2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 753 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81511Likes

post #22561 of 22909 Old 12-13-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked: 2641
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Yeah, I sincerely wish I didn’t have it in my head it’s the best quality just to not have to go through an additional source first. External apps seem much easier to work with/more of/etc.
I hear ya. There is always going to be the purists who say you can't really appreciate 4k HDR if you don't have a 7.1 system, or Atmos, or HD Audio for all of your programming. Can't really argue with that but there are lots of folks who can't, for various reasons. It's whatever works best for you given your budget, viewing environment, etc. Everything we've watched via the ATV4k sounds fantastic on our 5.1 system and coupled with 4k HDR it's muy bueno.
calfcramp likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22562 of 22909 Old 12-13-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I sincerely wish I didn’️t have it in my head it’️s the best quality just to not have to go through an additional source first. External apps seem much easier to work with/more of/etc.
I hear ya. There is always going to be the purists who say you can't really appreciate 4k HDR if you don't have a 7.1 system, or Atmos, or HD Audio for all of your programming. Can't really argue with that but there are lots of folks who can't, for various reasons. It's whatever works best for you given your budget, viewing environment, etc. Everything we've watched via the ATV4k sounds fantastic on our 5.1 system and coupled with 4k HDR it's muy bueno.
I could not agree with you more! You never know what you’re missing, but are simply able to be happy with and enjoy what you have unless you’re a purist that knows what they know and are happy with theirs as well. It’s a win win! Happiness is within the eye of the beholder, I truly believe. Gushy much? 😂
calfcramp likes this.
post #22563 of 22909 Old 12-13-2019, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
As I know many of you either have had previous OLED’s or have knowledge of them so I thought I’d ask about something I’m curious about. I’ve just read that the aspect ratio being locked to original within the tv’s Netflix app isn’t a Netflix issue as I assumed, rather an LG OLED issue. I was wondering if any of you knew which OLED model this issue was introduced in? Thanks in advance! 🙂
I am wondering what the issue is with original aspect ratio? I use that setting for all my inputs including cable, Blu-ray, PC, OTA and internal apps. All of my inputs look proper. I thought original means that the input will be displayed in the proper aspect ratio. Am I missing something?
calfcramp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22564 of 22909 Old 12-13-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
Quote:
As I know many of you either have had previous OLED’️s or have knowledge of them so I thought I’️d ask about something I’️m curious about. I’️ve just read that the aspect ratio being locked to original within the tv’️s Netflix app isn’️t a Netflix issue as I assumed, rather an LG OLED issue. I was wondering if any of you knew which OLED model this issue was introduced in? Thanks in advance! 🙂
I am wondering what the issue is with original aspect ratio? I use that setting for all my inputs including cable, Blu-ray, PC, OTA and internal apps. All of my inputs look proper. I thought original means that the input will be displayed in the proper aspect ratio. Am I missing something?
No, this is what I’ve seen as well. However, when it comes to Hulu and Amazon I’ve noticed sometimes when flipping between original and 16:9 certain shows will be a tad more zoomed in with the original instead of 16:9. I just like to get all of the detail zoomed back as far as possible but it’s VERY small to notice. I just wonder with Netflix if it’s the same for me.
calfcramp likes this.
post #22565 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
No, this is what I’ve seen as well. However, when it comes to Hulu and Amazon I’ve noticed sometimes when flipping between original and 16:9 certain shows will be a tad more zoomed in with the original instead of 16:9. I just like to get all of the detail zoomed back as far as possible but it’s VERY small to notice. I just wonder with Netflix if it’s the same for me.
Just some info. I have been through this as well and after a few days a testing{among other things}, the 16:9 ratio on every setting via every source, will be slightly zoomed in. Desktop, Video Games, Movies, etc! I just keep mine on original and just scan. You're right, it's barely noticeable. I sit 2-3 ft from my 55 C8, so everything is noticeable. All the good with all the bad. No complaints here, the good is so beautiful, I instantly forget what I think might be a defect!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #22566 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5382 Post(s)
Liked: 7774
Quote:
Yes this is only an internal Netflix app issue I believe. I thought it was a Netflix app issue locking at first until I read a review stating a previous OLED’s software didn’t lock it like this.
Hang on a minute, why are you calling this an "issue"? Please explain first why would you ever want to change this option away from that correct state and degrade the picture?

Setting "Original" with Just Scan "on" is the best, purest, most correct option - that's a fact not an opinion. Sometimes "16:9" zooms, sometimes it doesn't. But "Original" never zooms.

