2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 763 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81619Likes

post #22861 of 23124 Old 01-16-2020, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked: 3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Agreed, however I guess what I am confused about is Jrocker saying the calibrators and installers say the warm2 is the most "accurate" to a calibrated pic. I know well what a calibrated pic looks like, and what I am at least seeing on my set with warm2 or the HDR10 settings is in no way accurate. My very slight adjustments seem to yield what my halfway trained eye would consider much more accurate. Only way to really know I guess tho is to test with a meter which I don't own. For now, in the immortal words of the Cookie Monster, "C is for Cookie, That's good enough for me"

Sets drift , mine drifted towards red yours may have also .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cam1977 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22862 of 23124 Old 01-16-2020, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 5525 Post(s)
Liked: 8000
As well as drift, there's also panel variances and metamerism (where D65 still doesn't look right, so you use an alternative white point which looks like D65 on a CRT). I'm sure I've done measurements of them all in the past but don't have them to hand. Maybe over the weekend.
chunon likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #22863 of 23124 Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 411
You Paid for it, make it look the way you like it.

I am one of those that has tried both, my way and the accurate way.
I still like my way the best.
I am one of those weird people who thinks his TV's in his home look better than the Movie Theater.

I have sure enjoyed my sets a lot more since I realized their mine to do with what ever I want.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee

Last edited by Glenee; 01-16-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22864 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
A good way to correct the drift towards the red is to enter the service menu and raise the blue RGB gain points, this makes the red decrease, since calibrating the white point from the SM is much much simpler.
post #22865 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Ferreres Gordillo View Post
A good way to correct the drift towards the red is to enter the service menu and raise the blue RGB gain points, this makes the red decrease, since calibrating the white point from the SM is much much simpler.
You are not doing anything you could not do in the Regular available menu's. Therefore I would not go into, or advise anyone to correct this in this manner. This is just taking a chance that does not have to be taken.
IMHO
Otto Pylot and Jrocker23 like this.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #22866 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
You are not doing anything you could not do in the Regular available menu's. Therefore I would not go into, or advise anyone to correct this in this manner. This is just taking a chance that does not have to be taken.
IMHO

Not too mention doing it without a meter is pretty much a shot in the dark.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #22867 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 3798 Post(s)
Liked: 2701
Quote:

Without a meter that's just a best guess, and dangerous.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #22868 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Of course a meter is necessary, correcting the white point from the SM works much better than from the user menu, just by touching the RGB gain is corrected very well and the grayscale tracking is much more stable, in addition it does not alter the gamma or introduce artifacts. Always at your own risk and knowing what is done.
post #22869 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 09:06 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 7174 Post(s)
Liked: 7207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
I am one of those weird people who thinks his TV's in his home look better than the Movie Theater.
I agree, but there is nothing like $5 movie night at the Theater.
Glenee and rdgcss like this.
post #22870 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Of course a meter is necessary, correcting the white point from the SM works much better than from the user menu, just by touching the RGB gain is corrected very well and the grayscale tracking is much more stable, in addition it does not alter the gamma or introduce artifacts. Always at your own risk and knowing what is done.

You didn’t make that clear in your original post .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #22871 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 09:24 AM

2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Without a meter that's just a best guess, and dangerous.

I don’t know if I would use the word “dangerous” unless you mean the service menu .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #22872 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
I don’t know if I would use the word “dangerous” unless you mean the service menu .

Yeah, dangerous may have been too strong of a word. Unadvisable may have been more appropriate for entering the SM.
Glenee and chunon like this.

post #22873 of 23124 Old 01-17-2020, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 70
if you do go into the service menu just note down all the values thats already there as its easy to click Reset
post #22874 of 23124 Old 01-18-2020, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Harmony + C8 Question

I use a Harmony 950 with my C8. I just ditched DirecTV in favor of YouTube TV and I use the other apps on the TV, like CBS All Access, Vudu, etc.

I successfully set my favorite apps to the "Quick Access" buttons on the Magic Remote, and then I had the Harmony "learn" the Quick Access. This works well. I've got touch screen buttons that activate each of my favorite apps.

I'm trying to nail the "User Experience" for my family. If I set up a Smart TV activity, it won't fire up YTTV, because it had to learn a "LONG PRESS" from the Magic remote, and the startup sequence won't do that. It just stops on the "no signal" with the gallery rotating in the background.

