessive use of F-bombs (and other language). I do realize it may be "in context," but this is a personal choice of mine. I do not call upon others to avoid them nor do I sit in judgment upon my fellow AVS members.
Steff3 and Cam1977 like this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #22550 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Strictly speaking, I don't believe in "censorship" either if it is truly a case of being, as you say, "in context." This is why I ended my post by saying, "I often wonder if they (the Romans during the Roman Empire) actually used F-bombs in that era." I ended up doing a "Google Search" on that subject and most, if not all, links that addressed that issue said the F-word wasn't even in existence at that time. Here is quote that substantiates that view:

"The f-word is of Germanic origin, related to Dutch, German, and Swedish words for 'to strike' and 'to move back and forth.' It first appears, though, only in the 16th century, in a manuscript of the Latin orator Cicero."

Other links veered somewhat from that view but no one that I read attributed the word to the Romans and none said emphatically that it was in usage during the Roman Empire during their war campaigns against other countries to conquer and grow the Roman Empire. So, if this is truly the case, then hearing F-bombs in Amazon Prime's Britannia is NOT "in context." They are simply employing that language because, sadly, people are so used to hearing it today, especially in action movies involving wars, crime dramas, etc.
While it existed form the 16th forward it was not considered profanity in the US until the solders came home after WW1
calfcramp likes this.
post #22551 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Indeed. I do go along with artistic licence and updating things, though - an example being "Deadwood".
All right Birmingham c**ksucker we're getting pretty far off topic.

How about we talk about plasma burn in vs OLED "burn in" seems like it's apples and oranges? ☺
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #22552 of 22931 Old 12-12-2019, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Advanced settings for the TV itself, not the HDMI inputs?

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction here, I tried all the relevant search terms I could think of to find it myself, but was overwhelmed with the volume of results. This is a long thread!

I'm working on dialing in a 65" C8, I think so far I have used RTINGS suggestions for my HDMI inputs, and they have given me a good beginning point on improvements. My problem is, there are a few 4K apps on the smarTV itself we like to use (connected equipment is only HD at present) but the finer settings that you can get into for the HDMI inputs, well, I can't find them when I am using menu for the display itself. I'd really like to see the same menus and adjustments for the panel for when we use the apps, that is available for the HDMI inputs..

Am I doing something wrong? Are they simply not there? If they are, any kind of a lead on how I can narrow my search to actually find the needed info would really be appreciated.

Thank you
post #22553 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 110
As I know many of you either have had previous OLED’s or have knowledge of them so I thought I’d ask about something I’m curious about. I’ve just read that the aspect ratio being locked to original within the tv’s Netflix app isn’t a Netflix issue as I assumed, rather an LG OLED issue. I was wondering if any of you knew which OLED model this issue was introduced in? Thanks in advance! 🙂
post #22554 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
As I know many of you either have had previous OLED’s or have knowledge of them so I thought I’d ask about something I’m curious about. I’ve just read that the aspect ratio being locked to original within the tv’s Netflix app isn’t a Netflix issue as I assumed, rather an LG OLED issue. I was wondering if any of you knew which OLED model this issue was introduced in? Thanks in advance! 🙂
I hadn't heard that. I just have my C8 set to 16:9 Aspect Ratio and Just Scan (for 1:1 pixel matching) set to On. However, I don't use the internal NF app so maybe it's different for external sources.

post #22555 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With the latest .40 update I did notice the show I was watching the peoples faces turned less red than the last version. I'm not sure others with calibration gear noticed this also or maybe just my old eyes!
post #22556 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With the latest .40 update I did notice the show I was watching the peoples faces turned less red than the last version. I'm not sure others with calibration gear noticed this also or maybe just my old eyes!
Confession time. A while ago I noticed that my "White Balance" options was greyed out... this is in my 3d-lut calibrated mode SDR Cinema, but I used Teddd's new method which keeps the existing factory 1DLUT and doesn't grey out that option. I was puzzled but dismissed it.

I found it greyed in many other modes, tried a reboot, it was still locked.

I resigned myself that it could be a bug, and more or less decided to do a factory reset next time I calibrate to get it unlocked.

I found the cause last week - I had turned on "Eye Comfort Mode"! I did it late one evening and then forgot about it for weeks!

There is NO visible clue that this option is turned on - you have to specifically go into the "Additional Settings" menu in Picture, and check it.

Hope this helps someone else one day
tanman, calfcramp and toddRiffic like this.

post #22557 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Confession time. A while ago I noticed that my "White Balance" options was greyed out... this is in my 3d-lut calibrated mode SDR Cinema, but I used Teddd's new method which keeps the existing factory 1DLUT and doesn't grey out that option. I was puzzled but dismissed it.

I found it greyed in many other modes, tried a reboot, it was still locked.

I resigned myself that it could be a bug, and more or less decided to do a factory reset next time I calibrate to get it unlocked.

I found the cause last week - I had turned on "Eye Comfort Mode"! I did it late one evening and then forgot about it for weeks!

There is NO visible clue that this option is turned on - you have to specifically go into the "Additional Settings" menu in Picture, and check it.

Hope this helps someone else one day
Yep. I discovered quite some time ago that Motion Eye Care needs to be disabled before one is allowed access to the White balance. I have it bolded in my notes as things to check after updates in case the update enables it for whatever reason.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #22558 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
As I know many of you either have had previous OLED’️s or have knowledge of them so I thought I’️d ask about something I’️m curious about. I’️ve just read that the aspect ratio being locked to original within the tv’️s Netflix app isn’️t a Netflix issue as I assumed, rather an LG OLED issue. I was wondering if any of you knew which OLED model this issue was introduced in? Thanks in advance! 🙂
I hadn't heard that. I just have my C8 set to 16:9 Aspect Ratio and Just Scan (for 1:1 pixel matching) set to On. However, I don't use the internal NF app so maybe it's different for external sources.
Yes this is only an internal Netflix app issue I believe. I thought it was a Netflix app issue locking at first until I read a review stating a previous OLED’s software didn’t lock it like this.
post #22559 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Yes this is only an internal Netflix app issue I believe. I thought it was a Netflix app issue locking at first until I read a review stating a previous OLED’s software didn’t lock it like this.
Hmmm. Another reason for me not to use the internal apps. Not to create any controversy here but I've never been a fan of internal apps, at least for my use.

post #22560 of 22931 Old 12-13-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes this is only an internal Netflix app issue I believe. I thought it was a Netflix app issue locking at first until I read a review stating a previous OLED’️s software didn’️t lock it like this.
Hmmm. Another reason for me not to use the internal apps. Not to create any controversy here but I've never been a fan of internal apps, at least for my use.
Yeah, I sincerely wish I didn’t have it in my head it’s the best quality just to not have to go through an additional source first. External apps seem much easier to work with/more of/etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page