One of my bugbears is that the many manufacturer's TV's defaults are Just scan auto/off, which means every pixel is being scaled and the picture is being made worse - and the bugbear is that many ordinary users do not realise, they are not techy geeks like us here, and they are needlessly having a worse picture.

Having the best default, and locking it, is a very very good thing and not "one more reason to avoid internal apps" (that part is my opinion!)

You wrote
Quote:
I just like to get all of the detail zoomed back as far as possible
so you should be delighted to get a 1:1 pixel match with what you are supposed to get?

Like Mr @calfcramp , I've also checked this, easy to do with test slides. Setting "Original" with Just Scan "on" is the only setting which guarantees no zooming or processing. We should be rejoicing that one app has got it right, and helps users to get the best experience by default! If it had been locked to the wrong setting we'd be rightly up in arms, but it's correct. This is not an "issue" with the internal app, it's a perk!

Quote:
No, you are correct. All good! There are two settings to check and set properly. "original" is set, and "Just Scan" is "on" and not "auto" or "off". If either is wrong, you could get zooming.

EDIT: there's another facet to this which may help. Certain options are greyed out when they are "not applicable", rather than being specifically set to what they are displayed as. So don't worry too much about what word is displayed if it's greyed, because sometimes it's not doing what it says it's doing.
Examples:
  • Picture Options / Black Level (RGB) = High or Low. This is greyed out when the TV is receiving a non-RGB signal. It doesn't mean it's set at high or low. It just means "nothing I can do here".
  • Picture Options / Real Cinema. This is greyed out when the TV cannot do the processing that Real Cinema does, eg when the frame-rate is neither 24 nor 60. Again, if it's greyed out and "On" it doesn't mean it's doing the processing and has locked you out from changing it.

I expect the case is with the internal apps that they are delivering their content to the screen at points in the pipeline past where these options normally would do their processing. Eg (this is just an example to make the point, I'm not saying it works like this) if the zooming options can only process the signals from the HDMI inputs, they would always be greyed from the apps. They'd get support calls (not from me, I'd like this, but I bet they have canvassed users) if they put "n/a" there instead and greyed it, or left gaps.

HTH
tgr131, pwiss, calfcramp and 1 others like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 12-14-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #22567 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I froze Jack Ryan on Amazon and flipped and forth between original and 16:9 and could see no difference. This is of course with just scan=on as I use that for all sources along with original.
post #22568 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 10:56 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
That was the other halfs fault lol🤣
So you did not win enough to cover the trip and calibration? I hit for 12K once on a slot at a Ohio Casio
post #22569 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OK, C8 65" arrived in good condition and I unboxed it, and, with the help of others, hung it on my full motion wall mount (MW150C75) that was previously used for an older 52" Aquos. I will soon peel off the plastic (once I get the panel in the exact place I want) and start to go through and use RTngs settings (via YouTube).

Stupid question no 1:
1) I am excited to get 4k. My Xfinity set top box/dvr is 4k-capable, my Netflix subscription is now 4k level, my AVR passes 4k, etc etc. I run everything (HDMI from Xfinity X1 cable box, HDMI from FireStick 4k, and soon HDMI from 4k BluRay player) to my Denon AVR (family room modest 5.0 setup). My C8 sees only the HDMI coming from the AVR and I don't use the tv's speakers. So......I have 4k sources (Netflix, Disney +. Prime, etc) coming from three places:
LG onboard apps
Firestick 4k
Xfinity cable box

Am I correct in assuming that the LG onboard apps are a no-go for me cuz the tv has no audio by itself? Or is that what ARC is for?? I am ok with using the FireStick 4k or the apps on Xfinity but wondered. Sorry for the stupid question......they'll hopefully get better.

"We're all bozos on this bus" - F.T.

post #22570 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked: 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post
OK, C8 65" arrived in good condition and I unboxed it, and, with the help of others, hung it on my full motion wall mount (MW150C75) that was previously used for an older 52" Aquos. I will soon peel off the plastic (once I get the panel in the exact place I want) and start to go through and use RTngs settings (via YouTube).

Stupid question no 1:
1) I am excited to get 4k. My Xfinity set top box/dvr is 4k-capable, my Netflix subscription is now 4k level, my AVR passes 4k, etc etc. I run everything (HDMI from Xfinity X1 cable box, HDMI from FireStick 4k, and soon HDMI from 4k BluRay player) to my Denon AVR (family room modest 5.0 setup). My C8 sees only the HDMI coming from the AVR and I don't use the tv's speakers. So......I have 4k sources (Netflix, Disney +. Prime, etc) coming from three places:
LG onboard apps
Firestick 4k
Xfinity cable box

Am I correct in assuming that the LG onboard apps are a no-go for me cuz the tv has no audio by itself? Or is that what ARC is for?? I am ok with using the FireStick 4k or the apps on Xfinity but wondered. Sorry for the stupid question......they'll hopefully get better.