I'd thought about just building an attractive wallpaper for the Smart TV activity with instructions on it -- "You're on Smart TV" and a prompt to select programming. But there doesn't seem to be a way to change the default gallery to do this.

Any of you Harmony + C8 users out there come up with a clever solution to this? How do you use the apps with your Harmony?

Thanks

D
post #22875 of 23124 Old 01-20-2020, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgr131 View Post
I use a Harmony 950 with my C8. I just ditched DirecTV in favor of YouTube TV and I use the other apps on the TV, like CBS All Access, Vudu, etc.

I successfully set my favorite apps to the "Quick Access" buttons on the Magic Remote, and then I had the Harmony "learn" the Quick Access. This works well. I've got touch screen buttons that activate each of my favorite apps.

I'm trying to nail the "User Experience" for my family. If I set up a Smart TV activity, it won't fire up YTTV, because it had to learn a "LONG PRESS" from the Magic remote, and the startup sequence won't do that. It just stops on the "no signal" with the gallery rotating in the background.

I'd thought about just building an attractive wallpaper for the Smart TV activity with instructions on it -- "You're on Smart TV" and a prompt to select programming. But there doesn't seem to be a way to change the default gallery to do this.

Any of you Harmony + C8 users out there come up with a clever solution to this? How do you use the apps with your Harmony?

Thanks

D
I'm using a Harmony one & had to add (as the last commmand) the command "Home" for that activity for my C8 to get in to the Gallery.
Then I had to manually select what I want to use from there (in my case the app SF Anytime in my C8).
I hope that helps...
Sysk167

Last edited by sysk167; 01-20-2020 at 05:31 AM.
post #22876 of 23124 Old 01-20-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi to all i am new to this forum. I had to ask for help here because no one can help from lg support or other forums.
My C8 doing something really strange when Oled light is under 79 on some colours like gray or green or red i see flickering on brightness but only in these spots not in all screen.
I tested with some static pictures and also doing that again only if i have oled light under 79 even using default profiles or making factory defaults or resetting this happens.
I have nothing attached on TV and honestly this driving me crazy because some times is not happening at all.
I tried to use 80 oled light for some days problem has solved but i really cant use the tv like that its way to bright.
Sory for my 1st post beeing asking for help but i had no other solution.
Thanks
post #22877 of 23124 Old 01-20-2020, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysk167 View Post
I'm using a Harmony one & had to add (as the last commmand) the command "Home" for that activity for my C8 to get in to the Gallery.
Then I had to manually select what I want to use from there (in my case the app SF Anytime in my C8).
I hope that helps...
Sysk167
You can arrange the order the apps appear in to suit your taste, put your favorites 1st
Cam1977 likes this.
post #22878 of 23124 Old 01-20-2020, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Agreed, however I guess what I am confused about is Jrocker saying the calibrators and installers say the warm2 is the most "accurate" to a calibrated pic. I know well what a calibrated pic looks like, and what I am at least seeing on my set with warm2 or the HDR10 settings is in no way accurate. My very slight adjustments seem to yield what my halfway trained eye would consider much more accurate. Only way to really know I guess tho is to test with a meter which I don't own. For now, in the immortal words of the Cookie Monster, "C is for Cookie, That's good enough for me"
I'm in the same boat as you and did something similar after switching to warm1 I also have technicolour presed at medium for netflix non hdr content and added some red , gamma Bt1886 oled light 42. All other presets I have at warm1 and seem different for Amazon and Fox cable when compared to Netflix.

I'm not sure why Netflix content appears different on my TV maybe someone else has noticed the same thing.

cheers

Lg OLED65E8PTA , Sonos 3.1 for the loud stuff.
post #22879 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Has anyone succeeded in connecting the headphone out (3.5mm jack) to the L/R RCA inputs of an "old" non-digital hi-fi amplifier, by means of a suitable 1/8 TRS to RCA splitter cable?
Is such a connection safe for the TV (and the amplifier)?
post #22880 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a similar setup (YTTV in the TV apps) plus Harmony remote. I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you want one activity on the Harmony to be just "Watch YTTV". Instead of directly activating YTTV, try using a macro to select it. It would be something like Home + appropriate number of right clicks to get to TYYV (I have mine in the first slot) + Enter. You'd have to change your macro if you rearrange the Home menu of the TV though.