You can use arc or optical
Out for the onboard apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #22571 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Stupid question no 1:
LG onboard apps
Firestick 4k
Xfinity cable box

Yes you can use the Onboard LG apps for 4k, and send the audio to the Denon by plugging the Denon into the ARC input which is HDMI 2. In fact if the HDMI cable (That I assume is in your wall because you had a old tv already mounted) is old enough, it may not be capable of passing 4k HDR to the C8 even if your Denon can.
post #22572 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok thx guys. So I have set up HDMI2 and I have all new certified HDMI cables. What am I doing wrong when I try to play, say, Netflix onboard app. The Crown shows Dolby Vision and all looks nice but golf channel (hdmi2) audio still playing

post #22573 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok thx guys. So I have set up HDMI2 and I have all new certified HDMI cables. What am I doing wrong when I try to play, say, Netflix onboard app. The Crown shows Dolby Vision and all looks nice but golf channel (hdmi2) audio still playing
Don't know which denon you have but my manual states:
Set “HDMI Control” to “On” when using a TV that supports the ARC function.
post #22574 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Don’t have a Denon but my Pioneer has to be set to TV input
post #22575 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I froze Jack Ryan on Amazon and flipped and forth between original and 16:9 and could see no difference. This is of course with just scan=on as I use that for all sources along with original.
I've always used 16:9 and Just Scan on my LG tv's and never noticed a difference but maybe I should go back and check. If there is any "stretching" with 16:9 instead of Original, I've never been able to perceive it. Even my old Westerns in 4:3 look fine.
Jbhur212 likes this.

post #22576 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
Don't know which denon you have but my manual states:
Set “HDMI Control” to “On” when using a TV that supports the ARC function.

That did it, thanks.

Now I have more troubleshooting as the Xfinity box's Netflix is not passing 4k (the LG internal app is). It may well be the Ivanky HDMI cables (although they look great and I installed them before the C8 showed up; they super improved the 52" Aquos picture in the meantime). I will install the Firestick 4k and test Netflix (currently have my older FireStick V2 installed). If THAT doesn't pass 4k I know it's at least the new Ivanky HDMI cable to the tv (as the Firestick has it's own). Unless I am missing something....

post #22577 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That did it, thanks.

Now I have more troubleshooting as the Xfinity box's Netflix is not passing 4k (the LG internal app is). It may well be the Ivanky HDMI cables (although they look great and I installed them before the C8 showed up; they super improved the 52" Aquos picture in the meantime). I will install the Firestick 4k and test Netflix (currently have my older FireStick V2 installed). If THAT doesn't pass 4k I know it's at least the new Ivanky HDMI cable to the tv (as the Firestick has it's own). Unless I am missing something....
Well if you have 2 4k sources and they are set to output 4k and it's a no go, then I'd look at the denon before brand new high speed HDMI cables.

My older "4k" denon 2113ci in the bedroom will not pass 4k to a 4k Vizio as even though it's was advertised as 4k capable, it's HDCP version is to old. Hopefully this isn't your case.
post #22578 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That did it, thanks.

Personally I don’t use the Xfinity box for Netflix as it requires the box to output at 4K. I have my box output 720p(Xfinity outputs most everything at 720p in my market) and let the TV do the upscaling as it does that better than the box. I use the internal Netflix app as LG’s apps have been flawless for me and output Dolby Vision also which I doubt the Xfinity does.
post #22579 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I've always used 16:9 and Just Scan on my LG tv's and never noticed a difference but maybe I should go back and check. If there is any "stretching" with 16:9 instead of Original, I've never been able to perceive it. Even my old Westerns in 4:3 look fine.
Wouldn’t hurt to change to original. To me having just scan set to on is the most important part. I watched my original B7A for way too long without just scan on until someone in that thread pointed it out. That was one of those holy crap why didn’t I know this sooner moments.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #22580 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfcramp View Post
Quote:
No, this is what I’️ve seen as well. However, when it comes to Hulu and Amazon I’️ve noticed sometimes when flipping between original and 16:9 certain shows will be a tad more zoomed in with the original instead of 16:9. I just like to get all of the detail zoomed back as far as possible but it’️s VERY small to notice. I just wonder with Netflix if it’️s the same for me.
Just some info. I have been through this as well and after a few days a testing{among other things}, the 16:9 ratio on every setting via every source, will be slightly zoomed in. Desktop, Video Games, Movies, etc! I just keep mine on original and just scan. You're right, it's barely noticeable. I sit 2-3 ft from my 55 C8, so everything is noticeable. All the good with all the bad. No complaints here, the good is so beautiful, I instantly forget what I think might be a defect!
Yes original seems to be best with just scan on! 🙂 Except Hulu.. this is where I notice 16:9 is needed to not zoom. Quite often actually.
post #22581 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
Yes this is only an internal Netflix app issue I believe. I thought it was a Netflix app issue locking at first until I read a review stating a previous OLED’️s software didn’️t lock it like this.
Hang on a minute, why are you calling this an "issue"? Please explain first why would you ever want to change this option away from that correct state and degrade the picture?

Setting "Original" with Just Scan "on" is the best, purest, most correct option - that's a fact not an opinion. Sometimes "16:9" zooms, sometimes it doesn't. But "Original" never zooms.

One of my bugbears is that the many manufacturer's TV's defaults are Just scan auto/off, which means every pixel is being scaled and the picture is being made worse - and the bugbear is that many ordinary users do not realise, they are not techy geeks like us here, and they are needlessly having a worse picture.

Having the best default, and locking it, is a very very good thing and not "one more reason to avoid internal apps" (that part is my opinion!)

You wrote
Quote:
I just like to get all of the detail zoomed back as far as possible
so you should be delighted to get a 1:1 pixel match with what you are supposed to get?

Like Mr @calfcramp , I've also checked this, easy to do with test slides. Setting "Original" with Just Scan "on" is the only setting which guarantees no zooming or processing. We should be rejoicing that one app has got it right, and helps users to get the best experience by default! If it had been locked to the wrong setting we'd be rightly up in arms, but it's correct. This is not an "issue" with the internal app, it's a perk!

Quote:
No, you are correct. All good! There are two settings to check and set properly. "original" is set, and "Just Scan" is "on" and not "auto" or "off". If either is wrong, you could get zooming.

EDIT: there's another facet to this which may help. Certain options are greyed out when they are "not applicable", rather than being specifically set to what they are displayed as. So don't worry too much about what word is displayed if it's greyed, because sometimes it's not doing what it says it's doing.
Examples:
  • Picture Options / Black Level (RGB) = High or Low. This is greyed out when the TV is receiving a non-RGB signal. It doesn't mean it's set at high or low. It just means "nothing I can do here".
  • Picture Options / Real Cinema. This is greyed out when the TV cannot do the processing that Real Cinema does, eg when the frame-rate is neither 24 nor 60. Again, if it's greyed out and "On" it doesn't mean it's doing the processing and has locked you out from changing it.

I expect the case is with the internal apps that they are delivering their content to the screen at points in the pipeline past where these options normally would do their processing. Eg (this is just an example to make the point, I'm not saying it works like this) if the zooming options can only process the signals from the HDMI inputs, they would always be greyed from the apps. They'd get support calls (not from me, I'd like this, but I bet they have canvassed users) if they put "n/a" there instead and greyed it, or left gaps.

HTH [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Yes original with just scan on I’ve noticed doesn’t really do this for me outside of Hulu. Within Hulu not being able to flip between 16:9/original would be what I call an issue because on a lot of content original is zoomed in very slightly whereas 16:9 pulls it back a bit. It is an issue for me to not be able to see if Netflix is the same way that Hulu acts for certain content.

I agree that original/just scan on is best for almost all I’ve tried. However, with Hulu I’ve seen it happen quite often that 16:9 is best. Upon flipping between the two the headshot of a character pretty close original will show the head slightly larger than when I flip to it with 16:9 it very very slightly pulls back a little bit. It’s been seen mostly on older shows so I’m wondering if it’s just how Hulu has them uploaded or something. I’ve never noticed original/just scan on being an issue with Hulu being the exception. With the slight possibility a few Netflix shows (older ones possibly) do this as well I don’t like not being able to flip just to check.
post #22582 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, this is what I’️ve seen as well. However, when it comes to Hulu and Amazon I’️ve noticed sometimes when flipping between original and 16:9 certain shows will be a tad more zoomed in with the original instead of 16:9. I just like to get all of the detail zoomed back as far as possible but it’️s VERY small to notice. I just wonder with Netflix if it’️s the same for me.
Yes, I’m wondering if this purely with Hulu. When I think of it I don’t recall if it has ever happened outside of Hulu for me.. so it most likely is just the Hulu app.
post #22583 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I’m wondering if this purely with Hulu. When I think of it I don’t recall if it has ever happened outside of Hulu for me.. so it most likely is just the Hulu app.
I don’t have Hulu but if that is the case it looks like you need use 16:9 just for it. Slight inconvenience but at least you know you are getting the best PQ.
calfcramp likes this.
post #22584 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I’️m wondering if this purely with Hulu. When I think of it I don’️t recall if it has ever happened outside of Hulu for me.. so it most likely is just the Hulu app.
I don’️t have Hulu but if that is the case it looks like you need use 16:9 just for it. Slight inconvenience but at least you know you are getting the best PQ.
Well the absolutely crazy thing is that it’s not consistent! A lot of the newer shows and/or recordings flipping between 16:9 and original shows no change! So within Hulu I always check each one before watching just to Amman’s sure I am getting the best PQ. Which is why not being able to flip in Netflix like I can in prime and Hulu poses an issue for me because I’m wondering if Netflix sometimes does like Hulu has. Darn Hulu anyways making this relevant for me. lol
post #22585 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, in the past 24hrs I've actually had time to watch chapter 6 of The Mandalorian on the 2013 panny plasma in the living room with low lights after the wife and little one went to bed, again this morning in the bedroom with low lights on the 2014 vizio p series when the wife got up with the little one so I could sleep in.