As a alternative though, I have mine set up with an activity just simply called "Watch TV". All it does (in addition to setting the correct inputs on the TV and AVR) is leave you at the Home screen of the TV so the user can go from there to select which app they want - YouTubeTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, etc. My wife and daughter have been good with this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgr131 View Post

Thanks

D
tgr131 likes this.

Last edited by msat; 01-21-2020 at 07:38 AM.
post #22881 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmand View Post
Has anyone succeeded in connecting the headphone out (3.5mm jack) to the L/R RCA inputs of an "old" non-digital hi-fi amplifier, by means of a suitable 1/8 TRS to RCA splitter cable?
Is such a connection safe for the TV (and the amplifier)?
I use that output from my C8 to a Zvox Soundbase speaker and it works fine. The Soundbase has its own built in amp. You also need to turn off the internal speaker for the C8 using the C8's sound settings or the echo effect will drive you nuts. In the C8 sound settings I just turn it to Optical out. The sound from the C8's RCA out stays on. This has worked fine for me for over a year.
post #22882 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTBC View Post
I use that output from my C8 to a Zvox Soundbase speaker and it works fine. ... In the C8 sound settings I just turn it to Optical out. The sound from the C8's RCA out stays on. This has worked fine for me for over a year.
Thanks for your answer.
It seems strange to me you have to enable "Optical out" although you are not using the optical output.
Anyway, I suppose when you say "C8's RCA out" you refer to the mentioned headphone 3.5mm output. Is that correct?
post #22883 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Am wanting to avoid dust and other particles flying through the air when having some work done in the same room as the TV. Have covered it with a sheet. Am concerned about static electricity though.. should I unplug it as well or is it okay? Any other suggestions? I so greatly appreciate any help to protect it as much as possible with this being a week long deal!
post #22884 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmand View Post
Thanks for your answer.
It seems strange to me you have to enable "Optical out" although you are not using the optical output.
Anyway, I suppose when you say "C8's RCA out" you refer to the mentioned headphone 3.5mm output. Is that correct?

First an apology on my part. It's been well over a year since I set up my C8 and it appears I forgot what I actually did. I use separate sound set ups for my cable TV watching. I confused my set up for these with your question. I use RCA from my cable box to my Zvox Soundbase speaker for audio for everyday watching of news and series TV, but not anything from the headphone jack on the C8. I also obviously have an HDMI connection from my cable box to my C8. Using this set up if I don't turn off the C8's speakers there is an echo/reverb effect since the two outputs end up slightly out of sync. I also use the Optical out from my C8 to my Denon receiver for watching cable movies. Thus I just leave my C8 sound to Optical out at all times.

So bottom line I don't use the C8 headphone out. Sorry for my confusion. Anyone here can correct me but I don't think you will encounter any real problems using the headphone 3.5mm out to connect an external amp or receiver. You may still have to turn off the C8's speakers by selecting a different output option if you also encounter an echo/reverb effect.
post #22885 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Am wanting to avoid dust and other particles flying through the air when having some work done in the same room as the TV. Have covered it with a sheet. Am concerned about static electricity though.. should I unplug it as well or is it okay? Any other suggestions? I so greatly appreciate any help to protect it as much as possible with this being a week long deal!

Went thru almost the same thing last summer. Just unplug it (probably not necessary but it can't hurt) and throw a painter's drop cloth over it. When done, I just dusted it off, especially around the vents with canned air.
Cam1977 likes this.

post #22886 of 23124 Old 01-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post

Went thru almost the same thing last summer. Just unplug it (probably not necessary but it can't hurt) and throw a painter's drop cloth over it. When done, I just dusted it off, especially around the vents with canned air.
Thanks so so so much! It feels so good to know someone went through something similar safely and what to do! Thanks again! 🙂
post #22887 of 23124 Old 01-22-2020, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 369
^^ I'm impressed some people are treating this TV like the most precious gem (or a car or antique or other) they own, love it! Isn't there a word for that?
Cam1977 likes this.
post #22888 of 23124 Old 01-22-2020, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ I'm impressed some people are treating this TV like the most precious gem (or a car or antique or other) they own, love it! Isn't there a word for that?
Yes there is, it's called misogyny. (lol)
Cam1977 likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #22889 of 23124 Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM

What about cleaning the screen with absolutely no "harm" ?
Taken for granted that the best prevention lays in... never dirtying, what do you use to just remove dust being sure not to "damage" or anoint the screen in any way? :]
post #22890 of 23124 Old 01-22-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3178 Post(s)
Liked: 3921
^I use a swiffer duster...gently of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page