Just now I watched it on the C8 in the office with very low lights on a 4k fire stick in Dolby Vision. I was very impressed. I know that The Mandalorian was criticized for having "fake HDR" of only 200 nits on previous episodes. But if this was only 200 nits, it's more than enough for this display in a dark environment. It wasn't even close to my SDR sets. Flashing emergency lights in scenes almost had me blinking. I couldn't be happier with this TV.
djoberg likes this.
post #22586 of 22909 Old 12-14-2019, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Personally I don’t use the Xfinity box for Netflix as it requires the box to output at 4K. I have my box output 720p(Xfinity outputs most everything at 720p in my market) and let the TV do the upscaling as it does that better than the box. I use the internal Netflix app as LG’s apps have been flawless for me and output Dolby Vision also which I doubt the Xfinity does.

Great point! I had the Xfinity set to output 1080i, which after testing, I will leave it there as I agree that the box does a poor job upsampling cable content to 4k.

My Firestick 4k looks great, as do the internal LG apps. The HDMI cables and AVR are not an issue. Thx, group, for all the help on day one of my C8 ownership.
calfcramp and mrtickleuk like this.

post #22587 of 22909 Old 12-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Wouldn’t hurt to change to original. To me having just scan set to on is the most important part. I watched my original B7A for way too long without just scan on until someone in that thread pointed it out. That was one of those holy crap why didn’t I know this sooner moments.
I'll give it a try today and see if I can perceive any difference. I've always uses Just Scan since the days of my old LG LCD downstairs and waffled a bit between 16:9 and original, settling on 16:9 because I didn't really see a difference. I'll change both LG's today and let it ride for awhile.

post #22588 of 22909 Old 12-15-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Ok, in the past 24hrs I've actually had time to watch chapter 6 of The Mandalorian on the 2013 panny plasma in the living room with low lights after the wife and little one went to bed, again this morning in the bedroom with low lights on the 2014 vizio p series when the wife got up with the little one so I could sleep in.

Just now I watched it on the C8 in the office with very low lights on a 4k fire stick in Dolby Vision. I was very impressed. I know that The Mandalorian was criticized for having "fake HDR" of only 200 nits on previous episodes. But if this was only 200 nits, it's more than enough for this display in a dark environment. It wasn't even close to my SDR sets. Flashing emergency lights in scenes almost had me blinking. I couldn't be happier with this TV.

I am not a fan of streaming but as criticized as it is by the"experts" The Mandalorian looks great. So do many others movies and shows on Disney+ when viewing on my E8 and C7 tv's.
post #22589 of 22909 Old 12-15-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well if you have 2 4k sources and they are set to output 4k and it's a no go, then I'd look at the denon before brand new high speed HDMI cables.

My older "4k" denon 2113ci in the bedroom will not pass 4k to a 4k Vizio as even though it's was advertised as 4k capable, it's HDCP version is to old. Hopefully this isn't your case.
Had same problem with my Pioneer receiver that said it would pass 4k. Would pass plain 4k but a no go for 4k HDR10 or Dolby Vision. Seems that “good” 4k requires better HDCP than the receiver supported. updated to newer model, problem solved.
post #22590 of 22909 Old 12-15-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Basically Hulu sucks, you pay to watch & still get commercials that you cannot fast forward thru, it has been no 4k & only stereo audio. Now claim they have some 4k & some 5.1. I have a feeling there are having problems getting this new stuff configured correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page